OR - Coleman Portable Oven - Jerry Goller

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
      HTML version at http://tinyurl.com/year367

      COLEMAN PORTABLE OVEN
      BY JERRY GOLLER <<IMAGE 1>>
      OR
      November 01, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jerry Goller
      EMAIL: <mailto:jerrygoller@...>
      jerrygoller@...
      AGE: 62
      LOCATION: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 220 lb (99.80 kg)

      I started camping with my father at age 6 or so. I've backpacked and truck
      camped, off and on, all of my life. Even in the Marine Corps, I

      was in the Infantry. I consider myself a light weight backpacker with an
      average dry pack weight of 10 to 15 pounds (4.5 to 7 kg),

      depending on the season and terrain. I backpack year round.

      Most of my trips are 2 to 5 days long and in Utah. I also, from time to
      time, take much longer trips lasting one to two months or more.

      These trips are usually on the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Crest Trail.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: The Coleman Company
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - " <http://www.coleman.com>
      http://www.coleman.com" LINK TEXT = " <http://www.COLEMAN.COM>
      WWW.COLEMAN.COM">>
      MSRP: US$129.99
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 17 lbs. 3 oz. (78 kg)
      Oven Interior Dimensions:
      Listed:
      14" (35.5 cm) Wide
      12" (30.5 cm) Deep
      5" (13 cm) High
      Measured:
      Wide and Deep were as listed. High: 6.5" (16.5 cm)
      Can handle most 13" X 9" (33 cm X 23 cm) pans.
      6,000 BTU
      Capable of 500 F (260 C) temperatures

      Please Note: This report is formatted for optimal viewing with Internet
      Explorer 8 or above at resolutions of 1280x800 or above on a

      screen size of 15" or larger.

      The Coleman Portable Oven is basically a propane powered camp toaster oven.
      It is powered by either Coleman 16.4 oz (465 g) disposable

      propane cylinders or, with an accessory adaptor hose, bulk propane
      cylinders. It comes with one of Coleman's propane regulators, the only

      piece that has to be attached for operation of the oven. It mates the oven
      to the gas cylinder or bulk cylinder hose.
      It has a built in thermometer on the top of the oven that reads in
      Fahrenheit and Celsius. It reads from 100 F (38 C) to 600 F (316 C).
      The oven uses Coleman's InstaStartT system to light the oven. InstaStart is
      Coleman's piezoelectric igniter. Just push the button and the

      burner lights. Matches or lighters are not required.
      The door handle is designed to stay cool to the touch when the oven is
      operating.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Oven Inside" IMAGE CAPTION = "Inside Oven">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Thermometer" IMAGE CAPTION = "Thermometer">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Temp Control" IMAGE CAPTION = "Temperature
      Control">>

      FIELD USE

      I'm one of those people that want things to always be the way I expect them
      to be. I don't like surprises. Virtually all the surprises in

      my life weren't good. When I fix breakfast I want it to always be what I am
      used to, what I expect. I'm that way even when I am fixing

      breakfast at a campsite. One of my favorite breakfasts and, indeed, one of
      my favorite snacks, is toast and coffee. Good old toast and

      coffee. Toast, bacon, and coffee is just heaven. It never fails to satisfy
      me, unless, of course, it doesn't turn out like I expect it to.

      Then I just can't eat it. It starts off my day on the wrong side.
      That has been my camping situation for most of my life. I tried every toast
      making device I've seen. None of them made toast like my

      electric toaster at home. I went so far as to make up a converter and
      battery setup to run an electric toaster at my campsite. It worked

      but the 100 pound battery pack proved to be a bit unhandy.
      Then I tried the Coleman Portable Oven. Eureka! It not only made toast as
      well as my home toaster, it made it better! Every slice came

      out perfectly toasted. Now, granted, I have to keep some what of an eye on
      it. It toasts the bread as fast, if not faster, than my home

      toaster but it doesn't, of course, pop the toast out. But it is easy to
      check on the toast by opening the door and taking a peek. I've

      done it often enough that I just know when to check. Although the oven door
      has a glass section for viewing the baking area, I make toast

      on the top rack setting and so I can't see the top of the toast very well.
      The toaster also does a bang up job on bacon, as well. Bacon prepared in an
      oven doesn't curl nearly as badly as it does in a skillet. The

      grease also drips off the bacon on the rack so the bacon isn't so bad for
      me. Well, that's what I tell myself, anyway. All in all, it

      makes a perfect Jerry breakfast. The coffee turned out to be another problem
      but that will have to wait for another review.
      The nice thing about the Coleman Portable Oven is that it also toasts or
      bakes just about anything else you can fit in it. I've made

