REPOST: OR-MSR Hubba HP Tent-Cheryl McMurray

  • Cheryl Mcmurray
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2009
      Hi Roger,
      Thanks a lot for your edits. I have completed them below and have
      included the URL link. Let me know any further edits.
      Thanks for your time,
      Cheryl

      http://tinyurl.com/m9vajf

      MSR HUBBA HP TENT
      OWNER REVIEW CHERYL MCMURRAY
      JUNE 2009

      PERSONAL BIOGRAPHY

      Name: Cheryl McMurray
      Age: 50
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 8" (173 cm)
      Weight: 145 lb (66.6 kg)
      Email Address: cherylswan@...
      City, State, Country: Garden Grove, California, U.S.

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I've been backpacking and hiking for 3 years, mostly on weekends.
      Backpacks are usually 2-3 day trips in the California Eastern Sierras
      with 38-50 lb (17-22 kg) loads depending on the season and a distance
      around 30 mi (48 km). One class 2 rock climb with a day pack is
      common. I am working towards lighter weight loads. Day hikes are
      10-15 mi (16-24 km) in the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains in
      California with loads of 15-20 lb (7-9 km). I have camped in snow,
      freezing temperatures, winds (once was gale force), but mostly fair
      weather so far.

      PRODUCT DETAILS

      Manufacturer: MSR
      Manufacturer Website:www.cascadedesigns.com
      Listed Minimum Weight: 2 lb 9 oz (1160 g) (tent, fly, poles)
      Actual Minimum Weight: 2 lb 11 oz (1220 g)
      Listed Packed Weight: 2 lb 15 oz (1360 g) (tent, fly, poles, 6 MSR
      Needle stakes, sacks)
      Actual Packed Weight: 2 lb 15 oz (1360 g)
      Total Packed Weight: 3 lb 8 oz (1580 g) (tent, fly, poles, footprint,
      9 Y aluminum stakes, sacks)
      MSRP: $349.00 US
      Purchase Date: May 2008

      SPECIFICATIONS (taken from website)

      Capacity 1
      Fly with Footprint Weight: 1 lb 15 oz (870 g)
      Floor Area: 17 ft^2 (1.6 m^2)
      Vestibule Area: 9.5 ft^2 (0.9 m^2)
      Tent Volume: 22 ft^3 (623 l)
      Vestibule Volume: 9 ft^3 (254 l)
      Interior Peak Height: 40 in (100 cm)
      Packed Size: 20 x 6 in (51 x 15 cm)
      Number of Doors: 1
      Freestanding: Yes
      Number of Poles: 1 DAC
      Number of Stakes: 6
      Fly Fabric: 40D x 238T ripstop nylon 6 1500mm Polyurethane &
      Silicone Coated
      Canopy Fabric: 40D x 238T ripstop nylon 6
      Mesh Type: 20D polyester mesh
      Floor Fabric: 40D x 238T ripstop nylon 6 10,000mm Polyurethane & DWR
      Coated

      DESCRIPTION

      This is a lightweight, freestanding solo tent that claims to offer
      increased protection for unexpected early-season snowfalls and
      stronger winds. MSR states that the Hubba HP can hold its own in
      more extreme conditions at well under three pounds. The tent is made
      with very lightweight fabric and minimal netting strategically place
      for moisture ventilation. The length and height of the tent is
      generous for taller campers and it provides ample gear storage in the
      main vestibule.

      The Hubba HP can be used as a double-wall tent or light and fast setup
      with the fly, poles and footprint (not included). With the all-in-one
      hub and swivel-pole design, it is easy to set up.

      Included: tent, fly, poles, pole splint, six MSR Needle stakes, two
      guy lines, tent stuff sack, pole sack, stakes sack, instructions.

      MSR Hubba Hp MSR Hubba Hp MSR Hubba Hp Tent without fly (taken from
      website)

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I bought this tent because of the amount of fabric on the tent. I
      have had tents that are all mesh and have had issues with dust inside
      and breezes felt while trying to sleep. I thought the Hubba HP would
      cure those issues.

