OR - ALPS MOUNTAINEERING TAURUS AL 2 TENT

  • walter@leicherinc.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2009
      Hi all,

      I am a rookie at this and hope that my first attempt to following
      instuctions is not too far off the mark. I could not figure the tinyURL
      process out ... yet.

      Edit away.

      ALPS MOUNTAINEERING TAURUS AL 2 TENT
      BY WALTER LEICHER
      OR
      November 21, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Walter Leicher
      EMAIL: walter AT leicherinc DOT com
      AGE: 44
      LOCATION: Alpharetta, GA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.86 m)
      WEIGHT: 185 lb (84.00 kg)
      TORSO 34 In - 84 CM

      I started backpacking many years ago and enjoy outdoor adventure sports like
      adventure racing, caving, rock climbing and canoeing as well. Since becoming
      involved in Boy Scouts, I hike much more frequently. Most trips with Boy
      Scouts are
      weekenders but I have done several longer day hikes as well. I try to
      spend money
      on equipment as wisely as I can and always seek the point where shaving an
      extra
      ounce exceeds the benefit. Most hiking is done in the south east of the
      US. Coffee
      in the morning is one of the main reasons for hiking in the first place

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "Pitched Tent">>

      Manufacturer: ALPS Mountaineering
      "http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/">>
      MSRP: Us 199.99
      Base Size: 5' x 7'6 (152 cm x 229 cm)
      Center Height: 3'10 (117 cm)
      Vestibule Depth: 32" (81 cm)
      Tent Area: 37 sq. ft. (3.44 sq m)
      Vestibule Area: 20 sq. ft. (1.86 sq m)
      Tent and Fly Weight: 5 lb. 12 oz. (2.61 kg)
      Total Listed Weight: 6 lb. 10 oz. (3.01)
      Total Measured Weight: 6 lb. 9 oz. (2.98)
      Packed Size: 6" x 22" (15.24 cm x 56 cm)
      Pole Diameter: 0.85" (8.5 mm)
      Color: Blue/Coal
      Style: Two-pole rectangular dome
      Use Rating: 3 Season
      Sleeps: Two

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 2 AL tent (hereafter referred to as the
      "tent") is a
      larger medium weight tent , designed for use during shorter hikes, canoe
      trips or
      car pretty much any type of travel plans. It is advertised on the ALPS web
      site as a
      camping tent. It is exceptionally roomy for a 2 person tent with large roomy
      vestibules. It is relatively well ventilated but slightly bulky and heavy.

      The tent has two doors (one on either side) and consists of an aluminum
      pole system
      crossing in the middle of the tent, a durable ground sheet, the tent
      itself and a
      rain fly. There are sufficient tent pens made of aluminum. Zippers are
      easy to
      operate and do not get stuck in the tent material easily.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Inner wall">>

      Features at a glance
      Free Standing 2 Pole System with Aluminum Poles
      Easy Assembly with Pole Clips that quickly snap over the tent poles
      75D 185T Polyester Fly resists UV damage and stays taut
      Factory Sealed Fly & Floor Seams give best weather protection
      75D 185T Taffeta Floor with 2000mm Coating
      Extra Large #8 Zippers on Doors and Vestibules
      Easy Entry & Great Ventilation with 2 Doors (both with zippered mesh
      windows)
      2 Vestibules for gear storage and extra weather protection
      Weatherproof Fly Buckles on for maximum adjustability and protection
      Mesh Roof Vents increase ventilation and improve star gazing

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Groundsheet">>

      Taurus 2 materials:
      Fly: 75D, 185T, Poly Taffeta, 1500mm Multi-pass Urethane coating
      Floor: 75D, 185T, Poly Taffeta, 2000mm Multi-pass Urethane coating
      Walls: 75D, 185T, Poly Taffeta
      Mesh: Nylon No See-um Mesh, 40D
      Frame: 8.5mm Aluminum

      <<IMAGE 3>>

      CONSTRUCTION

      I have been extremely impressed with the quality of the construction. In
      the past I have used tents from other manufactures and have gottent quite
      picky in what I want out of a tent. This tent easily provides a challenge
      to more expensive rivals. Quality, simplicity and durability makes this a
      must on the short list when considering tents. The corners and seams have
      a high stitch count with heavy thread. The tent has a traditional
      cross-over system with two sets of allumium poles crossing in the middle.
      This provides a free-standing structure - a feature I prefer in a tent.

      The tents has very large vestibules to store your backpack overnight - a
      must when you want to cram 3 scouts into a two-person tent.

      FIELD USE

      We purchase these tents and the lighter weight sibling (Zephyr) for our
      troop of boy scouts. I deem the tents as virtually indestructible. We
      typically pair two or three boys together per tent and I must say that
      even on extended trips such as 12 days hiking on the Phillmont scout
      ranch, this tent had enough space and afforded enough protection for 3
      boys.

      We conducted trips in temperatures in the low twenties and we conducted
      trips in the high nineties, sometimes with heavy rains, and this tent
      truly never let us down. There might be occasions where the bath-tub
      style floor is tested to see how much water it can hold and whether we can
      swim in it because of impropper tent-pitching but the tents is as
      waterproof as I can expect from a tent of this price range.

      We normally divide the tent parts amongst the boys to share the load which
      means that the slightly heavy load is not met with too many complaints.

      Fort personal use, I used the tent on at least 7 hikes covering mildly
      cold (low twenties) to very warm (high nineties). I found the tent to
      provide sufficient cover for all weather conditions but it can be a little
      warm and stuffy in warmer conditions. It is definitely not as "airy" as
      it's lighter sibling - the Zephyr.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Compressed size
      in compression bag">>

      PITCHING

      The tent is easy to pitch and we often have bling-folden tent pitching
      competitions with the scouts to make them used to pitching tents in the
      dark. This tent is well suited for that purpose. It is equally easy to
      take down and breaking camp is normally a matter of minutes.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "Pitched Tent
      with vestibule open">>

      SUMMARY

      This is a two-person tent which is well worth considering - especially
      when you are looking for a "biggest bang for buck" tent. It is extremely
      robust and durable. We had minor instances where, due to some abuse, we
      needed repairs done. ALPS Mountaineering was fantastic! Truly a company
      to partner with with great, durable product at reasonable prices.

      I definitely recommend this tent.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Durability
      Easy to pitch
      Rain resistance
      Spacious
      Large Vestibules

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Weight

      SIGNATURE

      Walter Leicher

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2009
          Hello Walter,

          Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org and thank you for your Owner Review. I am going to be your editor should you choose to go forward with it.

          We really encourage new writers to start with something easier for their first Owner Review (OR) to cut down on the frustration level. Tents are one of the hardest items to review as there is a lot to tell about them. It is a lot easier to learn the ropes with something like a cook pot or clothing item. As it stands your review is lacking in a couple areas. For one your description is just pasted from the Alps website. We don't want that. It should be described in your own words.

          Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

          Here is one of my tent reviews for an idea of what is looked for:
          http://tinyurl.com/yfzvj77

          A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

          You can put this aside to revisit down the road a bit when you are ready, or you can continue with it if you like. If you do want to proceed go over it and apply what you pick up from the lessons and other examples. Put a Product Description section in your own words. Put a Field Use section with places used, elevations, and weather conditions that you can remember. Then put the actual review of what you thought about the tent and how it worked or didn't for you in the field.

          If you choose to get a mentor (a good idea as they will help a lot) let me know here so I am not waiting for a repost too soon. Otherwise go through it and Repost here.

          Talk to you soon,