      frozen waffles, corn bread muffins, blue berry muffins, turnovers, cookies,
      and even brownies. The only caution I would give is that all

      portable camp ovens I've seen have no way to regulate their temperatures. In
      other words, the operator has to continually monitor the

      baking process and make any necessary temperature adjustments manually. The
      Coleman is no exception. All this means is that one must keep

      an eye on the baking items and possibly adjust the temperature up or down or
      the bake times longer or shorter.
      I've used this oven many times on many trips from 2,000' (600 m) or so up
      to around 10,000' (3,000 m). It has performed well in

      temperatures from the low 20s F (-6 C) up to the 80s F (28 C). The only
      difference I've noticed is the InstaStart gets a little tricky at

      low temps. I usually carry a long propane lighter, like the ones for
      starting fireplaces, as a backup.
      There is a bit of a learning curve for this oven. I've used it for over a
      year now and have gotten pretty good at it. Virtually all my

      baking and toasting has been done with the temperature adjustment knob very
      near its lowest setting. This oven can get very hot and there

      is a bit of a lag time after making temperature adjustments. I start out
      with the flame at the lowest setting that the burner will stay

      lit and go from there. Temperatures around 350 F (177 C) can be a bit tricky
      to maintain. Make very small adjustments and try not to

      micromanage the temp during baking. It seems to bake surprisingly close to
      the times listed on the products I've made in it. But I would

      still start checking on it a few minutes before you think it should be
      ready. It is much easier to check too often that to try to "unburn"

      the item.
      It seems to make toast best between 450 and 500 F (230-260 C) with the rack
      set in the highest slots.
      As you may have noticed from my pictures, my present oven is nice and clean.
      That is because it isn't the original one. On my last family

      camping trip I discovered that my multitasking skills aren't up to backing a
      gear trailer, keeping track of all the gear stacked for

      The Unfortunate Trailer Backing Incident. Fortunately, the only

      casualty was my beloved Coleman Portable Oven. It had become such an
      indispensible part of my base camp gear that I had to immediately

      replace it. The pictures are of my nice shiny new one.

      THINGS I'D CHANGE

      I think the burner tube is too big/and or long. It puts out too much heat
      for this size oven. Virtually all baking is done at the very

      lowest settings and it can be very tricky to maintain stable flame levels.
      It is very easy to over adjust the flame lower and have it go

      out. The settings I have used most are in the lowest 5% of the temp dial and
      none above 10%. By lowering the output of the burner I think

      the user would have a more stable flame level for the desired temperature
      range.

      I had a problem with the small screws holding the door to the door hinge.
      Coleman promptly sent me replacement screws but I found the old

      screw holes to be stripped out. I had to use much larger self-tapping screws
      to replace the missing screws. I think the oven hinge would

      be better served with larger screws. The present ones just seem too small
      for holding the oven door on, particularly through repeated

      opening and closing of the oven door.

    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
        This phrase " Please Note: This report is formatted for optimal viewing with
        Internet Explorer 8 or above at resolutions of 1280x800 or above on a screen
        size of 15" or larger." will be removed from the final version.

        Jerry

        reviews and tests on the planet.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2009

          If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

          Edit Administration Manager
        • Ray
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
            Hi Jerry,

            I drew the short straw. ;-)

            Nice review, my son would love for me to get one of those so he could have pizza every day while camping.

            Edits are below,

            Ray

            ***Measured Weight: 17 lbs. 3 oz. (78 kg)

            Edit: I have always been told no periods after the lbs & oz

            *** Now, granted, I have to keep some what of an eye on it.

            EDIT: somewhat

            ***The nice thing about the Coleman Portable Oven is that it also toasts or bakes just about anything else you can fit in it.

            EDIT: ah, the dreaded "you". How about, "anything else I can fit in it"

            ***I've made frozen waffles, corn bread muffins, blue berry muffins

            Edit: blueberry
          • Jerry Goller
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
              It happens to the best of us..... ;o)

              Done.

              Thanks for the edits, Ray!

              ------------------------------------

              To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/Yahoo!
              Groups Links

              database 4567 (20091102) __________

              http://www.eset.com

              database 4570 (20091103) __________

              http://www.eset.com
            • Ray
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
                You are most welcome sir,

                Jerry I am not sure where you want to put that though. If you want it in Basecamp Gear I suppose it would need a new sub-folder (Ovens)and I am not supposed to make those. As you can make anything you want I shall leave it to your discretion.

                Ray
              • Jerry Goller
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
                  I've asked for a header of Propane Appliances to be made under Campsite
                  Gear.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
                    One more edit Jerry. Please include a date at the top of your OR.

                    Thanks,
                    Jamie D
                    Edit Admin Manager