OWNER REVIEW - Therm-a-rest LiteSeat

  • Mitchell, Randy
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2009
      Owner Review - Therm-a-rest LiteSeat

      Biographical Information:
      The first time I went on an overnight backpacking trip, I had a small
      Jansport backpack, no water filter, no stove, a blanket, a non-
      inflatable pad and heavy pots and pans. That was three or four years
      ago. Since then, I've upgraded my gear and go out at once or twice a
      month for a night or two, plus day hikes. I live in Ventura County,
      California. The weather is warm and dry for most of the year. It rains
      in the winter, but rarely snows, except for in the mountains. I'm a
      network engineer in my day job.

      Reviewer Information:
      Name: Randy Mitchell
      Age: 34
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 8" (1.52 meters)
      Weight: 174 lbs (79 kilos)
      Email address: maclevin at yahoo dot com
      City: Ojai
      State: California
      Country: USA
      Date: August 9, 2009

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Therm-a-rest (Cascade Designs)
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Listed Weight: 3.5 oz
      Weight as Delivered: 3.5 oz (editor, please note: I'm unsure about the
      weight since I didn't weigh it when I received it last year - should I
      leave this blank?)
      Product Description: 11x15x1.5in (28x38x4cm), compacts to 2.5x6.5in
      (6X17cm)
      Color: "Sunset" bright, highly visible orange on top, grey on the bottom
      R-value: 3.2
      Made in the USA

      Packaging:
      The LiteSeat comes in minimal packaging, and there is no patch kit or
      stuff included.

      Field Information:
      I have tested this pad on wet river rocks, cold stone seating, cold
      bleacher seating and my living room floor. The temperature was never
      below 50 (10 deg Celsius) degrees or above 100 degrees (32 deg
      Celsius) for any test. The elevation of my test environment is around
      3000 feet (910m).

      Operation is simple. Like other self-inflating products, turn the
      valve to the left to let air in, and to the right to seal off the
      opening. Place the grey side down, then place yourself on the top. To
      pack the pad, open the valve, fold it in half and sit on it again;
      once the air is out, close the valve. I found that placing a book
      before you sit on the pad helps squeeze out more air. It can be rolled
      or folded once the air is removed.

      The seat is comfortable, for what it is. There is no back support, but
      it does provide a great barrier between you and a cold or wet or cold
      and wet surface. The foam/air combination gives an interesting
      sensation of sitting on a large bubble, but that can be adjusted by
      letting out more air. The bottom is covered with small grey dots that
      increase the friction of the pad, keeping it from sliding on its
      surface.

      There are a few unexpected qualities of this pad that should be known.
      I've taken it on four or five backpacking trips, and each time, it
      gets borrowed by a fellow backpacker. I get up from my seat to get
      something, come back and someone else is sitting on it. I found that
      it works great as a fan for camp fires. You can use it to add support
      to an ultra light pack, by keeping it inflated. You can fold it in
      half and use it as a pillow. You can strap it to the outside of your
      pack, orange side out, to help advertise that your not a deer when
      hiking in hunting season. It can be used as a soft splint for an
      injury. Finally, it is durable. I've used it several times on surfaces
      ranging from concrete to gravel, wet and dry, and it's no worse for
      wear.

      A comfortable seat, when camping, is well worth the expense and
      negligible weight. Like all good light-weight backpacking gear, it has
      multiple uses and is tough.

      Things I Like:
      1) Light weight
      2) Comfortable
      3) Multiple uses

      Things I don't like:
      1) No back support
      2) No patch kit
      3) No stuff sack
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 12, 2009
        Welcome to BGT Randy.

        Before I can accept your Owner Review you will need to clarify the number of days and/or nights you have used this product. Please add an estimate of how many times you have used it to your report and then repost the REVISED version to the yahoo group.

        I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our edit queue and you will be on your way to getting an official edit.

        Thank you,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Admin Manager
      • Mitchell, Randy

          Date: August 9, 2009

          Product Information:

          Manufacturer: Therm-a-rest (Cascade Designs)
          Year of Manufacture: 2008
          Listed Weight: 3.5 oz
          Weight as Delivered: 3.5 oz (editor, please note: I'm unsure about the
          weight since I didn't weigh it when I received it last year - should I
          leave this blank?)
          Product Description: 11x15x1.5in (28x38x4cm), compacts to 2.5x6.5in
          (6X17cm)
          Color: "Sunset" bright, highly visible orange on top, grey on the bottom
          R-value: 3.2
          Made in the USA

          Packaging:
          The LiteSeat comes in minimal packaging, and there is no patch kit or
          stuff included.

          Field Information:
          Since December of 2008, I have taken this pad on seven over-night
          outings and a few day hikes. I tested this pad on wet river rocks,

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 14, 2009

            Edit Administration Manager
          • Randy Mitchell
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 15, 2009
              Thank you

              On Aug 14, 2009, at 11:45 PM, "Jamie D." <jdeben@...> wrote:

              > PLEASE READ THIS EMAIL IN FULL. IT IS MOST IMPORTANT!
              >
              > Thanks for your Owner's Review. It has been added to the Owner
              > Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you
              > are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
              > Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
              > get your first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely
              > manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days.
              > All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an
              > official edit within fourteen days. If you have not had a response
              > from an Edit Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this
              > timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com
              >
              > To assist in this process, if this is your first Owner Review we ask
              > that you post only ONE Owner Review for edit at a time. Our
              > experience is that it is more efficient for both the Editors and
              > yourself, if you post your first review, have it edited, approved
              > and uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews.
              >
              > Once your first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you have
              > submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
              > applying for Tests. If you'd like more assistance or guidance with
              > the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Jenn K.,
              > the mentor coordinator, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org.
              >
              > You may receive edits or comments from other members of the group.
              > These edits and comments, while not official, should be considered
              > carefully, and if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your
              > review. Incorporating member edits and re-submitting to the list
              > will usually result in a better review, as well as making things
              > easier for the official Editor. Please put REVISED in the subject
              > line of your re-submitted review if you take this route or make any
              > changes to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit
              > Moderator.
              >
              > Additionally, it is important for you to monitor the Yahoo Groups
              > list to keep track of the progress of your Owner Review. Once an
              > Editor has taken your OR and made the necessary edits they will post
              > their comments to the list with EDIT in the subject line. Once you
              > have incorporated these edits into your review please use REPOST in
              > the subject line. When your OR has been approved by the Editor they
              > will use APPROVED in the subject line.
              >
              > If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it's in
              > the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this
              > yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.
              >
              > If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask via
              > the list or contact me directly.
              >
              > Regards
              > Jamie DeBenedetto
              > Edit Administration Manager

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2009
                RICHARD - Randy Mitchell(1) - Therm-a-rest LiteSeat – Posted Aug 9(msg#78047) – waiting for use clarification, Revised Aug 13(78066), Taken Aug 15, Edit Aug 15(78081),

                Hello Randy,
                Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Richard back on Aug. 15. Please refer to message number 78081 at

                Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can inform your editor and update the queue.

                Edit Administration Manager