REVISED - OWNER REVIEW, Rocky 8” AlphaForce Zipper Boots, Zach Wahrer

  • Zach
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2009
      A revision to fix some of my measurement grammar errors.

      Rocky 8” AlphaForce Zipper Boots

      - Biographical Information

      Name: Zach Wahrer
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 10” (1.78 m)
      Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
      Email address: wolfstamme@...
      City, State, Country: Dublin, TX, USA
      Date: July 25, 2009

      Backpacking Background:
      I have been hiking and camping ever since I was a young child, seriously
      backpacking for over a year and growing increasingly interested in
      mountaineering. I also rock climb. Right now I mostly do three day, two
      night weekend trips with my wife and two dogs for conditioning with a
      bigger climb thrown in every so often. I generally carry a heavy pack
      and seek the steepest terrain possible in order to train for trips to
      big mountains. I have mostly been backpacking in hot weather, but am
      also seeking some cold weather experience.

      - Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Rocky
      Year Purchased: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.rockyboots.com
      Manufacturer's Listed Weight: Not listed on website
      Measured Weight: 3.4 lb (1.54 kg) for the pair
      Size tested: 10M
      Widths Available: Medium, Wide
      Sizes Available: Men's 7-11 including 1/2 sizes, 12-14.
      Colors Available: Black
      MSRP: $99.99

      - Product Description:

      Men's waterproof Rocky 8" Zipper AlphaForce Boots, made in China.
      Full-grain leather and lightweight 1,000-denier nylon combination
      uppers; Oil and slip resistant RigiTrac, non-marking outsole; Terra
      Suspension footbed. It has a heavy duty 7” (17.8 cm) zipper on the inner
      side of the boot with a double snap flap that keeps the zipper from
      unzipping while you wear them.

      - Field Information:

      I originally bought the Rocky AlphaForce boots to use them for training
      in preparation to enlisting in the military, hoping to get something
      close to the boots currently in use by the Army. As such, my initial use
      was road and trail marching (of which I did probably close to 75 miles
      (121 km) with a 60 lb (27 kg) pack over the span of three months. My
      longest trip was 10 mile (16 km) road march (Logan Co., Ohio) with a 30
      lb (13.6 kg) pack on hilly terrain in sunny conditions of about 80
      degrees F (26 degrees C). I also used the boots in cold conditions for a
      6 mile (9.6 km) winter training hike (Old Mans Cave, Ohio) with a 50 lb
      (22.6 kg) pack over hilly, hard pack trails in temperatures around 30
      degrees F (-1 degrees C). Comfort during these uses was excellent, even
      with the quick marching on hard surfaces (roads, hard pack trails,
      etc.).

      After my plan for joining the Army fell through, I became more
      interested in backpacking and mountaineering. I continued using these
      boots for backpacking and general hiking, finding them an excellent
      choice for both. I use them on every climb we take.

      11 miles (17.7 km) on the Lonestar Trail in Sam Houston National Forest,
      mainly flat, well established trail with temperatures in the 70 degree F
      (21 degree C) range with some rain and a 51 lb (23 kg) pack.

      9 miles (14.5 km) over 3 days in Dinosaur Valley State Park, TX, on
      rocky, steep trails with temperatures in the 90 degree F (32 degree C)
      range with a 50 lb (22.7 kg) pack. On this trip we crossed a river a few
      times and the waterproofing kept the water out all the way up to the
      8” (20 cm) mark.

      14 miles (22.5 km) over 3 days at Colorado Bend State Park, TX on rocky,
      steep trails and some off trail hiking through scrub and cactus with
      temperatures in the 90 degree F (32 degree C) range and a 42 lb (19 kg)
      pack. Never got stuck by any of the cactus (prickly pear) plus the
      8” (20cm) height came in nice when not on trail in the form of at least
      some protection from possible snakes and tough plants.

      5 miles (8 k) over 2 days at Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge,
      OK, on steep, rocky trails and also scrambling and bouldering with
      temperatures in the 90 degree F (32 degree C) range and a 42 lb (19 kg)
      pack. We climbed Elk Mountain (2270 ft., 692m) which has approximately
      600 ft (183 m) of vertical gain on a mile (1.6 km) long trail. The boots
      did very well, giving me excellent traction on steep boulders and hills.

      I haven't used the boots extensively in snow, but have walked around in
      a few Ohio winters in them with excellent results. The waterproofing
      kept my feet dry and the tread pattern on the sole seems to work well.
      With a good pair of socks they seem to be decently insulated. I wouldn't
      want to wear them in sub-zero weather, but I think they would be fine
      for more temperate conditions.

