REVISED OWNER REVIEW: Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp

  • flatovercrest6
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2009
      Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Erik Olsen
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'2" (1.89 Meters)
      Weight: 220 lbs (98.8 kg)
      Email address: flatovercrest6@...
      City, State, Country: Traverse City, Michigan, United States

      Date: Nov 26, 2009

      Backpacking Background:

      "To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else". Emily Dickinson.

      I have been trying my best to play the role of "backpacking ambassador" lately; I was drawn into backpacking and the outdoors by my father, and am trying to pass that love on to my friends and family. I bike, hike, photograph, kayak and backpack any chance I can, but in trying to get my friends involved I feel that I have been limited to anywhere within a days drive. I peruse the rougher areas of Michigan. I am very hard on gear, I like to play rough tend to pack heavy and am slowly learning from this. Expect to see me moving toward lighter gear. I usually am a 4 season camper and excited for snow shelter season.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Petzl
      Model: Tikka Plus
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Listed weight with battery: 2.93 Ounces (83 Grams)
      Weight as delivered with battery: 2.7 Ounces (77 Grams)
      Height: 1.54 Inches (39.11 Millimeters)
      Width: 2.23 Inches (56.64 Millimeters)
      Depth: 1.33 Inches (33.78 Millimeters)

      MSRP: $39.95

      Battery Type: (3) AAA (Duracell Alkaline included)
      Battery Burn Time (Battery Life): 140 hours in economy mode
      Illumination: 50 lumens at up to 35m

      The Tikka Plus is shelved in a protective plastic blister case with a cardboard card top. The Tikka is of durable plastic construction, has a very durable feel, adjustable one size fits everything single stretch band to fit around head, hat or helmet. The Tikka has a modern look without being unnecessarily decorative.

      • Imported.
      • Lithium batteries not recommended.
      • Degree of protection: IP X4 (water-resistant).
      • 3-year guarantee.
      • CE.
      • Ratcheting Swivel Head to position light where you need it.
      • Battery Life: High setting: 100 hours, Low setting: 150 hours.

      The Tikka has a simple 4 LED design with economy, standard, and bright setting for seeing and a strobe mode for being seen. If you are trying operate your light in low light or with gloves on you will appreciate the Tikka's single bright colored, slightly raised push button; a thoughtful departure from the usual, small slider switch that you need to use a finger nail to operate. A single push will start you in "bright mode" and each consecutive push within three second will take you to the next (dimmer) mode finishing in strobe. After three second a push of the button will turn the lamp off. Petzl certainly understands the beauty of simplicity when you are out on an adventure.

      I purchased the Tikka Plus at a local outdoor retailer in mid October. Since its purchase I have used this light for just about anything, and certainly countless times, more specifically I have used this while camping or night hiking about 9 times, late night photography probably close to 20 times. I would like to introduce you to some of my experiences. My first real test of the Tikka Plus was Halloween weekend 2009, when somehow I managed to talk my girlfriend into forgoing fun, warm Halloween parties with friends to head to Michigan's Upper Peninsula for a weekend of cold, rainy and occasionally snowy waterfall hunting and camping.
      Making it to camp in Munising on Saturday at about 1 am, we were greeted with 40mph gusts, a rain/snow mix and it was around 44 degrees F. Time to set up the tent in nasty weather and pitch black conditions, ah the fun. Low and behold my girlfriend was apathetic to get out of the car and hold a light for me, so with a slight smile I reached into my pack and pulled out the Tikka Plus. I tossed the Tikka onto my beanie'd head and powered it up with some light weight OR gloves on. Being my first headlamp I was amazed at how simple it was to see everything I was doing. I think previous to headlamp ownership, I would be forced to prop a flashlight up at the corner of camp to try to cast some meek sense of daylight, just to be able to accomplish any task requiring two hands. The girlfriend is already questioning what she has gotten herself into, and hasn't even left the car; I don't think she will be holding the torch too soon.

