Owner Review - Oakley Sunglasses

  • J Ball
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2009
      Oakley M Frame Sunglasses (sweep lens)
      Owner Review:
      Name:  J Ball
      Age: 33
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 10" (1.9 Meters)
      Weight: 220 Pounds (105 Kilograms)
      Email address: madjack56@...
      City, State, Country: Joint Base Balad, Iraq
      Date: March 30, 2009

      Backpacking Background:  I started backpacking a few years ago, in the
      Military, so I mostly take weekend trips.  I pack light and use gear
      that can double for many uses and climates.  I hike many different types
      of terrain from the steep short mountainous terrain of Korea, rocky
      terrain of Afghanistan, to the Colorado back country.  I encounter
      temperatures ranging from sub 0 to 130 plus.  My gear must be light
      versatile and WORK in any situation no matter the extreme.

      Product under review:
      Oakley M Frame sun glasses (sweep style lens);
      http://oakley.com/pd/2024/5418 Manufactured in 2003, I purchased this
      product in 2004 from the post exchange, Camp Casey, Korea.  Cost $79.00.
      This is a very lightweight stress resistant pair of glasses that gives a
      color as true as I've seen in any glasses.  Available in prescription
      (+2.00 to -4.00 with cylinder up to -2.00).

      Field Information:
      Soy son Mountain, Korea - High Humidity, hot, rainy
      Desert environment, Iraq - Extreme Hot, dry, sandy
      High Country Mountains, Colorado, US - moderate warm summer, cold winter

      I purchased the Oakley M Frame sweep lens glasses while stationed in
      Korea, this product is has been tested daily from the time of purchase,
      on several back packing trips in Korea, to snowboarding trips in the
      back country of Colorado, two trips to Iraq and in several other states
      while on motorcycle rides.  The quick exchange of clear lens and gray
      (smoke) allow for only one pair of glasses needed night and day.  Since
      June of 2004 until present I've worn this glasses and put them to the
      durability test, in 4.5 years I've bought two new replacement lens and
      one new set of earpiece covers.  The replacement lens were bought
      because of damaged caused during sand storms and convoy's in Iraq.  This
      product has ultimately saved my eyes from extreme environmental strains,
      from snow glare in Colorado and sand storms in Iraq.  There is no other
      product that can come close to the comfort, fit and durability of the
      Oakley M Frame (sweep lens).

      I have tested the Oakley M Frame (sweep lens) against Wiley X climate
      control which always fog up.  I have also tested against Wiley X
      classic, allowed too much air to flow up from the bottom of the lens
      causing irritation to eyes from sand or wind.  These are a daily user
      that WILL not be replaced.  Military Personnel can obtain through US
      Standard issue for Government and Military at a reduced rate through
      Oakley from the following web site: www.usstandardissue.com

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Kathleen Waters
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 15, 2009
          Hi, "J"!

          I have been assigned to edit your Owner's Review. This appears to be your
          very first review, so I tried to go easy on you! ;) Writing for BGT takes
          practice and you needn't be discouraged by the editing process.

          First off, I think it would be best for you to check in with the BGT mentoring program
          where eager volunteers will help you master the process of writing ORs,
          applying for tests and writing test reports. It's a great
          program and I really think it would be helpful for you to contact
          Jenn E at mentor@... before proceeding.

          If you would rather not use the mentoring program, I will work with
          you in a couple of steps. This post will give you some basic edits
          first. When you have made these initial edits (or contacted and
          worked with a mentor), I would like you to REPOST your OR to the
          list. When you repost, make sure that you have in the subject
          line "REPOST: Owner Review - Product Name - Your Name". Your name and
          the manufacturer's name always needs to be in
          the subject line for reviews, reports, edits, etc.

          Also, after the corrections, you need to upload your HTML file to the Owner
          Review test folder so I can check out your HTML. When you repost, you must
          put a link in the e-mail to that file location so I can view the uploaded
          file. Actually, the HTML file must always be uploaded to the OR Test folder and the URL of that file must be posted in your email text posting to the list.

          At that time, I'll check out the HTML and, if all is OK, give you the go ahead to upload. Please remember to use "REPOST" when you report the plain text of your corrected OR to the list.

          My list of edits follows. Let me know if you don't understand anything I've
          written.

          Conventionally the following terms are used in the editing process:
          *** EDIT: you must fix this to comply with BackpackGearTest standards
          [because the Editor says so!]
          *** Edit: you should seriously consider fixing this in some way [unless you
          seriously object with good reason]
          *** Comment: usually just that, although you might want to make a change of
          some sort as a result.

