REPOST: Tim Earley OWNER REVIEW - Rab Vapour-rise Trail Jacket

  • Tim Earley
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2009
      Ray,

      Thanks for taking a look at my review and thanks for the edits. I've
      corrected the ones that were noted. The updated review appears below. I
      also removed "Things I Like" #4 because it referenced the price and value
      and I couldn't find an MSRP. I was really referencing the price I paid.
      Let me know if you want it back in there. I checked out the weight
      discrepancy and I think it was just a typo as the ounces listed were the
      correct conversion for 440 grams. Must have just hit the 5 instead of the
      4. Finally, I think I got all the "yous" out of there. You must have been
      pulling your hair out reading all of those!

      Thanks again and let me know if I need to fix anything else.

      Tim

      *Rab Vapour-Rise Trail Jacket*

      *Owner Review*

      *Tester Information:*
      Name: Tim Earley
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0"/ 1.80 m
      Weight: 185 lb/ 84 kg
      Email address: timothy.earley@...
      City, State, Country: Yonkers, New York, USA

      *Backpacking Background:*
      My first exposure to backpacking was about seven years ago in the Army where
      I learned everything I needed to learn about being comfortable in the
      wilderness with little to no �comfort gear.� I primarily do day hikes now,
      with the occasional overnight jaunt thrown in whenever possible. I consider
      myself a lightweight packer, though not a minimalist. My favorite hikes are
      those that have significant elevation change as these provide the best
      views, most challenge and best reward. I am most comfortable in cool to
      cold weather as I tend to overheat in other seasons.

      *Product Information:*

      Manufacturer: Rab

      Model: Vapour-Rise Trail Jacket

      Sizes: S-XXL available, XLarge reviewed

      Color: Royal Blue and Black; available in dark shark (gray) and orange

      Year of Manufacture: 2009

      URL:www.rab.uk.com

      Listed weight: 15.52 oz (440 g)

      Measured weight:16.2 oz (459 g) for an extra large

      Fabric Content: Shell: 100% Polyamide; Lining 100% Polyester

      Country of Manufacture: China

      *Product Description:*
      The Vapour-rise jacket is described by Rab as a year round mountain walking
      jacket with fully protective features and the perfect balance of
      windproofing and breathability. The shell is made of Pertex Equilibrium
      fabric. This fabric is designed to be highly windproof yet breathable,
      maintaining an ideal microclimate around the user. Not surprising
      considering the name Equilibrium! The inner liner is a soft fleecy material
      that is designed to pull moisture away from the skin and/or off the user�s
      baselayer and through the outer shell. It is also very comfortable and warm
      when worn against the skin. This layer seems to move independently of the
      outer fabric. This can be a problem when putting donning the jacket with a
      baselayer on as the inner fabric will tend to stick to the baselayer and a
      bit of it ends up sticking out through the cuffs. This is solved by using
      one hand to hold the �armpit� of the inner material while pushing the other
      hand through the sleeve. Alternatively, a baselayer designed to slide under
      insulating garments works well. I use a Power Strech Zip T and it does not
      snag on the inner fabric. My Capilene 2, however, does snag.

      There are two zippered hand pocket and one zippered chest pocket. They all
      have a piece of 1 1/2 inch (3.8 cm) cord attached to the zippers to make
      them usable with gloves on. The chest pocket is sized for a standard sized
      trail map folded in half. The hand pockets are good for warming my digits
      and stashing lip balm, snacks, etc.

      The front of the jacket has a single non-weatherproof zipper that zips on
      the left side. I didn�t realize this until I put it on for the second time
      on an ice climbing trip and thought �Oh no, I bought a girl�s jacket!� but
      then thought maybe the left side zipper was a European custom as Rab is a
      European company.

      Jacket hem is cut right below my hips so it�s a perfect length for a
      softshell layer, allowing plenty of mobility. The only problem is that the
      hem can be a bit �loose� and so I almost always tighten the two shock-corded
      pulls and tighten down the waist whenever I�m hitting the trails. The
      collar of the jacket comes up nice and high to protect the lower chin and
      neck and also folds back nicely if I don�t zip it up all the way (I rarely
      do). The hood rolls into the collar and is help in place by hook and loop
      fasteners. An interesting fact about the hood (and all Rab hoods, I
      believe) is that there is a wire brim in it. This allows me to bend the
      brim of the hood however I see fit and it will stay that way. This is a
      huge advantage over lots of jackets where the hoods have come down over my
      eyes when tightened. The hood can also be tightened by classic shockcorded
      toggles on either side.

      *Initial Impressions:*

      My first experience with the Vapour-rise jacket, and with Rab as a whole,
      was in a gear shop right before my girlfriend and I headed out on an ice
      climbing trip on February 14th, 2009. Yes, that�s right, we went ice
      climbing for Valentine�s Day! I was looking for a good softshell option and
      this jacket was recommended by one of the gear shop employees. His exact
      words were �This is the greatest jacket ever. You will never need another
      jacket.� So far, he�s right.

      I was immediately impressed with the fit of the jacket. When I put it on I
      was thrilled with how it fit my body. I�m a medium build person and this
      just fit me perfectly. With that said, it was obvious to me that no more
      than a heavy base layer would fit under the jacket (this actually turned out
      to be incorrect, as you�ll read later on).