      After setting up camp, doing a quick reorganization of the car, the Tikka Plus had survived some of the best October weather the U.P. could muster. Cold and wet had not even put a dent in the Tikka's performance. I have been using the Tikka for many tasks ever since and have not even begun to see the light dimming as the same packaged batteries are holding strong, even in almost exclusive cold weather use. I will be keeping this amazing light around for a long time.

      As I have mentioned, late night photography is one task I found that the Tikka was more than helpful with. Throughout the remainder of the fall I was working on some different photography methods using low light or night time photography. On occasions I would be out in once location and due to the nature of the low light setting I would need to make many adjustments on my camera while composing my shots, the Tikka made it very simple to make all the adjustments I needed without tying up my hands to hold a torch. Every time I pack my photography gear, if I even think I will be out just catching a sunset, I am sure to pack the Tikka.

      Things I like:

      1. Durable but light construction.
      2. Easy to use (even with gloves!).
      3. Very bright (acts as a spot light as well as a flood light).
      4. Adjustability.
      5. Attractive looking design without being overdone.
      6. Battery Life

      Things I don't like: (and these are being very picky)

      1. Slight worry about the lens getting scratched (it is well protected at least).
      2. It would be nice to have a gripper rubberized strap to prevent slipping. (not a problem until you start jumping around).
      3. Slight giggles you get from your girlfriend when you get excited to use your headlamp.

      Thank you.

      Erik
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2010
          Hello Eric,

          Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

          Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

          A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

          Ray

          Date: Nov 26, 2009

          ***Backpacking Background:

          EDIT: we have a 100 word limit on the bios. Can you please trim yours down a bit?

          ***Height: 1.54 Inches (39.11 Millimeters)
          Width: 2.23 Inches (56.64 Millimeters)
          Depth: 1.33 Inches (33.78 Millimeters)

          Edit: we don't need the mm brken down that far, just use the closest whole number.

          ***MSRP: $39.95

          EDIT: if the MSRP is not on the manufacturer's website we just mark this as N/A

          ***Battery Burn Time (Battery Life): 140 hours in economy mode

          Edit: is this the burn time listed or your measurement?

          ***Lithium batteries not recommended.

          EDIT: where are you getting this info from? Here is what Petzl say, "The TIKKA PLUS can be used with lithium batteries to decrease weight or increase performance in cold weather." Do you have the old model? If so you may need to say that it is first generation and that the second is now what is being listed on their site. Of course that brings into question all the specs you have listed if the headlamp is not the same.

          *** If you are trying operate your light in low light or with gloves on you will appreciate the Tikka's single bright colored, slightly raised push button; a thoughtful departure from the usual, small slider switch that you need to use a finger nail to operate.

          EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s, just "me" and "I". Here is my canned explanation.

          Projection

          "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

          This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

          We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

          "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

          Please go through your entire review and change this, there is a lot of it.

          *** I would like to introduce you to some of my experiences.

          Comment: this is a case where the word can be used.

          ***Making it to camp in Munising on Saturday at about 1 am, we were greeted with40mph gusts, a rain/snow mix and it was around 44 degrees F.

          EDIT: you need Metric (or Imperial) conversions for all measurements, weights, distances, temperatures, etc. You also need a space after 40

          *** Low and behold my girlfriend was apathetic to get out of the car and hold a light for me,

          Edit: I believe "unwilling" works better than apathetic.

          *** tossed the Tikka onto my beanie'd head and powered it up with some light weight OR gloves on.

          Edit: I would leave the OR out unless you want to spell out the proper name. It does not really matter what brand the gloves are.

          *** I would be forced to prop a flashlight up at the corner of camp to try to cast some meek sense of daylight, just to be able to accomplish any task requiring two hands.

          Comment: Ha, as an old guy I remember many moments with a flashlight held in my teeth to do just this. (Pre-headlamp days)