          I also suggest you read other Owner Reviews to see how other veterans format their reviews. Anything by Ray Estrella will do nicely as Ray has written well over 100 Owner Reviews! See his Maui Jim Ho okipa Sunglasses review at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Eye%20Protection/Sun%20Glasses/Maui%20Jim%20Ho%20okipa%20Sunglasses/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ray%20Estrella/ for example.

          Again, I can't stress enough the value of the Mentor Program.

          Lastly, I would like to personally thank you for serving our country and all that you do on a daily basis. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

          Kathy Waters
          BGT Owner Review Editor

          EDIT: Owner Reviews can allow for a writer's personal style but must adhere to some formatting elements. The heading of an OR looks like this:

          PRODUCT NAME
          by Your name
          OWNER REVIEW
          Date of Review

          Those are non-negotiable elements and should be highly visible and separated from the rest of the review.

          Underneath that is your personal information. The format you used is just fine. The other correction there would be in your measurements designations. If you are going to use abbreviations or symbols (in or ") in one place, you should use the same throughout (lb or kg).

          I started backpacking a few years ago, in the
          Military, so I mostly take weekend trips.
          EDIT: "Military" should not be capitalized here.

          I encounter temperatures ranging from sub 0 to 130 plus.
          EDIT: You always must have metric conversion for all temperatures. This should read "…from sub 0 F to 130 plus F (-18 C to 54 C)."

          Product under review:
          Oakley M Frame sun glasses (sweep style lens);
          http://oakley.com/pd/2024/5418 Manufactured in 2003, I purchased this
          product in 2004 from the post exchange, Camp Casey, Korea. Cost $79.00.
          This is a very lightweight stress resistant pair of glasses that gives a
          color as true as I've seen in any glasses. Available in prescription
          (+2.00 to -4.00 with cylinder up to -2.00).
          EDIT: The usual format for this section of the report is a list:

          Manufacturer: Oakley
          Year of Manufacture: 2003
          Manufacturer's Website: http://www.oakley.com (*** EDIT: YOU CAN ONLY USE THE ROOT LINK)
          MSRP: US$ N/A (*** EDIT: YOU CAN ONLY USE THE MANUFACTURER'S PRICING and must give the denomination suck as US$)
          Listed Weight: (*** EDIT: IF THE MANUFACTURER DOESN"T PROVIDE THIS, put N/A
          Measured Weight: (*** EDIT: THIS IS MANDATORY FOR ALL GEAR REVIEWS)
          Other details: This is a very lightweight stress resistant pair of glasses that gives a
          color as true as I've seen in any glasses. Available in prescription
          (+2.00 to -4.00 with cylinder up to -2.00). (*** EDIT: THIS IS WHERE YOU WOULD PUT THIS sort of information).

          EDIT: The next section would be a PRODUCT DESCRIPTION section where you – you guessed it! - describe the product. Explain what it looks like so the reader can picture it. How are the lenses shaped? What color are the lenses? What color is the frame? What is the composition of the frame? Are the ear pieces straight, curved? Etc. It wasn't until I glanced down at your field use and saw the lenses are changeable. That is the sort of information a reader needs to see in the Production Description.

          EDIT: In your FIELD USE AND CONDITIONS, you need to expand a bit. How easy are the lenses to change out? Do the frames cause sweating? Are the frames comfortable? Has the sand caused scratches to the frames and/or lenses? How rugged are the glasses? Have they survived crushing? These are the questions your Field Use and Conditions section should answer for readers. You certainly have put these glasses to the test in conditions most of us won't!

          I have tested the Oakley M Frame (sweep lens) against Wiley X climate
          control which always fog up. I have also tested against Wiley X
          classic, allowed too much air to flow up from the bottom of the lens
          causing irritation to eyes from sand or wind.
          EDIT: OR and test reports cannot mention another competitor by name. You can still get this information out by saying "The Oakley M Frame (sweep lens) don't fog up like some other glasses I've tried". Also, in an Owner Review, the word "tested" is not used so as to keep the reader from becoming confused with BGT sanctioned tests.

          Military Personnel can obtain through US
          Standard issue for Government and Military at a reduced rate through
          Oakley from the following web site: www.usstandardissue.com
          EDIT: You have to delete this sentence. ORs and test reports do not list buying information and the only web links that are allowed in a report are the manufacturer's root link and your own personal web page link which you can put in your signature, if you have one and would like to do so.

          COMMENT: I hope this posting is clear enough for you and that you will not be discouraged by this long post. I will look for your REPOST or notice you are going to use a mentor. GOOD LUCK AND STAY SAFE!