Owner Review - T-MOS ONE CUP COFFEE CADDY

  • Walter Leicher
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2009
      Tiny URL - http://tinyurl.com/ycb2e5l

      T-MOS ONE CUP COFFEE CADDY

      BY WALTER LEICHER

      OWNER REVIEW

      December 09, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Walter Leicher

      EMAIL: walter@...

      AGE: 44

      LOCATION: Alpharetta, Georgia United States

      GENDER: m

      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.90 m)

      WEIGHT: 185 lb (83.90 kg)

      TORSO 34 In - 84 CM

      I started backpacking about twenty years ago. This interest has intensified
      once my sons became old enough to hike with me. I love the outdoors and
      besides hiking, I enjoy outdoor adventure sports like adventure racing,
      caving, rock climbing and canoeing as well. Since becoming involved in Boy
      Scouts, I hike much more frequently. Most trips with Boy Scouts are
      weekenders but I have done several longer hikes in Africa. I am frugal and
      I am always seeking the point where the cost of shaving an extra ounce
      exceeds the benefit. Currently most of my hiking is done in the south east
      of the United States.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: T-Mos Inc.

      Year of Manufacture: 2007

      Manufacturer's Website: None

      MSRP: US$ 4:50

      Listed Weight: 1.75 ounces (50 g)

      Actual Weight: 1.756 ounces (50 g)

      Listed Dimensions 4.5 x 4 inches (11.43 cm)

      Actual Dimensions 4.5 x 4 inches (11.43 cm)

      Material Plastic

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "One Cup Coffee
      Caddy">>

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      This one-cup coffee maker is a cone shaped coffee maker which fits on top of
      a coffee cup and is designed to make one medium size cup of coffee. It has
      a wide rim at the bottom which rests on the brim of the cup. There is a
      removable fine mesh filter which catches the ground coffee. The product is
      brown in color and is made entirely out of plastic. The product is light
      and looks very robust.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 8" IMAGE CAPTION = "The Coffee Caddy
      in operation">>

      USAGE CONDITIONS

      I have used the one-put coffee maker on several hikes and camp trips. My
      first trip using this little gem was on the Blood Mountain section of the
      Appalachian Trail and the tallest mountain on the Georgia section of the
      Appalachian Trail, with an elevation of 4,458 feet (1,359 m). It was late
      fall and the wind was howling. The coffee was great, the conversation was
      stimulating, the skies were blue and life was good for me.

      I subsequently used the one cup coffee maker on many occasions in North
      Georgia on the Conasauga River Trail at 3,800 ft (1,158 m) in spring,
      Pinhoti Trial at elevation 2,342 ft (714 m) in late summer and on the
      Withlacoochee canoe trip in Northern Florida at elevation 86 feet (26.21 m)
      in late summer.

      REVIEW

      I cannot recall which came first, my love for coffee when hiking or my
      search for a way to make this Black Liquid That Giveth Morning Life in a
      way. I have searched the four corners of this earth and tried anything from
      instant coffee, French presses, liquid sachets, coffee bags, silk stockings
      and many more innovative ideas to match my desire for a good cup of coffee.
      The attempts were always too heavy, too bulky or the coffee was simply
      ghastly.

      Then I stumbled on the one cup coffee maker. I did a lot of research before
      I purchased the coffee maker and found a community deeply divided. Those
      who loved the coffee maker truly loved it and those who did not like truly
      hated it with the main complaints being that it is bulky and that it clogs
      easily.

      When I took the coffee maker for the first time, I made sure that I ground
      the beans coarsely to prevent the filter from clogging up. On a typical
      morning when I embark on my quest to produce a cup of the Nectar of the
      Gods, I typically boil a cup of water, scoop slightly more than a heaped
      table spoon of coffee into the coffee maker and poor the boiling water into
      the coffee maker.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "The Coffee Caddy
      from above">>

      I tap the coffee maker on the brim of the cup to ensure that the coffee
      flows through the filter and voila! I have a steaming hot, aromatic cup of
      coffee.

      The filter disassembles easily to enable you to remove the used coffee
      grinds by tapping the filter against a tree and rinsing it.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT =
      "IMAGE 7">>

      I can understand that people might find the coffee maker slightly bulky but
      I used an old nalgene bottle to serve as protection, holder for my coffee
      and the coffee maker.

      This solution truly works well for me.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "The Coffee Caddy
      inside a nalgene container">>

      THINGS I LIKE

      It is light

      Inexpensive

      Easy to clean

      virtually indestructible

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Slightly bulky

      SUMMARY

      I love using this product and recommend this product for other coffee
      craving hikers.

      SIGNATURE

      Walter Leicher

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 14, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 14, 2009
          Hi Walter,

          I have already added your review to the edit queue but will you please revise your OR with a more clear estimate of the number of days and/or nights you have used this product. Several is not specific enough for us.

          I appreciate it.
          Jamie DeBenedetto
          Edit Admin Manager
        • Ray
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2010
            Hello Walter,

            Nice job on your first Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

            EDIT: must be changed

            When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please. Since you included the HTML I am editing from it so you can place a corrected version there too.

            Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

            A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

            Ray

            ***TORSO 34 In – 84 CM

            EDIT: the abbreviations should be as so: 34 in / 84 cm (no caps) and use either a comma, a /, or () for the metric as a hyphen means "between" when placed between two numbers

            ***I started backpacking about twenty years ago.

            EDIT: we have a 100 word limit on the bios. Can you please trim yours down a bit?

            ***MSRP: US$ 4:50

            EDIT: if the MSRP is not on the manufacturer's website we just mark this as N/A

            ***Listed Weight: 1.75 ounces (50 g)
            Actual Weight: 1.756 ounces (50 g)
            Listed Dimensions 4.5 x 4 inches (11.43 cm)

            Comment: where are you getting the listed info from? Also please round the numbers off to the first decimal point.

            *** It was late fall and the wind was howling. The coffee was great, the conversation was stimulating, the skies were blue and life was good

            Comment: I like your hiking attitude Walter.

            ***The filter disassembles easily to enable you to remove the used coffee grinds by tapping the filter against a tree and rinsing it.

            EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s, just "me" and "I". Here is my canned explanation.

            Projection

            "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

            This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

            We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

            "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

            ***I can understand that people might find the coffee maker slightly bulky but I used an old nalgene bottle to serve as protection, holder for my coffee and the coffee maker.

            The Coffee Caddy inside a nalgene container

            EDIT: Nalgene (proper noun)