      The material of the tent is extremely soft to the touch and feels
      quite delicate. The fly material is also softer feeling than other
      tent flys I have used. It has a small mesh window at the upper
      portion of each side and a small mesh window at the top. There are
      two stash pockets inside the tent and a removable loft (included)
      under the mesh window at the top.

      With my sleeping pad, which is 20 x 72 in (50 x 180 cm), and my
      sleeping bag on top of that, I have enough room at the foot of the
      tent to store boots and some extra gear from my backpack. The pack
      can be stored inside the door vestibule. There is a small vestibule
      on the non-door side of the tent that is large enough to store boots
      but is not accessible from inside the tent. Just above the small
      vestibule is a vent that can be opened and closed but is also not
      accessible from inside the tent.

      The manufacturer provides six MSR Needle stakes but if I want the tent
      completely guyed out, I use eight stakes with an optional extra stake
      that can guy out a loop that is just above the vent. I'm not sure if
      MSR intended that loop to be a guy out point but I called them and
      they said that it can be used that way in windier conditions. The
      weight difference of six MSR Needle stakes and six Y aluminum stakes
      that I use (third picture below in silver) is 1 oz (28 gm).

      The pole comes as a single unit with a hub at both ends and a swivel
      hub in the center for the strut. A pole splint is included.

      The tent is plenty long for my 5 ft 8 in (173 cm) height and when I'm
      not trying to get dressed is wide and high enough for me to sit
      comfortably. I do have problems hitting the sides of the tent fabric
      with my elbows when putting a jacket on.

      I can fit the tent, fly and footprint into a 6 x 15 in (15 x 38 cm)
      compression sack (not included) and compress it down to 6 x 5 x 13 in
      (15 x 13 x 33 cm).

      Tent, compression sack (not included), poles, stakes
      Tent in compression sack (not included), poles, stakes
      MSR Needle stake on left, Y stake I use on right

      FIELD INFORMATION

      I have used this tent on six backpacking trips, all three day and two
      night durations, in the locations of Joshua Tree National Park, San
      Jacinto Mountains, San Bernardino Mountains, and the Eastern Sierra
      Mountains. The elevations ranged from 4000 ft (1200 m) to 10400 ft
      (3200 m) with temperatures (camping temperatures) from the low 30s F
      to high 40s F (-1 C to 9 C). The tent was used in the desert, on
      snow, below tree line and above tree line but no rain or storms were
      experienced so I cannot comment on it's waterproofness or ability to
      hold up in snowfall.

      FIELD TESTING OBSERVATIONS

      DURABILITY/STABILITY

      MSR's first claim is that the tent will stand up to wind and light
      snow with a sub-three pound weight. That would limit the tent setup
      to the tent, fly, poles, and six stakes. My closest test for those
      conditions was up in the San Jacinto Mts in March of 2009 when I
      camped on snow using nine SMC snow-stakes. Unfortunately it did not
      snow, so I was unable to test the strength of the tent with snow on
      it. I did have some high winds on the ridge above my tent that
      translated into strong breezes where I was camped. I had no problems
      with the tent in winds around 15 mph (24 km) but would not have felt
      as secure without the three extra stakes. My tent setup was 3 lb 8 oz
      (1580 g) with all of the guy lines guyed out. I also always use a
      footprint which adds 8 oz (230 g) to the complete setup. The photo
      below left shows the tent setup on snow. Notice the guy line coming
      out from just above the fly vent. This does help with stability in
      wind.

      MSR Hubba Hp setup on
      snow MSR Hubba Hp pitched
      on rocky soil

      Joshua Tree National Park gave me some wind conditions as well. At no
      time did I have dust blow in the tent unless the door was open. I
      always use all nine stakes every time I set up the tent so I don't
      know how stable the tent would be with only the six stakes that MSR
      provides. After six backpacking trips the only wear the tent has
      shown is some slight fraying of the fabric ends at the inside of the
      door zipper. It looks to be excess material ends and has no bearing
      on the integrity of the tent. The photo upper right is above tree
      line at 11000 ft (3400 m) in the Eastern Sierras on rocky soil (using
      a footprint) with no visible wear on the bathtub floor. It pitched
      well in a small size space.

