REPOST - Owner Review Marmot Meta Jacket - Jeff Ruhle

  • jjruhle@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2009
      Hi guys,

      Thanks to Richard as my mentor, I now have a much improved OR. You will find it below. If you'd like the HTML version, it is at : http://tinyurl.com/MetaJacket

      Cheers!
      Jeff

      MARMOT META SOFTSHELL
      BY JEFF RUHLE
      OWNER REVIEW
      March 19, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jeff Ruhle
      EMAIL: jjruhle@...
      AGE: 22
      LOCATION: Waterville, Maine, USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.90 m)
      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)
      WAIST 34
      CHEST 44

      I developed a love for backpacking while spending the semester abroad in New Zealand. I enjoy playing games and seeing how little I can pack to keep my pack light, however, I always pack a lot of food. My favorite terrain is steep, rugged, alpine terrain with more vertical and less horizontal. Living in New England, I find a lot of this terrain since the trail makers don't seem to make many switchbacks. I also am highly involved with a large number of other outdoor activities like skiing, kayaking, climbing, and biking. Generally, I like to push my comfort zone.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Marmot Mountain LLC
      Model: Meta Softshell Jacket
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.marmot.com" LINK TEXT = "www.marmot.com">>
      MSRP: US$199.95
      Listed Weight: Unknown
      Material: [Shell] WindStopper Soft Shell; [Lining] polyester fleece
      Core Venting: No
      Pockets: 2 Front, 1 chest
      Seam Taped: Yes, fully
      Powder Skirt: No
      Hood: Yes
      Zip-in Compatibility: No
      Manufacturer Warranty: Lifetime

      Field Use

      The Marmot Meta Softshell Jacket (from now on will be referred to as "the jacket") was primarily tested in the western regions of Maine and northern New Hampshire. Most of this terrain is no higher than 4000 ft (or around 1200 m) in elevation. This region is known for its winds, however, so good wind resistant gear is essential for venturing above tree line. The trails also have a tendency not to switch-back and just blaze straight up the mountains, so breathability is also important for the climbs.

      All of the hiking trips (four total) I have taken with this jacket so far have been in the winter, with temperatures around or below freezing. Two of those trips were in great weather, with clear skies, little wind, and temperatures in the 20s. One was north-bound on the Appalachian Trail over the Bigelow Range in Maine, making a loop by coming back down the Fire Warden's Trail. The second was up Tumbledown Mountain near Mt. Blue State Park in Maine. One trip to Tuckerman's Ravine was a clear day with temperatures in the 20s F (-7 to -2 C) but with high winds. The last hiking trip to the Mahoosuc Notch section of the Appalachian Trail was both snowy and windy. All were weekend warrior day-trips.

      I also spent a 4 days wearing the jacket on a hut trip to Francie's Hut (a 10th Mountain Division hut) in Colorado. The climate is very dry, although we received a lot of snow and moderate winds while we were out there.

      Description of Features

      According to the manufacturer, the jacket is meant to be a windproof, water resistant outer layer for hiking, backcountry touring, skiing, and ice climbing. Its WindStopper outer material stretches with one's movements, resists water, and blocks all wind, but remains highly breathable.

      On each trip, it lived up to the aforementioned expectations. It blocked all the elements and did not restrict movement. On the inside, it is a nice plush fleece that provides a little bit of insulation (along with making it very comfortable). In all, I really love the fabric of this jacket.

      The hood is not helmet compatible, although I did find that it fit over my climbing helmet. However, this causes the shoulders to pull up a little bit, which is not very comfortable (or stylish). When not wearing a helmet, it does have hook-and-loop patches on the back, and two drawcords which allow for a large variety in adjustment. One of the cords runs along the front edge, as usual, but one runs from the temples to the back of the head, which is surprisingly useful. It allows me to cinch down the front cord, but still keep the opening wide enough to see out of. The only problem I had is that the collar in the front does not come up very high when zipped. With a long neck like mine, this allows for a lot of wind to sneak in.

      The pockets on the jacket are one of my favorite features. The two front pockets are very large with long, double-zippered openings. Opening them from the bottom allows them to function like the typical front pockets on any other jacket. However, when I have the hip strap of my pack buckled in, I can unzip them from the top and have enough room to get my hand inside. I find this to be one of the best front pocket designs that I have run across. The chest pocket is just a typical chest pocket, not too small, not too large, and great for quick access.

      The cuffs are the typical hook-and-loop/strap mechanism, allowing for very quick and easy adjustments. Unlike a lot of cuffs, however, they contain no elastic. I personally prefer this, as it does not rub against my skin all day, which can sometimes get very uncomfortable towards the end of a hike. The bottom of the jacket has an adjustment system as well, allowing me to tighten or loosen it with an elastic cord. The cord is accessed from the inside of the pockets. I actually prefer this access to be on the outside of the jacket, leaving my pockets free, but it makes no big difference and is just a matter of preference.

      One of the two things that I do not like about the jacket is the pit zips. They are not very well incorporated into the jacket. To begin, they are very small, and provide little ventilation. When I am climbing hard, the five-inch opening feels insignificant. Second, they are wildly uncomfortable. Without long sleeves on an under layer, they rub against my arm nonstop. I would prefer the jacket without pit-zips rather than the current pit-zip design.

