REVISED OWNER REVIEW: Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 32 Long

  • flatovercrest6
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2009
      Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 32 Long

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Erik Olsen
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'2" (1.89 Meters)
      Weight: 220 lbs (98.8 kg)
      Email address: flatovercrest6@...
      City, State, Country: Traverse City, Michigan, United States
      Date: Nov 26, 2009

      Backpacking Background:

      "To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else". Emily Dickinson.

      I have been trying my best to play the role of "backpacking ambassador" lately; I was drawn into backpacking and the outdoors by my father, and am trying to pass that love on to my friends and family. I bike, hike, photograph, kayak and backpack any chance I can, but in trying to get my friends involved I feel that I have been limited to anywhere within a days drive. I peruse the rougher areas of Michigan. I am very hard on gear, I like to play rough tend to pack heavy and am slowly learning from this. Expect to see me moving toward lighter gear. I usually am a 4 season camper and excited for snow shelter season.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Mountain Hardware
      Model: Ultralamina 32 long
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Listed weight: 1lb 15 Ounces (870 Grams)
      Length Inside: 84 Inches (213.36 cm)
      Shoulder Girth: 62 Inches (157.48 cm)
      Foot Girth: 40 Inches (101.60 cm)
      Stuffed Length: 10 Inches (25.40 cm)
      Stuffed Diameter: 6.5 Inches (16.51 cm)

      MSRP: $200.00 (long) $190.00 (Reg)

      The Ultralamina comes in a plastic bag, packed loosely inside its mesh storage bag to insure no damage is done to the baffles after being stored for extended amounts of time (or during shipping). The Ultralamina does come with a stuff sack.

      • Imported.
      • Efficient mummy shape.
      • Welded "Lamina" construction.
      • Thermic-Micro Fill
      • Dual #5 Zippers 1/3rd length zip
      • Face Gasket
      • Zippered pocket for storage on left shoulder.

      The Ultralamina 32 is a unique bag utilizing a unique blend of new technology and ideas with traditional elements to maintain affordability. This is a thin line in some instances between being revolutionary and a nice thought. The Ultralamina 32's most unique feature is its zipper set up. The bag has two mirrored zippers on your left and right that only zip to about your waist. Again this is good and bad. This zipper arrangement is great for those who like to hangout in their bags in the morning. Making coffee reading a book is simple from your bag. However this feature can also hinder your vent-ability if you start getting warm. For campers that like to hang a leg out when you get surprised by a warm spell, this may not be the bag for you.

      I purchased this bag in May of 2009 and have had the pleasure of using this bag for a total of about 12 nights since then. I will use the following space to cover some of the most extreme "tests" I have put it though. My first real experience with my new Ultralamina 32 was in Norwalk, Ohio. Far from a backpacking trip, but I was camping on a warm, muggy night in July. It was about 70 Degrees Fahrenheit at night with a humidity rating of, oh about sticky. This was not the weather I expected, and certainly was not the right conditions for a bag such as this. It was miserable trying to sleep in the buff in this bag. I would say any 32 degree bag is not going to be ideal for this situation but it would have been allot better to be able to unzip the bag and just lay it slightly over me.

      I have since gotten to use the bag in the early and late fall and have been very excited about it. I spent a late October weekend in the super cold, super windy and super wet Pictured Rocks are of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Nights dipped around 30 Degrees Fahrenheit, and with only Patagonia's Capilene 2 base layers, I slept in a tent and slept I did! The second night, our tent was a bit more exposed and had direct contact with 30 mph gusts of wind. The Ultralamina is supposed to be "very" wind resistant, but I must say the Ultralamina is not wind proof. Trying again to sleep only in base layers, my thighs could feel every gust of wind that made its way into the tent, so I added a hoody and sweatpants, expecting to wake up sweating and again slept like a rock all night long.

      The Ultralamina has two cords for adjustment around your face. Taking you from a completely sealed off mummy for the cold nights to comfortably open for the warmer nights. The shoulder level zippered stash pocket makes for a great watch pocket to have an alarm that you can always hear. I have not experienced any zipper problems; the bag lofts quick and is quite comfortable on your skin.

      All in all this really is a great bag, but just make sure it is the right bag for the conditions. The construction, materials, and performance of this bag is nothing to be laughed at, and the price is low. Be wary if you like to hang a foot out, as you will be limited with your vent-ability.

      Things I like:

      1. Great Craftsmanship.
      2. Sharp Look.
      3. Storage Pocket.
      4. Very even warmth. (No cold spots).
      5. Easy to cook in or perform other tasks.
      6. Quite light and packable.

      Things I don't like:

      1. Limited options for warmer temperatures. (does not have a full zipper)
      2. You do have to slide out of this bag.
      3. Did not bother me but the bag only comes in one color.

      Thank you.