Owner Review - REI Lite-Core 1.5 sleeping pad - Chad Poindexter

  • Stick
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2009
      Another OR! The text will follow, and here is the HTML link:

      REI Lite-Core 1.5 sleeping pad <http://tinyurl.com/yc6q7cc>

      Thanks again for your time and edits!

      Chad Poindexter

      REI LITE-CORE 1.5 SLEEPING PAD
      BY CHAD POINDEXTER
      OR
      November 13, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Chad Poindexter
      EMAIL: cg-77 (at) hotmail (dot) com
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I started backpacking this year and have hiked a section of the
      Appalachian Trail in north Georgia and at a few state parks in
      Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. As a new backpacker I have obtained
      mostly heavy gear, but dream of going light. I sleep in a tent and like
      a warm drink in the morning, as well as a warm meal at night. Since I'm
      still new my distance is around 10 mi (16 km) or less per day, depending
      on terrain. I usually hike with my fiancé or my son but wouldn't mind
      a solo hike.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "REI Lite-Core
      1.5">>

      Manufacturer: REI
      Year of Manufacture: N / A
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.rei.com/"
      LINK TEXT = "www.rei.com">>
      MSRP: (US) $ 84.50
      Size: Regular
      Listed Weight: 1 lb 11 oz (765 g)
      Measured Weight: 1 lb 9 oz (709 g)
      Net Weight Filling Material: 10 oz (283 g)
      Insulation: Foam
      R-Value: 3.2
      Dimensions Listed: 72 in x 20 in x 1.5 in (183 in x 51 cm x 4 cm)
      Measured Dimensions: 73.5 in x 20.5 in x 1.5 in (187 cm x 52 cm x 4 cm)
      Packed Size Listed: 5.5 in x 10.75 in (14 cm x 27 cm)
      Design Type: Inflatable
      Sleeping Pad Shape: Mummy
      Color: Monarch Orange
      Additional Sizes Offered:
      Small: 48 in x 20 in x 1.5 in (122 cm x 51 cm x 4 cm) 18 oz (510 g)
      Women's: 66 in x 20 in x 1.5 in (168 cm x 51 in x 4 cm) 25 oz (709
      g)

      PRODUCT DETAILS

      The REI Lite-Core 1.5 Self-Inflating Pad (hereafter referred to as the
      "sleeping pad") is a 1.5 in (4 cm) mummy-shaped, self-inflating
      sleeping pad, with a listed R-value of 3.2. The upper material consist
      of a rugged, taslan nylon diamond-ripstop surface, and features a
      pattern of grippy silicone rings that help keep sleeping bags from
      sliding off the pad. The insulation is comprised of a cross-cored,
      non-flame retardant polyurethane foam which allows the pad "maximum
      compressibility and weight reduction." The 75-denier polyester fabric,
      which lines the bottom, gives the pad an added ability to resists wear
      and tear.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Silicone
      Ovals">>
      The sleeping pad is monarch orange on top and gray on the bottom. There
      is an "REI" logo in the top left corner with the words "Lite-Core, 1.5"
      printed below the logo. On the top right corner is a quick closing,
      high-volume airflow valve (see pic below). Approximately 11 in (28 cm)
      from the top of the pad, a group of 12 oval silicone rings run in a
      downward horizontal arch across the pad. Approximately 30 in (76 cm)
      from the top of the pad another group of 12 silicone rings run in a
      upward horizontal arch (see picture above). These silicone rings help
      grip the sleeping bag to minimize the occurrence of the sleeping bag
      slipping off the pad.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Air Valve">>
      The pad also came with a lightweight stuff sack and a repair kit. The
      stuff sack features a built in pocket on the inside of the sack which
      holds the repair kit for easy and convenient storage. Included in the
      repair kit is: (1) two 1.5 in (4 cm) round swatches of taslan nylon
      diamond-ripstop, (2) one 3.5 in x 5 in (9 cm x 13 cm) piece of 75-denier
      polyester, (3) one 0.176 oz (5 g) tube of glue, (4) instructions for
      repair, and (5) a 3 in x 4 in (8 cm x 10 cm) zip closed plastic bag.
      There is also a black 24 in (61 cm) strap that wraps around the pad
      once it is rolled up and latches to itself to keep the pad rolled up.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "What the pad
      came with....">>
      The stuff sack is made of a light weight nylon taffeta. There is a label
      attached to the front of the stuff sack advertising the pad (see
      picture below). The bottom of the stuff sack features a handle for ease
      of carrying, or for just making it easier to remove the pad from the
      stuff sack. There are quite a few tags attached to the inside of the
      stuff sack; one that states "Made in Taiwan," one consumer tag, and one
      tag detailing quick instructions for: (1) Inflating, (2) Deflating, (3)
      Storing, (4) Repairing, (5) Cleaning, and (6) Useful Tips. Of course,
      again, there is the pocket for the repair kit built into the top of the
      stuff sack as well. The top of the sack is closed using a black flat
      nylon pull cord and locked with a cord lock.

