EDIT - OWNER REVIEW, Rocky AlphaForce Zipper Boots, Zach Wahrer

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
      Hello Zach,

      Welcome to BackpackGearTest and thank you for your Owner Review. Your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

      EDIT: must be changed

      When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

      Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

      A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

      You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;
      http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

      The free BGT Report Writer for HTML creation may be found here;

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1

      support group,

      BGTFileUploadHelp @

      Please let me have a link to the review or at least the name once you have it uploaded.

      Ray

      ***City, State, Country: Dublin, TX, USA

      EDIT: we require the state names to be spelled out (at least the first time) for the benefit of our international readers

      ***Manufacturer: Rocky

      EDIT: it is actually Rocky Brands Inc

      ***Product Description:

      EDIT: While this does give a description it is just the bullet points from the web site. We look for a bit more detailed description on your own words. Remember that when they are choosing testers they look for people that can do a good job making the reader visualize the product. I think that an explanation of the zipper would be very well received as it is something that sets the boot apart from many others.

      Take a look at some of the reviews by our veteran testers for an idea of what I am talking about. I have a few in there.

      *** It has a heavy duty 7” (17.8 cm) zipper on the inner
      side of the boot with a double snap flap that keeps the zipper from
      unzipping while you wear them.

      EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s just "me" and "I". Here is my canned explanation.

      Projection

      "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

      This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

      We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

      "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

      ***As such, my initial use was road and trail marching (of which I did probably close to 75 miles (121 km) with a 60 lb (27 kg) pack over the span of three months.

      EDIT: remove the parenthesis before "of"

      *** My longest trip was 10 mile (16 km) road march

      EDIT: was "a" 10 mile (16 km) road march

      *** I wouldn't want to wear them in sub-zero weather, but I think they would be fine for more temperate conditions.

      EDIT: we try to keep the reviews to what we know about the gear, not what we guess at. If you have a reason to not want to wear them you can explain it.

      (I wore them on a very cold morning and noticed that my feet were cold, so I don't think I want to wear them in sub-zero weather.)

      Something like that works. (If it is true though…)

      *** The one downfall of this boot is the fact that they don't breath well.

      EDIT: breathe

      *** Wool socks seem to help keep the moisture away from your feet a bit better, but its still not ideal.

      EDIT: the "you" thing again, and it is "it's still not ideal"

      ***Doesn't breath as much as I would like

      EDIT: breathe
    • wolfstamme
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
        Ray,

        Thanks for the edit! I'm pretty sure I got everything fixed. The URL for
        the HTML version of this is here
        <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20R\
        ocky%20AlphaForce%20Zipper%20Boots%20-%20Zach%20Wahrer/> .

        Thanks again!
        Zach

        ______________________________________

        Rocky AlphaForce Zipper Boots

        - Biographical Information

        Name: Zach Wahrer
        Age: 25
        Gender: Male
        Height: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
        Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
        Email address: wolfstamme@...
        City, State, Country: Dublin, Texas, USA
        Date: July 25, 2009

        Backpacking Background:
        I have been hiking and camping ever since I was a young child, seriously
        backpacking for over a year and growing increasingly interested in
        mountaineering. I also rock climb. Right now I mostly do three day, two
        night weekend trips with my wife and two dogs for conditioning with a
        bigger climb thrown in every so often. I generally carry a heavy pack
        and seek the steepest terrain possible in order to train for trips to
        big mountains. I have mostly been backpacking in hot weather, but am
        also seeking some cold weather experience.

        - Product Information:

        Manufacturer: Rocky Brands Inc
        Year Purchased: 2007
        Manufacturer's Website: http://www.rockyboots.com
        Manufacturer's Listed Weight: Not listed on website
        Measured Weight: 3.4 lb (1.54 kg) for the pair
        Size tested: 10M
        Widths Available: Medium, Wide
        Sizes Available: Men's 7-11 including 1/2 sizes, 12-14.
        Colors Available: Black
        MSRP: $99.99

        - Product Description:

        These Rocky 8" Zipper AlphaForce Boots are marketed as duty boots and
        are made primarily of black leather, featuring black 1000 Denier Nylon
        in the areas not comprised of leather. They are waterproof and have a
        heavy duty 7" (17.8 cm) zipper on the inner side of the boot with a
        double snap flap that prevents the zipper from unzipping while in use.
        Behind the zipper there is a gusset made of some type of stretchy,
        waterproof material that keeps water from entering the boot, but allows
        the inner side of the boot to be expanded for quicker, easier footwear
        changes. Most of the stitching on the boot is double stitched, with only
        two exceptions: on the inner edge of flap for the laces (which is just a
        hem anyway) and the top edge of the zipper gusset (also just a hem).

        The boots, per side, feature eight shoe-lace eyes and one riveted
        "D" at the ankle. Round laces come with the boots. The sole is
        made of molded EVA with a rubber outsole. It features an aggressive
        tread pattern that is labeled as "Non Marking", "Slip
        Resistant", and "Oil Resistant". The "Rocky" logo is
        placed on the tongue, sole, and heel of the boot. Insoles are made of
        foam and are 1" (2.54 cm) thick at the heel. Boots are marked
        "Made in China".

        - Field Information:

        I originally bought the Rocky AlphaForce boots to use them for training
        in preparation to enlisting in the military, hoping to get something
        close to the boots currently in use by the Army. As such, my initial use
        was road and trail marching of which I did probably close to 75 miles
        (121 km) with a 60 lb (27 kg) pack over the span of three months. My
        longest trip was a 10 mile (16 km) road march (Logan Co., Ohio) with a
        30 lb (13.6 kg) pack on hilly terrain in sunny conditions of about 80
        degrees F (26 degrees C). I also used the boots in cold conditions for a
        6 mile (9.6 km) winter training hike (Old Mans Cave, Ohio) with a 50 lb
        (22.6 kg) pack over hilly, hard pack trails in temperatures around 30
        degrees F (-1 degrees C). Comfort during these uses was excellent, even
        with the quick marching on hard surfaces (roads, hard pack trails,
        etc.).

