Snow Peak GigaPower WG Stove

  • Ron Martino
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2002
      Snow Peak GigaPower WG Stove

      INTRODUCTION

      The GigaPower WG is Snow Peak's introductory entry into the field of
      white gas stoves. Boasting high heat output, lightweight components, and
      quiet operation, the GigaPower WG is intended to be the new standard
      against which other white gas stoves will be measured; but it's ability
      to reduce its flame down to almost nothing is what sets it apart from
      it's closest current competitors in the lightweight field. Already
      Backpacker Magazine has selected it as a recipient of its 2001 Editor's
      Choice Award. Does the GigaPower WG truly live up to its promise?

      STOVE FACTS

      The GigaPower WG includes a 520 ml fuel bottle, repair kit, fuel gauge,
      and two stuff sacks, and incorporates a wind screen in the burner unit.
      No priming is necessary except in The stove's output is 10,000 BTU.
      While the stove is not intended to be used with a variety of fuels, Snow
      Peak notes that regular unleaded gasoline may be used for short periods,
      but results in poor performance. The GigaPower WG stove retails for
      $149.95.

      Specification Snow Peak Measured Values
      Dimensions of stove - Open 4"w x 4-1/4"d x 4"h 4"w x 4-3/4"d x 3-7/8"h
      Dimensions of stove - Stowed 2-1/2"w x 3-1/2"d x 4"h 2-3/4"w x 3-1/2"d x 3-7/8"h
      Weight - assembled stove
      (stove, hose, pump) 12.5 oz. 12.8 oz.
      Stove alone 8.25 oz. 8.5 oz.
      Weight - fuel bottle 4.75 oz. 5.2 oz.
      Weight - miscellaneous items
      (repair kit, fuel
      gauge, stuff sacks) ~~~~~~~ 2.5 oz.

      PERFORMANCE REVIEW

      The GigaPower WG includes detailed instructions, and numerous warnings
      (four stickers total) that "This stove... requires a completely different
      procedure for lighting." Despite this, I have found the process not
      unsimilar to that of certain other stoves on the market. In testing, the
      stove lights quickly and with little effort. Initially I had a small
      amount of difficulty with yellow flames upon lighting, but increasing the
      pressure in the fuel bottle solved that problem. Adjusting from 'High' to
      simmer is easy to do. The lowest setting of the flame control does indeed
      qualify as 'simmer', yet it is not possible to accidentally shut off the
      flame entirely. While not silent, at full output the noise volume is
      minimal. At simmer temperatures, the stove cannot be heard at all.

      Measurements - weights were made using a postal scale, and confirmed with
      my personal digital scale. Dimensions were rounded up to the next highest
      1/8th inch. For stowed dimensions, the flame control lever was included,
      since its presence affects space requirements. It was not included in the
      'open' measurements.

      Boil time for one liter of water at 68° F (20° C) in a covered pot was 4
      minutes, 15 seconds (elevation 3200'). This time was based on when steam
      was first observed, a common means of recognizing that the water is
      boiling. Lighting the stove in cold temperatures ( around 10° F (-12° C)
      was not possible without priming, but with priming it lit easily.

      The GigaPower WG is quite stable in normal use. Even at full output
      flames remain directed at the bottom of the 1-1/2 liter pot used for
      testing, without licking up the sides. The pot supports are sufficiently
      close together to allow small items, such as a single cup espresso maker
      to be carefully balanced, without additional support rings. The built-in
      windscreen eliminates the need to fiddle with a separate item on windy
      days.

      As a side note - I received reports that one retailer found problems with
      the hose connections. In my use, the threaded joint was quite solid. I
      have had no concerns regarding its strength.

      CONCLUSIONS & RECOMMENDATIONS

      With a weight competitive with the lightest white gas stoves on the
      market, and the ability to simmer, the GigaPower is indeed worthy of
      consideration by those seeking the perfect stove. Unfortunately the
      suggested retail price is quite high compared with other similar stoves.
      The expense is mitigated somewhat by the inclusion of a fuel bottle and
      repair kit, but even so the GigaPower is significantly more. Ease of use
      is a consideration, however. I find the stove to be extremely simple to
      use, even under difficult conditions, and its size allows packing the
      stove, all of its components, and fuel bottles sufficient for a week's
      use in a single outside pocket.

