OR - Burt's Bees Sunscreen SPF 30 - Kathy Waters

  • theMiddleSister@usaring.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2009
      Dear Editors,

      It's storming like anything this afternoon, so what better way to while away the day dreaming of my next hike and writing an OR (yeah right - but it sounds good, doesn't it)?

      Anyway, text is below and HTML can be found at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Burts%20Bees%20Sunscreen%20SPF%2030%20-%20Kathy%20W/ or http://tinyurl.com/nvhud4

      I look forward to your edits (yeah, right again!).

      Kathy
      ________________________________

      BURT'S BEES Chemical-Free Sunscreen SPF 30
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS
      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: TheMiddleSister@...
      AGE: 58
      LOCATION: White Lake, Michigan USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.63 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      I started hiking in 1998 after an eye-opening climb up Hahn's Peak in Colorado. Hooked, I return to Colorado often. I've hiked/snowshoed glaciers, rain forests, mountains and deserts in domestic and exotic locations, including Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. At home, I plan for 2-3 hikes of 6-8 mi (10-13 km) weekly and one weekend hike monthly. Weekday hikes take place in Pontiac Lake Recreation Area, a mixture of heavily-wooded moderate hills and flat terrain. Weekend hike locations vary. My hiking style is comfortable, aiming for lightweight. Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) including food and water

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Burt's Bee
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.burtsbees.com
      MSRP: US $15.00
      Listed Weight: 3.5 fl oz (100 ml)
      Measured Weight: 4 oz (113 g) - includes packageing (tube)

      Other details: 100% natural
      Ingredients: Active ingredient: titanium dioxide (8.58%)
      Inactive Ingredients: water, cannabis sativa (hemp) seed oil, glycerin, stearic acid, fragrance, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, hydrated silica, sucrose distearate, calendula officinalis (calendula) flower extract, crataegus oxyacanthus (hawthorn) stem extract, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) extract, hydrastis canadensis (golden seal) extract, symphtum officinale (comfrey) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, alginic acid, acacia senegal gum, xanthan gum, beta carotene, sucrose stearate, lecithin, aluminium hydroxide, sodium borate, glucose, sodium chloride, canola oil, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase
      Picture Courtesy of Burt's Bees

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      One of two Burt's Bee sunscreen products (the other is a SPF 15 sunscreen), the Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30 (hereafter referred to as "Sunscreen") is packaged in a 6.5 inch (17 cm) typical sunscreen tube. At 3.5 fl oz (100 ml), it is just 01 fl oz (3 ml) over the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) allowable carry-on size for air travel.

      Trademark Burt's Bees logo and yellow color scheme make the Sunscreen immediately identifiable as a Burt's Bees product. Drug Facts are listed on the back of the soft-squeezable tube, along with active and inactive ingredients, directions for use, and use warnings

      The dispenser is a flip-top bottom (of the tube) which can also be removed from the tube by unscrewing the flip-top.

      The Sunscreen is a thick pale yellow lotion, almost more of a cream than a lotion, but still fluid enough to be able to be dispensed via a very small opening. A clean grassy scent is very pleasant, but strong.

      Directions for use are stated as such: "How to Use It: Apply generously and evenly before sun exposure. Reapply as needed or after swimming, perspiring or towel drying. Use carefully. This product may discolor clothing."

      FIELD CONDITIONS AND USE

      Since I have been spending a good deal of my time in high-altitude Colorado, I have become accustomed to wearing sunscreen all the time. I routinely use a moisturizer on my face rated SPF15 even if I am not planning to spend a lot of time outdoors. When I am going to be in that glorious sunshine, winter, spring, summer and fall, I apply sunscreen, at least SPF 15 and mostly SPF 30. It just makes sense. Never mind the wrinkled skin - I'm a Nana, I've earned those smile lines - I don't want to deal with skin cancer. At least 5 of my aunts and uncles, and my mother, have had lesions removed. I don't plan on going there. So I wear sunscreen. I purchased a tube of the Burt's Bees Sunscreen last summer, so I've had experiences with it in all four seasons now.

      I've worn the Sunscreen at elevations from sea level to 13,000 ft (4000 m); seashore to mountains; deserts to forests; east coast to the Rockies. Temperatures have been anywhere from below 0 F (18 C) to over 100 F (38 C) with humidity from the single digits to 100%.

