Repost Tilley T3 Hat by Don Taylor

  • anfhiker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21 8:56 AM
      Richard,

      Thanks for the edits and comments. I have made the changes and I agree
      that they make for a better review. I look forward to reading your
      input on my repost.

      Regards,

      Don

      Tiny URL to my reveiw:

      http://tiny.cc/5SXJk <http://tiny.cc/5SXJk>

      TILLEY T3 HAT
      BY DON TAYLOR
      OR
      July 12, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Don Taylor
      EMAIL: drt2769 AT hotmail DOT com
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: Youngstown, Ohio, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)
      HAT SIZE 7 1/4

      For the past 12 years I have been camping/backpacking primarily in Ohio,
      Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Virginia with the Allegheny National
      Forest as the most frequented location. My trips are generally long
      weekends and I try to camp or hike at least once in all 4 seasons with
      the fall being my favorite. My backpacking trips usually consist of 15
      mile days and a group of 2-3 other hikers in forested, moderately hilly
      areas. I consider myself a lightweight, slow and steady hiker. The
      winter hikes often involve heavy snow and freezing temperatures.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Owner With Tilley" IMAGE CAPTION =
      "Owner With Tilley Hat In The Allegheny National Forest">>
      Manufacturer: Tilley Endurables
      Year of Purchase: 1998
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.tilley.com
      <http://www.tilley.com> ">>
      MSRP: $65 US
      Listed Weight: 5.4 oz (153 g)
      Measured Weight: 5.5 oz (156 g)
      Other details:

      Tilley Endurables describes this hat as the "Best Outdoor Hat In The
      World". The preshrunk hat is made cotton duck and is resistant to rain
      and mildew in addition to providing protection against UVA/UVB
      radiation with its UPF 50+ rating. For those of you like me who did
      not know what cotton duck was, I looked it up and found that it is a
      canvas like textile that is used in products such as shoes, sails, bags,
      clothes and many others.

      The hat offers a wide brim which helps shield the eyes from rain and
      sunlight. According to Tilley.com, the brim measures 2 3/4 in (7 cm)
      wide on the front and back and 2 3/8 in (6 cm) on the sides. I measured
      the crown of the hat to be 6 1/2 in (16.5 cm) long by 5 3/4 in (14.6
      cm) wide and 3 3/4 in (9.5 cm) high.

      Tilley offers the hat in, khaki (which is what I have), natural with
      green underbrim, khaki with green underbrim, olive and navy.

      To get the fit just right, Tilley produces their hats in 1/8 hat size
      increments rather than the more common S,M,L, and XL. The offered sizes
      range from 6 7/8 (21 5/8 in [55 cm]) to 8+ (26 1/8 in [66.5 cm]).
      Tilley recommends that for a proper fit, you should be able to easily
      insert two fingers, flat, between the middle of your forehead and the
      front of the hat. Tilley Endurables sizing chart can be found here:
      <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.tilley.com/sizing-chart.asp
      <http://www.tilley.com/sizing-chart.asp> " LINK TEXT = "Tilley Hat
      Sizing Chart">>.

      Located in the inside of the hat is a hidden pocket that is closed with
      a hook-and-loop patch. The included wind cord is adjustable and stores
      in the hidden pocket or crown of the hat when not needed. The hat is
      designed to fit loosely for comfort and relies on the wind cord to keep
      it place during windy conditions.

      The hat floats under most conditions but it can be sunk in rough water.

      Care instructions that come with that hat are very straightforward and
      easy to follow. The hat can either be hand or machine washed with
      non-bleaching soaps. After washing, the hat is reshaped by simply
      stretching it over the knee. The Tilley Hat is designed to handle
      regular washings and still hold its shape.

      For ventilation the hat is fitted with 4 brass grommets. To combat
      sweat the hat includes an anti-sweat band that wicks moisture away.

      The Tilley Hat was different from most of the hats I looked into
      primarily because of it's "'heavy duty" look and feel. The materials
      and construction were impressive, better than comparable hats I have
      seen.

