Repost Owner Review Mountain Hardwear lamina 45 Zachary Huang

  • painting.accident
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2009
      Edits complete.
      html link included

      http://tinyurl.com/yefklyc

      Thanks Kathy!
      -Zack

      Mountain Hardwear Lamina 45 Synthetic Sleeping Bag

      Owner Review

      November, 02,2009
      Zachary Huang

      Age 19

      Male

      5'10" (178 cm)

      125 lbs (57 kg)

      the.painting.accident@...

      Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
      Backpacking Background:
      Typical pack weight: 35-45 lbs (16-21 kg)

      Pack style: Light-medium weight

      Types of travel: Extended trips abroad, 3-5 day hikes

      Shelter type: 3 season 2 man tent

      Special Activities: Black and White Film Photography

      I began backpacking and hiking 4 years ago starting with overnighters and weekend trips. I progressively moved on to weeklong trips and months abroad in foreign countries. I travel mostly in temperate climates and pack as light as possible. I currently attend school on the east coast of the US so I've encountered various terrains in all seasons.

      Product information:

      Model: Lamina 45

      MSRP (Reg) $120.00

      Manufacturer: Mountain Hardwear

      Year of Manufacturer: 2008

      MFG Measurements:

      REG Size

      Insulation: Thermic Micro

      Loft -2.36 in / 6.00 cm

      Stuffed diameter -6.00 in / 15.24 cm

      Fill weight - 0 lbs, 11 oz / 335.14 g

      Inside length -78.00 in / 198.12 cm

      Shoulder girth -62.00 in / 157.48 cm

      Foot girth -38.00 in / 96.52 cm

      Weight 1 lb. 12 oz. / 788 g.

      Actual Weight: 1lb. 11 oz. /788 g
      Description

      The Lamina 45 utilizes Mountain Hardwear's efficient mummy cut, which reduces weight and provides great thermal retention. The Lamina 45 includes in its design an Ergo Draft collar and face gasket, which can be cinched down to seal in warmth. The Lamina 45 features a full-length zipper both in right and left zip, with an insulated draft tube along the length of the zipper. The Lamina 45 comes in two colors Radiance (a gold/yellow) and ketchup which looks just like ketchup. Mountain Hardwear adorned the Lamina 45 with two small internal pockets at the users shoulder level opposite of the zipper, one with a Velcro enclosure and one with a zipper. The Mountain Hardwear logo and the type of insulation fill are stitched at breast level next to the zipper and the model and temperature ratings are stitched at the foot level. The lack of seams make the Lamina series bags truly distinct, with their welded insulation less fill is needed and a streamline look is achieved. The Lamina's shell is made of 40D Nylon Ripstop, which looks and feels like silk.

      Location and Conditions
      This sleeping bag was used extensively for a month abroad in China during the month of June. Terrains included marshy areas, riversides, mountaintops, and hostels. Temperatures encountered ranged from 100 F-50 F (38 C- 28 C). The sleeping bag performed past expectations. Not only did it keep me more than comfortable on cold nights at 5,000 ft (1,524 M) but it also acted, as a plush blanket on hot windy nights zipped open. The weight of the sleeping bag went unnoticed in the pack over the month of backpacking and was extremely handy as a blanket, sleeping bag, jacket, and regained its loft easily upon removal from the stuff sack. The bag was highly water resistant and dried extremely fast after being washed.

      Performance in the Field
      Upon receiving my Lamina 45 in the mail I was instantly impressed by the overall construction, feel, and compressibility of the sleeping bag. The sleeping bag was immensely compressible with the included compression stuff sack, compressing down to the size of a football and was easy to stuff and extract. The welded design cuts weight and aids in holding the insulation in place. The ripstop nylon is amazingly supple to sleep in and the thermic micro insulation provides great loft. Being the first warm weather sleeping bag I've ever owned I was concerned at first with its ability to keep me warm on a brisk morning. But upon getting into the bag I was instantly impressed by its heat retaining capabilities. The mummy cut provided ample space for me to shift around and even share with a companion partially zipped open. The sleeping bag has a full length zipper which can be zipped open at the foot to provide some airflow on stuffy nights. The sleeping bag comes with both a compression stuff sack and a large mesh storage sack both adorned with the Mountain Hardwear logo.
      The Lamina 45 is a lightweight, warm, roomy sleeping bag both intelligently and practically designed
      Things I Like:

      The mummy cut provided ample room for my stature
      Great insulating capabilities
      Light pack weight and high compressibility

      Things I don't like:

      1. none. I was highly impressed

      Signature

      Zachary Huang