        After my plan for joining the Army fell through, I became more
        interested in backpacking and mountaineering. I continued using these
        boots for backpacking and general hiking, finding them an excellent
        choice for both. I use them on every climb we take.

        11 miles (17.7 km) on the Lonestar Trail in Sam Houston National Forest,
        mainly flat, well established trail with temperatures in the 70 degree F
        (21 degree C) range with some rain and a 51 lb (23 kg) pack.

        9 miles (14.5 km) over 3 days in Dinosaur Valley State Park, TX, on
        rocky, steep trails with temperatures in the 90 degree F (32 degree C)
        range with a 50 lb (22.7 kg) pack. On this trip we crossed a river a few
        times and the waterproofing kept the water out all the way up to the
        8" (20 cm) mark.

        14 miles (22.5 km) over 3 days at Colorado Bend State Park, TX on rocky,
        steep trails and some off trail hiking through scrub and cactus with
        temperatures in the 90 degree F (32 degree C) range and a 42 lb (19 kg)
        pack. Never got stuck by any of the cactus (prickly pear) plus the
        8" (20cm) height came in nice when not on trail in the form of at
        least some protection from possible snakes and tough plants.

        5 miles (8 k) over 2 days at Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge,
        OK, on steep, rocky trails and also scrambling and bouldering with
        temperatures in the 90 degree F (32 degree C) range and a 42 lb (19 kg)
        pack. We climbed Elk Mountain (2270 ft., 692m) which has approximately
        600 ft (183 m) of vertical gain on a mile (1.6 km) long trail. The boots
        did very well, giving me excellent traction on steep boulders and hills.

        I haven't used the boots extensively in snow, but have walked around in
        a few Ohio winters in them with excellent results. The waterproofing
        kept my feet dry and the tread pattern on the sole seems to work well.
        With a good pair of socks they seem to be decently insulated. I wouldn't
        want to wear them in sub-zero weather, because the times I did wear them
        in the snow, I was just on the edge of comfort with maximum insulation
        and the temperatures were just slightly below freezing.

        - Summary

        Overall, these have been excellent boots for hiking and climbing, even
        though I don't think they were designed with that use in mind. They
        broke in fairly quick, with only minimal blistering (probably more from
        wearing cotton socks than the boots themselves). They have held up very
        well over the two years I have owned them and they seem like they will
        give me many more years of use. They are extremely comfortable on long,
        rocky hikes and the waterproofing allows me to slog through anything
        less than 8" (20 cm) deep without worrying I'm gonna get squishy
        feet. The zipper makes taking them off after a tiring day of hiking a
        quick and easy affair. The one downfall of this boot is the fact that
        they don't breathe well. I don't have excessively sweaty feet, but the
        boots seem to hold in all the moisture. Wool socks seem to help keep the
        moisture away from my feet a bit better, but it's still not ideal. Other
        than that (and it's something I can deal with), they are excellent boots
        for traction, comfort, durability, and style.

        Dislikes:

        Doesn't breathe as much as I would like

        Leather seems to scuff easily (probably just natural to leather)

        Could be cooler for hot summer hiking, warmer for colder winter hiking

        Likes:

        Extremely comfortable

        Durable

        Excellent traction on almost any terrain

        Great Price

        <rayestrella@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > EDIT: was "a" 10 mile (16 km) road march
        >

        > *** I wouldn't want to wear them in sub-zero weather, but I think they
        would be fine for more temperate conditions.

        > EDIT: we try to keep the reviews to what we know about the gear, not
        what we guess at. If you have a reason to not want to wear them you can
        explain it.

        > (I wore them on a very cold morning and noticed that my feet were
        cold, so I don't think I want to wear them in sub-zero weather.)

        > Something like that works. (If it is true though…)
        >

        > *** The one downfall of this boot is the fact that they don't breath
        well.

        > EDIT: breathe
        >

        > *** Wool socks seem to help keep the moisture away from your feet a
        bit better, but its still not ideal.

        > EDIT: the "you" thing again, and it is "it's still not ideal"
        >

        > ***Doesn't breath as much as I would like

      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2009
          Hi Zach,

          I am sorry it took so long to get to this. I just plain missed it. Good job. I just see a couple things but when they are fixed you can put your review in its new home here:

          Reviews > Footwear > Boots > Rocky AlphaForce boots

          Or: http://tinyurl.com/m3wmrp

          Log in to BGT, and then navigate to that folder. Click "Upload File,"
          be sure to select the "Owner Review" button, and follow the
          instructions to upload your HTML file and pictures.

          Thanks for the Owner Review, one down, one to go.

          Ray

          One thing, it is preferred that we round our numbers up or down to the closest whole. Like the 7" (17.8 cm) should be listed as (18 cm).

          ***These Rocky 8" Zipper AlphaForce Boots are marketed as duty boots and are made primarily of black leather, featuring black 1000 Denier Nylon in the areas

          EDIT: 1000 denier nylon (no need for caps as it is not a proper name)

          *** Never got stuck by any of the cactus (prickly pear) plus the 8" (20cm)

          EDIT: need a space after 20
        • Zach
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2009
            Ray,

            Thanks once again for the edit and approval. I made the changes and
            uploaded it. One thing I did see is that it says at the bottom "Read
            more reviews of Rocky Mountain Books gear" with the misspelling being
            "Books". I don't think there is a way for me to change this, so I
            thought I should bring it to your attention.

            I'll begin working on my next OR shortly!

            Thanks!
            Zach