Initial Owner Reviw - Jereme Shaffer - Timex Expedition Digital Compass Watch

  • coachchemcho
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 14 9:00 PM
      TIMEX DIGITAL COMPASS WATCH
      BY JEREME SHAFFER
      OR
      August 17, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jereme Shaffer
      EMAIL: outdoors@...
      AGE: 39
      LOCATION: Laurel MD, US
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 276 lb (125.00 kg)

      I grew up playing in the woods of WV. Did some light hiking whil stationed in South Korea and have been hiking and camping more regularly for the past three years. I have made overnight backpacking trip doing a 20 mile stretch of the Appalachian trail.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Timex
      Year of Manufacture:
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.timex.com
      MSRP: US$ 60.00
      Listed Weight: 3.2 ounces (91 Grams)
      Measured Weight: 3.3 ounces (94 grams)
      Other details:
      Model number: T77862
      Part Number: T778629J
      Dial window material type: Acrylic
      Clasp: Buckle
      Case material: Resin
      Case diameter: 42 millimeters
      Case Thickness: 13 millimeters
      Band material: Nylon
      Band length: mens-standard
      Band width: 20 millimeters
      Dial color: Silver
      Bezel material: Resin
      Bezel Function: bidirectional
      Calendar: day-date-and-month
      Movement: Digital
      Water resistant depth: 50 Meters
      Warranty Type: seller
      Warranty Description: One-Year Warranty

      FIELD USE

      This watch is my everyday watch as well as my backup compass for my hiking and geocaching trips. I purchased the watch about three years ago and have worn it every day since. The watch was very easy to set up out of the box, calibrate, and get the declination set.

      I normally don't like watch bands that buckle but the band on this watch fit perfectly and was very comfortable. There are two leather rings past the buckle to help keep the excess band from flapping around. The one closest to the buckle is attached and the second one is movable. The band itself is made of nylon with a leather(ette?) border around the edges. After the first few months, the second ring (the movable one) had already broken off. The first band lasted about a year before it fell off. About the same time, the leather edges of the band had started to come off but super glue took care of that for another few months and then it was time to replace the band. I sweat a lot when I hike and I never had an odor or mildew problem with the band.

      The four buttons on the side of the watch are nice and big and easy to use, even with gloves on. I never had a problem with buttons getting pushed when I didnt want them pushed.. The button on the face of the watch that lights the indiglo backlight proved to be a bit of a problem for me. It was hard to push unless I stuck my index finger under the band and provided a solid support behind the watch..

      The face of the watch is easy to see in both bright sunlight and shade. When the indiglo light is on, the watch is very easy to see in the dark. The acrylic face of the watch scratched up rather easily. It is not uncommon for me to take my watch off and put it in my pocket. The bad thing is it is usually the same pocket as my keys and that is what scratched the face of the watch up so easily. The bezel on the watch is easy to turn even with gloves on but it stays in place very well and doesnt turn by accident.

      The compass itself has been very accurate. I always carry a Silvan compass with me when I go hiking and I have compapred it to both that, and my Delorme GPS and the Timex compass has always been accurate and easy to use at the push of a button.

      Overall I have been extremely happy with this watch and would definitely recommend it for both an everyday watch and a useful outdoor tool.

      SUMMARY

      The Timex digital compass watch is a durable, easy to use and handsome watch that can be worn at the office and on the trail. Easy to set up and use, this watch can find a place in every hikers gear selection. A tougher band and a mineral crystal would be the only improvements I would recommend.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Large, easy to use buttons
      Easy to read face
      Accurate Compass

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Easily scratched acrylic crystal
      Weak watch band.

      SIGNATURE

      Jereme Shaffer

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 17 9:39 PM

        Edit Administration Manager
      • daftasabrush3
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 19 5:21 PM
          Hi Jereme,
          Thank you for your owner review and welcome to the group! Your initial edits will follow. Some very helpful information can be found here:
          Please notice the form that the review should take in the 'Examples' section (although you're pretty close to that already). You may also wish to check out some of the more experienced testers' reviews, particularly in the watch section.

          A nice tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). It is entirely up to you, but if you are interested send an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@....

          OK, here are your edits. They will take the following format:
          EDIT - must change
          Edit - suggested change
          Comment - something to think about

          ***EMAIL: outdoors@...
          >>Edit - we normally write it out, so outdoors at whateveritis dot com

          ***LOCATION: Laurel MD, US
          >>EDIT - please spell out Maryland for our non-US testers

          ***I grew up playing in the woods of WV.
          >>EDIT - again, please spell out West Virginia

          ***Did some light hiking whil stationed in South Korea
          >>EDIT - while not whil

          ***I have made overnight backpacking trip doing a 20 mile stretch of the Appalachian trail.
          >>EDIT - this doesn't read well. Perhaps replace made with done? And was it one trip or multiple? It's hard to tell from this sentence.

