Thank you Cheryl McMurray - Re: OR: ThermoJet MicroLite Stove-

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009

      Edit Administration Manager
    • themiddlesister1951
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2009
        Cheryl,

        Very conprehensive Review! Your pictures and HTML are fine. You know the drill. When you have made the corrections, please delete the test file and upload to the brand new folder at:

        Thanks,
        Kathy
        OR Editor
        I've been backpacking and hiking for four years, mostly on weekends
        year around. Overnight trips are usually three day, two night trips
        in the Eastern Sierras with 32 lb to 40 lb (15 kg to 18 kg) loads
        depending on the season. One class two rock climb with a day pack is
        common. Day hikes are 10-15 mi (16 km to 24 km) in the San
        Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains with loads of 15 lb to 20 lb (7
        km to 9 km). I'm a tent style camper and have experienced snow,
        freezing temperatures, winds (once was gale force), light rain, but
        mostly fair weather so far.
        Edit: I know this is an issue with some editors, so I will point out that you are 8 words over the 100 word bio limit. You might want to re-word before someone gets their shorts in a bunch (or panties in a twist, as gender dictates).

        The ThermoJet MicroLite Stove is a full featured three season
        lightweight backpackers alcohol stove.
        EDIT: Change to "backpackers'" with an apostrophe at the end to show possessive.

        See the website for more information.
        COMMENT: Just my opinion, but I think you should leave this sentence out rather than directing the reader to leave your review.

        This stove can use a variety of alcohol fuels: denatured alcohol,
        methanol based gas line antifreeze, grain alcohol, 91% isopropyl
        (rubbing alcohol), and even 151 proof rum.
        COMMENT: "151 proof rum"? Captain Morgan and I are both horrified!!! <g>

        What is included Stove, Nalgene bottle, burner, simmer band Stove
        inside a 1.3 liter pan

        Stove set up In full cooking mode In simmer mode
        COMMENT: I just checked your HTML and the above two sentences are in your "ALT" tag. You might want to add them to the appropriate "Caption" fields so as to have descriptions under the pictures. Just a though!

        I do not keep the fuel with the stove but
        instead store it separately so I usually fill that end with a rolled
        up trash bag that I always bring with.
        EDIT: I think you are missing "me" at the end of this sentence.

        1.3 liter pan on the stove.
        COMMENT: Ditto my previous comment about picture captions and all other pictures below.

        I have used this stove on seven backpacking trips since April for a
        total of fourteen times heating water for breakfast and forteen times
        cooking one pot dinners in a 44 oz (1.3 l) non-stick titanium pot.
        EDIT: Correct the spelling of the second "fourteen".

        The website states that the flame can be extinguished by removing the
        combustion chamber and setting the pot directly on the burner and then
        blowing the flame out but I have not been able to successfully to
        that.
        EDIT: Change the last "to" to "do".

        .75 oz (.2 ml) fuel (measurement lines are drawn on my bottle with
        squirt spout)
        EDIT: Conventionally (and BGT standards) a leading zero is added before any decimal point. So, please add zeros to all measurements, here and elsewhere in the review, such as "0.75 oz (0.2 ml)".

        The website states that 16 oz of water
        will boil in 3 min 45 sec using .5 oz (.1 ml) of denatured alcohol
        which is more optimistic than my findings stated above however their
        findings might be based on the regular size stove.
        EDIT: Need metric conversion for 16 oz.

        1/2 package Knorr sides with 3 oz dehydrated chicken added
        EDIT: Need metric conversion for 3 oz.

        With the type of cooking that do, I can cook enough breakfasts (two 14
        oz cups of coffee) and dinners for a three day, two night backpacking
        trip with a total of 5 oz (1.4 ml) of fuel which will fit into a 4 oz
        (1.1 ml) container.
        EDIT: Need metric conversion for 14 oz.

        I have lowered the simmer band once the dinner begins to boil but have
        not noticed a difference in flame size thus questioning it's claim
        that it has a simmer mode.
        EDIT: Change "it's" to "its" to show possessive not contraction.

        The epoxy
        sealer on the burner has remained unaffected and the jets have not
        clogged yet and still performs like new.
        EDIT: Change to "perform" (plural as are "jets").

        Although I don't think that the ThermoJet MicroLite stove lives up to
        all of it's claims on it's website, specifically cooking time, fuel
        amount and ability to simmer, I do think that it is a well designed
        alcohol stove that works well in cold temperatures, breezy conditions
        and has an efficient enough cooking design to do a two night three day
        backpacking trip on just 5 oz (1.4 ml) of fuel. It's total weight
        still comes in lighter than my lightweight canister stove comparing
        equivalent parts needed by 2 oz (.6 ml), and for lighter weight
        backpacking every ounce counts.
        EDIT: Change the three instances of "it's" to "its".
        COMMENT: The first sentence is a real mouthful! If you could re-word to maybe 2 sentences, I think it would be much easier to read.
      • Cheryl Mcmurray
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2009
          Hi Kathy,
          Thank you for your very quick edit. I have made all the changes and
          will upload the review but the location of the new folder that I'm to
          upload to is missing from your e-mail. Was wondering if you could
          send that to me.
          Thank you for your hard work,
          Cheryl

        • Kathy Waters