APPLICATION – Packit Gourmet Food - Bob Sanders

  • Bob Sanders
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      Please accept my application to test the Packit Gourmet Food

      I have read and understood the current requirements in the Survival
      Guide Version 0609, and I agree to comply with all of these
      requirements as a tester particularly those stated in Chapter 5 and
      Chapter 6. My signed Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

      Applicant: Bob Sanders
      Gender: Male
      Age: 51
      Weight: 210 lb (95 kg)
      Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
      E-Mail: sherpabob at mac.com
      Location: Longmont, Colorado

      Backpacking Background:
      I went on my first backpacking trip as a Boy Scout at the age of 16.
      Over the years I have hiked the Wonderland Trail in Washington and
      section hiked numerous parts of the Florida Trail and the Appalachian
      Trail and 740 mi (1191 km) of the Pacific Crest Trail during one
      glorious summer. Best vacation I ever took. I continue to backpack and
      hike year round in the Colorado mountains. I have evolved from a
      heavyweight backpacker to a lightweight backpacker and during warmer
      months I manage to hit ultralight weights. My three day spring/summer
      solo adventures (using a tarp or a hammock) have me hovering around a
      10 lb (4.5 kg) base weight. I really love the lightweight approach and
      I am always looking for ways to lighten my load.

      Additional Background info:
      I have not tested food before for BackpackGearTest.org so I thought
      this would be an excellent opportunity. I am always looking for
      different and satisfying meals to take with me on the trail. I usually
      take a simple alcohol stove setup but I also have a gas canister stove
      I can use for the more complicated dishes that need simmering or
      frying. I'm not a picky eater and my normal selection of food for any
      trip usually boils down to taste and ease of preperation. I am
      basically lazy so many of my selections consist of adding boiling
      water to some concoction in a freezer bag. It might be time for me to
      expand my horizons. When I car camp the sky is the limit and I prepare
      all kinds of dishes.

      Field Information:
      This food will be primarily eaten in and around Boulder, Colorado, in
      the surrounding foothills, and in the Rocky Mountains near Indian
      Peaks Wilderness area and the Rocky Mountain National Park. Depending
      on when the test starts it could run from June to August. For Colorado
      this would include some hot summer weather. During this time, daytime
      temps can run between 95° F (35° C) and 65° F (18° C). Night time
      temps can run between 35° F (2° C) and 55° F (13° C). These
      temperatures do include elevation gains in the mountains. In the areas
      I will be hiking and backpacking the elevations will be between 5000
      ft (1524 m) and 9000 ft (2743 m).

      Test Plan:
      Currently I have 3 backpacking trips planned over the next four
      months. Two of the trips will be in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area
      and the third will be in the Rocky Mountain National Park. My
      backpacking trips are usually 2-3 day affairs. I am self employed so I
      can skip out of work by noon on Friday and be on the trail by 1 or 2
      in the afternoon. I usually return by late Sunday afternoon or
      evening. I try to get out once a month. My sons birthday is coming up
      so we will probably go car camping and fishing mid June.

      If I'm selected as a tester, the following are criteria I will be
      evaluating:

      Testing Criteria:

      • Taste — This is probably the big one. It has got to taste good or it
      just won't be carried
      • Ease of preparation — depending on the selection supplied is the
      preparation simple, complicated of somewhere in between and are the
      directions clear
      • Cleanup — Is the aftermath of the feast easy to cleanup or a chore
      • Nutrition/Energy Value — I will be evaluating the ingredients,
      calories and how much energy they provide me on the trail
      • Packaging— I will evaluate how packable and durable the packaging
      is. I will also be looking into how easy the contents can be to split
      if I need to divide a 2 serving package into separate meals for a solo
      hiker.
      • I will also be looking into how much garbage is accumulated after
      the meals are eaten.

      Test Load:

      Current tests in progress:
      None

      Other Current applications:
      Therm-A-Rest Ventra Down Comforter

      Monitoring:
      White Sierra - Trabagon Rain Jacket

      All of my reports and reviews can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/sherpabob

      Thank you for considering me for this test.