OR - TCK Slog Series Topo Socks - Kathy Waters

  • theMiddleSister@usaring.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2009
      Fellow Editors,

      It's storming again - where's that drought? - and John is writing an FR, so I thought I'd do something to keep Ray busy and out of trouble now that he's back as an editor. <g>

      Another OR for your editing pleasure can be found at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20TCK%20Slog%20Series%20Topo%20Socks%20-%20Kathy%20Waters/ or http://tinyurl.com/mkouxm.

      Have at it!

      Kathy
      __________________________
      TCK SLOG SERIES TOPO SOCKS
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS
      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: TheMiddleSister@...
      AGE: 58
      LOCATION: White Lake, Michigan USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.63 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      I started hiking in 1998 after an eye-opening climb up Hahn's Peak in Colorado. Hooked, I return to Colorado often. I've hiked/snowshoed glaciers, rain forests, mountains and deserts in domestic and exotic locations, including Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. At home, I plan for 2-3 hikes of 6-8 mi (10-13 km) weekly and one weekend hike monthly. Weekday hikes take place in Pontiac Lake Recreation Area, a mixture of heavily-wooded moderate hills and flat terrain. Weekend hike locations vary. My hiking style is comfortable, aiming for lightweight. Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) including food and water

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Twin City Knitting Companuy, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.slogseries.com
      MSRP: US $7.95 (Roll Style)
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 2 oz (57 g)
      Available Colors: Hemlock and Sandstone
      Color Tested: Sandstone
      Styles Available: Crew, Quarter, and Roll
      Style Tested: Roll
      Sizes Available: S, M, L and XL
      Size Tested: Medium

      Materials Contents: 77% Polypropylene, 17% Nylon, 3% Lycra® Spandex, 3% Elastic

      "American-made by an American-owned company at an American manufacturing center "
      TCK Slog Series Topo Socks in Retail Packaging

      The TCK Slog Series Guarantee: "We stand by what we make, and we want to know if our product does not meet your satisfaction at the time you receive it or after you have put it to the test. Simply return it to TCK for a repair or replacement. Normal wear and tear is not covered by this guarantee."

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      My Topo Socks are a creamy white color for the main body with maroon accents on the sole of the Socks at the ball of my foot and just above and below the heel. A black toe cap and heel cradle completes the color scheme nicely. Small letters spell out "TCK" in red just above the toe and mid-arch in maroon is the TCK "toe" logo.

      Various types of stitching and thicknesses give function to the form of the Topo Socks. A stockinette stitch (flat stitch typical in most knitted materials) runs from the cuff along the underside of the Socks to the toe. Here the material is the thickest for cushioning the feet's soles. Protecting the instep is a compression-type stitch to give support. Above and below this compression band is a waffle-weave mesh-like stitch for stretch and good fit. The toe seam is flat.

      All stitching is excellent with no loose or longish threads. The quality of the TCK Topo Socks is very evident in its construction.

      FIELD CONDITIONS AND USE

      Over the past six months, the Topo Socks have been on my feet in all sorts of terrains and climates. Florida, New Jersey, Michigan, and Colorado, are some of the states where I've worn the Socks. Seashores, deserts, prairies, and mountains were some of the terrains. Temperatures ranged from below freezing to over 100 F (38 C) with humidity from single digits to 100%.

      Most of my wearing time of the Topo Socks was either casually with sneakers, on a treadmill at the gym doing my 3 x a week 5 mi (8 km) or day hikes on established trails where I was able to wear low-height trail shoes. Maximum weight load was a lumbar pack carrying 10 to 15 lb ( to kg). I never used the Topo Socks on overnight hiking except as a camp sock while relaxing after hours. That is not because I don't think the Topo Socks would perform well, but due to my hesitation to wear low-height boots on anything but groomed trails.

      In this review I will address the performance of the Topo Socks as to fit, feel, wicking and wear.

      First, the Topo Socks are cut on the boxy side. Medium might not have been the best choice for my boot size 8 feet. While the Socks don't bunch up at the heel or instep, in fact the heel is perfect for me; the width of the toes is more than generous. In fact, a bit too generous as there is excess fabric on both sides of my feet at the toes. Fortunately, there is not so much extra fabric as to cause any problem. I just have to be a bit careful about jamming my feet into my shoes. Sliding my feet in gently insures a smoothing out of the Socks.

