OWNER REVIEW: Suunto Altimax Wrist Top Computer-Cheryl McMurray

  • iamutz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2009
      Hi BGT,
      Here's another owner review and the link to the upload.

      Thanks for your time.
      Cheryl McMurray

      http://tinyurl.com/lhh9ke

      SUUNTO ALTIMAX ALTIMETER WRISTOP COMPUTER
      OWNER REVIEW
      June 2009

      Name: Cheryl McMurray
      Age: 50
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 8" (173 cm)
      Weight: 145 lb (66.6 kg)
      Email Address: cherylswan@...
      City, State, Country: Garden Grove, California, U.S.

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I've been backpacking and hiking for 3 years, mostly on weekends. Backpacks are usually 2-3 day trips in the Eastern Sierras with 38-50 lb (17-22 kg) loads depending on the season and a distance around 30 mi (48 km). One class 2 rock climb with a day pack is common. I am working towards lighter weight loads. Day hikes are 10-15 mi (16-24 km) in the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains with loads of 15-20 lb (7-9 km). I have camped in snow, freezing temperatures, winds (once was gale force), but mostly fair weather so far.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Suunto
      Manufacturer Website: www.suunto.com
      Manufacture Year: 2000
      Color: Maroon with patterned maroon Velcro wristband
      Manufacture Weight: 2 oz (57 gm)
      Actual Weight: 1.5 oz (43 gm)
      Manufacture Price: $199 US
      Warranty: 1 year

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      This is a large diameter wristop computer measuring 2 in (5 cm) in diameter designed for recreational use. The size of the watch face makes the display large and easy to read. It is maroon in color with a matching patterned maroon Velcro wristband. I have a small wrist with a diameter of 5.5 in (14 cm) and my husband's wrist is 6.5 in (16.5 cm) and we are both able to comfortably wear the watch. The manual states a weight of 2 oz (57 gm) but actual weight was 1.5 oz (43 gm). The watch has 2 buttons on each side. The left side has a "select" button on the upper left side and a "-" button on the lower left side. The right side of the watch has a "mode" button on the upper right side and a "+" on the lower right side. There is a mode indicator arrow that lets me know if I'm in the "time", "altimeter", or "barometer" mode. There is also a barometric trend indicator in the upper left corner for tracking weather trends. It takes a CR 2430 battery under a plastic cover that opens with any coin.

      Suunto Altimax in time mode Suunto Altimax in altimeter mode Suunto Altimax in barometer mode

      TECHNICAL DATA AND FEATURES (taken from website)

      Altimeter
      Altitude alarm: yes
      Vertical speed: yes
      Temperature compensation: yes
      Resolution: 5 m
      Quick access to logbook: yes
      Recording intervals: 20s, 60s, 10 min, 60 min
      Automatic 24-hour memory: yes
      Altitude range: -1600 ft - +29500 ft (-500 m - +9000 m)
      Difference measurement: yes
      History memory: yes
      Logbook function: yes

      Chronograph
      Countdown timer: yes
      Stopwatch: yes
      Max number of split times in memory: 2

      Watch
      12/24h: yes
      Dual time: yes
      Daily alarms: 3

      Weather
      Absolute barometric pressure: yes
      Temperature resolution: 1 F (1 C)
      Weather memory: 4 days
      Trend indicator: yes
      Temperature range: -5 F - +140 F (-20 C - +60 C)
      Temperature: yes
      Sea level pressure: yes
      Difference measurement: yes

      Power
      Low battery warning: yes
      User replaceable battery: yes

      Other
      Operating temperature: -5 F - +140 F (-20 C - +60 C)
      User replaceable straps: yes
      Water resistance: 100 ft (30 m)
      Storage temperature: -22 F - +140 F (-30 C - +60 C)
      Backlight type: Electro-luminescent Display

      SET UP

      The manual that comes with the watch is very comprehensive and easy to follow. Calibrating the altimeter is easy by putting the watch in "altimeter" mode, press and hold the "select" button and use the "-" or "+" buttons to increase or decrease the altitude, then push the "mode" button and it is ready to go. That is the only thing that I've found that I needed to calibrate in the field so once I had done it a few times, it became easy. I did, however, have to go back to the manual to refresh my memory as to how to turn the alarms on and off, along with occasional time changes due to a new time zone or daylight savings. The "log book" feature is easy to activate as well by starting in the altimeter mode and pressing the "-" button twice until a beep sound is made. It then records ascent and descent for up to 12 hours. These are the features I have used the most.

      FIELD USE

      I was given this watch from a friend who used it for about 4 years before getting something else and putting it in a drawer. When she found out I was interested in using an altimeter watch she put a fresh battery in it and gave it to me in 2006. I have used it on every hike and backpacking trip I have taken for the last three years. Field use has been in the Eastern Sierras, San Gabriel Mountains and San Bernardino Mountains. The temperature ranges have been from 10 F - 98 F (-12 C - +37 C) with elevations from 80 ft - 14500 ft (24 m - 4400 m).

