Repost: Salomon Techamphibian Sandals - Hollis Luzecky

  • Hollis Luzecky
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2009
      Hi Pam,
      I have have finally reworked my report as you suggested. I'm having trouble
      with loading the pictures, but wanted to get this to you for text review
      while I work on the pictures. I'm terribly technologically challenged. It
      has taken me over a week just to figure out this HTML file stuff :(

      Anyway......here it is.....
      Hollis

      SALOMON TECHAMPHIBIAN SANDALS
      BY HOLLIS LUZECKY
      OR
      May 25, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Hollis Luzecky
      EMAIL: greengirlhollis AT gmail DOT com
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: Silver Spring, MD, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      I started backpacking almost 15 years ago, mostly taking weekend trips. I
      have done a few one to two weeks trips. I enjoy weekend and weeklong
      kayaking trips as well; so waterproof (or waterproofing) my gear is
      essential. I like my gear to be light, but I don't currently own the
      lightest gear and depending on the terrain I don't always carry the lightest
      pack. I normally hike on well-maintained trails in hilly, rocky terrain,
      but also across creeks and marshy terrain. I am a four-season hiker,
      encountering rain, snow, wind gusts, extreme heat, and freezing
      temperatures. I rarely hike in hard mountainous terrain, but have expanded
      my horizons recently with a trip up Mt. Kilimanjaro.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <B>Item Name:</B> Salomon Techamphibian Sandal
      <B>Manufacturer:</B> Salomon
      <B>Manufacturer Homepage:</B> <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "
      http://www.salomonsports.com" LINK TEXT = "Salomon Sports">>
      <B>Year of Manufacture:</B> 2003
      <B>Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP):</B> MSRP Not Available
      <B>Listed Average Weight (based on size 7):</B> 1 lb 2 oz (510 g)
      <B>Owner's Measured Weight (size 8.5):</B> 1 lb 3 oz (539 g)
      <B>Owner's Purchased Size:</B> 8.5 (Fits true to size)
      <B>Material:</B> Synthetic leather / nylon mesh upper; Nylon lining; EVA
      midsole; Rubber outsole
      <B>Country of Origin:</B> China
      <B>Owner Description:</B>
      The Salomon Techamphibian Sandal ("Techamphibian") is an excellent water
      shoe that doubles as a light hiking shoe and sandal. It features a
      synthetic mesh upper that keeps rocks and debris out and drains water
      quickly. Salomon describes the Techamphibian as having 5 drainage portals,
      but with mesh sides serving as a drainage portal, I'm not sure how Salomon
      arrives at this number. At any rate, water flows freely out of the shoes.
      The shoes have an "air-mesh" top and tongue, which are very breathable. A
      strip of synthetic leather with drainage holes extends down the center of
      the tongue to the toe bumper. For support, the heel is synthetic leather,
      also with drainage holes. The heel is adjustable with a buckle and strap,
      which adds to the personal fit and it is also convertible, folding down so
      the shoes can be slipped on like sandals. The "Quickfit" Kevlar lacing
      allows quick tightening and loosening with one slide of the tab. The soles
      are sticky "Contagrip" that provide good traction.

      FIELD USE

      <B>Length of Ownership:</B> 5 years
      <B>Field Activities and Conditions:</B>
      I have worn these shoes during a variety of activities both indoors and
      outdoors, including:
      · Hiking (with and without a day pack),
      · Backpacking (with a pack as heavy as 35 lb),
      · Kayaking,
      · Road and trail biking,
      · Beach bumming,
      · River cleanups,
      · Gardening,
      · Urban sightseeing,
      · Festival going,
      · Gym workouts,
      · Office work.
      I have worn these shoes on a variety of terrains, both with and without
      socks, including:
      · Sidewalks,
      · Urban hikes,
      · Paved trails,
      · Rocky bike paths,
      · Wood chip trails,
      · Rock scrambling trails,
      · Boulder jumping,
      · Well-maintained forest trails,
      · Overgrown forest trails,
      · Muddy trails,
      · The English country-side,
      · Sections of the Appalachian Trail,
      · Lake shores,
      · Sandy beaches,
      · Creek, stream and river crossings.
      I have worn the Techamphibians from spring to fall, but very rarely in the
      winter. I wear them in the rain, but not in the snow. I do not wear them
      hiking when temperatures fall below about 40 degrees Fahrenheit (about 4
      degrees Celsius). But I have worn them kayaking in the winter with neoprene
      or fleece socks. I find them more stylish than most water shoes.

