Owner Review of MSR Whisperlite Internationale 600 Stove by Don Taylor

  • anfhiker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2009
      Hello All,

      This is my second OR. I look forward to seeing everyone's comments and
      suggestions.

      Don

      http://tiny.cc/UZwSH <http://tiny.cc/UZwSH>

      MSR WHISPERLITE INTERNATIONALE 600 STOVE
      BY DON TAYLOR
      OR
      July 30, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Don Taylor
      EMAIL: anfhiker AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Youngstown, Ohio USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      For the past 12 years I have been camping/backpacking primarily in Ohio,
      Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Virginia with the Allegheny National
      Forest as the most frequented location. My trips are generally long
      weekends and I try to camp or hike at least once in all 4 seasons with
      the fall being my favorite. My backpacking trips usually consist of 15
      mile days and a group of 2-3 other hikers in forested, moderately hilly
      areas. I consider myself a lightweight, slow and steady hiker. The
      winter hikes often involve heavy snow and freezing temperatures.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: MSR<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Stove With Accessories"
      IMAGE CAPTION = "Stove With Included Accessories">>
      Year of Purchase: 2000
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.msrcorp.com
      <http://www.msrcorp.com> ">>
      MSRP: $89.95 US
      Listed Weight: 11.5 oz (330 g)
      Measured Weight for Stove and Accessories (not including fuel bottle)
      13.9 oz (394 g)
      Measured Weight for Stove Only: 9.8 oz (278 g)
      Stuffed Size: 8 1/2 X 6 1/4 X 4 in (21.6 X 15.9 X 10.2 cm)
      Other details:

      The MSR Whisperlite Internationale 600 Stove is a multi fuel backpacking
      stove that is capable of burning white gas, kerosene, jet fuel, diesel,
      and automobile gas. The stove is not equipped to burn any form of
      leaded fuels. The Whisperlite Internationale 600 comes with a fuel
      bottle pump, storage bag with draw cord, windscreen, heat reflector,
      maintenance tool, a small tube of leather pump cup oil, extra O-Ring
      and a second jet that is used for burning kerosene and jet fuel. The
      necessary fuel bottle must be purchased separately. The fuel bottles
      can be purchased in 11 oz (325 ml), 22 oz (651 ml) and 33 oz (976 ml)
      sizes.

      The stove is fitted with three legs, one stationary and two that fold up
      against the third to conserve space. The three legs also act as the
      cookware supports during use. The legs measure 6 in (15.2 cm) from tip
      to tip at the widest points. In addition to the folding legs, the stove
      is equipped with a flexible fuel line that allows for storage in tight
      spaces such as your cooking pot. The underside of the burner is
      comprised of the jet, needle, generator tube, priming wick and priming
      cup. When the stove is folded up and stored in the included bag it
      measures 8 1/2 X 6 1/4 X 4 in (21.6 X 15.9 X 10.2 cm).

      Pressurizing the fuel bottle is accomplished by pumping the plastic
      plunger on the included pump. Included on the pump is the fuel control
      valve which is marked with a two sided arrow with + or - on each end.
      The upper portion of the pump assembly also includes a pump screen and
      leather pump cup. The bottom portion of the pump contains a fuel pick
      up tube, air tube, fuel bottle O-Ring and check valve assembly.

      Assembling the stove is very simple. First unscrew the fuel bottle cap
      from the fuel bottle and fill the bottle with fuel up to the fill line.
      Then screw the pump into the fuel bottle. Pump the plunger 15-20 times
      and insert the stove's fuel line trough the hole in the heat reflector
      (if you are using it). Next, rotate the two movable legs into there
      slots around the flame reflector. Lubricate the end of the fuel line
      with oil or spit and insert it into the fuel tube bushing on the pump.
      Finally snap the catch arm into the slot on the pump body assembly.

      To light the stove it needs primed first. This step is necessary to
      pre-heat the stove to turn the liquid fuel into vapor by heating up the
      generator tube. To accomplish this, open the control valve until the
      fuel flows through the jet and fills the priming cup 1/2 full. Turn the
      control valve off. Light the priming wick. When the priming flame is
      down to a small flame (30-60 seconds if you did it right), slowly open
      the control valve. You are ready to cook. From time to time you may
      need to pump the bottle a few times to maintain pressure. To turn the
      stove off, simply turn off the control valve. The bottle is
      depressurized by unlocking the catch arm and pulling the fuel line out
      of the pump assembly. Then, away from flames, unscrew the pump to
      release the pressure.

      MSR puts the total burn time at 110 minutes for every 20 oz (600 ml) of
      fuel for white gas and 160 minutes for the same amount of kerosene.
      They list the boil time for 33.8 oz (1 L) of water for each fuel at 3.5
      minutes and 4.4 minutes respectively.

      For transport, the manufacturer recommends either leaving the pump
      assembly in the fuel bottle or unscrew the pump and replace it with the
      fuel bottle cap.