      FIELD TESTS RESULTS

      TIME MODE

      I have found the clock feature in the watch mode to be accurate. I have not had to reset that feature unless I was entering a different time zone and changing that was very simple after I became familiar with the function of the four buttons on the watch. I have used the stopwatch but not the timer feature. The stopwatch has come in handy when doing navigation practice allowing me to time myself to the next point on the map. I can quickly stop the watch if my pace gets interupted and quickly start it again when I begin to move. The day and date is visible in the "time" mode which I like. It is common for me to forget what day it is when I'm out in the backcounty and it is nice to be able to remind myself. It does have three alarms which I do set when I'm out camping but I rarely hear them as I sleep with ear plugs. They are easy to hear, though, when I'm awake.

      ALTIMETER MODE

      I have used this mode mostly since that is what I wanted the watch for. I like to be able to reference on a topo map where I am using my current elevation. There are two ways to calibrate the altimeter. The first way is to determine on a topo map where I am and manually calibrate it. The second way is to set the sea level barometric pressure if known and the altimeter will adjust to within 200 ft (60 m). When navigating in the backcountry, I feel that this is not accurate enough as my location can differ by up to five contour lines so I usually calibrate the altimeter at the trailhead where I know the current altitude.

      I did a hike to Heart Bar Peak in the San Bernardino Mts with a starting elevation of 7000 ft (2100 m). I calibrated the altimeter there and when I got to the peak, it read 8340 ft (2500 m). The map said the peak was at 8332 ft (2550 m). This is about as accurate as I can expect. I did a hike up to Mt. Baldy in the San Gabriel Mts calibrating the altimeter at the trailhead to 4000 ft (1200 m) and when I arrived at the peak it read 9860 ft (3000 m). The actual peak is at 10064 ft (3050 m) thus reading 200 ft (60 m) low. Both hikes were done with similar temperatures of low 50's F ( to mid 60s and partly cloudy skies. At home I live at an elevation of 120 ft (37 m) so I decided to try adjusting the sea level barometric pressure since I had access to that information. After checking the altitude, it read 70 ft (21 m) high. When I adjusted the altitude to 120 ft (21 m) the sea level barometric pressure dropped .10 inHG (.003 mbar) from the readings I found on the weather website.

      I find that the altimeter is accurate to within 200 ft (60 m) which is what the manual states but I would prefer better accuracy than that. I have found that the best way to have the most accurate reading for the whole outing is to check the altimeter at known elevation locations and recalibrate it along the way when necessary. Although the manual does not say this, most information I have read about altimeters do state that this is the best way to keep an altimeter accurate.

      I have used the "log book" feature which will record total elevation gain and loss in a 12 hr period. When I'm in the altimeter mode I press the "-" button twice and after the beep, it becomes activated for 12 hrs. I have found this recording to be accurate to within 100 ft (30 m) high or low.

      BAROMETER MODE

      I have not used the barometer mode except for determining temperature. One thing I like to know when I'm out on a backpacking trip is the temperature in the tent at night and in the early morning hours. I gave the Altimax a good test up at South Lake in the Eastern Sierras in early March. I knew it would be well below freezing but was not sure how the watch would perform. I hung it in the tent and whenever I woke up, would check the temperature. Many times I had to rub the frost off of the face but it kept going strong and at the coldest time in the morning it gave me a low reading of 10 F (-12 C). Some other brands of altimeters that friends had brought stopped working but the Altimax never failed. The backlight feaure works well in the dark. I press and hold the "select" button and the backlight will go on for three seconds and then turn off. Although the Barometer Mode can be used for weather forecasting, I have not tried that.

      DURABILITY

      This watch is ten years old. I have used it for the last three years on every hike and backpack trip (no less than 30 outings). It has one scratch on the face which was there before I started using it. It does not obscure any visibility and I have not added any new scratches even with numerous rock scrambling day hikes. I have replaced the battery once and had to replace the battery cover at the same time. Suunto does offer a battery replacement kit that includes the battery, cover, and a new gasket. The slot in the old battery cover had become stripped from previous replacements and purchase of this kit became neccessary. It was an easy installation and I've had no problems with it since.

      CONCLUSION

      This is a durable wristop computer that has held up well for me over the last three years. I have not replaced the original Velcro strap yet which is still working and can also be cleaned very easily. The watch is accurate to within 200 ft (60 m) but I can attain better accuracy if I calibrate it often at locations of know elevation along the way. I have found the clock to remain accurate and the watch works well in temperatures as low as 10 F (-12 C) (the lowest I've tested it so far). The stopwatch feature works well for calculating distance with time for navigation purposes.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Durability
      Long Battery Life
      Ease of use
      Replaceable Battery Cover
      Works in below freezing temperatures

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Battery cover slot can be stripped easily as it is made out of plastic
      Altimeter can require frequent calibration
      Watch is bulky on the wrist

      I do recommend the Sunnto Altimax Wristop Computer. It is a good navigation tool used along with a map and compass.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager