Re: New meber. + For review

  • dskarlsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2009
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "dskarlsen" <dskarlsen@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > The 2'nd generation: 111T Was silent and had a burner with a lot of small holes. This was called Triple fuel, and by changing jets and putting in restrictor tubes you could use kero or white gas or meths. Still this was designed as a kero burner, and is most reliable on white gas, or kerosene.
      >
      > The 3'rd generation: 111C Was a new silent burner, one jet to all fuels. This version has a greater mass, and needs more prehating, and simmers not as good as the others in cold weather. I believe this came to make the production by robots.
      >
      > The 4'th generation: 111+ is made today and has a complete different burner. Aroarer multifuel burner, with a magnetic shakerjet. (The cleaning needle works when shaking the stove, or when using a magnetic tool) This stove is a mix of the old designe, and a burner borrowed from the Optimus Nova. It works on diesel, kerosene, whitegas, or a mix etc. Simmers well, and rares like the first ones.
      >

      > Why put focus on a classic stove?
      >
      > The latest version is still made, and available. The stove is a reliable product, but the prizing is a little bit to high for that heavy stove.
      > Many backpackers in still uses it, and they are available on the internet, unused or used in all versions.
      > Usually an older unused model will cost about 50% of a brand new in the shop.
      > A used one from about 25%.
      > An old stove may be a good investment.
      > You have to decide if you want a roarer (Witch I prefer) or a more silent one.
      > The roarer is either a kerosene or a white gas stove. It is simple, witch makes you abel to do the field maintenance easy.
      > The silent 111T is almost as reliable, and you don't have that noise. By fitting the right jet and eventually a restrictor you have a stove working on different fuels. A little bit more cleaning, but no big job.
      > The silent 111C, don't buy it! You may be happy with this one, but many has problems with preheating, leaking burners, and bad simmering.
      > The 111+ is still made but have to get a good bargain.
      >
      > The Norwegian forces decided around 1998 to get rid of this oldfashion stoves, and started selling out pallets of stoves. During the last 2 years they have started to buy back some of theese, because they cant find anything else they want.
      >
      > For whoom will this stove be the right?
      >
      > If you think you need a rough kerosene stove, this is one to consider.
      > For white gas users, other makes may be a better choice.
      > The weight is high, you don't want to carry that on your back for many days, but at a base camp not far from bike, car, canoe etc it is suitable. I have one in my little cabin. I have one at home in case of power outs.
      > The local scouts uses them because of the reliability
      >
      > This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

      Hi again, I can see I have used the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer wrong, and will make a new one.
    • dskarlsen
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2009
        Now, I beleve it works better. please help mee to improve it.
        dsk

        OPTIMUS 111 K/B/T/C
        BY DAG S KARLSEN
        OR
        June 09, 2009

        TESTER INFORMATION

        NAME: Dag S Karlsen
        EMAIL: dskarlsen@...
        AGE: 46
        LOCATION: Norway
        GENDER: m
        HEIGHT: 6' 4" (1.93 m)
        WEIGHT: 232 lb (105.00 kg)

        I am a family man who likes shorter trips (0-4 days) with tent, stove and possible a canoe. Most trips are one day trips from a base camp or cabin. I do some skiing and snowshoeing during the winter. I have great interests of all kinds of stoves.

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        Manufacturer: Optimus <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "111K">>
        Model: 111
        Year of Manufacture: 1957?
        Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.optimusstoves.com/" LINK TEXT = "Optimus.se">>
        Listed Weight: 3Lbs 6oz (1.53kg)
        Measured Weight: 3Lbs 7oz (1.55kg)
        Other details:
        Tank volume: 1 pint (0.5 liter ) (not measured)
        Max filling 3/4 full.
        Boiling 1liter (1qt) 3-4 minutes.
        Size of box: 6 3/4 x 6 3/4 x 4 1/8 inch (17x17x 10,5 cm)

        Later models may have minor deifferences.

