Repost - OR2 - LOKI Tak Light Shell - Travis Crooke

  • Travis Crooke
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009
      Ray,

      Sorry I did not finish this earlier. I got back from the Grand Canyon in Mid- October, and I was waiting for your edits because I thought you were going to post it at that point. I did not realize you posted it the day after I posted it! That was amazing. I also want to apologize about the lack of spell checking. I did not realize that my Microsoft Word program does not have a spell check that works. I would have checked spelling in the BGT Report Generator. I thought I simply didn't have any corrections to spelling when I edited myself. I resized and rearranged the photos again (I spent an entire afternoon doing it last time, but apparently it didn't make spec, which is fine.). I also included a list of review data. If you need anything else, I'll be checking the list now that I know you are so prompt!

      On a different note, in my first review, Rich insisted that use snipurl on something. I'm sorry, but I forgot where I'm supposed to do that. I thought it dealt with uploading the html, but I just browsed and clicked on the report in the folder I generated. Hope that is acceptable.

      Thanks for the help. I'm getting excited to start "testing".

      Travis

      LOKI TAK LIGHT SHELL
      BY TRAVIS CROOKE
      OR
      September 20, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Travis Crooke
      EMAIL: tcrooke21@...
      AGE: 29
      LOCATION: Steamboat Springs, Colorado
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 182 lb (82.60 kg)

      The first time I went backpacking overnight was in college. Since then, I have explored many of the forests, shores, deserts, and mountains of America, Mexico, Patagonia, and Europe. I live in the Rockies, and work winters as a fully certified ski instructor, and summers as a bicycle and raft guide. Lately, I have been a fan of the multi-sport outing. For these I use bikes, skis, snowmobiles, and boats to get to good backpacking spots. I spend a lot of time on and off trails. Function and durability are more important to me than saving weight.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: LOKI
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: <http://www.lokigear.com">>
      MSRP: US$ 189
      Listed Weight: 19 oz (539 g)
      Measured Weight: 19.5 oz (553 g)

      FIELD USE

      Owner Review:

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "Regular Joe">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 7" IMAGE CAPTION = "Insta Ninja!">>

      LOKI is a small business located in Grand Junction, Colorado. The company takes its name from the shape shifting Norse God of Mischief. LOKI integrates built-in mittens and face warmers into all of their jackets, thereby transforming a normal jacket into a ninja's dream outerlayer. The idea is beautiful because the mittens and face shield can hide within the garment, giving it the appearance of a normal coat, or they can be employed and I can then report to ninja practice.

      I reviewed the Tak Light Shell Jacket (referred to as the Tak) in a size Large. This is LOKI's raincoat. The jacket is made of Asgard 2.5 material, which offers rain protection without insulation. The material includes ripstop technology and is akin in thickness to other three-layer raincoat material, but is only a two-layered fabric. The Tak is water resistant and yet breathable at the same time. I have not found the perfect raincoat yet, and as my gallant quest continues, I thought I would review this garment for Backpackgeartest.org. I reviewed the topaz (orange) coat , but it currently comes in black, molten (red), and black / fog (black and gray).

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Fishing the Afternoon Showers">>

      I live in Steamboat Springs, CO. Everyday around three of four o'clock in the summer it decides to rain. Showers generally last an hour, at which point the skies clear and I go fishing. This works out perfect for an initial impression because it rains long enough to test the waterproofing. After I got the jacket, I waited for the clouds to roll in, and took my dog for a walk when Frey (the Norse God of Rain) decided to unleash a whopper upon the valley. Initially, the jacket held up extremely well. As a matter of fact, the jacket faired better than any rain coat I have initially tested and better than my dog. She refused to come out from under a log during the storm. The weatherproofing was superb and beads of water formed all over the surface of the garment. As the garment ages, these beads tend to permeate breathable layers. This in turn causes the outer layer to become wet but the inside remains dry. While the wearer remains dry in
      both scenarios, the latter causes the garmet to hold water and it becomes heavier due to exposure. Weight is usually avoided if possible while backpacking, so this is a very pertinent consideration when choosing rain coats. It was nice to see the jacket bead, but I was curious as to whether the resistance would hold over time.