      I would recommend for the Snow Peak GigaPower WG stove to anyone whose
      primary concern is not price.

      CONTACT INFORMATION

      Snow Peak U.S.A., Inc. Snow Peak, Inc.
      4754 Avery Lane 958,Sanganji
      Lake Oswego, OR 97035 Sanjo-City, Niigata 955-8616
      USA Japan
      phone: 503-697-3330 phone: 0256-38-1110
      fax: 503-699-1396 fax: 0256-38-1015
      e-mail: info@... e-mail: miyajima@...

      REVIEWER INFORMATION

      I am a 40 year old student in computer science, living in Missoula,
      Montana. My earliest backpacking and hiking trips started with the Boy
      Scouts; then I began regular outings 20+ years ago, with my school
      backpacking club. Over time I have covered sections of the Appalachian
      Trail, the Continental Divide Trail, & the Pacific Northwest Trail; and
      have taken numerous trips in the Northeast, Midwest, northern Rockies,
      desert Southwest, and the Pacific Northwest. My usual backpacking areas
      these days are in western Montana, including Glacier NP. Trip lengths
      vary from overnights to multi-week expeditions. Some of my other outdoors
      activities have included cross-country skiing, orienteering, canoeing,
      kayaking, rafting, horseback riding.

      Ron Martino

      --

      yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
    • David Anderson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 31, 2002
        Ron,

        Great report! I'm not ready to give up my ultra expensive coke can alcohol
        stoves just yet, but the white gas stoves are starting to look a whole lot
        better than the bombs I used to use.

        Just one nit to pick, see below.

        Ron Martino writes:

        >STOVE FACTS
        >
        > The GigaPower WG includes a 520 ml fuel bottle, repair kit, fuel gauge,
        > and two stuff sacks, and incorporates a wind screen in the burner unit.
        > No priming is necessary except in The stove's output is 10,000 BTU.

        Something is missing ^^^^^^

        Dave
      • Ron Martino
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2002
          > Great report! I'm not ready to give up my ultra expensive coke can alcohol
          > stoves just yet, but the white gas stoves are starting to look a whole lot
          > better than the bombs I used to use.
          >
          > Just one nit to pick, see below.

          Thanks for catching that. Editing is supposed to /fix/ mistakes...

          The paragraph should read -

          "The GigaPower WG includes a 520 ml fuel bottle, repair kit, fuel
          gauge, and two stuff sacks, and incorporates a wind screen in the burner
          unit. No priming is necessary except in freezing temperatures (see
          below). Snow Peak reports the stove's output is 10,000 BTU. While the
          stove is not intended to be used with a variety of fuels, Snow Peak
          notes that regular unleaded gasoline may be used for short periods, but
          results in poor performance. The GigaPower WG stove retails for
          $149.95."

          The section is fixed in the HTML file.

          Ron
          --

          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 31, 2002

            Have you used it in low temps? The specs say 14° is the bottom end, or the did when they brought it out. Great report on a neat stove. I made a folder for it.

            Jerry

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 31, 2002
              > Have you used it in low temps? The specs say 14° is the bottom end, or the did when they brought it out. Great report on a neat stove. I made a folder for it.
              >
              > Jerry

              I remember you saying that, but my literature makes no mention of a
              lower limit. They do warn that the gaskets may contract in cold weather,
              leading to fuel leaks, but that's it. Presumably as long as the
              temperatures don't get to the point where the seal is totally worthless
              (a possible issue with any white gas stove) I need only make sure I
              check the tightness of the seal after I move the stove from warm to cold
              temperatures.

              I did note that I tried lighting it in 10*F temperatures. Once the
              stove was warmed up by priming, it fired up just fine, and ran without
              the slightest problem.

              Ron
              --

              yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 31, 2002

                That was my only reservation about the stove. I surprised me that the built in wind screen works…… Sorry I didn’t catch the temp referral.