      I have lots of different socks, some of which I love, others not so much. The Topo Socks are right up there at the top of my list for comfort. Just the right touch of stretch gives the Topo Socks the ability to wrap around my feet with no tightness to mar the good feeling. The heel stays in place with no inching downward while walking or twisting in the toes, either. Without undue heft, the Topo Socks provide cushioning enough for me to walk over rough surfaces without shoes. I'm not talking about shards of glass here but smooth stone, cleared campsites, etc. The Topo Socks also keep my feet toasty warm when I'm not. Yet I have not had a problem with sweating.

      Wicking sweat from my feet is very important to me because I sweat. I can't always blame it on the high mercury reading, either. I sweat when biking, hiking, treadmilling and even sometimes, sleeping - danged hot flashes! Sweating is annoying but when it comes to my feet, annoying is only a minor part of the problem. I'm much more concerned with hot spots and blistering occurring due to wet feet rubbing against wet footwear. Despite countless hours of sweating feet, I never had an issue with sore feet due to the Topo Socks. Even when the Socks felt wet to the touch when I removed them, my feet remained dry. TCK'S proDRI system.must work! And the Socks don't have any stinky feet smell, either. Well, except for when I wear one particular pair of sneakers which causes every sock I own to reek. Neat!

      Lastly, the Topo Socks have held up well with no wear spots, pilling or fading. I've worn them a couple dozen times or more for a couple days at a time in several cases. There are no snags, pulls or holes as of yet and I haven't been particularly gentle with them. I've washed them at least a dozen times in a commercial washer in cold water with no bleach and white clothing. I do turn them inside out before washing as I do with all my hiking-type socks. Most often I let the Topo Socks line dry, but at least twice, I've missed pulling them out of the clothes before stuffing the wash into the nasty hot commercial dryers. The Socks emerged unscathed. No stretching out of the cuff, no shrinking of the Socks. Again, neat!

      STAR ATTRACTIONS

      1.) Extremely cushiony and comfortable
      2.) Wicks away sweat we
      3.) Shows little signs of wear after months of use

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) Cut of sock is a bit boxy so there is excess material at my toes

      SUMMARY

      I now pack the Topo Socks for almost all overnight travel, both on the trail and casual. They take up very little space, much less than even my thinnest slippers or camp shoes and are a very comfortable substitute for them during "down times". I even wear them to sleep in on nights when just my tootsies are cold.

      Thanks TCK for introducing me to these neat Socks.

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2009
          Hello Kathy,

          You have been quite the busy reviewer. Here are the edits for your final OR in the queue. Once done please feel free to upload to:

          Reviews > Clothing > Socks > TCK Slog Series Topo Socks

          Or: http://tinyurl.com/kluatj

          Thanks for the OR,

          Ray

          ***TCK SLOG SERIES TOPO SOCKS

          EDIT: While you do show in the product info that it is the Topo Roll socks you are reviewing, I believe this needs to be in the title unless you were reviewing the entire line of Topo socks.

          ***Manufacturer: Twin City Knitting Companuy, Inc.

          EDIT: Company

          ***Over the past six months, the Topo Socks have been on my feet in all sorts of terrains and climates.

          Edit: the Topo Socks have been on my feet in all sorts of "terrain" and climates. (no "s")

          ***Most of my wearing time of the Topo Socks was either casually with sneakers, on a treadmill at the gym doing my 3 x a week 5 mi (8 km) or day hikes on established trails

          Edit: doing my 3 x a week 5 mi (8 km) "workouts," or day hikes on established trails

          *** Maximum weight load was a lumbar pack carrying 10 to 15 lb ( to kg).

          EDIT: missing conversions.

          *** TCK'S proDRI system.must work!

          EDIT: delete extra period after "system

          ***2.) Wicks away sweat we

          EDIT: I think that is supposed to be "well"
        • theMiddleSister@usaring.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2009
            Ray,

            Thanks for the edits. I hate when I make careless mistakes but you sure are
            good at proofreading! Nice to have you back on the editing team. All fixed
            and uploaded.