REPOST: OR - Energizer 6 LED Headlamp - Jameson Ward

  • jameson_ward
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      Here is the link for my edited OR.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20En\
      ergizer%206%20LED%20Headlamp%20-%20Jameson%20Ward/
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20E\
      nergizer%206%20LED%20Headlamp%20-%20Jameson%20Ward/>

      Energizer 6 LED Headlamp

      Owner Review by Jameson Ward

      March 4, 2009

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Jameson Ward

      Age: 33

      Gender: Male

      Height: 5 feet 10 inches (1.8 meters)

      Weight: 195 pounds (88 kilograms)

      Email address: jameson_ward at yahoo dot com

      City, State, Country: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

      Backpacking Background: I've been camping and hiking as long as I
      can remember (at least since I was 4). Over the last two years,
      I've gotten back into backpacking; most trips are 2-3 days, though
      I'll throw in a week long trip. I tend to pack light, but don't
      consider myself a lightweight backpacker (I still enjoy some comforts).
      Most of my trips occur in the Southeastern U.S. and I try to vary
      terrain and surroundings as much as possible. Given the abundance of
      waterways in Florida I have at times used a kayak to reach remote
      trails.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Energizer

      Year of Manufacture: 2006

      Weight with batteries: 3.2 ounces (90.7 grams)

      Height: 1.9 inches (47 millimeters)

      Width: 2.9 inches (72 millimeters)

      Depth: 1.6 inches (39.4 millimeters)

      Battery Type: AAA (Energizer Alkaline included)

      Bulb Burn Time (Bulb Life): Lifetime

      Battery Burn Time (Battery Life): 50 hours on 2 LEDs

      Lamp Output: 12 – 24 Lumens

      Illumination Distance: None Listed

      The Energizer 6 LED Headlamp comes in a blister pack that includes the
      headlamp with an attached headstrap and (3) Energizer AAA Alkaline
      batteries. I think it may have also included a storage bag, but this
      has long since been misplaced as I don't use it and is therefore not
      included in this review. The ¾ inch (20 millimeters) elastic
      headstrap is adjustable and can be adjusted from a circumference of 17
      inches (432 millimeters) to 24 inches (610 millimeters). Since this
      headlamp is a few years old, the strap may have stretched some through
      use. The headlamp body is plastic and consists of two sections
      connected by a ratcheting hinge that allows adjustment of the beam
      angle. The first section, which rests against the head when in use, is
      the battery case. There is a bit of rubber foam padding on the back of
      the battery case where it rests against the forehead. The second
      section is the LED assembly which consists of six LEDs (two red LEDs,
      two white LEDs, and two white LEDs installed under focusing/magnifying
      lenses) and a push button switch. The hinge allows adjustment from 0
      degrees to 130 degrees.

      The 6 LED Headlamp uses (3) AAA batteries. The batteries are installed
      in the battery case by removing the rear cover. The cover is removed by
      prying it from the case, a quarter fits perfectly into the provided
      notch and works quite well, though I've used knives, keys,
      screwdrivers, and my spork with equal success. The headlamp is operated
      by a push button switch located on the top of the LED assembly. The
      switch is a bit difficult to operate (I tend to support the base of the
      unit with my thumb and press the switch with my index figure). I think
      the difficultly in operating the switch stems more from the covering
      over the switch rather than the switch itself.

      This headlamp features multiple lighting patterns (red, spot, flood, and
      spot/flood) that are accessed by pressing the switch and
      "scrolling" through the available patterns. My particular light
      switches on the two red LEDs with the first push of the switch. The
      next push of the switch turns off the red LEDs and turns on the spot
      light (the spot light consists of two LEDs mounted under focusing lenses
      that creates a concentrated beam). The next push of the switch turns
      off the spot light and turns on the flood light which consists of other
      two white LEDs. The fourth press of the switch turns on all four white
      LEDs (spot and flood). The fifth push of the button turns all LEDs off.
      I am aware of another version of this headlamp where the sequencing is
      spot, flood, spot/flood, and red LEDs, though I'm not sure how to
      tell them apart aside from turning them on and sequencing through the
      lights.

      It does not appear that the bulbs are user serviceable (being that they
      are LEDs, I don't see this as much of a concern). The unit does not
      appear to be water resistant, nor is it advertised as such.

      Field Conditions

      Over the last three years, I have used the Energizer 6 LED Headlamp for
      hiking and backpacking all over the Southeastern United States and
      Texas. It has been used at Amicalola Falls, Ocala National Forest,
      Spoil Islands along the Indian River, the Peace River, parts of the
      Smokey Mountains, Cherokee National Forest, Galveston Island, Goodwater
      Trail at Lake Georgetown, and Lost Maples. In addition, the headlamp
      has been used camping at Wekiwa Springs, Ginnie Springs, and other
      numerous campgrounds. It has also been put to use mountain biking,
      kayaking, and every day tasks around the house.

      Temperatures encountered have run from 30 F (-1.1 C) to 106 F (41.1 C).
      Humidity has ranged from below 10% to 100%. The headlamp has been used
      in the rain. It has been used at elevations from sea level to 6,500
      feet (1,981 meters).

