Re: [QUESTION] Owner Review Call?

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gdm320@...> wrote:

      > Hello OR mod-type folks!
      >
      > Is there currently an active call for Owner Reviews?

      I ain't the guy that makes that call, but let's pretend it is for tents...

      Ray
    • Hollis Easter
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
        On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 02:03:46AM -0000, rayestrella1 wrote:
        > I ain't the guy that makes that call, but let's pretend it is for tents...
        >
        > Ray

        Ray, we all know that you're only making that suggestion because you
        just submitted an OR for a tent.

        We really don't like it when people ONLY write Owner Reviews in response
        to our begging requests--it's like you're desperate for brownie points.
        Please consider writing an occasional OR about other gear that you may
        own.

        J. Alfred Prufreader
      • Mark McLauchlin
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
          Looks to have been a Joke Hollis....

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
            On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 10:30:05AM +0800, Mark McLauchlin wrote:

            > Looks to have been a Joke Hollis....

            Sigh. Yep, it was a joke. Mine was, too. Apparently I should have surrounded
            my post with joke tags. I guess my humor is less transparent.

            I figured the "J. Alfred Prufreader" signature would make it clear.
            Alas.

            Hollis "Milhous" Easter is not a crook.
          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Hollis Easter <easter@...> wrote:

              > Ray, we all know that you're only making that suggestion because you
              > just submitted an OR for a tent.
              >
              > We really don't like it when people ONLY write Owner Reviews in
              > response to our begging requests--it's like you're desperate for
              > brownie points.
              > Please consider writing an occasional OR about other gear that you may
              > own.

              Hmm. I was only joking. Like I said to Greg, "pretend" it is for tents. ("And get writing" was left unsaid...)

              I certainly don't need brownie points. I think I have the most of anybody, and they are not even up to date, and I certainly write plenty of non-point reviews. Yet I have always made a point to write for the call to show support for the cause.

              Andrew made the call for reviews just to get people off the couch and on the keyboard. If that is what it takes it still puts more hit-fodder on our site. A lot of people look forward to the call as it gives them incentive and a goal. "Hey, I have one of those, I never thought of writing about it. I guess I will."

              There are a lot of vets that NEVER write ORs period. To tell people that you don't want them to write only for a call is a bit negative from where I sit. Anything (for any reason) is better than nothing at all.

              Ray
            • Hollis Easter
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
                On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 02:39:48AM -0000, rayestrella1 wrote:
                > Hmm. I was only joking. Like I said to Greg, "pretend" it is for tents.
                > ("And get writing" was left unsaid...)
                >
                > I certainly don't need brownie points. I think I have the most of anybody,
                > and they are not even up to date, and I certainly write plenty of
                > non-point reviews. Yet I have always made a point to write for the call to
                > show support for the cause.

                I think you've been specifically exempted from the brownie point
                categorization because you have infinitely many brownies at this point.
                I think that having hit the century mark for ORs really puts you in your
                own niche.

                > Andrew made the call for reviews just to get people off the couch and on
                > the keyboard. If that is what it takes it still puts more hit-fodder on
                > our site. A lot of people look forward to the call as it gives them
                > incentive and a goal. "Hey, I have one of those, I never thought of
                > writing about it. I guess I will."

                I agree, and should have made my (intended) humor rather plainer. Sorry
                about that!

                > There are a lot of vets that NEVER write ORs period. To tell people that
                > you don't want them to write only for a call is a bit negative from where
                > I sit. Anything (for any reason) is better than nothing at all.

                I agree completely.

                I need to learn how to do banter electronically, because this one was a
                flop.
                Hollis
              • rayestrella1
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Hollis Easter <easter@...> wrote:

                  > On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 10:30:05AM +0800, Mark McLauchlin wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Looks to have been a Joke Hollis....
                  >
                  > Sigh. Yep, it was a joke. Mine was, too.

                  Ah, well sorry then...

                  I thought Greg and I were being spanked.

                  Ray
                • Hollis Easter
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 25, 2009
                    On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 02:43:52AM -0000, rayestrella1 wrote:
                    > Ah, well sorry then...
                    >
                    > I thought Greg and I were being spanked.

                    Nah. Spankings are above my pay grade. I'm still wearing the Yellow
                    Dress of the "New Moderator". Apparently it's a hazing ritual.
                  • Greg
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 26, 2009
                      I say we take Hollis out back and beat him with a rubber hose.

                      Greg M