                Jerry

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 31, 2002
                  Nice report Ron.
                  What is required for priming the GigaPower? Is it difficult? How would the
                  burner be operating with gloves or mittens?
                  Do you know what the Rustan burner sheet is on their website? What is
                  Rustan? How much does the burner sheet weigh? Is it any good?
                  http://www.snowpeak.com/Gear/gp006.html
                  thanks Stu B
                • Ron Martino
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 31, 2002
                    Stuart Bilby wrote:

                    > Nice report Ron.
                    > What is required for priming the GigaPower? Is it difficult?

                    I just used white gas - opening the main value a bit without lighting
                    it immediately allowed some of the fuel to pool around the burner. When
                    I lit it, the resulting flames warmed the stove enough to support the
                    second attempt to light the stove.

                    A preferable and safer method would be to use a paste intended for such
                    purposes. Outdoor stores, REI for example, sell a variety.

                    > How would the burner be operating with gloves or mittens?

                    Good question. Lighting might be a bit tricky with bulky gloves. With
                    liner gloves or the like it's not a problem. Once lit and running, the
                    flame control lever would be fairly easy, regardless of the type of
                    glove or mitten.

                    > Do you know what the Rustan burner sheet is on their website? What is
                    > Rustan? How much does the burner sheet weigh? Is it any good?
                    > http://www.snowpeak.com/Gear/gp006.html
                    > thanks Stu B

                    That I can't help with - I haven't tried one out myself.

                    Ron
                    --

                    yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
                  • Andrew Priest
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 1 12:50 AM
                      Hi Ron

                      Good report.  Got me thinking about how I can convince Sarah that the last two stoves she has given me for Christmas needs to be supplemented with a third :-).

                      I do have one question but.  I notice you don't mention stability of the unit on the ground. What is your experience from on this perspective?

                      Thanks
                      Andrew

                      At 09:03 AM 01/02/2002, you wrote:
                      Snow Peak GigaPower WG Stove

                      INTRODUCTION

                      The GigaPower WG is Snow Peak's introductory entry into the field of
                      white gas stoves. Boasting high heat output, lightweight components, and

                      --
                      Aushiker - Hiking in Western Australia - http://aushiker.cjb.net

                      Get paid for responding to and receiving relevant email and/or SMS messages - pureprofile by Australia Post

                    • Ryan Jordan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 1 5:51 AM
                        Ron:

                        Melt a liter of water from snow (do it outside of course) then put the pot
                        lid on and bring to a boil. Record the time between the first bit of snow
                        added and full rolling boil. Do a comparison with another white gas stove,
                        if you have one, as a benchmark.

                        This would be great info and would certainly satisfy my own curiosity. If
                        boil times were similar to say a Whisperlite or XGK, then this stove might
                        just be worth it with its compact size and weight.
                        Ryan
                      • Ron Martino
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 1 5:54 AM
                          > I do have one question but. I notice you don't mention stability of
                          > the unit on the ground. What is your experience from on this
                          > perspective?
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          > Andrew

                          Weather hasn't been conducive to extensive testing, but as I mentioned,
                          I have found it quite stable in general. The small footprint helps -
                          it's easier to find a level spot. With four supports, the unit seems
                          less likely tip than one using only three. The designers seem to have
                          balanced the tradeoffs between size & weight vs. functionality well.

                          Ron
                          --

                          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
                        • Ron Martino
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 1 7:40 AM
                            > Melt a liter of water from snow (do it outside of course) then put the pot
                            > lid on and bring to a boil. Record the time between the first bit of snow
                            > added and full rolling boil. Do a comparison with another white gas stove,
                            > if you have one, as a benchmark.

                            > Ryan

                            Thank you for the suggestion. I will arrange to do this as soon as
                            reasonably appropriate.

                            I won't be using another stove for benchmarking, I'm afraid - my
                            current one is an original Peak One, and so not easily comparable to
                            models currently in use. Unless someone wants to send me a Whisperlite
                            or XGK or other stove to make the necessary tests. (One can never have
                            enough stoves...)

                            Ron
                            --

                            yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com