      FIELD USE

      NORTH GEORGIA, APPALACHIAN TRAIL (AT). I took this pad with me on a 5
      night trip to the mountains of north Georgia. Temperatures were as high
      as 85 F (29 C) during the days and reached as low as 61 F (16 C) during
      the nights. I used The North Face Aleutian sleeping bag on top of the
      sleeping pad and a pillow to make up my sleep system. The ground
      conditions in which we set up camp consisted of packed, hard dirt to
      just plain old hard, rocky ground. Elevations varied nightly, from 1,770
      ft (539 m) on the first night out to 4,450 ft (1,356 m) on the last
      night out.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "Our set up at
      Horse Gap on the AT">>
      SOUTHWESTERN TENNESSEE, BIG HILL POND STATE PARK. I have made frequent
      overnight trips to this state park many times since this past spring and
      have used the REI Lite Core sleeping pad on all occasions. The general
      elevation is listed at 500 ft (152 m). The lowest temperatures that I
      have experienced while here has been right at 50 F (10 C). Again, I used
      the same sleep system here, The North Face Aleutian sleeping bag, a
      pillow and of course this sleeping pad. The ground here is typically a
      softer soil and even padded with lots of fallen leaves.

      CHICKASAW STATE PARK. I have also taken this sleeping pad on a 2 night
      car camping trip with the family to this state park located in
      Southwestern Tennessee. Elevation is listed at 480 ft (146 m). The
      temperatures were around 62 F (17 C) on both nights out and the skies
      were clear and beautiful! The campgrounds were made up of hard packed
      dirt with some small gravel. I used the same North Face Aleutian
      sleeping bag and a pillow along with this sleeping pad to make up my
      sleep system.

      NORTHEAST MISSISSIPPI, VARIOUS CAMPGROUNDS. I have taken this pad out
      for about 12 nights at various campgrounds here closer to my hometown in
      Northeast Mississippi. Elevations ranged from around 440 ft (134 m) here
      in Corinth Mississippi to 512 ft (156 m) at Tishomingo State Park. All
      nights out were clear skies and temperatures averaged around 65 F (18
      C). Most nights consisted of using my sleeping bag but there were few
      nights that I just carried a fleece blanket to throw over me.

      SUMMARY

      From the minute I laid down on this pad, I knew that I would enjoy it,
      and I have! In my experiences, this pad has performed exceptionally! I
      have used it on soft ground, sometimes with leaves, to hard ground, to
      rocky ground, and even on concrete, and it has been the same on every
      occasion, perfect. It provides 100 % comfort for me. I can easily
      compare it to my bed. I sleep on my side mostly and while laying on my
      side I cannot feel the ground beneath me. I was worried that my hips and
      shoulders would compress the pad and hit the ground beneath it, but as
      of yet, I have not.

      I have noticed that the pad will inflate very quickly, even after being
      compressed all day long. I have not timed the process but it takes no
      more than 2 or 3 minutes for the pad to become fully inflated. Also, I
      have heard that I am not supposed to blow air into the pad because the
      moisture in my breath will harm the foam inside the pad, but I usually
      put a few extra puffs in to add firmness to the pad. So far I have had
      no problems that I can tell from doing this.

      Just a note, while laying on my back my arms will fall off the edges of
      the pad. This can become annoying, but again, I'm mostly a side sleeper.
      I wouldn't mind having a pad that is a little wider, but then again, I
      wouldn't want the extra weight! I have spoke with a sales rep from REI
      and they said that this pad is not offered in anything wider than a 20
      in (51 cm). So, I don't think this is a downfall particularly with the
      pad, just an option that is not available.

      While I wouldn't necessarily consider the pad to be heavy, or bulky, it
      has seemed that way at times (mostly when not even on a trip). However,
      given the comfort that the pad provides at the end of a long days hike,
      so far it has been worth the weight and the space that it takes up in my
      backpack. I have been very happy to be able to pull this pad out and I
      cannot think of one time that I have regretted having it with me! Here
      is a picture of the pad rolled up in its stuff sack next to a gallon
      jug.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "Actual Size">>
      I am not terribly rough with my gear, but I have used this sleeping pad
      on lots of different surfaces to sleep on. Some have been quite a bit
      rougher than others (rough / sharp rocks and sticks) so I have always
      been sure to have a ground sheet or a tent floor (or both) directly
      beneath the pad, and through it all the pad has held up very well. I
      have not had any leaks from it yet. Also, when I first received the pad
      I was concerned with the way the air-valve closed. I had to turn the
      valve pretty hard (or so I thought) and I felt like I might tear the
      valve out of the pad while doing so. However, over time I have come to
      realize that the valve is securely attached to the pad so now I am not
      worried when closing the valve. Also, I have found that if I need to
      sleep directly on the pad the silicone circles will definitely grip to
      me or my clothing, which can make for an irritating night.

