Repost - MCNETT MICRONET MICROFIBER TOWEL - Mike Mosack

  • scoutmaster1006
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
      Please accept my repost of my 1st OR. The link is http://tinyurl.com/ydmrpj5
      and below is the text version for your editing pleasure.
      Thank you!
      Mike Mosack

      MCNETT MICRONET MICROFIBER TOWEL
      BY MICHAEL MOSACK
      OR
      September 25, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Michael Mosack
      EMAIL: mosack@...
      AGE: 45
      LOCATION: San Diego Ca
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 236 lb (107.00 kg)

      I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week long trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan and Canada to tropical backpacking in the Philippines and rely on my backpacking equipment constantly. I tent, car and RV camp. I go as light as possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items I carry, are paramount to me over price.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: McNett
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.mcnett.com" LINK TEXT = "www.mcnett.com">>
      MSRP: (US) $29.95
      Manufacturer's listed weight: None listed
      Product actual weight: I weighed the towel alone at 6.3 oz (179g) and then with storage bag at 8.4 oz (238g).
      Material: Microfiber suede
      Other details: Dimensions: 30" X 50" (77cm X 128cm) tested product size - large.
      Color reviewed: Coyote - other colors available in this model (military version) include, olive drab, green and tan.
      Package includes: Wet/dry storage bag that has a hanging loop with snap, towel pocket, wet/dry pouches and storage pocket.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image copied from website shows item size">>

      The following information was taken from manufacturer's website...

      HOLDS 5 TIMES ITS WEIGHT IN WATER!

      MicroNet's high density microfiber weave is an aggressive yet soft cleaner, gently removing oil, dirt and perspiration from hands, face and body. An ideal medical towel, blanket, bandana, cleaning cloth, sling or wrap. Includes deluxe wet/dry bag with 2 zippered compartments.

      • Ultra-Compact & Lightweight
      • Highly Absorbent & Quick Drying
      • Easy care – machine or hand washable
      • Soft , Thin Fabric Fits Comfortably Under Helmet for Protection from The Elements
      • Multifunctional - Use as a Medical Towel, Blanket, Bandana, Cleaning Cloth, Sling or an Absorbent Wrap
      • Designed for Mobility­—Easy to Pack

      Care: Machine or hand wash in cold water with like colors. Do not bleach. Do not use fabric softener. Wash dark colors separately. Hang to dry or machine dry with low heat.

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image copied from website of product tested.">>
      This has been my only towel and constant companion, for the past 9 months. I work in Afghanistan, traveling with military combat units and have used this daily. Field conditions include hot dry summer temperatures over 140 F (+41 C) to winter temperatures below 20 F (-5 C). I have used this from sea level to over 7,000 feet (2134 m) above sea level. I use this towel for normal drying after washing, cleaning of sunglasses and camera lenses, as a sun shade and when water soaked, as a "cool wrap" to help protect against the heat. During cooler temperatures, I have used this as a blanket too. The towel folds up small and takes up very little room in my pack. It is easy to hand wash with fresh water and biodegradable soap and after hand wringing and hung in full sun, it was dry in under an hour.

      I have used this towel in the following locations...
      Afghanistan, to include Herat, Kandahar, Kabul, Helmand Province and many remote areas in between; California, to include San Diego, Ocotillo Wells Vehicle Recreation Area, Anza-Borrego State Park and Laguna Mountains; Grand Canyon area of Havasupai Campgrounds and trail; Bangkok, Thailand and Maldives Islands of Male and Helengeli.

      OBSERVATIONS

      I am by all descriptions, a gear nut. I like gadgets and try almost everything that comes out when I'm able. I was looking for a smaller and more packable towel, but also one that would cover me so when I walked back and forth from the showers, I wouldn't show off my less-tanned areas. The new military has gone co-ed in combat oriented units after all and I didn't want the opposite sex to run away in shock! I found mine at a military store (PX) and gave it a try. This towel can also be found online too, just check the manufacturer's website for retailer options.

      The towel is large enough that I can use a portion of it as a wash cloth and still have more than enough to dry my entire body afterward. I usually hang it from its convenient snap loop positioned in the corner or drape it over a clothes line or hung from my pack. I have used it to soak up water and it is easily wrung out and dries quickly. I have also used this as a pre-filter to filter out larger debris in water I collected to drink.

      I love the feel of the material this towel is made from because when wet, it doesn't get that wet leathery skin feel often found with chamois or similar products. This is comfortable, soft and well made.

      I have machine washed this as well as given it numerous hand washings and it still looks and performs as new. I can not find anything negative to comment on with this towel and I have not found anything I would want as a replacement if I were to somehow lose this one.

      SUMMARY

      I have found the towel to be well made and of durable material. I like it's large size and convenient accessory pouch and pack-ability. With all of the other uses that I have found for the towel, it will continue to be a permanent part of my gear as it has worked well in every circumstance.

      THINGS I LIKE

      The size of the towel which actually covers me when needed.
      How well this towel soaks up water and the quickness of how it dries after.
      The hanging loop on the towel's corner and hanging accessory bag as well.
      The feel and durability of the material even when wet.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      I have not found anything about this towel that I don't like.

