Repost IR Jansport - Klamath 55 - Jeremy Laporte

  • laporte.jeremy
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2009
      Ernie,

      Here is my updated IR. I integrated all the correction you gave me and added a lot of relevent information to my report. I did run spell-check but I'm sure there is a lot of correction needed.

      Hope this time it will be good. thank you for your patience and great advices.

      Sincerely,
      Jeremy Laporte

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20JanSport%20Klamath%2055%20-%20Jeremy%20Laporte/

      JANSPORT KLAMATH
      TEST SERIES BY JEREMY R. LAPORTE
      IR
      November 25, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jeremy R. Laporte
      EMAIL: jeremyrlaporteATjeremyrlaporteDOTcom
      AGE: 28
      LOCATION: Idaho Falls, Idaho, U.S.A.
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 163 lb (73.90 kg)

      I grew up in France by the sea, camping and backpacking for as long as I can remember. Three years ago I moved to Idaho U.S.A. discovering new environments: wilderness, arid lands, forest, mountain, and snow. I also started to learn rock climbing, ice climbing and mountaineering. Because of many contacts I had with the military I thought they had the best gear available but I recently befriended some hikers and became aware of lightweight backpacking. I'm slowly migrating to that style and learning more about the various environments surrounding me.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: JanSport
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.jansport.com" LINK TEXT = "www.jansport.com">>
      MSRP: US$140
      Listed Weight: 2 lbs 3oz (0.9 kg)
      Measured Weight: 3.02 lbs (1.37 kg)
      Volume: 3302.6 cu in (54.12L)
      Torso length: 16" (40.64 cm)
      Color: navy and grey, also available in red
      Warranty: Lifetime, when the product is used for the purpose intended, under normal conditions. Warranty does not apply to damages caused by typical wear and tear over time, unreasonable use, accidents, or neglect.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      Upon inspection, I was impressed by the overall quality of the pack. Jansport really paid attention to the details and I couldn't find any default. There was no loose threads, uneven seams or fraying at any places on the pack. The zippers seem well made as well, slide without any difficulties and remain stray. Also each zippers have a little draw cord that help opening with gloves. I tested the buckles and straps playing with them multiple times. None of the buckles are breaking and the straps are locking great. The backpack construction seems very thorough and I'm very excited to take it out this winter because the pack seems solidly built.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Klamath">>

      Going from top to bottom on the Klamath 55 I found a lid pocket attached to the main pack by four buckles webbing straps. The front pocket which is covering a big part of the front of the pack. On this front pocket is sewed a five loops daisy chain to clip some additional gears to the pack. At the bottom of the daisy chain there is a tools loop to hold ice axe or similar. Inside the main compartment I found a yellow pocket for my water blader. Finally on each side of the pack at the bottom there is an elastic mesh pocket for a bottle or hiking poles. There are two compression straps on each side of the Klamath 55. These are intended to help compress the pack when it is not stuffed full. In addition to the sternum strap and hip belt there are straps to adjust how close to my body I want to the pack to be. One of them on each should straps and one on each sides of the hip belt.

      The Klamath 55 came with a three cards hang tag. The first card described some of the pack features. The second card briefly described the suspension system with Foamex framesheet and dual aluminum stays. Finally, the third card explained Jansport's lifetime warranty.

      FEATURES

      Here are the pack features from Jansport website, in addition I added features that are not mentioned on the site.

      Unbound-edge AirCore¬ô shoulder straps:
      I'm not very sure what this feature is but the inside of the shoulder straps are made of a different material which feels like it's gripping more on my clothes so the straps won't move too much.

      Large top loading main compartment :
      It includes a pocket for a water blader and the hose to come out on the back of the pack between the top of the shoulder straps. The compartment closes with two draw strings. The water blader pocket is big enough to fit my 3 l (3.17 US quarts) reservoir. The compartment itself is roomy and accept easily my sleeping bag, hammock, stove and kitchen, essential gears, spare of clothes and food. The compartment is only accessible from the top so gears need to be organized to avoid dumping everything to find something hidden at the bottom of the pack.

      Ventech¬ô back panel:
      The back of the backpack is covered with 2 foam pads shaped like egg cartons and covered with a fabric mesh. I'm excited to test it to see how comfortable it will be and it's wicking properties.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Foam back">>

      Dual zippered side gear pockets:
      Non existent

      Dual water bottle pockets:
      Those pockets are big enough to hold securely a Nalgene bottle each and are accessible while carrying the pack.

      Side compression straps:
      I already mentioned them earlier but they are long enough to still have some remaining length with a full pack so I can secure my hiking poles or similar.

      Foamex framesheet with dual aluminum stays:
      The aluminum stays are hidden inside the pack and don't seem accessible. The provide a good rigidity to the pack and the egg cartons foam keep it comfortable and assure an air flow between my back and the pack.

      Front storage pocket(s) :
      There is only one but it is pretty large one and accessible with a zipper on the front side of the pack. The pocket is big enough to fit a light jacket and some additional gears.

      Daisy chain quick clip points

      Four point compression straps:
      Those allow me to adjust how close I want the pack to be from my back. Also the shoulder webbing straps have at the end a loop that make adjusting the straps a bit easier.

      Zippered sleeping bag compartment with drop-down divider:
      Non existent

      Ice axe loop:
      The loop is located in the middle at the bottom of the pack. Though I don't think the loop is well thought out because to maintain the handle of an ice axe I will need to add something on the daisy chain.

      Haul loop:
      Nothing special about it but always handy.

      Lid compartment:
      The top pocket is quite big. It is only accessible from the outside with a zipper opening. The pocket can be fully removed to save weight. and include a little plastic key to hold keys or similar. I like the way the compartment is secure to the pack and allow to carry my sleeping pad.

      I was surprised that some of the features described on the Jansport website are non existent on the backpack I received.

      TRYING IT OUT

      The pack has many adjustment points that allow me to cinch the pack for a perfect fit.

      I loaded the pack with all the equipment I would take on a weekend and I had plenty of room for my gears.
      I put the pack on and adjusted the belt and shoulder straps. Adjusting them was very easy. The hip belt was comfortable and I could feel the weigh on my hips instead of shoulders. Next, I adjusted the sternum strap . Once again, this was very easy to do. When properly adjusted, the Klamath does feel like a comfortable fit.

      Though, I can't fully build an opinion on the fit and feel without loading it and taking it out on a hike so I will follow up on my impressions.

      SUMMARY

      My first impression of the Klamath 55 is a well made pack which look promising for multiday backpacking or winter hiking. The construction is solid and the fit great. I'm excited to test it. I'm just a bit disappointed by the weight being 50% more than the one listed. Some features that I was expecting are non existent and the ice axe loop is not well thought out.

      I would like to thank Jansport and Backpackgeartest for the opportunity to test the Klamath 55 backpack.

      This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to this report in approximately two months from the date of this report. Please check back then for further information.

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.