      At the time I purchased the stove it came with a five year limited
      warranty. It reads:

      <i>"Should this product fail during the five year warranty period,
      return it to one of our authorized repair facilities. We will repair or
      replace it at our option, free of charge. Repairs required due to
      improper use or care, negligence, product modification, or accident are
      not covered under this warranty agreement, but will be performed at a
      nominal charge upon request. The warranty only applies to the original
      purchaser. Proof of purchase is required."</i>

      FIELD USE

      <i>Conditions</i>

      For the past 9 years I have used the stove in many different conditions
      and locations. The stove has been operated in temperatures ranging from
      10 F (-12 C) to 80 F (27 C) and elevations ranging from 600 ft (183 m)
      to 5729 ft (1746 m) above sea level. The stove has seen more than a few
      rainy and windy days of use.

      <i>Observations</i>

      At 5729 ft (1746 m) I used the stove for a late afternoon bowl of soup
      on the summit of Mount Rogers in Virginia. The temperature was in the
      40's F (4 C) and it was a windy day on top. This was one of the first
      times I operated the stove and one that I won't forget. I bought the
      stove on the day before the trip without reading the directions as well
      as I should have. I primed the stove and when I lit the white gas it
      went up way beyond the size of a normal priming flame catching every
      piece of grass and wood around on fire. My hiking partner, fearing the
      fuel bottle exploding, reached over and tossed the entire unit like a
      grenade out of the area where we were sitting. As this was probably the
      worst thing he could have done, the fiery mess grew and took more than a
      few of our water bottles to put out. Even after being tossed, the
      stove, pump and fuel bottle worked great after being re-primed. Still
      to this day, priming the stove can be difficult, especially in low light
      conditions. Getting the priming cup filled up only half way can be
      difficult as it seems that how much fuel initially comes out depends on
      how pressurized the fuel bottle is. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT =
      "Stove with Wind Screen" IMAGE CAPTION = "Stove With Heat Reflector and
      Windscreen">>

      During a trip to the northern region of the Allegheny National Forest,
      we camped and cooked in temperatures of 10 F (-12 C). The stove
      performed great, even in the morning after sitting in the cold and snow
      all night. It lit without issue even while a hiking partner was having
      a lot of trouble getting his propane canister powered stove lit due to
      the freezing cold.

      I have used the included windscreen and heat reflector only once to try
      it out. I have operated the stove in what I would consider moderately
      windy conditions without the windscreen and without problems. Once the
      stove is lit, it has operated flawlessly even in moderate rain showers.

      The stove cools very quickly after use which makes it very useful for a
      quick cup of coffee or soup during a break. I have found that I can
      boil water and then pack the stove away 5 minutes after I shut it down.
      To pack it up for the trail, I keep the stove in the included bag along
      with the spare parts, windscreen, heat reflector, instructions and
      lighter. The bag with the stove in it fits perfectly in my 54 oz (1.6
      L) cooking pot. I keep the pumping assembly in the fuel bottle while
      hiking and I have not experienced any issues with it.

      The stove does get a build up of soot on it rather quickly. I have
      burned white gas and jet fuel (I work at an airport and had to give it
      try) and I found that the jet fuel left significantly more soot behind
      and I did not notice any significant difference in performance.

      For boiling time verification, I timed the stove with 33.8 oz (1 L) of
      water in a pot during a 74 F (23.3 C) day at 1196 f (365 m) elevation
      and found that it took 4 minutes to bring the water to a rolling boil
      which is only 30 seconds longer than the manufacturer states in the
      instructions. In the field I have found the boiling time to be very
      adequate. Simmering on the other hand can be very difficult. There is
      a very fine line between simmer and off and it changes depending on the
      amount of pressure in the fuel bottle. I have found that the best way
      to simmer is to leave the pressure in the bottle low however this can be
      difficult in a boil-then-simmer cooking operation.

      Through all the use, I have never had to break the stove down to
      disassemble and clean it. For the purpose of this review, I
      disassembled the stove, cleaned it and put it back together in less than
      25 minutes. This included several interruptions from my wife wondering
      what the heck I was doing on her living room floor. The included
      directions are very easy to read and follow.

      I have yet to run out of fuel on a trip. On one of my longer and higher
      use trips during the winter, I used the stove twice a day to boil water
      for coffee and for soups/noodles for 5 days. I have the 22 oz (651 ml)
      bottle and I remember it being 1/4 full at the end of the trip. I was
      not conserving fuel by any means and I let a few hiking buddies use it
      for coffee on more than one occasion. I have read that the user should
      plan on 4 oz (118 ml) of fuel per day for 2 times a day use. From my
      experience this would be sufficient.

