Repost-Deuter Kid Comfort II-Suzi Gibson

  • suzi_q_jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2009
      Richard, Thanks for the edits:) Regarding the Velcro issue, Deuter
      has Velcro with listed with a capitol "V", so I guess that means
      they're using the official thing?

      Here's the latest version:
      Tiny URL:
      Long URL:

      Deuter Kid Comfort II Child Carrier Pack
      Owner Review Suzi Gibson
      May 28, 2009

      Name: Suzi Gibson
      Age: 31
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'6" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (74.8 kg)
      Email address: suzi_q_jones at yahoo dot com
      City, State, Country: Anderson, South Carolina, USA

      Backpacking Background: I've gone on many family camping trips to various places
      along the east coast of the US since I was a child. The backpacking bug was always there,
      whispering in my ear until finally in my early twenties it bit me! I've since done several
      backpacking trips in Florida, Washington, Virginia, and North Carolina. I typically
      backpack with around 30 lb (13.6 kg) of essential gear (sleeping bag and mat, tent, stove,
      and clothes), food and water and usually go for 2 to 3 days. My current tent and bag
      comprise almost half of the pack weight.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Deuter
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Listed and Actual Weights: 6 lb (2.7 kg) 1 oz (28 g); 6 lb (2.7 kg) 6 oz (170 g)
      Listed and Actual Measurements: 26 in (66 cm) x 15 in (38 cm) x 13 in (33 cm); 26 in
      (66 cm) x 15 in (38 cm) x 13 in (33 cm)
      Fabric: Microrip/ Hexlite 210
      Colors Available: Storm Anthracite, Cranberry Anthracite
      Color Tested: Storm Anthracite
      Pack Volume: 1000 cubic inches (16.4 L)
      Maximum Load, listed: 48.5 lbs (22 kg)
      MSRP: Not Available

      Field Conditions:

      I purchased this pack in May 2008 so I could hit the trail again and take my then-infant,
      now toddler daughter with me. The pack got immediate use since I was allowed to wear it
      out of the store and had to walk several blocks to my car and then it was taken on its first
      hike a few days later. It's been used nearly every week since then. Our hikes with this
      child carrier have been in South Carolina, North Carolina, and Maryland over somewhat
      level, sandy trails and roads to moderately steep climbs in the mountains of North and
      South Carolina. All hikes ranged from 3-6 miles (5 – 10 km). It has also been used on my
      neighborhood walks (~3 miles, 5 km), touring the museums and Mall area in Washington
      D.C., and transporting my daughter in the airport. Temperatures and conditions
      experienced on hikes have ranged from 50 F (10 C) to 90 F (32 C), and clear, sunny skies
      to moderate rain.
      The carrier is the Storm Anthracite color, which is a slate blue-like color with grey and
      black trim. The fabric is made of Microrip/Hexlite 210. According to the Deuter website,
      Microrip is "a 210 denier fabric with strong ripstop threads and PU coating". The Hexlite
      210 is "a lightweight nylon with a 210 denier rating used for light and fast packs." The
      top of the pack also boasts a small safety tag written in English and German. The
      aluminum frame comes complete with an exposed base and kickstand. The kickstand has
      two soft plastic pads the minimize scuffing and absorb impacts from setting the carrier

      The Vari-Quick system is designed to quickly adjust the pack's harness system for either
      personal modifications or if switching the pack to a hiking partner. This is done by un-
      Velcroing the Velcro closure, removing it from the ladder systems and reinserting it into
      the ladder the best fits and re-securing the Velcro. The number of straps on the ladder
      makes it easy to get a very good fit. The harnesses shoulder straps are slightly contoured
      to better conform to the shoulders. All adjustment straps seem to be similar to those
      found on an average backpacking pack. These include: sternum strap, stabilizer straps,
      shoulder straps and load lifter straps. The lumbar support is well padded as are the
      shoulder straps and hip belt. Deuter's padding system is designed to effectively circulate
      air in and around the padding and thus helping to dissipate heat from underneath the pack
      as well as the back padding in the child carrier section. Air is circulated through the
      hollow foam chambers with every move from the wearer. This is found on the shoulder
      straps (both for the hiker and the child), lumbar pad, hip belt and back padding (again for
      both for the hiker and the child). The padding is also wrapped in a 3D mesh lining to
      facilitate air movement.