      The jacket comes with a main zipper with one slider, which I like because it is easy to zip quickly in a storm. I find that jackets with two sliders often become difficult to zip together, which is not what I want when Frey is serving up a nasty portion. The TAK is not welded, but all of the seams are taped and sealed.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Backside of Mit">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "Palmside of Mit">>

      LOKI jackets come with mitten and face warmer options. For the mittens, LOKI makes jacket arms about 3 inches (7.6 cm) longer than other jackets I have reviewed. There is a little flap at the end of each sleeve, and if I grab it with my other hand and fold it over the cuff, like one would do with those sandwich bags that are not zip locks, my hand is magically inside of a built in mitten. The back side of the mitten is Asgard nylon and the palm is a thin, slightly sticky rubber. The mitt keeps my hands dry and warm. I thought it was a bit gimmicky at first, but as I tested it over the past year, it has proven its worth. Similar to the mittens, the face warmer hides within the coat until called upon. All I have to do is take off the hood, pull the warmer over my head so that it is around my neck, and then put the hood on again. These features are easy to manipulate on the fly and make the Tak a unique raincoat option. I was concerned with the
      construction and quality of the jacket. I also wondered if it would compare to other raincoats I have reviewed. I decided an intense backpacking trip was in order.

      Mount Zirkel is north of Steamboat and reigns supreme as the region's highest peak at 12,180 feet (3712 m). To summit, it is a grueling 25 mile (40.25 km) hike, most of which is a scramble above treeline. A hiking partner and I set off for the summit at five in the morning. It was chilly hiking in the early hours before the sun had risen above the peaks in the area, so I put the jacket on to begin the hike. The coat is thick enough to keep me warm on brisk mornings, but thin enough to still wear for summer storms. The Tak is cut well and form-fitting. It boasts articulated elbows and shoulders so the fit is slim but nonrestrictive. I like this because less bulk and increased mobility is good stuff. I quickly warmed while hiking, so I vented the pit zips.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 15" IMAGE CAPTION = "Setting up camp in the Zirkel Wilderness">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 14" IMAGE CAPTION = "Pit and mesh pocket zips">>

      There are two zipper sliders on the pit zippers. This feature is great when backpacking because the straps of the bag sometimes get in the way of the venting zips if I can only zip in one direction. It got a little hotter as we hiked, so I then unzipped the front pockets. These pockets are mesh lined, so they double as front vents. They are situated 6 inches (15.2 cm) above the bottom of the coat, which is great because this places the pocket just above the hip belt on a backpack. The pockets are still accessible while hiking without unclipping the backpack.

      LOKI incorporated a zippered compartment on the back of the Tak (N_Pak they call it), which essentially allows the wearer to stuff the jacket into itself for storage. The jacket packs with straps on the outside so it can be worn as a backpack. I like using the straps to clip the jacket to the outside of my backpack with carabiners so I can quickly grab it if Frey sneaks up. On our way down from the hike, we were running from a hailstorm, but did not have the assistance of Zoran, the Norse god of speed. As a result, a bombardment of thunder, hail, and rain ensued. Great for gear testing. Again, the weatherproofing was crucial. The water beaded up but I remained cool with all of the vents open. My arms did get sticky, and the fabric tends to cling to skin that is sweaty. This stickiness is a minor inconvenience that I do not like.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 8" IMAGE CAPTION = "Backpack option">>

      I wanted to know how the jacket held up to monsoon amounts of rain, so I took it white water rafting. I have taken it rafting many times and have tracked the weatherproofing over the year that I have owned it. Initially, the weatherproofing works very well, but like other jackets, it loses its beading capacity over time. On a five-day raft trip on the Green River, Utah, it rained the whole time. Coupled with rapids, I got a good understanding of the jacket's potential. The Tak withstands rain very well, and I especially like that it dries quickly. If exposed to constant water, the outerlayer does soak up water and appear wet after about 30 minutes of exposure. The inside remains dry. This barrier has gradually decreased over the course of a year so that now the jacket does not bead. The inside of the coat still remains dry. While rafting I noticed the mittens collecting water. A little pool forms inside the mitt or in the little flap on
      the sleeve. This is a minor annoyance but worth noting. I also liked that the jacket has two cinch cords at the waist that prevents water from seeping inside the jacket from the bottom.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 10" IMAGE CAPTION = "Cinches for the Hood">>

