OR: Pinnacle 40 pack- Vega D.

  • Darby D
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2009
      REI Pinnacle 40 Pack
      Name: Vega D.
      Age: 30
      Gender: male
      Height: 5'2"( 1.524 m)
      Weight: 150 lbs (68 kg)
      Email address: vegadarling@...
      City, State, Country: Chapel Hill, NC USA
      Date: 09/23/09
      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking 3 years ago. I moved to North Carolina from a congested city of 4 million. North Carolina provides endless opportunity to get outdoors. I bought some gear, grabbed some friends and get out to the trails whenever I can.

      Product information
      Manufacturer: REI
      Year: 2006
      website: rei.com
      Listed weight: 3.5 lbs (1.5kg)
      Actual weight: 3.5 lbs (1.5kg)
      MSRP: $99.50

      Product description:
      Tough pack for the budget conscious hiker. A lot of features for a little dough. HDPE framesheet with two aluminum stays. Twin axe hooks with spike sleeves. Stretchy side pockets. Dual daisy chains and lash points. Over the top compression straps. The shoulder straps and hip belt are curved which makes them more comfortable. Zippered pocket on hip belt. The floating lid is nice and roomy with two compartments. One big main compartment and a small compartment on the underside that has a key clip, great place to store the keys and wallet! Items can be easily accessed from the side zipper or the top. Hydration compatible. This pack does not feature an adjustable torso. I was measured in the store to ensure the proper fit.

      Field information:
      The first test of this pack was a 3 mile hike in, 2 night stay at Stone Mountain State Park in North Carolina. The terrain is rocky and muddy. There are a couple creek crossings and crawling over down logs to deal with. The temperature was in the 80's during the day and in the 50's at night.
      On the first trip the back was loaded at 25 lbs. This was a very comfortable weight. The pack conformed nicely to my body with no discomfort. The pack was easily adjusted at the waist and shoulders. The contoured shoulder straps gave me great ease of movement. Maneuvering over down logs, steep rocky paths and slippery rocks was no problem! The pack provides a stable center of gravity (provided it's packed properly). It feels like a pack should, like it's part of my body. The daisy chain and lash points made attaching my tent pole, sleep pad, water bottle, dog bowl and fire wood a breeze. The detachable lid was great for storing my jacket securely underneath and allowed easy access during the day. This pack easily holds my down sleeping bag, food for 4 days, big agnes seedhouse 3, canister stove, 1.5 liter pot, mug, spork, thermarest, change of clothes, dog bed (my dog has arthritis so she has to have her bed too!), first aid kit, snake bit kit, a couple things for entertainment (cards, checkers, Frisbee), dog food, small down pillow, nylon tarp, trail chair, rope, water filter, etc.
      I've since taken this pack on about 10 different trips and had no issues with stability, discomfort or product malfunctions. Three years later and it's performing like it did on my first trek! I've also used this bag on 2-6 week trips out of town taking a week's worth of clothes, laptop, shoes, toiletries, book, notebook, cell phone and charger, etc. with room to spare!
      Summary
      This is a fantastic product at a great price!