      Review

      I originally purchased this particular headlamp for convenience (I like
      using a headlamp when cooking as the light always seems to be right
      where I need it) on a car camping trip that I had forgotten my regular
      headlamp. I have since used the 6 LED Headlamp on many outings and
      it's performed quite well (my previous headlamp is lacking the red
      LEDs). Though it's adequate for trail use, I prefer a brighter
      handheld flashlight for spotting blazes. I've even used it in a
      pinch when my bike headlight had gone out. Where this light shines,
      pardon the unintentional pun, is in and around camp when performing
      tasks where it's nice to have both hands free, such as setting up
      camp, cooking, reading, filtering water, answering nature's call,
      etc. When in the tent, I've found another convenient use by setting
      it on the battery pack and adjusting the LEDs to provide light where
      needed. I'm not sure the unit was designed for this use, but the
      battery pack provides a fairly stable base when used in this manner.

      The red LEDs are great for preserving night vision and not blinding
      anyone that may be around when the light is in use. I tend to use the
      red LEDs when in camp. I'll also use the red LEDs when nature calls
      in the middle of the night (as long as there isn't a need for better
      lighting) or when sharing my tent to avoid disturbing a tent mate while
      searching for something. The red LEDs are useable to 10 - 15 feet (3.05
      – 4.57 meters) and last approximate 72 hours on a single set of
      batteries.

      The spot light provides a nice focused beam of light that's useable
      to 30 feet (9.14 meters). This beam is handy for trail use, cooking, or
      any tasks that require direct lighting. I've heard some complain
      that light emitted from the protruding lens can reflect into their eyes
      when using this setting, I tend to wear the lamp high on my forehead and
      don't find this to be a problem. I have found that batteries will
      last approximately 47.5 hours in this mode.

      The flood light provides diffused light to an approximate useable range
      of 20 feet (6.1 meters). This setting provides more then enough light
      for reading and moving around in camp. I find the beam to be a bit
      brighter towards the center (this is probably due to the overlap of the
      two led beams), but it works quite well seeing that this is usually
      where my eyes are focused and the little bit of extra light is
      appreciated. Batteries tend to last 48 hours in this mode.

      The last setting is both the spot and flood lights at the same time. I
      tend not to use this setting much as I find that the spot light tends to
      overpower the flood lights and is not much different from the spotlight
      setting on its own. There is a slight increase in "peripheral"
      lighting, but I don't feel the very slight gain in lighting is worth
      the increased battery consumption of this setting, which is
      approximately 17.5 hours.

      Though this light could be used for signaling (by pressing the switch
      ½ way down, the light will turn off without switching modes), I feel
      the distance limitations and awkwardness of using the switch in a
      signaling mode would keep me from using it as such unless absolutely
      necessary.

      Even though I've experienced battery life close to Energizer's
      claims, I've found that the light quality degrades with the
      batteries. This was most noticeable when doing the battery run down
      testing (it's not as noticeable during field use). That being said,
      I find with general use, a set of batteries will last multiple outings
      (I've had batteries last over six months with fairly consistent
      use).

      Though this headlamp is not advertised as waterproof, or even water
      resistant for that matter, I have used it successfully in the rain. I
      just make sure I remove the batteries and allow the unit to dry when
      I'm done using it in such a condition. The headstrap does absorb a
      good bit of water, but depending on the conditions (I've found it to
      dry much quicker in less humid conditions for obvious reasons) it dries
      fairly quickly. I have even run this headlamp though a load of laundry
      (imagine my surprise when I opened the lid of the washer to see the
      bright light of the spot lights and the two red LED's staring up at
      me). I found the extreme exposure to water caused these four lights to
      stay on regardless of the switch position. I quickly removed the
      batteries and allowed it to dry on a window sill for a couple days. To
      my surprise, when I reinstalled the batteries in the headlamp it worked
      just fine (it took 5 days total, the spot lights turned off after 2 days
      and the red LEDs took an additional 3 to turn themselves off –
      I'm not sure if it was residual water causing them to light or what,
      but they all did eventually turn off). To date, I've noticed no
      long term effects from the washing. On the trail, this may have been
      more of a hassle as the batteries would have to be removed or
      reinstalled to operate the light and avoid draining them. When using
      this light in the rain, I attempt to protect it as best possible, but
      don't become overly concerned with slight exposure to water. I
      would not submerge or leave it out in the rain, but I think my
      experience speaks to the ability of this lamp to recover from such
      exposures.

      Over time, I've noticed the "ratcheting" mechanism of the
      hinge has worn some. The LED assembly will still hold its position once
      set, but it doesn't snap with the authority it once did. The lens
      is not scratch resistant, though I have not found the scratches to
      affect the light quality much. This lamp has been dropped many times
      both when lit and when turned off and the impacts haven't seemed to
      affect the bulbs. I don't believe it will hold up well to
      "crushing" impact such as sitting on it, and I've been
      fortunate so far to not have tested this assumption. Since day one, the
      plastic housing has seemed a bit flimsy though it seems to have held up
      well to regular use.

      Summary

      The 6 LED Headlamp has proven to be a worthwhile expense. Though there
      are better headlamps available I haven't come across one in this
      price range with such a variety of functions. Though originally
      purchased to fill a void created by forgetting my then regular headlamp,
      this headlamp has proven versatile and I find myself reaching for it on
      many occasions both around the house and while on the trail. I would
      definitely pick up another one for the price should this one ever fail.

      Things I like:

      1. Inexpensive 2. Battery life 3. Red LEDs to preserve night
      vision 4. Comfortable 5. Versatile

      Things I don't like:

      1. Not waterproof 2. Cheap plastic cases 3. Wear on
      ratcheting mechanism 4. Lack of a way to access the red LEDs only
      without lighting the bright LEDs. I would suggest a separate switch for
      the red LEDs or a slide switch with sequencing as red, off, spot, flood,
      spot/flood. Though this might become quite cumbersome.