Re: [BackpackGearTest] Bug juice

  • rherold@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
      mosquitos, check South, Louisianna, East Texas.. (yeah, Gulf Coast).

      Rachel

      BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Bug juice

      We have a couple of insect repellent tests we couldn�t get to from last year. I particularly want to give the Sawyer Gold a good work out with black and deer flys. We�ve also got the Sawyer and 3M extended protection (12 � 24 hour) mosquito repellent. I�m looking for suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the black flys, New England but how early could we start and still have a good test? How about deer flys? I�m thinking somewhere along the Gulf Coast or maybe the Sierras for the mosquitoes.� Any suggestions?

      Jerry

    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
        Bug juice

        We have a couple of insect repellent tests we couldnt get to from last year. I particularly want to give the Sawyer Gold a good work out with black and deer flys. Weve also got the Sawyer and 3M extended protection (12 24 hour) mosquito repellent. Im looking for suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the black flys, New England but how early could we start and still have a good test? How about deer flys? Im thinking somewhere along the Gulf Coast or maybe the Sierras for the mosquitoes.  Any suggestions?

        Jerry

      • David Anderson
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
          For the black flies NE and the finger lakes region of NY. For mosquitos
          almost every area of the country tries to lay clam to the worst. Even the
          east side of the cascades up here in WA can be pretty bad (but I've been to
          plenty of places worse). With so many varieties of mosquito I would think
          that test should be as broad as possible. The south would be your best bet
          for early tests. Up here we don't have many problems till late june.

          Dave

          Jerry Goller writes:
          > suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the black flys, New
          > England but how early could we start and still have a good test? How
          > about deer flys? I'm thinking somewhere along the Gulf Coast or maybe
          > the Sierras for the mosquitoes. Any suggestions?
          > Jerry
        • Helen Hillberg
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
            Wisconsin or Michigan for deer flies, Oregon for mosquitoes, East Coast for black flies.  Not much before July though.  Does the stuff work for ticks?
            Helen

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002

              Yup…ticks are repelled too. I thought that black fly season on the north end of the AT was late March, early April…..no?

              Jerry

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
                I haven't done the AT  but New York State and Connecticut are later than March if memory serves me.
                Helen

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
                  Growing up in Western Mass, and now living in Northern CT, Ican
                  attest to the black flies in the spring! We used to call them May
                  Flies, I think because they come on strongest in May. (duh!)
                  Mosquitoes get ugly towards July & August, they were real bad last
                  September on a three day hike up the M&M.

                  I like the idea of te tick repellant too, they get bad here too.

                  Josh

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jerry Goller" <geartester@m...> wrote:
                  > We have a couple of insect repellent tests we couldn't get to from
                  last
                  > year. I particularly want to give the Sawyer Gold a good work out
                  with
                  > black and deer flys. We've also got the Sawyer and 3M extended
                  > protection (12 - 24 hour) mosquito repellent. I'm looking for
                  > suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the black flys, New
                  > England but how early could we start and still have a good test? How
                  > about deer flys? I'm thinking somewhere along the Gulf Coast or
                  maybe
                  > the Sierras for the mosquitoes. Any suggestions?
                  > Jerry

                  comprehensive
                  > interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.
                • Leonard Christiansen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
                    Gulf Coast would be a great testing ground for mosquito repellents. I
                    think the variety that is most plentiful around Mobile is the salt
                    marsh mosquito. Also a good place to test effectiveness against
                    no-seeums. For deer flies I want quarter inch boiler plate between
                    them and me!

                    Len Christiansen lrchristiansen@...
                    SA Troop 292, Mobile, AL Spanish Trail District Commissioner
                    Gihim - One Who Encourages

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
                      Yeah, send them all to me. I'll paddle out to Anclote
                      Key for a long weekend, where you can se the noseeum's
                      ;)
                      --- Jerry Goller <geartester@...> wrote:
                      > We have a couple of insect repellent tests we
                      > couldn't get to from last
                      > year. I particularly want to give the Sawyer Gold a
                      > good work out with
                      > black and deer flys. We've also got the Sawyer and
                      > 3M extended
                      > protection (12 - 24 hour) mosquito repellent. I'm
                      > looking for
                      > suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the
                      > black flys, New
                      > England but how early could we start and still have
                      > a good test? How
                      > about deer flys? I'm thinking somewhere along the
                      > Gulf Coast or maybe
                      > the Sierras for the mosquitoes. Any suggestions?
                      > Jerry

                      > most comprehensive
                      > interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                      http://auctions.yahoo.com
                    • Ron Martino
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
                        > We have a couple of insect repellent tests we couldn’t get to from
                        > last year. I particularly want to give the Sawyer Gold a good work out
                        > with black and deer flys. We’ve also got the Sawyer and 3M extended
                        > protection (12 – 24 hour) mosquito repellent. I’m looking for
                        > suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the black flys, New
                        > England but how early could we start and still have a good test? How
                        > about deer flys? I’m thinking somewhere along the Gulf Coast or maybe
                        > the Sierras for the mosquitoes. Any suggestions?
                        >
                        > Jerry

                        In western Montana it's mostly ticks, mosquitoes and no-see-ums, with
                        the season for ticks starting as early as April in some places; but it
                        would be better to wait until high summer for heavier concentrations of
                        all of them.

                        Ron
                        --

                        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
                      • Clifford R. Haynes
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
                          Bug juice
                          Here in Maine it sepends on the yaer and where you are. But it's a good bet from the middle of May to the first week of July the Black Flys whould be more than willing to give any Bug Juice a good workout.
                          We have a couple of insect repellent tests we couldnt get to from last year. I particularly want to give the Sawyer Gold a good work out with black and deer flys. Weve also got the Sawyer and 3M extended protection (12 24 hour) mosquito repellent. Im looking for suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the black flys, New England but how early could we start and still have a good test? How about deer flys? Im thinking somewhere along the Gulf Coast or maybe the Sierras for the mosquitoes.  Any suggestions?

                          Jerry

                        • Michael Wheiler
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
                            Bug juice
                            Jerry:

                            My experience with bugs in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming probably isn't far off from what you get in Utah.  I agree with the others who have posted responses from the Northwest or Rocky Mountain region--mid summer would be best for our testing.  In the areas I frequent, ticks and mosquitos are a definite problem.  Additionally, we have deer flies and what I refer to as horse flies--the Arnold Schwarzenegger of deer flies.  With these guys I like Leonards idea of 1/4 inch plate steel--it would be more difficult to pick me up and carry me off!

                            Mike

                          • artcloutmn@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 4, 2002
                              In a message dated 2/1/02 2:47:56 PM, geartester@... writes:

                              << I'm looking for
                              suggestions as to when and where. I assume, for the black flys, New
                              England but how early could we start and still have a good test? How
                              about deer flys? >>

                              Black fly season in NH is at peak in May but can continue in June and July in
                              the colder areas. Deer flies occcur in hotter days of July and August.
                              Mosquitoes start in June just after Memorial Day.

                              Art
                            • artcloutmn@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 4, 2002
                                In a message dated 2/1/02 3:19:10 PM, geartester@... writes:

                                << I thought that black fly season on the north
                                end of the AT was late March, early April...no? >>

                                No, the snow has not even melted in NH. Art