      The hood of the jacket needs redesigning. The hood is slightly too small to fit over a helmet. I wore the jacket when summitting Torreys Peak (a Colorado 14er) for a ski descent this spring. It was an ideal outer layer and it protected me from the 70 mile per hour (113 kmph) winds that greeted me at the summit. Thanks Njord, Norse god of wind! However, my climbing helmet did not comfortably fit under the hood and I broke my goggles as a result. The hood also has an optional brim that I think is geeky. I would recommend that LOKI incorporate a wire brim instead of the flap they currently use. The flap does nothing for function or for style. Just look how geeky Average Joe looks in that first photo! The cinching mechanisms on the hood are well designed.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 13" IMAGE CAPTION = "Attacking a couliour">>

      Rain gear has to dry well, and the Tak does just this. As noted previously, the jacket dries quickly in the field. In addition, LOKI has included sturdy hooks both on the inside and outside of the coat that allow the jacket to hang securely while drying. I find that heavy jackets laden with water often strain the hanging hooks, but the LOKI hooks are designed for function.

      The Tak is a great backpacking coat, but it also good for bicycle touring. The sleeves are three inches longer for the mittens, but it also works well when reaching for the handlebars on a bike. I commute on my bike, and when it rains, I flip over the mitts and my hands stay dry and protected from hail. I use the face warmer to ward off bugs and hail. In addition, it hides my identity when sneaking out of unsightly establishments in the wee hours of the night. The cuffs are tight around my wrist, which prevents cold air from sneaking up my arms and circulating around my core. I wish that the sleeves had Velcro cinch closures around the wrist, but this is impossible to have with the mittens at the same time.

      Be warned, LOKI is a small company. This can be good or bad. I have visited their headquarters in Grand Junction, Colorado. I met the owners of the business and they are extremely good about their warranty. If a problem arises with the a garment, chances are good that an owner or designer will personally address the issue. The fact that the company is small is annoying because quantities are limited. I wanted a black jacket, but had to wait a year for it because they had sold out of that year's quantities. They only produce one shipment a year. The next year they lost my order, so I ended up with an orange jacket instead. I stand out when hiking Europe, but the orange is a nice option. It is easily seen on rainy days when colors are not vivid.

      SUMMARY

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 12" IMAGE CAPTION = "Spring Hop Turns!">>

      The LOKI TAK Lightweight Shell Jacket is one of the best raincoats I have used. Like most raincoats, the beading has decreased over time, but the inside of the jacket remains dry. The mitten and face shield features set this jacket apart from other brands, and the quality of construction is superb. There has been no fraying or rips after a year. I would trade all of the features for a jacket that beaded water permanently, but I am yet to find one. Reapplying waterproofing finish is simple and not a problem with this jacket. This is an ideal backpacking coat that is reliable and sturdy. It packs well for hiking and is easy to put on. The features make it versatile for other sports as well (decreasing the need for 3 different rain coats), and the company is small so they are easy to contact with warranty issues.

      THINGS I LIKE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 11" IMAGE CAPTION = "Top of the World">>

      Mitten Option
      Face Shield (Helpful for ninja training)
      Long Sleeves (Good for tall people and cyclists)
      Backpack Strap option (Packable and easy to attach to packs)
      Bottom zipper snap (Keeps the zipper cover flap closed)
      Hood drawstring closure (Quick and easy to do when wet or wearing mittens)
      Hand pocket/front vents
      Double zippered pit zips
      Taped Seams
      Articulated elbows and shoulders
      Sturdy hooks for hanging

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 9" IMAGE CAPTION = "Hood is too Small for a Helmet">>Hood is too small to fit a helmet
      Hood flap looks silly and is not functional
      Coat is sewn, not welded
      Mittens can get hot in summer and collect water in monsoons
      No neck gasket, so rain leaks down neck unless hood is on
      Neck warmer is restricting if hood is down
      Waterproofing deteriorates over time
      No Velcro cinch on wrist