          ***TESTER INFORMATION
          >>Edit - this section is a good start, but it would be great to have some more information. For example what kind of backpacker are you - do you carry everything including the kitchen sink, or do you shave the handle off your toothbrush to keep weight down? When you are hiking do you like to do 2 miles (with km conversions!) on a flat trail then chill out, or do you like to do 20+ mile hikes climbing every mountain in sight? This information really helps the readers to gauge how their style will compare to yours.

          ***PRODUCT INFORMATION
          >>EDIT - This section is really long and hard to read. We also require a worded Product Description section. I think quite a bit of this would work better in that section.

          The field use section is almost there, so I think we'll work on these edits for now. After you have made them please repost to the list with REPOST added to the subject line.
          Cheers,
          Sophie
        • coachchemcho
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 23 8:20 PM
            TIMEX EXPEDITION DIGITAL COMPASS WATCH
            BY JEREME SHAFFER
            OR
            August 17, 2009

            TESTER INFORMATION

            NAME: Jereme Shaffer
            EMAIL: outdoors at clownthings dot com
            AGE: 39
            LOCATION: Laurel Maryland, US
            GENDER: m
            HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
            WEIGHT: 276 lb (125.00 kg)

            I grew up playing in the woods of West Virginia. I did some light hiking while stationed in South Korea and have been hiking and camping more regularly for the past three years. I have done one overnight backpacking trip, doing a 20 mile stretch of the Appalachian Trail. I prefer to enjoy the area I am hiking in rather than shoot for a set number of miles or elevation gain. My day hikes with my family are usually between 3 and 6 miles (4.8 km and 9.7 km) over slightly hilly and rocky terrain. I generally try to pack light but end up carrying my wife and sons equipment as well.

            PRODUCT INFORMATION

            Manufacturer: Timex
            Year of Manufacture:
            Manufacturer's Website: http://www.timex.com
            MSRP: US$ 60.00
            Listed Weight: 3.2 ounces (91 Grams)
            Measured Weight: 3.3 ounces (94 grams)

            The Timex Expedition Digital Compass Watch includes a digital compass that features bearings based on 16 cardinal points measured in degrees. The watch also allowed me to set declination angle based on geography. The round resin case is brown with a silver bezel marked with compass headings and an interior dial of degree markings. It also has the standard 100-hour chronograph, alarm, English or metric units, and is water resistance to 330 ft (100 m). Timex claims a 4.5-year battery life but mine only lasted about 3 years. The strap mixes water resistant leather and teal polypropylene fabric. The watch can be lit with the Indiglo light by pushing the large button on the face of the watch.

            FIELD USE

            This watch is my everyday watch as well as my backup compass for my hiking and geocaching trips. I purchased the watch about three years ago and have worn it every day since. The watch was very easy to set up out of the box, calibrate, and get the declination set. This watch has been with me in all temperatures, altitudes from 0 to 3500 feet, beaches, mountains and everything in between.

            The Band

            I normally don't like watch bands that buckle but the band on this watch fit perfectly and was very comfortable. There are two leather rings past the buckle to help keep the excess band from flapping around. The one closest to the buckle is attached and the second one is movable. The band itself is made of polypropyline with a leather border around the edges. After the first few months, the second ring (the movable one) had already broken off. The first band lasted about a year before it fell off. About the same time, the leather edges of the band had started to come off but super glue took care of that for another few months and then it was time to replace the band. I sweat a lot when I hike and I never had an odor or mildew problem with the band.

            The Buttons

            The four buttons on the side of the watch are nice and big and easy to use, even with gloves on. I never had a problem with buttons getting pushed when I didnt want them pushed.. The button on the face of the watch that lights the indiglo backlight proved to be a bit of a problem for me. It was hard to push unless I stuck my index finger under the band and provided a solid support behind the watch..

            The Display

            The face of the watch is easy to see in both bright sunlight and shade. When the indiglo light is on, the watch is very easy to see in the dark. The acrylic face of the watch scratched up rather easily. It is not uncommon for me to take my watch off and put it in my pocket. The bad thing is it is usually the same pocket as my keys and that is what scratched the face of the watch up so easily. The bezel on the watch is easy to turn even with gloves on but it stays in place very well and doesnt turn by accident.