      Tilley Endurables warranty states:
      <i>"If you ever succeed in wearing out your Tilley Hat (and some have),
      send us the remains and we will replace it free. If you want to keep
      your faithful, old, worn-out friend, tell us and we'll return it to you.
      We understand. Remember: Upon purchase, your Hat is covered by a
      two-year, all peril, 50% deductible, Hat Insurance Policy to take the
      pain out of loss or irreparable damage."</i>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Tilley Top" IMAGE CAPTION = "Top Of
      Tilley (11 Years Old And Right Off The Trail)">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT
      TEXT = "Tilley Bottom" IMAGE CAPTION = "Bottom Of Tilley">>

      FIELD USE

      <i>Conditions</i>

      I have been using and enjoying this hat for the past 11 years on all my
      camping and backpacking trips. The hat has been worn in all types of
      weather including blizzards, thunderstorms and heat waves.

      The coldest trip I can remember while wearing the hat was 5 years ago in
      the Kinzua Reservoir section of the Allegheny National Forest. It was
      January and the temperature dipped to 10 F (-12 C) during the evening
      portion of the hike. My stocking hat fell onto the trail and was lost
      at some point during the day so the Tilley Hat was all I had to fight
      the cold. To my surprise, and elation, my head stayed warm although my
      ears became dangerously cold which required a makeshift headband made of
      socks to warm them up.

      I have hiked while wearing the hat many times in 80 F (27 C) or better
      heat in the hills of North Carolina and Pennsylvania. At these higher
      temperatures it is a trade off between wearing the hat to shield out the
      sun (and bugs if I had repellent sprayed on) and trying to stay cool.
      In most cases, the hat has ended up being packed away until we reached
      camp because it does a great job retaining heat. Great for winter but
      uncomfortable during hot summer days.

      During many thunderstorms and high wind conditions, the hat has proved
      to be one of my favorite pieces of hiking equipment. It stays in place
      and does well at keeping the rain water out of my face until the hat
      becomes completely saturated.

      <i>Observations</i>

      The hat has held up very well over the years. I have confirmed the
      claims of floating and the pocket has proved very useful for storing id,
      money, fishing licenses and credit cards just in case.

      The hat packs very easily and quickly regains shape after a quick
      stretch over the knee.

      During hot weather hikes the hat did a great job of protecting my head
      from the sun however it does get very hot underneath the hat. For
      ventilation the Tilley Hat has the four grommet holes however I have
      found that the ventilation is minimal. The sweatband is very effective
      at wicking away moisture even though the hat fits loosely. During
      summer downpours the hat does a good job of keeping the rain out of your
      eyes and it keeps your head dry until it becomes saturated. Although
      not an advertised feature, the hat seems to avoid the "sweaty hat smell"
      that is common with other caps on hot summer hikes.

      On cold weather trips the hat was very effective at keeping my head warm
      and dry even during snow showers although the hat is very slow to dry.
      The wind cord is very effective at keeping the hat in place during windy
      conditions.

      Over the past 11 years the hat has help up very well. It has been
      machine washed countless times and has not shrunk or faded at all. The
      hat seems to fit better and better the older it gets. Even the wind
      cord has stood the test of time.

      Over time I have found a few nonstandard uses for the hat that have been
      very helpful. During bug season, I spay Deet on the top of the hat. It
      is very effective in controlling the biters and annoyers and the Deet
      has not degraded the condition of the hat. I also use it to fan fires
      and support my headlamp by using the hat's side snaps.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I would consider this hat a great combination of comfort,
      quality and function. For 11 years it has held up very well through
      frequent washings, packings and back pocket stuffings. I have found the
      hat essential for all of my camping and hiking trips. At the time that
      I purchased my Tilley T3 Hat, it came with a no questions asked lifetime
      guarantee against loss and wear out, however this has changed somewhat
      since then. The new guarantee still covers wear but now only covers
      loss with a 2 year, 50% deductible replacement policy.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Quality of Materials
      Quality of Construction
      Durability