      I did notice a few loose threads, especially around the cuffs. They
      appeared to be of the inner fabric, not the Pertex shell. I figured these
      were just from the manufacturing process and pulled them out with no issue.
      I also noticed that there were no pit zips and this concerned me a bit
      though the breathability of the garment has proven them unnecessary.

      *Owner Review*

      *Field Conditions:*
      I have used this jacket ice climbing, skiing, hiking, backpacking and for
      everyday around town use. Temperatures have ranged from 5 degrees
      Fahrenheit to about 55 degrees Fahrenheit (-15 degrees Celsius to 13 degrees
      Celsius). It has seen approximately 18 full days in the field as well as
      literally every day around town when temperatures are appropriate. Every
      day in the field was with a pack on so it has stood up to pack abrasion
      well.

      This jacket has seen rain, snow, and sleet and shed it well for a
      softshell. It also sheds all but the worst wind well.

      This is my go-to jacket any time I go outdoors for any activity. If it�s
      too warm to wear while working, it�s a great layer to have around camp at
      night. If it�s too cold to wear it in camp, it�s the perfect outer layer
      while moving. This versatility has earned it a permanent spot in my pack.

      *Review:*
      Overall I am thrilled with the performance of this jacket. I had high
      expectations after the words of that gear shop employee but it has lived up
      to them. The combination of warmth, windproofing, weather resistance and
      breathability seems impossible. This jacket blocks all but the coldest
      winds, sheds all rain short of a downpour (or a consistent rain as it is
      still a softshell), and breathes well enough that I rarely overheat.

      The versatility of this jacket is another area that shines. The inner
      fabric wicks well enough that the jacket can be worn by itself against the
      skin in early spring weather or during high output activities in the fall
      and early winter. I also found that I was able to fit a surprising amount
      of insulation under it in bitter cold. To this end, I�ve worn this jacket
      by itself against the skin, as an insulating layer, and as an outer layer.
      You don�t get much more versatile than that!

      There are only two jackets I use in addition to this. A basic hardshell for
      really nasty weather, and an insulated parka for when it�s extremely cold or
      winter camping in camp. This jacket fills every other need.

      *Summary:*

      I was looking for a durable and versatile softshell jacket that would be
      useful in as many conditions as possible. This jacket hit the bullseye. I
      am very pleased with the weather resistance, wind resistance, warmth, and
      breathability. I will continue to use this jacket on all my outdoor
      outings.

      *The Good:*

      1. Breathability

      2. Versatility

      3. Wind Resistance

      **

      *The Bad*

      1. The inner layer snags every time I put this jacket on. Very annoying.

      2. The jacket can ride up in front when I have my pack belt tightened.

      3. The front zipper can be very stubborn to get started.

      **

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 2009
        Hi Tim

        This is much better. I have a few more edits for you. Once done you can repost here. You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;

        http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

        The free BGT Report Writer for HTML creation may be found here;

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1

        support group,

        BGTFileUploadHelp @

        Please let me have a link to the review or at least the name once you have it uploaded.

        *** I use a Power Strech Zip T and it does not snag on the inner fabric. My Capilene 2, however, does snag.

        Edit: I would say "My Capilene 2 `baselayer', however, does snag."

        ***There are two zippered hand pocket and one zippered chest pocket.

        EDIT: two zippered hand "pockets" (plural)

        *** They all have a piece of 1 1/2 inch (3.8 cm) cord attached

        EDIT: 1-1/2 inch

        ***There are only two jackets I use in addition to this.

        Comment: do you mean two jackets "besides" the Rab? In addition implies that you use them along with it, which may be the case, I don't know.
      • Tim Earley
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 10, 2009
          Hey Ray,
          Thanks again for taking a look at that. Here are the changes as
          requested. I've also uploaded the file to the text owner review folder. Here's
          the link to the Owner Review.
          <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Owner%20Review%20-%20Tim%20Earley%20RAB%20Vapour%20Rise%20Jacket/>I
          had a little trouble with the formatting (I'm using a Mac so I checked out
          the help forums) and had to upload/delete about a half dozen times, but it
          should be good to go now. I hope you guys don't get notices every time
          something is uploaded!
          Please let me know if there's anything else you need.
          Thanks!

[...]

          snag on the inner fabric. My Capilene 2 baselayer, however, does snag.

          There are two zippered hand pockets and one zippered chest pocket. They all
[...]

          There are only two jackets I carry besides this. A basic hardshell for

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 11, 2009
            Hi Tim,

            All right, the HTML version looks good. I just see a couple things. First you need the date in the title section. So it would look like this;

            Rab Vapour-Rise Trail Jacket
            Owner Review
            December 11, 2009

            ***Jacket hem is cut right below my hips so it's a perfect length for a softshell layer,

            Edit: you should start the sentence with, "The" jacket hem is…

            Once you make the changes you can upload it to its new home at

            Reviews > Clothing > Jackets > Rab Vapour-Rise Trail Jacket

            Or: http://tinyurl.com/ycux4mt

            Make sure to highlight the Owner Review button.

            Congratulations, your first Owner Review is done. Now on to number two. Please keep in mind that you will need to have at least one picture in your next review. And since you know how to use the test folder now by submitting the HTML version at the same time as the first post the process will go that much faster for you.

            See you down the trail,

            Ray
          • Tim Earley
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 11, 2009
              Thanks for all your help with it, Ray. I made the changes and have uploaded
              it to the appropriate folder.
              Now on to number two!
              Tim