Owner review/ Mountain Hardwear Lamina 45/ Zachary Huang

  • painting.accident
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009
      Mountain Hardwear Lamina 45 Synthetic Sleeping Bag
      Owner Review
      November, 02,2009

      Zachary Huang
      Age 19
      Male
      5'10" (178cm)
      125 lbs (57 kg)
      the.painting.accident@...
      Honolulu, Hawaii, USA

      Background:

      Typical pack weight: 35-45 lbs (16-21 kg)
      Pack style: Light-medium weight
      Types of travel: Extended trips abroad, 3-5 day hikes
      Shelter type: 3 season 2 man tent
      Special Activities: Black and White Film Photography

      Backpacking background: I began backpacking and hiking 4 years ago starting with overnighters and weekend trips. I progressively moved on to weeklong trips and months abroad in foreign countries. I travel mostly in temperate climates and pack as light as possible. I currently attend school on the east coast of the US so I've encountered various terrains in all seasons.

      Product information:
      Lamina 45 – msrp (Reg) $120.00
      Manufacturer: Mountain Hardwear
      Year of Manufacturer: 2008
      www.mountainhardwear.com

      MFG Measurements:
      REG Size
      Loft -2.36 in / 6.00 cm
      Stuffed diameter -6.00 in / 15.24 cm
      Fill weight - 0 lbs, 11 oz / 335.14 g
      Inside length -78.00 in / 198.12 cm
      Shoulder girth -62.00 in / 157.48 cm
      Foot girth -38.00 in / 96.52 cm
      Weight 1 lb. 12 oz. / 788 g.
      Actual Weight: 1lb. 11 oz. /788g

      Description: Upon receiving my lamina 45 in the mail I was instantly impressed by the overall construction, feel, and compressibility of the sleeping bag. The sleeping bag was immensely compressible with the included compression stuff sack, compressing down to the size of a football and was easy to stuff and extract. The welded design cuts weight and aids in holding the insulation in place. The ripstop nylon is amazingly supple to sleep in and the thermic micro provides great loft. Being the first warm weather sleeping bag I've ever owned I was concerned at first with its ability to keep me warm on a brisk morning. But upon getting into the bag I was instantly impressed by its heat retaining capabilities. The mummy cut provided ample space for me to shift around and even share with a companion partially zipped open. The sleeping bag has a full length zipper which can be zipped open at the foot to provide some airflow on stuffy nights. The sleeping bag comes with both a compression stuff sack and a large mesh storage sack both adorned with the mountain hardwear logo.

      Field test:

      This sleeping bag was used extensively for a month abroad in China during the month of June. Terrains included marshy areas, riversides, mountaintops, and hostels. Temperatures encountered ranged from 100F-50F. The sleeping bag performed past expectations. Not only did it keep me more than comfortable on cold nights at 5,000 ft but it also acted, as a plush blanket on hot windy nights zipped open. The weight of the sleeping bag went unnoticed in the pack over the month of backpacking and was extremely handy as a blanket, sleeping bag, jacket, and regained its loft easily upon removal from the stuff sack. The bag was highly water resistant and dried extremely fast after being washed.

      Things I Like:
      1. The mummy cut provided ample room for my stature
      2. Great insulating capabilities
      3. Light pack weight and high compressibility

      Things I don't like:
      1. none. I was highly impressed
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • themiddlesister1951
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2009
          I have been assigned to edit your Owner's Review. This appears to be your
          very first review, so I tried to go easy on you! ;) Writing for BGT takes
          practice and you needn't be discouraged by the editing process. If it seems
          "greek" to you, you might want to check in with the BGT mentoring program
          where eager volunteers will help you master the process of writing ORs,
          applying for tests and writing test reports. It's a great
          program and I really think it would be helpful for you to contact
          Jenn K at mentor@... before proceeding.

          Since this is your first review (a very good start) and there are more than a couple edits, I
          would like you to REPOST your OR to the list when you have made the edits.
          When you repost, make sure that you have in the subject line "REPOST: Owner
          Review – Product Name – Your Name". Your name always
          needs to be in the subject line for reviews, reports, edits, etc.

          Also, after the corrections, you need to upload your HTML file to the Owner
          Review test folder so I can check out your HTML. When you repost, you must
          put a link in the e-mail to that file location so I can view the uploaded
          file. Actually, the HTML file must always be uploaded to the OR Test folder and the URL of that file must be posted in your email text posting to the list.

          At that time, I'll check out the HTML and, if all is OK, give you the go ahead to upload. Please remember to use "REPOST" when you report the plain text of your corrected OR to the list.

          My list of edits follows. Let me know if you don't understand anything I've
          written.

