EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Osprey Aether 70 Pack - Paul Schilke

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2009
      Hi Paul,

      Thanks for your first owner review. It looks like you have a pretty good start, but a pack is a complex item to review (generally not recommended for a first item), so you will have a bit of work to do before this report is ready for publishing on the site. We'll work together to get it done as quickly as possible, but we'll be working in stages.

      So, let's begin with stage one. Since you have used the report writer, you can post the HTML version relatively easily. I'm going to point out a few items for you on this round, and want to see the HTML version on the next round. You'll need to repost the revised report in plain text here, with a link to the HTML version in the owner review test folder. If you haven't done so already, you will need to register at BackpackGearTest.org and log in to post in the `test' folder (you won't be able to see that unless you are logged in), under the subfolder `owner reviews'.
      Please make sure you post here in plain text. Your report has a lot of extra characters that I suspect might be from HTML? Anytime you have weird extra characters showing up, you should go through the report and delete them before posting here. They make it really difficult to properly read the report.

      We have a convention for edits around here that goes something like this:

      EDIT: a required change, generally spelling, grammar, or required information that has been left out.

      Edit: a change that should be made, but you have some leeway in how to do that.

      Comment: a suggestion for improvement that you can make, or merely a comment.

      ### EDIT: You need to add the word `pack' in the title.

      June 10, 2009
      NAME: Paul Schilke
      EMAIL: paulschilke@...
      AGE: 36
      LOCATION: Mogollon Rim, AZ
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)
      I have been a serious backpacker since 2002. I enjoy lightweight camping. I
      use several different kinds of stove.

      ### EDIT: …kinds of *stoves*

      Manufacturer: Osprey
      Year of Manufacture: Purchased in May 2008, review has more info.

      ### EDIT: Please remove the words "review has more info". That isn't necessary, and sounds a little confusing as the whole report is the review.

      Manufacturer's Website: www.ospreypacks.com
      MSRP: US$259

      ### Edit: Where did you get the MSRP? I cannot find it on the website. We only provide the MSRP if it is available directly from the manufacturer (via the website or hangtags). We do not allow using MSRP's found on retailer's websites only. Unless it is available on the website or hangtag, you should list `not available' or n/a.
      Listed Weight: 4lbs 9oz (2.10 kg)
      Measured Weight:
      Â Â Â Â Â Â Top Pocket 9oz (255g)

      ### EDIT: need a space in between *9 oz*

      Â Â Â Â Â Â Main Pack 4.75 lbs (2.15 kg)

      ### Edit: Does the main pack weight exclude the top pocket? Although separating the weight of the components can be useful to the reader, the total weight should always be listed first.

      Listed Volume: 4200 cubic inches (70 L)
      Listed Length: In: 30.5x15.5x11.5, Cm: 77.5x39x29

      ### Edit: Please either list your measured size, or state that it is generally consistent (I know it is hard to exactly measure length, width, etc. of a pack). Also, your category should really be "Listed Measurements" or "Listed Size", since it is the depth and width of the pack also.

      • 420D Nylon pack cloth
      • 210D double ripstop Nylon
      • Stretch woven Nylon with Lycra™
      • 500D plain weave Nylon oxford

      ### Comment: Can you give us an idea of which fabric is used where?

      Hydration Pocket with left and right ports and elastic hose routers on the
      harness straps
      Dual Entry Side Stretch Pockets (water bottle pockets x2)
      Stretch Front Pocket
      Sleeping Pad Straps
      Sleeping Bag Compartment
      Top lid with tie points which doubles as a lumbar pack when used with the
      removable hipbelt
      IsoForm CM heat-moldable hipbelt with Ergo Pull design
      IsoForm harness
      Sternum strap with safety whistle
      Airscape suspension with nubbed ventilated foam backpanel
      Internal Framesheet with two aluminum stays
      Ice Ax Loops, Ski Loops
      Internal Compression Strap.
      Straight Jacket Compression System

      ### Edit: While the list of features is nice, we really like to see a description of them in your own words. I would suggest reading a few pack reports, particularly owner reviews, in order to get an idea of what we like to see. In particular, I'd recommend reading these:
      Osprey Aether 85 by Ray Estrella, Mystery Ranch BDSB by Richard Lyon, Osprey Atmos 35 by Ernie Elkins, and Osprey Atmos 50 by Mark Ferguson. These reports will all give you a good idea on how to expand your product description.

      At this point, I'm going to end stage one. Do be sure to spell check your report, as I noticed a couple of spelling errors in the body of the report, but we'll get to anything like that a little later, as once you expand the product description section you may want to make a few changes within your `field use' section.

      When you've made the edits listed so far, and expanded the product description, please upload the HTML version to the test folder, and repost here with a link, using the title: REPOST: OR Osprey Aether 70 Pack – Paul Schilke.

      If you have any questions, please refer to the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide here:

      Owner Review documentation here:

      Or, general report/review guidelines here:

      If you can't find the answer to your question there, feel free to post here and I'll be happy to help.

      I look forward to seeing your revised report soon.

      Pam Wyant
      Owner Review Editor