      The second thing I do not like about the jacket is the overall fit. It is very loose and baggy. It fits somewhat like a large sweatshirt. In addition, it is very short, particularly in the back. When I sit down, it leaves a nice gap on my back between the pants and the bottom of the jacket, which is quite annoying. It was clearly not cut for someone of a slender, athletic build (which is strange as I would think that describes a large portion of their client base).

      Summary

      The Meta Soft Shell Jacket has some very well thought out features, along with some features that don't seem to be thought out at all. The hood, zippers and materials are all wonderful. However, I think the cut of the jacket needs to be taken in and the pit zips should be redesigned or left out completely.

      Pros

      -WindStopper exterior
      -Comfortable fuzzy interior
      -Large, double-zippered pockets
      -Flexible adjustment in the hood
      -Lack of elastic in the wrist cuffs
      -Adjustable bottom

      Cons

      -Collar too short
      -Pit zips very small and uncomfortable
      -Cut of the jacket is way too short, and a little wide
      -Elastic drawcord for the bottom adjustment is accessed from inside the pockets

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 11, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Kathleen Waters
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 22, 2009
          Jeff,

          I have been assigned to edit your Owner's Review. This appears to be your very first review, so I tried to go easy on you. <g> Writing for BGT takes practice and you needn't be discouraged by the editing process. Having Richard as a mentor will certainly make it a shorter process. This was a great first review, congratulations!

          I noticed you did not include any pictures in your OR. Please be aware; while it is not required in your first OR, pictures are encouraged and are required in your second OR and all test reports.

          Here are my edits and comments for your Marmot Meta Softshell OR. Your HTML looks good and you are approved to upload your corrected OR to http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/Marmot%20Meta%20Softshell%20Jacket/ or http://tinyurl.com/cg42wy .

          Please delete the OR from the test folder.

          My list of edits follows. Let me know if you don't understand anything I've written.

          Conventionally the following terms are used in the editing process:
          EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards
          Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way [unless you seriously object with good reason]
          Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change of some sort as a result.

          Kathy
          BGT OR Editor
          _______________________________________
          Waist 34
          Chest 44
          EDIT: You need to add measurement designations (inches) and metric conversions here.

          MSRP: US$199.95
          EDIT/COMMENT: Where did you get the MSRP? I couldn't find it on the Marmot site. Unless the MSRP is directly from the manufacturer, you need to leave this information out – "N/A".

          Measured Weight: ?? oz (?? g)
          EDIT: Measured weights are required in all ORs and test reports.

          This region is known for its winds, however, so good wind resistant gear is essential for venturing above tree line.
          Edit: I know from personal experience Richard is a stickler for punctuation, so I hesitate to bring this up <g>. I don't think a comma is called for after both "winds" and "however". MS Word says a semi-colon should be used after "winds' but when reading it, I think a comma after just "however" is most logical.

          The trails also have a tendency not to switch-back and just blaze straight up the mountains, so breathability is also important for the climbs.
          Edit: I'd say "switchback" without the hyphen if you are using it as it is commonly used or "switch back".

          I also spent a 4 days wearing the jacket on a hut trip to Francie's Hut (a 10th Mountain Division hut) in Colorado.
          EDIT: The proper name is "Francie's Cabin" even though it is a 10th Mountain Division "hut".

          According to the manufacturer, the jacket is meant to be a windproof, water resistant outer layer for hiking, backcountry touring, skiing, and ice climbing.
          Edit: Should hyphenate "water-resistant".
          Its WindStopper outer material stretches with one's movements, resists water, and blocks all wind, but remains highly breathable.

          EDIT: One of the cardinal no-nos of BGT is the use of projection – telling the reader what may or may not occur. All owner reviews and test reports are to reflect only the writer's experiences. The use of pronouns such as "you, your, etc." is not allowed. "One's" is a soft sort of projection. It does not indicate the writer's personal experience. You need to make sure you own the review. Change "one's movements" to "my movements". If the above sentence is a direct quote from the manufacturer, then "one's" would be ok, but you would need a set of quotation marks around the quoted section.

          The chest pocket is just a typical chest pocket, not too small, not too large, and great for quick access.
          COMMENT: When I read this, I found myself wondering just how big the pocket was. A great way to help the reader visualize is to add something like; "The chest pocket is just a typical chest pocket, not too small, not too large. It's a perfect fit for my iPod (GPS, camera, keys, whatever it is a good fit for) and great for quick access."

          When I am climbing hard, the five-inch opening feels insignificant.
          EDIT: You need the metric conversion for "five-inch".

          The Meta Soft Shell Jacket has some very well thought out features, along with some features that don't seem to be thought out at all.
          EDIT: The name is "Meta Softshell Jacket".
          _______________________________________

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "jjruhle@..." <jjruhle@...> wrote:

          > Hi guys,
          >
          > Thanks to Richard as my mentor, I now have a much improved OR. You will find it below. If you'd like the HTML version, it is at : http://tinyurl.com/MetaJacket
          >
          > Cheers!
          > Jeff
        • Jeff Ruhle
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2009
            Hey Kathy,

            Thanks for the edits. It is now posted if you want to see it.

            Cheers,
            Jeff

            PS - I am the one you met in the Super Shuttle from DIA in March, in case you forgot :-)

          • theMiddleSister@usaring.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 22, 2009
              Jeff,

              Hey! Talk about coincidence, me editing your review. Welcome! I will look forward to seeing you around here. Did you get the job?

              http://www.eset.com