          Conventionally the following terms are used in the editing process:
          *** EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards
          [because the Editor says so!]
          *** Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way [unless you
          seriously object with good reason]
          *** Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change of
          some sort as a result.

          Kathy Waters
          BGT Owner Review Editor

          5'10" (178cm)
          EDIT: Spacing need to be inserted between all numerals and their written abbreviations for measurements. There needs to be a space also between the feet and inches measurements. Spaces are NOT needed between the numerals and the symbols for feet and inches. So this should read – "5' 10" (178 cm)".

          Background:

          Typical pack weight: 35-45 lbs (16-21 kg)
          Pack style: Light-medium weight
          Types of travel: Extended trips abroad, 3-5 day hikes
          Shelter type: 3 season 2 man tent
          Special Activities: Black and White Film Photography

          Backpacking background: I began backpacking and hiking 4 years ago starting with
          overnighters and weekend trips. I progressively moved on to weeklong trips and
          months abroad in foreign countries. I travel mostly in temperate climates and
          pack as light as possible. I currently attend school on the east coast of the US
          so I've encountered various terrains in all seasons.
          COMMENT: I like how you did the background. Very nice and concise! Just one suggestion and that would be to put the work "Backpacking" before your header "Background" and delete the phrase "Backpacking background" in the beginning of the paragraph. I think it would read better, but it is your choice.

          Lamina 45 – msrp (Reg) $120.00
          Manufacturer: Mountain Hardwear
          Year of Manufacturer: 2008
          www.mountainhardwear.com
          EDIT: "MSRP" should be capitalized as are all acronyms
          Edit: Conventionally here at BGT, the MSRP is places on a separate line, also, Lamina 45 would have a label of "Model: Lamina 45" and the website would either be labeled as "URL: www…" or "Website: www…" and be clickable (the clickable part is mandatory).

          Upon receiving my lamina 45 in the mail I was instantly impressed
          by the overall construction, feel, and compressibility of the sleeping bag.
          EDIT: Capitalize "Lamina".

          Actual Weight: 1lb. 11 oz. /788g
          EDIT: Add a space between "788" and "g".

          EDIT: This is a great piece of information, but it is not a "description" of the product as is required. The Product Description section of an OR is used to paint a picture of what the product actually looks like. What color it is, what the outside/lining is made of, how the zipper is constructed, any features, like a drawcord, hood, etc. Imagine the reader of your OR doesn't have a graphic of the item and make sure your words create the picture of the item.

          You should not delete this section (it's good info) but move it into a "Performance in the Field" section as I explained below.

          The ripstop nylon is amazingly supple to sleep in and the thermic micro
          provides great loft.
          EDIT: Is "thermic micro" a trademark, a decryption or what? Is there a word missing? I don't understand what you are saying here. Please explain.

          The sleeping bag comes with both a compression stuff sack and a large
          mesh storage sack both adorned with the mountain hardwear logo.
          EDIT: Capitalize "Mountain Hardwear". If the logo is not capitalized on the product and that is what you want to convey, put the words in quotes.

          Field Test
          EDIT: This is an "Owner Review" so "Field Test" is inappropriate as you were not "testing" the gear, you were "using" it in the field.

          EDIT: The information you have in this section is generally broken into two different sections – one being "Locations and Conditions" and the other "Performance in the Field". "Locations and Conditions" would have the information as to a rough idea of how much you used it, where you used it, what the conditions were, etc. You covered that info, nicely. The "Performance in the Field" would be where you tell – well, how it worked (or didn't) for you. This is where the information you have in your "Description" should go.

          Temperatures encountered ranged from 100F-50F.
          EDIT: You need a space between the number and the "F" and you need metric conversions.

          Not only did it keep me more than comfortable on
          cold nights at 5,000 ft but it also acted, as a plush blanket on hot windy
          nights zipped open.
          EDIT: Ditto, metric conversions.

          The lamina 45 is a lightweight, warm, roomy sleeping bag both intelligently and
          practically designed
          EDIT: Capitalize "Lamina".
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2010
            KATHY - Zachary Huang(2) â€" Mountain Hardwear Lamina 45 Sleeping Bag - Posted Nov 2(msg# 78405), Taken Nov 8, Edit Nov 8 (78418), Repost Nov 8, Edit Nov 9 (78429), Repost Nov 10 / waiting for tech help, Repost Dec 7, Edit/Approved Dec 20(78619), follow up sent Jan 8
            -------
            Hi Zachary,

            After reviewing our edit queue I noticed you have not uploaded this approved report. Anything we help with to get it done?

            Let me know what your plans are.
            Thanks,
            Jamie D.
            BGT Edit Admin Manager