        FIELD USE

        I have used this kind of stove regularly from 1982. Optimus 111 has been the main stove for use in the Norwegian forces from the 1950'ies to about 2000. My first experience was in duty.
        The starting procedure includes preheating and pumping. By experience the procedure in hence of safe use, and to obtain reliability with a minimum of maintenance differs from the makers manual. (described later)
        I have been using this stove on all kinds of trips including very cold. -22deg F (-30 deg C)
        A good reliable performance on kerosene, but I am more comfortable with coleman 550B as a white gas stove. I have used several variants, but prefer the oldest kerosene version with a roarer burner. This one is simple and easiest to maintain.
        The stove are easy to simmer, and you may make a perfect meal on it.

        SUMMARY

        This is a heavy, but reliable kerosene stove. Some versions are made as multifuel or for white gas, these are not impressing compared to other white gas stoves.

        As many other stoves the wind protection cold be much better. This stove are widely used inside tents in the Norwegian army.

        A great stove if you don't have to carry it for a long distance. Perfect for base camp use.

        THINGS I LIKE

        The kerosene version is simpel end easy to handle, no loos parts has a solid box, who acts as a kind of wind protection. Runs well on all grades of kerosene, are easy to simmer.

        THINGS I DON'T LIKE

        The wind protection is not the best, but it works nice indoors, or in a tent, or if you make some protection by just placing the backpack near.

        As white gas stove; I don't feel comfortable with this stove on white gas, many others do.

        The weight is high. The very well protecting box makes the stove weight at least double.

        USE AND MAINT MAINTENANCE BY EXPERINCE

        Unfold the box. Pump 15-20 strokes (More if tank s not full) Pur meths to fill the spirit cup, light. During preheating put on the regulating wheel (If the wheel is put on when pumping hard, you may need to re tighten the pack box more than else) When the flame is almost burned out , open the adjuster to a suitable flame, (Keep a match ready if you should be a little to late) The adjuster may be turned further than max output to clean the jet with the built in cleaning needle. (The flame may go out during cleaning, have a match ready)

        The pump contains a leather cup, who needs a few drops of oil every year.

        With this way of use I have not needed to do any extra maintenance for the 5 last years.

        This stove is the most reliable stove I ever have used. And the reason may be the rough steel box, and no loose parts.

        This is probably Scandinavians most used kerosene stove during all times.

        VERSIONS OF THE STOVE

        Since this one has been sold for decades we may dived it in a few models.
        K (or no letter) is a rorer Kerosene stove.
        B (Bensin= gasoline) is a rorer white gas stove.
        T is a silent burner T is for triple fuel This one may run on white gas, kerosen or alcohol. Just by changing a few parts.
        C for Cobra is a s.k. multifuel, and may run on everything from diesel to white gas.
        + has a burner from the Nova and are the one made today. This is a roarer multifuel, and runs better than the C on the same fuels. No need for changing parts.

        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>This stove has been made for years, and of course it has been different variations.
        The oldest : (like the 1'st picture) has a roarer burner, witch is more resistant to wind than the more silent ones. From the beginning it was made in 2 versions kerosene, and gasoline (heavy leaded fuel). The gasoline model was marked 111B (Bensin = gasoline in Swedish) today I would call it a white gas stove.

        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3">>The 2'nd generation: 111T Was silent and had a burner with a lot of small holes. This was called Triple fuel, and by changing jets and putting in restrictor tubes you could use kero or white gas or meths. Still this was designed as a kero burner, and is most reliable on white gas, or kerosene.

        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4">>The 3'rd generation: 111C Was a new silent burner, one jet to all fuels. This version has a greater mass, and needs more prehating, and simmers not as good as the others in cold weather. I believe this came to make the production by robots.

        <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5">>The 4'th generation: 111+ is made today and has a complete different burner. Aroarer multifuel burner, with a magnetic shakerjet. (The cleaning needle works when shaking the stove, or when using a magnetic tool) This stove is a mix of the old designe, and a burner borrowed from the Optimus Nova. It works on diesel, kerosene, whitegas, or a mix etc. Simmers well, and rares like the first ones.

        SIGNATURE

        Dag S Karlsen
        <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgvx46ww_109nz96s7fp" LINK TEXT = "My homepage">>

        Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.