EDIT: Therm-a-Rest ProLite, Brian Jensen

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2009
      EDIT: Therm-a-Rest ProLite, Brian Jensen

      Hi Brian

      Welcome to BGT. This is a start, but I have to say straight away that it is
      too short and we really need a lot more detail than you have provided. I
      would very strongly recommend that you work with a Mentor for the first few
      Owner Reviews: it makes a huge amount of difference. Details on how to ask
      for one are given below.

      In the meantime, I have some outlined just a few edits for you to fix, and
      these are listed below. I have not dealt with the rest of the review as it
      needs a lot of enhancement first.
      Please do not be offended by the terse manner used in spelling out the
      edits: that's just how I find it easiest to list them.

      Reposting
      When you have fixed these matters please REPOST the plain text of your OR
      here on this channel.
      At the same time would you please put the new HTML version in the Tests /
      Owner Reviews folder on BGT. In the future please include the URL for the
      HTML file in the Test folder with your first posting and all subsequent ones
      to make my life easier. It is now a requirement that we check the HTML
      version for various things like a clickable manufacturer's URL and some
      details of the layout before giving approval, and it is also a requirement
      that you provide the URL to help us Editors find your file. We are often
      editing several ORs at a time and are easily confused.

      All Test Reports require photos of the gear. While we do not insist on the
      inclusion of photos in your first Owner Review, we do strongly encourage you
      to do so. Your second Owner Review will require the inclusion of photos
      anyhow. As I am sure you will know, pictures convey so much more information
      when used in conjunction with the text. If you have trouble with the
      pictures, and especially with the 'ALT' tags, let me know. The problem is
      well-known and easily fixed.

      Edit Conventions
      Many Editors use the following convention in listing their edits and
      comments:
      EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards,
      Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way,
      Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change as a
      result.
      However, if you think I have got something wrong or that what I am
      criticising is actually a matter of personal writing style, feel free to say
      so. Personal style is accepted, as long as it is reasonably clear what you
      mean.

      Unit Conversions
      The BGT web site does have a units convertor which can be used when
      converting between imperial and metric. Please note that while the convertor
      is accurate, it very often gives more decimal places than can possibly be
      justified. For instance, it may convert 20 C to 68.00 F. Please round off
      all conversions in a realistic manner - in this case 68 F is suitable.

      Mentors
      If you are not sure exactly how to get going, we have an excellent Mentor
      program. It was established to help all newcomers through the somewhat
      confusing process of becoming gear testers, and to make sure they understand
      the 'rules'. Mentoring is also available for veteran testers who'd like to
      get some feedback on their test applications or test reports. Whatever stage
      you're at the Mentors are here to help. If you'd like a Mentor, please
      contact the Mentor Coordinator (mentor@...) and please
      include "Mentor Request" in your subject line.

      Rules and Regulations
      In addition, you must take some time out to read through our Documentation
      pages to understand just what we are about, and what rules there are for our
      operations. You be required to state that you have read these and will
      comply with them when you apply for a Test. These pages are found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php. This is at least the
      second generation of our rules: they have evolved over time, but we try to
      keep them as simple and as plain as possible. If you find any problems with
      them, let us know.

      HTML Creation and Problems
      In some cases when editing the plain text of a review I find problems with
      the layout of the text version. This can happen when an HTML file is badly
      converted - possibly by Yahoo. If this seems to be a problem, you could
      consider trying one of the free HTML/text editors such as Note Tab Lite:
      this one has a good conversion tool built in for stripping out the html tags
      to create plain text. Some people who know nothing about HTML like the very
      point-and-click oriented NVU, although I don't. It mangles the underlying
      layout of text and HTML tags. Both can be found through Google.

      In other cases where there are serious HTML problems the source of the
      problems may be that you used MS Word to generate the HTML file. We have had
      extremely bad results from MS Word: in fact it has been responsible for most
      of the really bad layout problems I have ever seen. In particular it causes
      untold grief over the inclusion of pictures. Also, if you feed a cleaned-up
      HTML file through Word to fix just one small error, Word will usually
      completely rewrite the HTML into a ghastly mess. We strongly discourage you
      from using MS Word to create the HTML! However, if Word is all you have,
      please save the file as 'web page, filtered' rather than as 'web page' or
      XML. The filtering does help improve Word's efforts slightly. But our Report
      Writer is a better option.

      BGT Report Writer
      This is meant to make the process of creating BGT reports and test series as
      friendly as possible. The Report Writer enables the writer to create a
      report without knowing anything about HTML, or having to wrestle with
      workarounds in Word. It will assist you with the inclusion of photos as
      well. Even for those who are fully HTML-literate it can be handy. See
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1 for further
      information. It is highly recommended.

      Uploading to BGT
      When uploading your Owner Review to the indicated folder, please ensure you
      select the button marked 'Owner Review'. If you require assistance with your
      upload, please ask in our Yahoo support group,
      BGTFileUploadHelp@yahoogroups.com. You can access this also via
      failure involves a comment about missing <alt> tags, and this is usually due
      to the use of MS Word.

      Tester Agreement
      Before you can become a Tester with BGT you must sign the Tester Agreement.
      Basically, this is an undertaking to play by the rules and complete any Test
      series, or to return the gear if you can't. Sometimes things happen, and if
      you let us know UP FRONT we will understand. We do put family needs first.
      The single most important thing here is to COMMUNICATE!
      The agreement can be found at:

      The signed agreement should be forwarded to
      C Carnes
      18 E Earle Street
      Greenville, SC 29609
      USA

      If this is your second approved review and you have submitted a Tester
      Agreement which has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate
      in the testing process by applying for tests. Further details on this may be
      found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

      Applying for Tests
      You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the Tests are announced:
      related to Tests and Testing takes place.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT Editor
      -------------------------------
      > Therm-a-Rest ProLite Regular
      EDIT: a title needs brand, model and gear type - in this case 'Air mat'
      would suit.

      > AGE: 22
      > I have been backpacking for over 15 years.
      EDIT: ah - I think we need a bit of a check here. That has you starting at
      7?

      EDIT: you have not included a Product Description at all. This is required.

      > Therefore; I have a broad range of experience from
      EDIT: delete ;

      > This camping trip was from May 22, 2009 - May 23, 2009.
      EDIT: this describes just one night. We need lots more nights/information
      than this.

      > SUMMARY
      EDIT: you need a bit of a review of the mat over a good number of nights
      before you get to a summary.
    • Brian Jensen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2009
        Roger,

        Thank you for the edits, I am going to do as you reccomended and request a mentor. In one edit you said to check my backpacking history since it stated I started at age 7. This is infact true since my father was very big into backpacking, if there is a better way to word it then I will change it. I took nothing offensive and appreciate the edits.

        Warm Regards,

        Brian Jensen

        contact the Mentor Coordinator (mentor@backpackgear test.org) and please

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/BGTFileUpl oadHelp/ . The most common upload