      INTERIOR SPACE

      MSR claims that the pole configuration maximizes interior space. The
      strut pole not only adds to the stability of the tent but does help
      open up the interior width. I do notice that the walls in the lower
      section bow in a little but unless I'm trying to put a jacket on, I
      don't touch the side walls at all. I have found the tent, considering
      it is a true solo tent, to have ample room lengthwise. I have plenty
      of room at the foot of my sleeping bag for my clothing stuff sack and
      a few other items. My boots would fit as well but I like to keep them
      in the vestibule with the pack. The two stash pockets are large
      enough for my headlamp, ipod, earplugs, and gloves. One stash pocket
      is near my head area and one is at my foot area. The loft will hold
      numerous other small items that I don't want to lose and I have never
      run out of storage space inside the tent or inside the vestibule. The
      small vestibule on the non-door side is small and inaccessible but
      will store my boots if weather is good and going outside the tent
      without them is not a problem. The headroom is plenty high for me.
      Even when I get up from a sleeping position, I have never brushed my
      head on any part of the tent. Both ends of the tent are the same
      width so there is no head or foot area which makes is nice for me to
      have the door option on my right or left side. The door is very large
      and makes it very easy to enter and exit.

      SETUP

      Setup of the Hubba HP is very simple. I stake down one end of the
      inner tent, then the other end on the same side. The pole is easy to
      setup since it is one unit. After inserting the pole ends into the
      grommets I then stake down the other side of the tent. The footprint
      has matching grommets that also connect into the pole ends. The inner
      tent then clips onto the pole and into the ends of the strut pole. I
      throw the fly over the pitched inner tent and secure the fly with the
      same grommet system at the pole ends. The fly can then be cinched
      down at each end to make it taut. I then stake down the two
      vestibules and then the two guy lines at both ends. The tent pitches
      very taut and can be secured in about five minutes. For extra
      strength I guy out the loop at the top of the vent.

      BREATHE ABILITY

      I have experienced condensation on the inside of the fly but not
      inside the inner tent. The windows and loft vents are up high where
      hot air exits and have found the tent to breathe well in the
      conditions I've camped so far. Since I have not used this tent in
      below freezing temperatures where frost can accumulate or very damp
      rainy weather, I can't comment on its ability to breathe in those
      conditions.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Amount of fabric on tent
      Headroom and length
      Stash pockets
      Good ventilation
      Side door entrance

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Width could use a few extra inches
      Expensive
      A few more guy outs would be nice
      Pole unit is an awkward shape when folded up
      Fly vent not accessible from inside the tent

      CONCLUSION

      I bought this tent for more protection from the wind and grit that can
      blow in from too much mesh. The MSR Hubba HP has lived up to my
      expectations for more protection and I believe added warmth with the
      amount of fabric on the tent itself. This may not be considered an
      ultra lightweight tent but it is very lightweight. The only claim
      that MSR makes about the tent that I feel is exaggerated is that the
      tent will hold its own in more extreme three season conditions at well
      under three pounds. If this was true the tent would have to withstand
      snow and winds with only a setup of the tent fly and poles.

      It has not shown any wear after six trips and although I have tried to
      be careful when pitching it, I have not been able to avoid all
      undesirable camping locations. It would be a little more comfortable
      if it had a few inches of extra elbow room but all in all it has been
      a very comfortable tent for sleeping and dressing. I've been able to
      keep track of small items with the stash pockets and loft. I have
      barely noticed stronger breezes so long as it is pitched taut with all
      of the guy lines secured. This tent is pricey but is justifiable if a
      sale can be found.

      I do recommend this tent.