      First off, the Sunscreen works which is the most important thing. I have never gotten sunburned while wearing it. In my book that makes it a successful product for me, but it doesn't work if I don't use it and I sometimes I don't use it. I'll explain further.

      When choosing gear to put into my pack for an overnight or longer, I sometimes get picky and a large tube of sunscreen often will not make the cut. I will often apply sunscreen before I head out and if I don't have a small tube to take, I sometimes take my chances. Sometimes I will squeeze sunscreen from a big container into a GoToob.

      Sunscreen on my side-turned Hand. No Drip!
      The Burt's Bees Sunscreen is very thick. It doesn't squeeze out of the tube very easily or quickly. I certainly don't have the patience to transfer the Sunscreen to a smaller container. This thickness also makes it more difficult to spread the cream on my skin. I have to squeeze the Sunscreen, get a dime-size dollop of the cream, spread the dollop over a small area and repeat and repeat and repeat! I can't squeeze out a good-size blob, rub it around, and cover a whole extremity.

      Thankfully, the Sunscreen is not greasy. Even at high temperatures, the Sunscreen doesn't "melt" on my body. But it is a bit sticky. I don't have a problem with the stickiness on my body, but I don't like it on my hands. Again, this is not a problem when applying the Sunscreen at home or when water is not scarce. But I don't like using water I've carried on my back and intended for drinking to wash off my sticky fingers - unless it's residue from melted chocolate!

      Hemp seed oil is one of the ingredients in the Sunscreen and I believe it is the reason the Sunscreen smells so nice. It's not a tropical, fruity aroma as most sunscreens are, but a grassy, herbal smell. It's quite strong at first, but mellows out. This is good in bear country where I don't want to attract any wildlife looking for a snack.

      Storage of the Sunscreen has not caused me any grief. In the coldest weather, I was still able to get the Sunscreen to dispense. It was even slower than at warmer temps, but still do-able. I would remove the flip-top though to make it easier. Conversely, when the thermometer rises, the Sunscreen doesn't squirt out all over the place as a liquid.

      STAR ATTRACTIONS

      1.) Actually good for my skin
      2.) Prevents sunburn
      3.) Smells nice

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) Hard to apply
      2.) Leaves my hands sticky

      SUMMARY

      I am a huge Burt's Bees fan and use many of their various products. I will probably not continue to use the Sunscreen while hiking or backpacking however due to the difficulty in applying and the stickiness on my hands after application. I will use it in situations where I don't have large amounts of skin to cover and I can wash my hands afterwards.

      All in all, the Sunscreen works well, but it is a bit hard to use. I'd love to see another 100% natural Sunscreen in a small container that is a bit "silkier" from Burt's Bees. Then I'd be a happier camper.

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
          Hi Kathy,

          Here are the edits for your Burt's Bees OR. Once made you are free to upload to:

          Reviews > Health & Safety > Sunscreens > Burts Bees Chemical Free SPF 30
          Or here: http://tinyurl.com/l662p5

          Thank you for the review. (And the secret helpÂ…)

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer: Burt's Bee

          EDIT: the name is Bees (plural)

          ***One of two Burt's Bee sunscreen products

          EDIT: see above.

          ***(the other is a SPF 15 sunscreen)

          Edit: I will leave this up to you, but I have always been told to use "an" before an initialized name that starts with a vowel sound. Ess in this case.

          *** At 3.5 fl oz (100 ml), it is just 01 fl oz (3 ml) over the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) allowable carry-on size for air travel.

          EDIT: I believe you mean 0.1 oz

          ***Trademark Burt's Bees logo and yellow color scheme make the Sunscreen immediately identifiable as a Burt's Bees product.

          Edit: you may want to say it makes it recognizable to you as many may know nothing about their scheme. I don't as I have never used one of their products.
        • theMiddleSister@usaring.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2009
            Ray,

            Thanks for the edits and sorry they were so "dumb"! I made the corrections,
            deleted the test file and uploaded, but have an issue with the upload.
            Posted a shout-out to Shane and hopefully, the problem will be resolved.

            Again, thanks,
[...]

            To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/Yahoo!
            Groups Links

            http://www.eset.com