      The child carrier section is outfitted with a 5-point harness system. The shoulder straps
      are adjustable by means of un-Velcroing it from the back of the child carrier section and
      re securing it in the proper position. The shoulder harness is well padded as is the seat
      and back padding. The child's adjustment straps include a sternum, height and seat
      adjustment straps and a buckle and adjustable strap on one side of the carrier that allows
      for easy access putting in and removing the child.
      The top of the carrier has two handles that allow the pack to be carried or lifted. There are
      two mesh panels near the top of the sides of the carrier for stowing baby items within
      reach of the baby. On the back of the carrier, there is one open pocket measuring
      approximately 9.5 x 6.0 x 9.0 in (24 x 15 x 23 cm) that has a buckle and adjustment strap
      located in the middle of the opening. There are two channels on the top rear of the pack
      that allow for the optional rain/sun shade to be inserted. In addition, there are small
      (approximately 0.75 in/ 1.9 cm) loops on pack that allow for the Sun and Rain cover and
      the Full Rain Cover to be attached. Both pieces are optional equipment features and need
      to be purchased separately. On the very outside back of the carrier is a smaller zippered
      pocket measuring approximately x 8.0 x 4.0 x 6.0 in (20 x 10 x3 15 cm).
      On the bottom of the pack is the largest of the storage compartments. This compartment
      measures approximately 8.0 x 9.0 x 11.0 in (20 x 23 x 28 cm) and has a zipper. There is
      also a small (approximately 4.0 x 1.0 x 3.0x in/ 10 x 2.5 x 7.6 cm) pocket on the right hip
      belt. There is a zippered compartment (complete with drinking tube hole and Velcro
      straps on the right shoulder strap) between the child carrier section and the back padding
      that accommodates up to a 101 oz (3 l) drinking reservoir.

      It's not enough that I absolutely love this child carrier, but the fact that the mere sight or
      suggestion of the carrier results in a squeal of delight and the "happy hiker" dance from
      my daughter. The fabric, stitching and zippers have all proved to be very durable. The
      carrier has seen approximately 100 miles (160 km) on the trail and easily over 200 miles
      (320 km) on local and neighborhood walks. Through it all, the pack still looks almost
      new. The only exceptions to this are the drool marks on the chin guard and slight scuffing
      on the bottom of the exposed aluminum frame and kickstand pads. The kickstand has
      been easy to retract and deploy on the fly. I really like how easy this pack is to adjust on
      the fly and how well is distributes the always moving weight of my toddler. Having a
      somewhat short torso, I also appreciate how well this carrier fits and seems to mold to my
      back. The ventilation in the carrier's padding is great for both hiker and baby. This has
      been especially invaluable in our hot, humid, Deep South summer hikes. I have also
      noticed that when I do sweat during hikes, it quickly evaporates from the carrier's
      padding and the smell is not retained. The main compartment is spacious and easily
      accommodates a day's outing of food, drinks, and baby essentials. On dayhikes, I
      typically carried the following items in the main compartment:
      • Small, basic, first aid kit
      • Food for me and my daughter
      • Lunch Jug with either beverage or food
      • Diaper changing supplies (2-4 diapers, wipes, baggie, and pad)
      • Extra clothes and coat for my daughter
      The top open compartment typically holds her neck support pad, which I used when she
      falls asleep in the carrier in addition to the rain/sun shade when not in use. I usually
      placed trail maps (when not needed) in the smaller outer pocket as well as a small
      thermometer and compass and car keys. The small hip belt pocket typically held my
      phone and wallet. The two mesh pockets on the top sides of the carrier were always filled
      with either sippy and snack cups or toys. Although I did end up using these straps
      designed to fit around sippy cups and secure them to strollers to hold her snack and sippy
      cups to the pack where she could have better access to them. The hydration sleeve is easy
      to use and has been essential on my hikes. My 68 oz (2 l) reservoir easily fits into the
      sleeve and is equally easy to remove at the end of the day. Putting my daughter into and
      pulling her out of the pack has always been relatively easy and quick. The 5-point harness
      is easy to adjust and does a great job keeping her secure regardless of my missteps.

      Overall, I absolutely love this child carrier, as does my daughter. I find it to be very
      comfortable to use and I believe my daughter feels safe and secure enough in it to nap in
      it while we're on the trail. The padding does a great job drawing heat away in hot
      conditions and the carrier's design distributes the weight so well I almost forget I'm
      carrying 35 lbs (16 kg) of carrier, toddler and accessories on my back. The only
      drawback I see with the pack is the lack of storage that one can access without removing
      the carrier or asking for assistance from a hiking partner. To overcome this, I have
      installed a canteen pouch on the hip belt to stow a bag of larger snack crackers, sippy cup
      and a camera.

      • Easy to adjust on the fly
      • Comfortable for baby and hiker especially in hot, humid conditions
      • Accommodates up to 101 oz (3 l) drinking reservoir
      • Ample storage for dayhikes
      • 5-point harness
      • Well ventilated

      • Lacks small, readily accessible storage