            The Compass

            The compass itself has been very accurate. I always carry a Silvan compass with me when I go hiking and I have compapred it to both that, and my Delorme GPS and the Timex compass has always been accurate and easy to use at the push of a button.

            The Summary

            Overall I have been extremely happy with this watch and would definitely recommend it for both an everyday watch and a useful outdoor tool.

            SUMMARY

            The Timex digital compass watch is a durable, easy to use and handsome watch that can be worn at the office and on the trail. Easy to set up and use, this watch can find a place in every hikers gear selection. A tougher band and a mineral crystal would be the only improvements I would recommend.

            THINGS I LIKE

            Large, easy to use buttons
            Easy to read face
            Accurate compass

            THINGS I DON'T LIKE

            Easily scratched acrylic crystal
            Weak watch band

            SPECS

            Other details:
            Model number: T77862
            Part Number: T778629J
            Dial window material type: Acrylic
            Clasp: Buckle
            Case material: Resin
            Case diameter: 42 millimeters
            Case Thickness: 13 millimeters
            Band material: Nylon
            Band length: mens-standard
            Band width: 20 millimeters
            Dial color: Silver
            Bezel material: Resin
            Bezel Function: bidirectional
            Calendar: day-date-and-month
            Movement: Digital
            Water resistant depth: 50 Meters
            Warranty Type: seller
            Warranty Description: One-Year Warranty

            SIGNATURE

            Jereme Shaffer
            The Fat Man Hiketh

            Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
          • sophie_pearson
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2009
              Hi Jereme,
              Great job, this is pretty much there! The next stage is to put it in html format and post it here:
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

              If you haven't found it already, the BGT report writer is a nice tool to help you with that:
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1

              If you have any issues with uploading the html the answer will often be found here, or this is the place to ask for help:

              OK, here are your edits. I know it looks like a few, but they are all pretty minor. They take the following form:

              ****EDIT: Spell out Owner Review

              ****Edit: A comma between Laurel and Maryland would make it clearer for non-US readers that one is the city and one the state.

              ****EDIT: We have a word limit of 100 for the backpacker's bio. I count 112.
              ****Comment: This section is much better!

              ****EDIT: replace sons with son's (or sons'?)

              ****Edit: Please put something in here. You can change it to year of purchase if you don't know the year of manufacture, or put Unknown or N/A.

              ****EDIT: Add title 'Product Description' to this section

              ****Comment: In the product description section it normally reads better to keep it in the passive voice. For example 'The declination angle can also be set based on geography'

              ****Edit: Your experience of the battery life should be later, in the review section.

              ****EDIT: Conversion for 0 and 3500 ft. Although it is difficult, a rough estimate of the number of miles might be nice too...50? 100?

              ****Edit: Please include a heading like 'Review' before this line to help the reader jump between sections.

              ****Edit: I didn't know what you meant here until I looked at a picture on their website. I think a description of the clasp in the product description would really help.

              ****EDIT: Replace 'polypropyline' with 'polypropylene'

              ****EDIT: Delete second period. Also didn't not didnt.

              ****EDIT: Delete second period again.

              ****EDIT: Replace doesnt with doesn't

              > I always carry a Silvan compass with me when I go hiking and I have compapred it to both that,
              Comment: Do you mean Silva Compass?
              EDIT: Replace compapred with compared

              ****EDIT: You have two summary sections. It would be much better to combine these.

              ****EDIT: replace hikers with hiker's.

              ****Comment: I'm sure this is me being dumb, but I don't really know what you mean by a mineral crystal would be an improvement? Do you mean a more scratch-resistant watch face?

              > SPECS
              ****Comment: Are these specs on the website? If they came in the paperwork it would be nice to work them into the product information/description sections (some of this info is already there). If they are on the website somewhere you don't need to repeat them.

              Cheers,
              Sophie
            • coachchemcho
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2009
                Thanks for the edits Sophie. To answre a few of your questions...

                Acrylic crystal is a plastic crystal, mineral crystal is a glass (or crystal) crystal. I also made the changes based on your suggestions.

                Here is the new text and I will upload the HTML.

                TIMEX EXPEDITION DIGITAL COMPASS WATCH
                BY JEREME SHAFFER
                OR
                August 17, 2009

                TESTER INFORMATION

                NAME: Jereme Shaffer
                EMAIL: outdoors at clownthings dot com
                AGE: 39
                LOCATION: Laurel, Maryland, US
                GENDER: m
                HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
                WEIGHT: 276 lb (125.00 kg)

                I grew up playing in the woods of West Virginia and did some light hiking while stationed in South Korea. I've been hiking and camping more regularly for the past three years, doing one overnight trip on a 20 mile (32.2 km) stretch of the Appalachian Trail. I prefer to enjoy the area I'm hiking in rather than shoot for a set number of miles or elevation gain. My day hikes with my family are usually between 3 and 6 miles (4.8 km and 9.7 km) over slightly hilly and rocky terrain. I try to pack light but end up carrying my wife and son's equipment also.

                PRODUCT INFORMATION

                Manufacturer: Timex
                Year of Purchase: 2006
                Manufacturer's Website: http://www.timex.com
                MSRP: US$ 60.00
                Listed Weight: 3.2 ounces (91 Grams)
                Measured Weight: 3.3 ounces (94 grams)

                Product Description

                The Timex Expedition Digital Compass Watch includes a digital compass that features bearings based on 16 cardinal points measured in degrees. The declination angle can also be set based on geography. The round resin case is brown with a silver bezel marked with compass headings and an interior dial of degree markings. It also has the standard 100-hour chronograph, alarm, English or metric units, and is water resistance to 330 ft (100 m). The strap mixes water resistant leather and teal polypropylene fabric. The watch can be lit with the Indiglo light by pushing the large button on the face of the watch.

                FIELD USE

                Usage Summary

                This watch is my everyday watch as well as my backup compass for my hiking and geocaching trips. I purchased the watch about three years ago and have worn it every day since. The watch was very easy to set up out of the box, calibrate, and get the declination set. This watch has been with me in all temperatures, altitudes from 0 to 3500 feet (0 to 1066.8 m), beaches, mountains and everything in between. It has accompanied me on well over 150 miles (241.4 km) of hiking trails. Overall I have been extremely happy with this watch and would definitely recommend it for both an everyday watch and a useful outdoor tool. The Timex digital compass watch is a durable, easy to use and handsome watch that can be worn at the office and on the trail. Easy to set up and use, this watch can find a place in every hiker's gear selection. A tougher band and a mineral crystal would be the only improvements I would recommend.

                Usage Review

                The Watch Band

                I normally don't like watch bands that have a buckle type clasp but the band on this watch fit perfectly and was very comfortable. There are two leather rings past the buckle to help keep the excess band from flapping around. The one closest to the buckle is attached and the second one is movable. The band itself is made of polypropylene with a leather border around the edges. After the first few months, the second ring (the movable one) had already broken off. The first band lasted about a year before it fell off. About the same time, the leather edges of the band had started to come off but super glue took care of that for another few months and then it was time to replace the band. I sweat a lot when I hike but I never had an odor or mildew problem with the band.

                The Buttons

[...]

                The compass itself has been very accurate. I always carry a Silva compass with me when I go hiking and I have compared it to both that, and my Delorme GPS and the Timex compass has always been accurate and easy to use at the push of a button.

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17, 2009
                  Hi Jereme,
                  This is so close! Your edits are below. Please re-upload to the test folder and include a link to the location of the file in your repost here. Although it is not required for your first OR, a picture or 2 really helps the reader, and is good practice for later reports, where it is required.

                  Edits take the following form:
                  EDIT - must change
                  Edit - suggested change
                  Comment - just that
                  Cheers,
                  Sophie

                  ****EDIT: This is still 7 words too long.

                  ****EDIT: Please make this a clickable link in your html file

                  ****EDIT: replace resistance with resistant

                  ****EDIT: This section should be a stand-alone description of your field conditions, as you had it in your previous version. Please put your opinions of the watch back in a summary section at the end.

                  ****Edit: This would stand out better if it was capitalized like the Field Use section

                  > I have compared it to both that, and my Delorme GPS and the Timex compass has always been accurate
                  ****Edit: Your punctuation in this sentence makes it read wrong. The comma would be better after the word GPS instead of the word that.
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2009
                    SOPHIE - Jereme Shaffer(1) - TIMEX DIGITAL COMPASS WATCH - Posted Aug 14(msg#78084), Taken Aug 19, Edit Aug 19(msg#78116), repost Aug 23, Edit Sept 13 (78220), Repost Sept 13, Edit Sep 17(msg#78238), follow up sent Oct 3

                    Hi Jereme,
                    Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Sophie back on Sept 17th. Please refer to message number 78238 at

                    Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can inform your editor and update the queue.

                    Edit Administration Manager