      FIELD COMFORT

      <I>Fit</I>
      I have a very narrow foot and a very high arch. I find the Techamphibians
      to be extremely well fitting in width, but they lack good arch support. The
      toe box is wide allowing my toes to move freely. Despite the lack of arch
      support, I find the Techamphibians fit well overall, both barefoot and with
      thin and heavy socks. The light, mesh upper allows them be cinched down
      easier than most sturdier hiking shoes (but this provides less support).
      The heel tightness is adjustable with a strap and buckle mechanism for
      additional personal fit, and does make somewhat of a difference for my
      narrow heel and when wearing the shoes barefoot and also with thick thermal
      socks. On steep ascents I may tighten it or in a kayak I may loosen it, but
      it does not provide that much of a difference in fit. The "Quickfit" Kevlar
      lacing system is fantastic for tightening them down quickly and I never have
      to tie any laces. But, the laces tend to flop around because the Velcro
      fastener doesn't tuck into the tongue pocket like it is supposed to (Salomon
      has changed the laces on the newer styles, replacing the Velcro fastener
      with plastic tips that do fit into the tongue pocket). Because my foot is
      very narrow the laces also hang on the ground (Salomon has also changed the
      length) unless I tuck them under the lace crossings.
      <I>Comfort</I>
      Despite the lack of arch support, I find them comfortable for most hikes. I
      replace the insole on more rugged or longer hikes for one with more arch
      support and cushion. I started off wearing the shoes around town and on day
      kayaking trips. The shoes were very stiff for the first month and I did not
      venture out on day hikes in them, but once the synthetic leather softened,
      they were comfortable enough to wear on longer hikes. I can't hike in them
      with dry bare feet all day because the lining causes blisters on the tops of
      my toes and the balls of my feet get sore. At most, I can go about 2 miles
      with dry bare feet. However, in rain or water crossings I have no trouble
      with my feet getting blistered. As long as my bare feet are wet, the shoes
      are comfortable. The Techamphibians are very comfortable with both thin and
      thick hiking socks. I usually wear the Techamphibians with hiking socks on
      most of my day hikes and short overnight hikes because they offer enough
      support for most trails, and breathe very well in the hot summers.
      <I>Performance</I>
      I have owned these shoes for 5 years (finally just bought a new pair a few
      months ago) and they are incredibly durable. I replaced the insole after
      two years, but the shoe itself has held up tremendously. I wear these shoes
      almost daily in the summer, not just for backpacking. The mesh sides give
      excellent ventilation, making them very cool and keep my feet from
      sweating. I take them with me on every trip. For easy terrain, I will wear
      them over 8-10 miles/day with hiking socks, and even with a 25 lb (11.34 kg)
      pack. On rougher or steeper terrain, I will wear them over 6-8 miles/day
      without a pack. On rougher terrain with a pack over 20 lb (9.07 kg), I will
      hike in my Salomon hiking shoes and take the Techamphibians along for water
      crossings and as camp shoes. I can't hike in the Techamphibians with dry
      bare feet all day. At most, I can go about 2 miles with dry bare feet.
      However, in rain or water crossings I have no trouble with my feet getting
      sore. As long as my bare feet are wet, the shoes are comfortable. Having to
      wear socks defeats the quick drying benefits, but I take the insole out and
      my socks off for river crossing and reassemble on the other side. This is
      not a problem because the rest of the shoe dries so quickly.
      After a stream crossing, the shoes dry in about 30 minutes, the insoles dry
      in about 4 hours if you remove the insole and allow it to dry separately
      (drying time is longer if it is humid). When the insoles are wet they do
      not feel too soggy to continue walking, but I find it best to remove the
      insole before crossing water so it does not soak your socks when you put
      them back on after crossing. The shoes themself do not get soggy, so
      putting your socks on immediately after crossing does not tend to impact my
      hiking in the shoes. The manufacturer does not recommend putting the
      Techamphibians or the insole in the dryer.
      Because of the mesh sides, the Techamphibians are not good for hiking in
      sandy, small gravel, or thorny areas, but on most trails, I have no issues
      with debris getting in the shoes. In streams and rivers, sand and small
      rocks do have a tendency to get in the shoes but that would occur with any
      type of shoe worn in those conditions. The heel strap will loosen over
      time, which is why I normally don't bother with it. With socks on I don't
      really need this feature because the shoes fit well enough. When barefoot I
      will tighten it, but I don't travel over distance barefoot so the loosening
      does not affect me. I noticed that the laces do loosen a bit after a few
      miles, especially on steep ascents, but they are easy to re-tighten. I have
      never had the laces break on me after all these years. Replacement laces
      are, however, available at most outdoor retailers.
      Salomon claims that the "outsole features high-traction inner pods for
      maximum grip on smooth surfaces, and a hard rubber perimeter for edging."
      In my experience, the treads have been very reliable, leaving me surefooted
      crossing rivers, as well as on wet, rocky, uneven terrain. Climbing over
      rocks and boulder hopping, I have had no problems with slipping. I find the
      treads to grip very well in almost all conditions. However, in wet
      (squishy, sink into type) mud they do not hold traction, but I haven't found
      a shoe that does so I do not view this as a negative. The treads are finally
      starting to wear too much for lengthy, wet leaf, or rocky hikes, but they
      still make great camp shoes. I use them as camp shoes even in cool, fall
      weather with a heavier sock. Because the heel folds down flat, you can slip
      them on around camp or when getting out of your tent.

      SUMMARY

      <B>The Good </B>
      · Very comfortable with socks,
      · Lightweight
      · Good traction in wet conditions and on rocky trails,
      · Dries quickly,
      · Durable,
      · Converts from shoe to sandal,
      · Stylish
      <B>The Bad</B>
      · Poor arch support,
      · Not heavy enough for long, rugged hikes,
      · Mesh sides are not good in sandy or thorny brush
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Salomon Techamphibian Sandal" IMAGE CAPTION
      = "Toe bumper and Kevlar laces">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Mech
      Uppers" IMAGE CAPTION = "Excellent ventilation and rugged sole.">>
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Techamphibian Outsole and Insole" IMAGE
      CAPTION = "Heel converts to sandal. Laces too long.">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE.
      ALT TEXT = "Techamphibian convertible heel" IMAGE CAPTION = "Contragrip
      sole provides excellent traction.">>

      SIGNATURE

      Hollis Luzecky

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.