OWNER REVIEW: Brunton CRUX Compact Foldable Canister Stove

  • fusionminds
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2009
      Brunton CRUX Compact Foldable Canister Stove

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Adam Russell
      Age: 24
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 1" (~1.86meters)
      Weight: 165 lbs. (~74.8 kilograms)
      Email: russell.adam.m@...
      City, State, Country: Monterey, CA, USA
      Date: 5/29/2009

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking when I was a freshman in college (6 years ago) up in Portland, OR, mostly taking 3 day trips. I got in to taking longer trips 3 years ago for a week or two. Currently, I go hiking a couple times a week for 4 to 5 miles in the Big Sur region of California. I enjoy hiking and backpacking in varied terrains (snow, mountains, beaches, rocky, rain-forests, etc.).

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Brunton
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Listed weight with battery: 3.1 Ounces (88.87 Grams)
      Weight as delivered with battery: 3.15 Ounces (89.30 Grams)
      Length: 2.2 Inches (55.88 Millimeters)
      Width: 2.9 Inches (73.66 Millimeters)
      MSRP: $75.00

      The Brunton CRUX Compact Foldable Canister Stove is a lightweight compact stove. It's collapsible burner head makes it easy to pack away on a backpacking trip or for car-camping. Included is a nifty stuff sack to protect the burner from any loose particles that may get into the burner holes.

      The stove puts out an impressive 12,000 BTUs. This allows it to heat water, fry foods, or melt snow quickly. When mounted on a butane canister, it has an oversized burner head, which folds up or down. The oversized burner makes it easy to balance pots and pans without having to worry that your meal will end up in the dirt.

      Summary

      I have used the CRUX about 30 times in a variety of terrains, temperatures, and elevations. It has been used at temperatures nearing 95 F and at the coldest it has been used at 25 F in snowy conditions. The highest elevation it has been used at is at Timberline Lodge (Mt. Hood, OR). The lowest elevation has been at sea level near Big Sur. I have taken the stove to Mt Hood, North Cascades, Big Sur, Los Padres Dam, Mt. Jefferson, Three Sisters Trail Loop, and other such trips.

      This is my second stove from Brunton and I have always enjoyed using the small, lightweight collapsable stoves. The ease of using this stove makes it fast and easy to boil water, or fry up small materials.

      I have always used either Brunton or MSR 4 oz canisters. There is no noticeable difference in how long a canister lasts or how fast it can boil water.

      The only problem I have seen in using this stove is after you heat up the burning head, the arms warp a little bit. Once it warps a bit, it can be tough to fold the arms again. Although there are much newer and more advanced burners, I would recommend using this burner if you can pick up a new one.

      Things I like:
      1. Small, compact, and lightweight
      2. Lifetime warranty
      3. Able to control the butane release