      SUMMARY

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Over Prime" IMAGE CAPTION = "A Little
      Extra Primer">>Overall I have found the stove very easy to setup, use,
      tear down and clean. Priming and simmering can be tricky, even after
      learning from frequent uses, but neither is a major issue. I would
      definitely recommend that the stove not be used in the vestibule of a
      tent, even when it is very tempting in the dark and cold of a winter
      morning.

      In low light conditions, seeing the + and - signs on the fuel control
      knob can be very difficult. I would recommend that a bright dot be
      placed on one side for easy recognition.

      In the field I have found that the stove boils very effectively under
      all conditions that I have experienced. I have yet to need the
      windscreen or heat reflector to make the stove operate effectively.
      Even during moderate rains, the stove has performed without issue.

      As quickly as the stove heats up, it cools down which allows for a quick
      pack up and go. The included bag is the perfect size for storing the
      stove without having to pack it in too tightly or bend the fuel line too
      far. The stove folds up and packs very fast and easy. The design of
      the pump assembly allows it to remain in the fuel bottle during hiking
      without causing any major issues. I still would not store it inside my
      pack however. I keep mine in an outside pocket.

      I would rate the stove's temperature control as average. The fuel
      control does not have what I would call precision control especially at
      the low end. I have found that by keeping the pressure in the bottle
      high by pumping it from time to time during cooking, I have been able to
      control the temperature much more effectively except for very low
      simmering where I have found that keeping the bottle pressure low works
      best.

      I do not get into really fancy cooking while on the trail. I find that
      I primarily use the stove to boil then simmer for a bit while stirring
      in spices or cheese for the noodles. This stove has met those needs.
      Through 9 years of use, the stove has operated maintenance free through
      a wide range of temperatures and weather conditions.

      THINGS I LIKE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Storage of Stove" IMAGE CAPTION = "Fits
      Easily Into My Cooking Pot">>Quick Boil Time
      Easy to Store and Pack
      Easy to Break Down, Clean and Reassemble
      No Maintenance over the Past 9 Years of Use
      Quick Cool Down Time
      Quick Set Up Time

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Priming Can be Tricky
      Simmering Can be Difficult
      + And - Symbols on the Fuel Control Knob are Hard to See, Especially in
      Low Light.

      SIGNATURE

      Don Taylor

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2009
          Hello Don,

          Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please. Put a corrected HTML version in the test folder too.

          I am going to be gone hiking over the weekend, so don't be irked if you jump right on this and I do not respond. Normally I am fairly quick.

          This is a nice job on your second review. I too had one of these stoves for many years.

          Ray

          *** My backpacking trips usually consist of 15 mile days

          EDIT: you need the metric conversion too

          ***Manufacturer: MSR

          EDIT: you need the full name at least once, Mountain Safety Research (MSR)

          ***MSRP: $89.95 US

          EDIT: A MSR does not list their prices this should be N/A

          ***Listed Weight: 11.5 oz (330 g)
          ***Measured Weight for Stove and Accessories (not including fuel bottle) 13.9 oz (394 g)

          EDIT: the listed weight is stove only, they have another weight complete, you should include both and label as such to go along with both your weights.

          ***The MSR Whisperlite Internationale 600 Stove

          EDIT: the correct spelling is as MSR has it, "WhisperLite". Please correct all instances of this.

          Also, where does the "600" come from? Mine was an old one (1993) and did not have the number. Was this something between then and now?

          *** In addition to the folding legs, the stove is equipped with a flexible fuel line that allows for storage in tight spaces such as your cooking pot.

          EDIT: we try to avoid the use of words like "you" and "your" to avoid projection. Keep the review in the first person by saying "my cookpot".

          *** Pump the plunger 15-20 times and insert the stove's fuel line trough the hole in the heat reflector

          EDIT: "through" the hole

          *** Next, rotate the two movable legs into there slots around the flame reflector.

          EDIT: into "their" slots

          ***To light the stove it needs primed first.

          EDIT: it needs "to" be primed first

          *** When the priming flame is down to a small flame (30-60 seconds if you did it right), slowly open the control valve. You are ready to cook. From time to time you may need to pump the bottle a few times to maintain pressure.

          EDIT: lots of "you"s here…
          Remember the Toby Keith song "I Wanna talk about Me"? Now make it "I'm Gonna Write about Me"

          I'm gonna write about me
          gonna write about I
          gonna write about number one
          Oh my me my
          What I think, where I hike, what I know, what I use, what I see
          I know it's natural saying, you you you you, usually, but at BGT,
          I'm gonna write about meeeeee
          Yeah, only write about me

          Copyright Rayby Keith…

          ***At the time I purchased the stove it came with a five year limited warranty. It reads:

          Edit: since the warranty is long expired it is not useful to have this here. In fact I used to put warranty info in all my reviews and was told by Jerry (the man) that it is not really necessary, nor desired. So now I don't.

          ***I have burned white gas and jet fuel (I work at an airport and had to give it try)

          Comment: all us red-blooded guys salute you. (Some with burn scars I am sure…)