      SIGNATURE

      Mike Mosack www.michaelmosack.com

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

      > PLEASE READ THIS EMAIL IN FULL. IT IS MOST IMPORTANT!
      >
      > Thanks for your Owner's Review. It has been added to the Owner Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get your first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com
      >
      > To assist in this process, if this is your first Owner Review we ask that you post only ONE Owner Review for edit at a time. Our experience is that it is more efficient for both the Editors and
      > yourself, if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews.
      >
      > Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K., the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.
      >
      > You may receive edits or comments from other members of the group. These edits and comments, while not official, should be considered carefully, and if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your review. Incorporating member edits and re-submitting to the list
      > will usually result in a better review, as well as making things easier for the official Editor. Please put REVISED in the subject line of your re-submitted review if you take this route or make any
      > changes to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit Moderator.
      >
      > Additionally, it is important for you to monitor the Yahoo Groups list to keep track of the progress of your Owner Review. Once an Editor has taken your OR and made the necessary edits they will post their comments to the list with EDIT in the subject line. Once you have incorporated these edits into your review please use REPOST in the subject line. When your OR has been approved by the Editor they will use APPROVED in the subject line.
      >
      > If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.
      >
      > If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask via the list or contact me directly.
      >
      > Regards
      > Jamie DeBenedetto
      > Edit Administration Manager

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 11, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 12, 2009
          Hello Michael,

          Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please. You can replace the HTML version also as I will edit from it.

          Ray

          ***MCNETT MICRONET MICROFIBER TOWEL

          EDIT: your title should be the same name as McNett uses.
          MicroNet Ultra-Compact Microfiber Towel (Military Style)

          ***LOCATION: San Diego Ca

          EDIT: you need to spell out the name of the state and add USA for the benefit of our international readers

          ***MSRP: (US) $29.95

          EDIT: where did you get the MSRP? I can't find one on the web site. If it did not come from them please list it as N/A

          Manufacturer's listed weight: None listed
          ***Product actual weight: I weighed the towel alone at 6.3 oz (179g) and then with storage bag at 8.4 oz (238g).

          EDIT: need spaces before the "g" (179 g)

          ***Other details: Dimensions: 30" X 50" (77cm X 128cm) tested product size - large.

          EDIT: need spaces before the "cm"

          ***The following information was taken from manufacturer's website...

          EDIT: Micheal while it is OK to glean information from the manufacturer it is our intent that the review come from you, not McNett. You need to describe the towel in your own words please. Look at some of the towel reviews from veteran testers for an idea of what we are looking for.

          ***I have used this towel in the following locations...

          Comment: Nice, this towel has literally been around the world.

          *** I like it's large size and convenient accessory pouch

          EDIT: I like "its" large size
        • scoutmaster1006
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2009
            I have completed the edits and am reposting my 1st OR. Here is the link http://tinyurl.com/yj5hzpj
            In addition to the other edits, I also removed the MSRP price as I had gotten it from multiple retailers that were linked to from the manufacturer's website, but not from McNett directly as you found out too.
            Thank you for your time
            Mike

            > Hello Michael,
            >
            > Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;
            >
            > EDIT: must be changed
            > Edit: should be changed but will be left to your discretion
            > Comment: just that or something to think about
            >
            > When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please. You can replace the HTML version also as I will edit from it.
            >
            > Ray
            >

            > ***MCNETT MICRONET MICROFIBER TOWEL
            >
            > EDIT: your title should be the same name as McNett uses.
            > MicroNet Ultra-Compact Microfiber Towel (Military Style)
            >

            > ***LOCATION: San Diego Ca
            >
            > EDIT: you need to spell out the name of the state and add USA for the benefit of our international readers
            >

            > ***MSRP: (US) $29.95
            >
            > EDIT: where did you get the MSRP? I can't find one on the web site. If it did not come from them please list it as N/A
            >

            > Manufacturer's listed weight: None listed
            > ***Product actual weight: I weighed the towel alone at 6.3 oz (179g) and then with storage bag at 8.4 oz (238g).
            >
            > EDIT: need spaces before the "g" (179 g)
            >

            > ***Other details: Dimensions: 30" X 50" (77cm X 128cm) tested product size - large.
            >
            > EDIT: need spaces before the "cm"
            >

            > ***The following information was taken from manufacturer's website...
            >
            > EDIT: Micheal while it is OK to glean information from the manufacturer it is our intent that the review come from you, not McNett. You need to describe the towel in your own words please. Look at some of the towel reviews from veteran testers for an idea of what we are looking for.
            >

            > ***I have used this towel in the following locations...
            >
            > Comment: Nice, this towel has literally been around the world.
            >

            > *** I like it's large size and convenient accessory pouch
            >
            > EDIT: I like "its" large size

          • Ray
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 12, 2009
              Much better Mike,

              I have just one more edit for you. I know the title is pretty long right now but it needs "McNett" in it too.

              But with that addition you are done with your first review. You can upload it to:

              Reviews > Personal Hygiene > Towels

              Or: http://tinyurl.com/yzkv52r

              Be sure to click the Owner Review button.

              One down, one to go!

              Ray
            • Mike Mosack
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2009
                Ray,
                The title is just too long for the BGT Writer to accommodate the addition. Can we maybe drop the (Military Style) portion? My title would then be "McNett MicroNet Ultra-Compact Microfiber Towel". If we don't, then the writer program cuts off the end of the title...