Re: Bug juice

  • dunning_josh
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
      Growing up in Western Mass, and now living in Northern CT, Ican
      attest to the black flies in the spring! We used to call them May
      Flies, I think because they come on strongest in May. (duh!)
      Mosquitoes get ugly towards July & August, they were real bad last
      September on a three day hike up the M&M.

      I like the idea of te tick repellant too, they get bad here too.

      Josh

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jerry Goller" <geartester@m...> wrote:
      > We have a couple of insect repellent tests we couldn't get to from
      last
      > year. I particularly want to give the Sawyer Gold a good work out
      with
      > black and deer flys. We've also got the Sawyer and 3M extended
      > protection (12 - 24 hour) mosquito repellent. I'm looking for
      > suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the black flys, New
      > England but how early could we start and still have a good test? How
      > about deer flys? I'm thinking somewhere along the Gulf Coast or
      maybe
      > the Sierras for the mosquitoes. Any suggestions?
      > Jerry

      comprehensive
      > interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.
    • Leonard Christiansen
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
        Gulf Coast would be a great testing ground for mosquito repellents. I
        think the variety that is most plentiful around Mobile is the salt
        marsh mosquito. Also a good place to test effectiveness against
        no-seeums. For deer flies I want quarter inch boiler plate between
        them and me!

        Len Christiansen lrchristiansen@...
        SA Troop 292, Mobile, AL Spanish Trail District Commissioner
        Gihim - One Who Encourages

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
          Yeah, send them all to me. I'll paddle out to Anclote
          Key for a long weekend, where you can se the noseeum's
          ;)
          --- Jerry Goller <geartester@...> wrote:
          > We have a couple of insect repellent tests we
          > couldn't get to from last
          > year. I particularly want to give the Sawyer Gold a
          > good work out with
          > black and deer flys. We've also got the Sawyer and
          > 3M extended
          > protection (12 - 24 hour) mosquito repellent. I'm
          > looking for
          > suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the
          > black flys, New
          > England but how early could we start and still have
          > a good test? How
          > about deer flys? I'm thinking somewhere along the
          > Gulf Coast or maybe
          > the Sierras for the mosquitoes. Any suggestions?
          > Jerry

          > most comprehensive
          > interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

          http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • Ron Martino
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
            > We have a couple of insect repellent tests we couldn’t get to from
            > last year. I particularly want to give the Sawyer Gold a good work out
            > with black and deer flys. We’ve also got the Sawyer and 3M extended
            > protection (12 – 24 hour) mosquito repellent. I’m looking for
            > suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the black flys, New
            > England but how early could we start and still have a good test? How
            > about deer flys? I’m thinking somewhere along the Gulf Coast or maybe
            > the Sierras for the mosquitoes. Any suggestions?
            >
            > Jerry

            In western Montana it's mostly ticks, mosquitoes and no-see-ums, with
            the season for ticks starting as early as April in some places; but it
            would be better to wait until high summer for heavier concentrations of
            all of them.

            Ron
            --

            yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
          • Clifford R. Haynes
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
              Bug juice
              Here in Maine it sepends on the yaer and where you are. But it's a good bet from the middle of May to the first week of July the Black Flys whould be more than willing to give any Bug Juice a good workout.
              We have a couple of insect repellent tests we couldnt get to from last year. I particularly want to give the Sawyer Gold a good work out with black and deer flys. Weve also got the Sawyer and 3M extended protection (12 24 hour) mosquito repellent. Im looking for suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the black flys, New England but how early could we start and still have a good test? How about deer flys? Im thinking somewhere along the Gulf Coast or maybe the Sierras for the mosquitoes.  Any suggestions?

              Jerry

            • Michael Wheiler
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
                Bug juice
                Jerry:

                My experience with bugs in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming probably isn't far off from what you get in Utah.  I agree with the others who have posted responses from the Northwest or Rocky Mountain region--mid summer would be best for our testing.  In the areas I frequent, ticks and mosquitos are a definite problem.  Additionally, we have deer flies and what I refer to as horse flies--the Arnold Schwarzenegger of deer flies.  With these guys I like Leonards idea of 1/4 inch plate steel--it would be more difficult to pick me up and carry me off!

                Mike

              • artcloutmn@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2002
                  In a message dated 2/1/02 2:47:56 PM, geartester@... writes:

                  << I'm looking for
                  suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the black flys, New
                  England but how early could we start and still have a good test? How
                  about deer flys? >>

                  Black fly season in NH is at peak in May but can continue in June and July in
                  the colder areas. Deer flies occcur in hotter days of July and August.
                  Mosquitoes start in June just after Memorial Day.

                  Art
                • artcloutmn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2002
                    In a message dated 2/1/02 3:19:10 PM, geartester@... writes:

                    << I thought that black fly season on the north
                    end of the AT was late March, early April...no? >>

                    No, the snow has not even melted in NH. Art