OR Therm-A-Rest Compressible Pillow by Mike Mosack

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2009
      Please accept another owner review as I look to improve my report writing skills...
      My HTML link is here and the text version follows.

      http://tinyurl.com/y9y4ygc

      THERM-A-REST COMPRESSIBLE PILLOW
      BY MICHAEL MOSACK
      OR
      November 17, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Michael Mosack
      EMAIL: mosack at earthlink dot net
      AGE: 45
      LOCATION: San Diego, California USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 236 lb (107.00 kg)

      I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week long trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan and Canada to tropical backpacking in the Philippines and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I tent, car and RV camp. I prefer to go as light as possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry are paramount to me over price and weight.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Therm-A-Rest pillow">>
      Manufacturer: Cascade Designs
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://cascadedesigns.com" LINK TEXT = "Cascade Designs">>
      MSRP: US $17.95
      Listed Weight: 7 oz (198 g)
      Measured Weight: 7 oz (198 g)
      Listed Dimensions: 12 in by 16 in (30 cm by 41 cm)
      Measured Dimensions: 12 in by 16 in (30 cm by 41 cm)
      Fabric: Brushed polyester
      Fill Material: Urethane Foam
      Other details: The pillow color I purchased is called "Desert", (also listed as "Orange" on the manufacturer's website). The other color options available include, Denim, Green, Mossy Oak Breakup, Advantage Max 4HD.

      There are three sizes (small, medium and large) of this pillow available, of which I purchased the small pillow. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Reverse side shown">>

      FIELD USE

      This has been the only pillow I've used during 450 nights in the field spread out over the past 18 months. I work in Afghanistan, traveling with military combat units and find myself using this constantly. Field conditions I've experienced while using this pillow include, hot dry summer night time temperatures over 120 F (+49 C), to winter temperatures below 20 F (-7 C). I have used this from 330 feet (101 m) to over 7,000 feet (2100 m) above sea level. I have also used this pillow at altitude while traveling by jet airplane, during international flights of more than 3 hours in duration. I found that this pillow was very comfortable throughout.

      Packing and storing this pillow is easy as it compresses nicely. I just rolled the pillow up tightly and tucked it into the convenient pocket that is sewn in as part of the product, then pulled the drawstring to cinch it up and hold it tight. Generally, I do not keep my pillow compressed unless I am actually packing it, but the longest I have left my pillow stored compressed was for a month. When I then opened it up for use, I found that initially, the pillow was very flat, but within 5 minutes and a quick shake, it had regained its loftiness and was quite comfortable and ready to use. The loft of this pillow feels as if it is quite substantial and thick. There is no removable pillow case and the outer material is soft, comfortable and non-slippery. This pillow does not slide around or out from under my head or off of my sleeping bag during the night. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Size comparison to soda can">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Compressed and stored size">>

      I have machine washed my pillow 18-20 times. I machine wash and tumble dry on low heat for maximum loft. The instructions on the pillow, state that you can wash and tumble dry to regain any loss of loft that the pillow may have after extended use. I have also hand washed my pillow in warm water and biodegradable soap and a lot of rinsing to get the soap out. To dry, I have hung my pillow in full sun and found that in desert temperatures over 100 F (56 C), my pillow was dry in approximately one hour.

      I have used this pillow in the following locations...
      Afghanistan, to include Mazar-e Sharif, Herat, Kandahar, Kabul, Helmand Province and many remote areas in between; California, to include San Diego, Ocotillo Wells Vehicle Recreation Area, Anza-Borrego State Park and Laguna Mountains; Grand Canyon area of Havasupai Campgrounds and trail; Traveling from Michigan to California, Bangkok, Thailand and Maldives Islands of Male and Helengeli. I have also used this while traveling by airplane to the international locations.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, I like this pillow very much. I have found that its size is very convenient for traveling, when used as a lumbar pad while driving or sitting for long durations, on backpacking trips as a standard pillow I've found this to provide me a soft yet supportive feel under my head as I sleep. The brushed polyester material maintains a soft feel and ensures that the pillow does not slide out from under my head, even when used with my sleeping bag. The pillow does not seem to be affected by temperatures as it does not feel cold to the skin and breaths well. It packs up small and does not take up very much space in or attached to my pack. It is easy to clean and is well made. Despite 18 months of hard use, many wash and dry cycles in machines, my pillow shows no real wear and no evidence of even a broken stitch.

      THINGS I LIKE

      The ease of this pillow to use and clean
      The compressibility and loftiness
      The soft feel and that it is not slippery under my head or when used with my sleeping bag

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      The cord lock seems unecessary to me and it is hard, having occasionally been pressed against my head during the night.

      SIGNATURE

      Mike Mosack
      www.michaelmosack.com

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2009
          Hello Michael,

          Thank you for your Owner Review, nice job. Your initial edits are below. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          Once the edits are made please Repost here and include an updated HTML version too.

          Thanks,

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer's Website: Cascade Designs

          EDIT: this needs to be the actual top level URL spelled out and active

          ***MSRP: US $17.95

          EDIT: as the company does not give MSRPs you need to list this as N/A

          Michael we really like to see a Product Description in each review. We talked about this before I believe in your towel review. It will help the review later, like when you talk about using the draw cord. What draw cord?

          "The pillow is made of blah blah and has a cover made of yakity yak. The material feels quite whatever. A drawstring goes around the pillow about a quarter down running through a plastic cord lock. By pulling the drawstringÂ…"

          See what I am getting at? And I know that you do describe parts as you write in the actual review, but one of the things that make our reviews and reports different from other sites and magazines is the depth that ours have. The product description is a big part of that.

          *** I just rolled the pillow up tightly and tucked it into the convenient pocket that is sewn in as part of the product, then pulled the drawstring to cinch it up and hold it tight.

          EDIT: "and" then pulled the drawstringÂ…

          ***The cord lock seems unecessary to me and it is hard,

          EDIT: unnecessary