      FIELD REVIEW CHART

      Review Location: Yampa River, CO
      Temperature Range: 32°F (0°C) - 85°F (29.5°C)
      Trip Length (Days): Single day outings
      Weather: Heavy Afternoon Rains, occasional snow flurries, partly cloudy
      Pack Weight: 7 lbs (3.2 kg)

      Review Location: Mount Zirkel, CO
      Temperature Range: 50°F (10°C) - 77° F (25°C)
      Trip Length (Days): Two days
      Weather: Sun, hail
      Pack Weight: 53 lbs (24 kg)

      Review Location: Gates of Ladore, UT
      Temperature Range: 55°F (12.8°C) - 91°F (51°C)
      Trip Length (Days): 6 days
      Weather: Rain… the whole time
      Pack Weight: N/A (all my stuff was on a boat)

      Review Location: Torreys Peak, CO
      Temperature Range: 11°F (6.1°C) - 35°F (19.4°C)
      Trip Length: One day
      Weather: Clear sky, 70 mph (113 kmph) winds
      Pack Weight: 35 lbs (15.9 kg)

      SIGNATURE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Slaying Trout!">>

      Travis Crooke
      tcrooke21@...

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

    • Travis Crooke
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
        Please clarify a question for me because I always miss my posts. I submitted my second OR with edits to Ray on October 31. In last week's queue, it said it had been taken by an editor. I always miss when they edit them and then I wait for days while I could be fixing my report. Did Ray finish with his edits yet and I missed the post, or has he not been able to do it? Any input is welcome! Thanks!

        Travis

      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
          I just got back this morning Travis.

          I will get to your repost as soon as I can.

          The best way to keep from missing them is to check often. We don't post the edits multiple times. We figure it is to your benefit to watch for them, and we have many going at one time.

          Ray

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Travis Crooke <tcrooke21@...> wrote:

          > Please clarify a question for me because I always miss my posts. I submitted my second OR with edits to Ray on October 31. In last week's queue, it said it had been taken by an editor. I always miss when they edit them and then I wait for days while I could be fixing my report. Did Ray finish with his edits yet and I missed the post, or has he not been able to do it? Any input is welcome! Thanks!
          >
          > Travis

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2009
            Hi Travis,

            OK this is better. Please go through all of these. Some were there the first time. Once done please put it back in the test folder (delete the old one) and give me a link to it here when you REPOST. If it is good I will give an approval and show you where to put it.

            Almost done,

            Ray

            ***Steamboat Springs, Colorado

            EDIT: please add "USA" at the end, and if you put (CO) after Colorado you can use the abbreviation through the rest of the review.

            LOKI integrates built-in mittens and face warmers into all of their jackets, thereby
            transforming a normal jacket into a ninja's dream outerlayer

            EDIT: outer layer

            ***While the wearer remains dry in both scenarios, the latter causes the garmet to hold water

            EDIT: garment

            ***For the mittens, LOKI makes jacket arms about 3 inches (7.6 cm) longer than other jackets I have reviewed.

            EDIT: since you have not reviewed any other coats for BGT can you please change that to "owned" or "used"

            *** The mitt keeps my hands dry and warm. I thought it was a bit gimmicky at first, but as I tested it over the past year,

            EDIT: again, you are not "testing" this. Please say, as I "used" it over the past year

            *** This feature is great when backpacking because the straps of the bag sometimes get in the way of the venting zips

            Edit: I think you mean the straps of the "pack" get in the way

            *** Initially, the weatherproofing works very well, but like other jackets, it loses its beading capacity over time.

            EDIT: like other jackets "I have owned" it loses its beading capacity over time.

            *** If exposed to constant water, the outerlayer does soak up water

            EDIT: outer layer

            ***If a problem arises with the a garment, chances are good that an owner or designer will personally address the issue.

            EDIT: delete either "a" or "the" before garment

            *** Like most raincoats, the beading has decreased over time, but the inside of the jacket remains dry.

            EDIT: like most raincoats "I have used"