Andrea Murland Please Read - Re: OR - MEC Kelvin 3.8 -

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14, 2009

      Edit Administration Manager
    • Sophie
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2009
        Dear Andrea,
        Great first review, thanks for making my life easy! I have a couple of points for you, mainly just comments, and then the next step is creating an html version. That will go in the Owner Review Test Folder. The folder can be found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page, or here:
        http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

        To create the html file there is a free BGT Report Writer here:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1
        although you are welcome to use another way if you prefer.

        If you have any questions about your upload, please ask them in our Yahoo! support group, BGTFileUploadHelp
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BGTFileUploadHelp/?yguid=209560176
        and let me have a link to the review or at least the name of it once you have it uploaded.

        Here are your edits, taking the following format:
        EDIT - must change
        Edit - suggested change
        Comment - something to think about

        >>The MEC Kelvin 3.8 self-inflating mat is rectangular with rounded corners.
        Comment - It might be nice to have an introductory first sentence, maybe rewording this sentence just to describe what the product is in general terms. That is totally up to you though.

        >>but the self-inflating was excellent.
        EDIT - replace 'self-inflating' with 'self-inflation'

        >>When I reach the valve and have forced all of the air out, I close the valve, unroll the mat, and re-roll it.
        Comment - why do you unroll and re-roll the mat? I was wondering and the readers may too.

        That's it!
        Cheers,
        Sophie
      • ringrat55
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 19, 2009
          Thanks for the edits Sophie! I've made the changes and reworded the Description.
          The HTML is here: http://tinyurl.com/n8lg6p

          Thanks!
          Andrea

          -----
          MEC Kelvin 3.8
          OWNER REVIEW by Andrea Murland
          August 6, 2009

          Tester Information

          Name: Andrea Murland
          Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
          Age: 23
          Location: Rossland, British Columbia, Canada
          Gender: Female
          Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
          Weight: 125 lb (57 kg)

          I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada,
          Australia, and spent 2 months backpacking in the Alps. I spend most weekends
          either day-hiking or on 2-3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I
          can manage them. I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don't have a lot of
          experience with winter in the backcountry yet. Elevation is typically 500-3000
          m (1600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Kootenays or Rockies. I try for a light
          pack, but I don't consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

          Product Information:

          Manufacturer: Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC)
          Manufacturer's URL: www.mec.ca
          Year of Manufacture: 2006
          Model: Kelvin 3.8
          Size: Small, also available in Regular length
          Colour: Deep Sea
          MSRP: CAD $45

          Specified Size: 153 cm x 51 cm x 3.8 cm (60 in x 20.1 in x 1.5 in)
          Measured Size: 150 cm x 53 cm x 3.8 cm (59 in x 20.9 in x 1.5 in)
          Specified Rolled Size: 30 cm x 14 cm (11.8 in x 5.5 in)
          Measured Rolled Size: 28 cm x 13.5 cm (11 in x 5.3 in)
          Specified Weight: 645 g (22.75 oz)
          Measured Weight: 659 g (23.25 oz)

          The MEC Kelvin 3.8 is a self-inflating mat, with CFC-free open-cell foam,
          75-denier 100% polyester ripstop fabric, and an R-value of 2.8 (manufacturer
          specifications). The mat is rectangular with rounded corners, and has a plastic twist
          valve. It comes with a stuff sack and repair kit, which includes 2 small pieces of
          the top-surface material, a large piece of the bottom-surface material,
          adhesive, and instructions in English and French. The repair kit fits into a sleeve
          attached to the stuff sack; the sack has a strap on the bottom for a handle and a
          drawstring closure.

          Field Conditions:

          This sleeping mat was purchased in the spring of 2006 and has been used for
          approximately 100 nights. It has been used for short backpacking trips (2-3
          days) in Western Canada in 2006, in Australia in 2007, almost nightly for 2.5
          months in Europe in 2008, and continues to be used back in Canada most weekends
          for camping or backpacking trips. Elevations have ranged from sea level to over
          3000 m (10,000 ft), and temperatures from -10 C (14 F) to 35 C (95 F). The mat
          has usually been used inside a tent, and the ground surface has usually been
          either grass or gravel.

          Review:

          General Use:
          This mat is a size small, however for my height (5 ft 2 in or 157 cm) it is a
          perfect length; my head and heels both just fit on the mat. Since I usually
          sleep curled on my side in the sleeping bag, I have not had any issues with
          hanging off the end of the mat due to size.

