owner review - MSR Whisperlite international stove

  • mattbortolin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2009
      MSR WHISPERLITE INTERNATIONAL
      BY MATT BORTOLIN
      OR
      June 07, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: matt bortolin
      EMAIL: mattbortolin@...
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: Santa Cruz, Ca
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 168 lb (76.20 kg)

      I began backpacking 3 years ago after leaving the boy scouts in 1990. After moving to Santa Cruz California I started doing local day hikes with my wife. I decided to start doing extended trips between 6 and 10 days covering around 50 to 80 miles, sometimes I encounter rain and near freezing temperature. Trinity Alps and Klamath national forests are typically where I do my extended tips. I enjoy light weight backpacking and pushing myself. Fishing is a must for me.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: MSR
      Year of Manufacture: Present
      Manufacturer's Website: <<www.msrcorp.com>>
      MSRP: US$79.95
      Listed Weight: 11 oz (305 g)
      Measured Weight: 14.5 oz (410 g)
      Other details: Boil time (white gas), 1 liter 3.9 minutes

      FIELD USE

      I have used this stove over and over in rain, wind and at elevation over 8000 FT (2438M). Low temperatures in the mid 30's. In dry heavily wooded areas and wide open granite mountain ranges.

      After many uses I have never experienced a problem that didn't have a simple remedy. After five days of use the jet clogged. I cleaned the jet problem solved. For the most efficient boil time the wind screen should be used at all times. Packing size when accompanied with a large fuel bottle can be cumbersome and I have found it best to use 2 smaller fuel bottles and share the weight with a companion.

      SUMMARY

      If you want a tried and true stove that offers excellent durability and good flame control, this is the stove for you. Though not the lightest stove on the market its reliability and multi fuel use is worth the weight.

      THINGS I LIKE

      very reliable, easy to use, perform great at high elevation. can be disassembled in the back country for cleaning, can burn multiple fuels, parts are everywhere, flame control is good

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      needs pump seals replace every season to avoid dangerous leaks, weight of stove plus liquid fuel weight is an issue, suit during priming, jet is pron to clogging

      SIGNATURE

      matt bortoliin
      mattbortolin@...

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2009
        Hello Matt and welcome to BackpackGearTest.org.

        Thank you for your Owner Review, and your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now your review is lacking in some areas and cannot be accepted for editing at this time. You certainly have a good start but the body of report where you actually review the stove is quite slim.
        It is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing process. Please consider these two options before revising your review:

        1) Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST in the subject line.

        2) Take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below). In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

        Regardless of which option you take, we certainly hope you will give it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

        Edit Administration Manager