      - Summary

      Overall, these have been excellent boots for hiking and climbing, even
      though I don't think they were designed with that use in mind. They
      broke in fairly quick, with only minimal blistering (probably more from
      wearing cotton socks than the boots themselves). They have held up very
      well over the two years I have owned them and they seem like they will
      give me many more years of use. They are extremely comfortable on long,
      rocky hikes and the waterproofing allows me to slog through anything
      less than 8” (20 cm) deep without worrying I'm gonna get squishy feet.
      The zipper makes taking them off after a tiring day of hiking a quick
      and easy affair. The one downfall of this boot is the fact that they
      don't breath well. I don't have excessively sweaty feet, but the boots
      seem to hold in all the moisture. Wool socks seem to help keep the
      moisture away from your feet a bit better, but its still not ideal.
      Other than that (and it's something I can deal with), they are excellent
      boots for traction, comfort, durability, and style.

      Dislikes:

      Doesn't breath as much as I would like

      Leather seems to scuff easily (probably just natural to leather)

      Could be cooler for hot summer hiking, warmer for colder winter hiking

      Likes:

      Extremely comfortable

      Durable

      Excellent traction on almost any terrain

      Great Price
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
        Hello Zach,

        Welcome to BackpackGearTest and thank you for your Owner Review. Your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

        EDIT: must be changed

        When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

        Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

        A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

        You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;
        http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

        The free BGT Report Writer for HTML creation may be found here;

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1

        support group,

        BGTFileUploadHelp @

        Please let me have a link to the review or at least the name once you have it uploaded.

        Ray

        ***City, State, Country: Dublin, TX, USA

        EDIT: we require the state names to be spelled out (at least the first time) for the benefit of our international readers

        ***Manufacturer: Rocky

        EDIT: it is actually Rocky Brands Inc

        ***Product Description:

        EDIT: While this does give a description it is just the bullet points from the web site. We look for a bit more detailed description on your own words. Remember that when they are choosing testers they look for people that can do a good job making the reader visualize the product. I think that an explanation of the zipper would be very well received as it is something that sets the boot apart from many others.

        Take a look at some of the reviews by our veteran testers for an idea of what I am talking about. I have a few in there.

        *** It has a heavy duty 7” (17.8 cm) zipper on the inner
        side of the boot with a double snap flap that keeps the zipper from
        unzipping while you wear them.

        EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s just "me" and "I". Here is my canned explanation.

        Projection

        "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

        This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

        We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

        "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

        ***As such, my initial use was road and trail marching (of which I did probably close to 75 miles (121 km) with a 60 lb (27 kg) pack over the span of three months.

        EDIT: remove the parenthesis before "of"

        *** My longest trip was 10 mile (16 km) road march

        EDIT: was "a" 10 mile (16 km) road march

        *** I wouldn't want to wear them in sub-zero weather, but I think they would be fine for more temperate conditions.

        EDIT: we try to keep the reviews to what we know about the gear, not what we guess at. If you have a reason to not want to wear them you can explain it.

        (I wore them on a very cold morning and noticed that my feet were cold, so I don't think I want to wear them in sub-zero weather.)

        Something like that works. (If it is true though…)

        *** The one downfall of this boot is the fact that they don't breath well.

        EDIT: breathe

        *** Wool socks seem to help keep the moisture away from your feet a bit better, but its still not ideal.

        EDIT: the "you" thing again, and it is "it's still not ideal"

        ***Doesn't breath as much as I would like

        EDIT: breathe
      • wolfstamme
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
          Ray,

          Thanks for the edit! I'm pretty sure I got everything fixed. The URL for
          the HTML version of this is here
          <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20R\
          ocky%20AlphaForce%20Zipper%20Boots%20-%20Zach%20Wahrer/> .

          Thanks again!
          Zach

          ______________________________________

          Rocky AlphaForce Zipper Boots

          - Biographical Information

          Name: Zach Wahrer
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Height: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
          Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
          Email address: wolfstamme@...
          City, State, Country: Dublin, Texas, USA
          Date: July 25, 2009

          Backpacking Background:
          I have been hiking and camping ever since I was a young child, seriously
          backpacking for over a year and growing increasingly interested in
          mountaineering. I also rock climb. Right now I mostly do three day, two
          night weekend trips with my wife and two dogs for conditioning with a
          bigger climb thrown in every so often. I generally carry a heavy pack
          and seek the steepest terrain possible in order to train for trips to
          big mountains. I have mostly been backpacking in hot weather, but am
          also seeking some cold weather experience.

          - Product Information:

          Manufacturer: Rocky Brands Inc
          Year Purchased: 2007
          Manufacturer's Website: http://www.rockyboots.com
          Manufacturer's Listed Weight: Not listed on website
          Measured Weight: 3.4 lb (1.54 kg) for the pair
          Size tested: 10M
          Widths Available: Medium, Wide
          Sizes Available: Men's 7-11 including 1/2 sizes, 12-14.
          Colors Available: Black
          MSRP: $99.99

          - Product Description:

          These Rocky 8" Zipper AlphaForce Boots are marketed as duty boots and
          are made primarily of black leather, featuring black 1000 Denier Nylon
          in the areas not comprised of leather. They are waterproof and have a
          heavy duty 7" (17.8 cm) zipper on the inner side of the boot with a
          double snap flap that prevents the zipper from unzipping while in use.
          Behind the zipper there is a gusset made of some type of stretchy,
          waterproof material that keeps water from entering the boot, but allows
          the inner side of the boot to be expanded for quicker, easier footwear
          changes. Most of the stitching on the boot is double stitched, with only
          two exceptions: on the inner edge of flap for the laces (which is just a
          hem anyway) and the top edge of the zipper gusset (also just a hem).

          The boots, per side, feature eight shoe-lace eyes and one riveted
          "D" at the ankle. Round laces come with the boots. The sole is
          made of molded EVA with a rubber outsole. It features an aggressive
          tread pattern that is labeled as "Non Marking", "Slip
          Resistant", and "Oil Resistant". The "Rocky" logo is
          placed on the tongue, sole, and heel of the boot. Insoles are made of
          foam and are 1" (2.54 cm) thick at the heel. Boots are marked
          "Made in China".

          - Field Information:

          I originally bought the Rocky AlphaForce boots to use them for training
          in preparation to enlisting in the military, hoping to get something
          close to the boots currently in use by the Army. As such, my initial use
          was road and trail marching of which I did probably close to 75 miles
          (121 km) with a 60 lb (27 kg) pack over the span of three months. My
          longest trip was a 10 mile (16 km) road march (Logan Co., Ohio) with a
[...]

          want to wear them in sub-zero weather, because the times I did wear them
          in the snow, I was just on the edge of comfort with maximum insulation
          and the temperatures were just slightly below freezing.

          - Summary

          Overall, these have been excellent boots for hiking and climbing, even
          though I don't think they were designed with that use in mind. They
          broke in fairly quick, with only minimal blistering (probably more from
          wearing cotton socks than the boots themselves). They have held up very
          well over the two years I have owned them and they seem like they will
          give me many more years of use. They are extremely comfortable on long,
          rocky hikes and the waterproofing allows me to slog through anything
          less than 8" (20 cm) deep without worrying I'm gonna get squishy
          feet. The zipper makes taking them off after a tiring day of hiking a
          quick and easy affair. The one downfall of this boot is the fact that
          they don't breathe well. I don't have excessively sweaty feet, but the
          boots seem to hold in all the moisture. Wool socks seem to help keep the
          moisture away from my feet a bit better, but it's still not ideal. Other
          than that (and it's something I can deal with), they are excellent boots
          for traction, comfort, durability, and style.

          Dislikes:

          Doesn't breathe as much as I would like

          <rayestrella@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > EDIT: was "a" 10 mile (16 km) road march
          >

          > *** I wouldn't want to wear them in sub-zero weather, but I think they
          would be fine for more temperate conditions.

          > EDIT: we try to keep the reviews to what we know about the gear, not
          what we guess at. If you have a reason to not want to wear them you can
          explain it.

          > (I wore them on a very cold morning and noticed that my feet were
          cold, so I don't think I want to wear them in sub-zero weather.)

          > Something like that works. (If it is true though…)
          >

          > *** The one downfall of this boot is the fact that they don't breath
          well.

          > EDIT: breathe
          >

          > *** Wool socks seem to help keep the moisture away from your feet a
          bit better, but its still not ideal.

          > EDIT: the "you" thing again, and it is "it's still not ideal"
          >

          > ***Doesn't breath as much as I would like

        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 18, 2009
            Hi Zach,

            I am sorry it took so long to get to this. I just plain missed it. Good job. I just see a couple things but when they are fixed you can put your review in its new home here:

            Reviews > Footwear > Boots > Rocky AlphaForce boots

            Or: http://tinyurl.com/m3wmrp

            Log in to BGT, and then navigate to that folder. Click "Upload File,"
            be sure to select the "Owner Review" button, and follow the
            instructions to upload your HTML file and pictures.

            Thanks for the Owner Review, one down, one to go.

            Ray

            One thing, it is preferred that we round our numbers up or down to the closest whole. Like the 7" (17.8 cm) should be listed as (18 cm).

            ***These Rocky 8" Zipper AlphaForce Boots are marketed as duty boots and are made primarily of black leather, featuring black 1000 Denier Nylon in the areas

            EDIT: 1000 denier nylon (no need for caps as it is not a proper name)

            *** Never got stuck by any of the cactus (prickly pear) plus the 8" (20cm)

            EDIT: need a space after 20
          • Zach
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 19, 2009
              Ray,

              Thanks once again for the edit and approval. I made the changes and
              uploaded it. One thing I did see is that it says at the bottom "Read
              more reviews of Rocky Mountain Books gear" with the misspelling being
              "Books". I don't think there is a way for me to change this, so I
              thought I should bring it to your attention.

              I'll begin working on my next OR shortly!

              Thanks!
              Zach