          I have found that the mat stays in place in tents with floors of polyurethane-
          or silicon-coated nylon. There is no indication by the manufacturer that the
          material of the top and bottom of the sleeping pad is different, but the texture
          of the top of the pad is smoother and more slippery than the bottom. On some
          nights when sleeping on a noticeable slope, I have noticed that I slide down the
          mat in my sleeping bag and wake up in a different position than I started in.

          The mat does a good job of insulating me from the ground, using either a
          synthetic 0 C (32 F) rated sleeping bag or a down/synthetic hybrid -12 C (10 F)
          rated bag, which has synthetic fill on the bottom. I generally only feel cold
          from the bottom if I roll off of the mat, so the mat must be keeping me warm!

          The strap/handle on the bottom of the stuff sack is very useful. It is an
          excellent carry point for the mat, as is the drawstring closure. I find the
          strap very convenient when pulling the mat out of the sack; I undo the
          drawstring, hold onto the mat with one hand, and pull the sack off using the
          handle.

          Inflation & Deflation:
          My usual procedure when reaching camp is to set up my tent, unroll my sleeping
          mat (with the valve open) and bag, and then continue with other activities for
          the evening. When the mat was new, it self-inflated by the time I was ready to
          sleep. I would frequently add one or two breaths of air manually through the
          valve since I prefer a firm mat, but the self-inflation was excellent. After 3
          years, the mat no longer self-inflates fully; I have to blow more air into the
          mat before sleeping on it. Needing to manually inflate the mat has not affected
          the insulation properties or the comfort of the mat, it's just a bit
          inconvenient.

          To deflate the mat, I open the valve, fold the mat in half, and begin to roll it
          from the bottom towards the valve. When I reach the valve and have forced all
          of the air out, I close the valve, unroll the mat, and re-roll it, just to make
          sure that it's tightly rolled. The mat then slides comfortably into the stuff sack.

          Storage:
          The manufacturer recommends that the mat be stored unrolled and with the valve
          open. I did not have a storage location where I could do this from 2006-2009,
          so the mat was stored rolled. I now store it as recommended under my bed. I
          don't know if storing the mat incorrectly is related to why the mat doesn't
          inflate as much as it used to.

          Durability & Customer Service:
          This mat has never had any tears or required repair in the field. In summer
          2008, while in Europe, the mat began to lose air overnight. Closing the valve
          more tightly, with considerable force, seemed to fix the problem. In spring
          2009, when the backpacking season started, I noted that even with the valve very
          tightly closed the mat would lose air overnight. The problem seems to be
          getting worse; I have had to manually re-inflate the mat in the middle of the
          night several times. Submersion of the mat in water revealed a slow leak from
          the seal of the fabric around the valve housing. I contacted MEC Customer
          Service, and they recommended that I bring the mat into a store for repair or
          replacement. However, since I live about an 8 hour drive from a retail store,
          they had several other suggestions:
          -use a seam sealer to try to repair the leak
          -if the valve itself is leaking, they will send me a replacement valve kit at no
          cost
          -if neither of those measures work, they asked that I mail them the mat for
          repair or replacement at no cost (except the shipping)
          I will attempt the at-home fixes before mailing the mat for replacement, since
          it is backpacking season and I'm currently using the mat weekly. It is nice to
          know that as a backup the manufacturer will fix or replace the mat, even though
          it is 3 years old and has seen heavy use.

          perfect size for me. Although I have not used the repair kit, it was nice to
          have it in the field just in case. The included stuff sack is convenient and a
          good fit for the mat.

          Pros:
          Comfortable
          Excellent sizing
          Excellent price
          Comes with stuff sack and repair kit

          Cons:
          Sleeping bag slides on top of mat
          Leaking air after 3 years
          No longer fully self-inflates
        • Sophie
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 19, 2009
            The html looks great Andrea! Only one more change and then you are free to upload. In the title, it is good to include what the product actually is so people can tell at first glance. Something along the lines of 'MEC Kelvin 3.8 Sleeping Pad'.

            After that you are free to upload it here:
            http://tiny.cc/9FKho
            and remember to delete the version in the owner review folder.

            Congrats on your first OR!
            Cheers,
            Sophie
          • ringrat55
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 20, 2009
              Done! Thanks so much Sophie! Now for the second one...
              Andrea