      THE GOOD

      1. The comfort of the pad, as good as my bed!
      2. It came with its own stuff sack.
      3. It came with its own repair kit. (I don't think it is being sold
      with a repair kit now though).
      4. Its durable.

      THE BAD

      1. The mummy shape, its narrow.
      2. The weight (I wish that it was lighter, but ok with it for now).
      3. The stuff size (I wish that it would stuff smaller, but ok with it
      for now).
      4. The valve can be hard to close.
      5. The silicone rings will stick to me if sleeping directly on the pad.

      SIGNATURE

      Chad Poindexter "Stick"

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • sophie_pearson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
          Hi Chad,
          Great review, and keep those ORs coming :) I have a few edits for you, nothing major, then you are free to upload here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%20Mattresses/REI%20Lite-Core%201.5%20Self-Inflating%20Pad/
          or
          http://tiny.cc/DJqg7

          Edits follow the usual format -
          EDIT: must change
          Edit: suggested change
          Comment: something to think about.

          Cheers,
          Sophie

          I usually hike with my fiancé or my son
          ****EDIT: It's fiancée with an extra e for a female.

          PRODUCT INFORMATION
          ****Edit: You've got an extra row below this title compared to the other headings.

          1.5 in (4 cm) mummy-shaped, self-inflating sleeping pad, with a listed R-value of 3.2.
          ****Edit: maybe mention that the 1.5 in is the depth? Also, there is quite a bit of repetition between here and the information section. Maybe cut out the lines in the information section, as it is quite long?
          ****Comment: I, and probably a few readers, don't know what an R-value is. It would be really nice to explain it.

          features a pattern of grippy silicone rings that help keep sleeping bags from sliding off the pad.
          ****EDIT: 'sleeping bag' unless you can fit multiple ones on a pad?!!
          ****Edit: You repeat yourself in the next paragraph. I think you could just cut out the last part of this sentence where you say what the rings are for.

          Included in the repair kit is: (1) two 1.5 in (4 cm)
          ****Comment: I am really impressed with the number of conversions you have in this report - you didn't miss a single one (that I could find)!!!

          There is a label attached to the front of the stuff sack advertising the pad (see picture below)
          ****EDIT: I think you mean picture above?

          The stuff sack is made of a light weight nylon taffeta
          ****EDIT: lightweight

          Our set up at Horse Gap on the AT
          ****EDIT: setup

          but there were few nights that I just
          ****EDIT: 'a' few nights

          I have used it on soft ground, sometimes with leaves, to hard ground,
          ****Edit: Would read better with a from as you have a to in there. Maybe 'I have used it on everything from soft ground...'

          my hips and shoulders would compress the pad and hit the ground beneath it, but as of yet, I have not
          ****EDIT: 'they have not' or 'I have not noticed it'

          while laying on my back my arms will fall off the edges of the pad.
          ****Comment: Just a thought, and I know that you haven't experienced particularly low temperatures, but did you notice any insulating properties to the pad? Like did your arms feel colder when in contact with the ground compared to on the pad?

          I have spoke with a sales rep from REI and they said
          ****EDIT: remove the 'have'

          anything wider than a 20 in (51 cm)
          ****EDIT: remove the 'a'

          at the end of a long days hike
          ****EDIT: day's

          Also, I have found that if I need to sleep directly
          ****Edit: This read a bit funny to me, as it is a negative and the previous sentence is a positive but you linked them with an also. Maybe reword to start with the fact that it is irritating?

          the silicone circles will definitely grip to me
          ****EDIT: remove the 'to' or replace 'grip' with 'stick'

          Its durable
          ****EDIT: It's

          The mummy shape, its narrow.
          ****EDIT: It's
          ****Comment: Is it the mummy shape that you don't like? Or the fact that it is narrow? Seems to me these are two separate points and you didn't mention in your review whether you liked the mummy shape, just that it was narrow at the torso.
        • Stick
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
            Sophie,

            Thanks for the edits! I made the corrections and added the extras that you suggested and have uploaded the final OR in the link that you have provided me.

            I'm going to be working on my next OR this weekend, now I just have to figure out what's next!

            Thanks for your time,
            Chad