Attn Shawn Wakefield - Re: OWNER REVIEW - AntiGravityGear Alcohol Stove

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13 8:48 PM
      Hi Shawn,

      Welcome to BGT and thanks for your OR. Would you please clarify to the best of your ability how many nights you have used this stove in the field? Please add this info. to your report and then repost it with the word REVISED in the heading.

      I'll take a look and if you have enough use to meet our requirements I'll add it to the edit queue.

      Thank you.
      Edit Administration Manager
    • sjwakefield@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14 6:17 AM
        AntiGravityGear Alcohol Stove ( Pepsi-style)

        Reviewer Information

        Name: Shawn Wakefield
        Age: 39
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6' 0" (1.9 Meters)
        Weight: 165 Pounds (113 Kilograms)
        Email address: shawn[AT]wakefieldsoft[DOT]com
        City, State, Country: Tishomingo, OK, U.S.
        Date: March 5, 2009

        Backpacking Background: I started camping and backpacking about 25 years ago as
        a teenager in the Boy Scouts. I have more recently gotten very interested in
        backpacking again, and I really enjoy going lightweight now. My wife and I take
        frequent backpacking trips together, and our kids (all under 13) go
        occasionally. We like to hike in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas for short trips,
        but enjoy Wyoming and Colorado for longer trips.

        Product Information

        Manufacturer: AntiGravityGear
        Year of Manufacture: 2008
        Listed weight: 0.4 oz (11 g)
        Weight as delivered: .35 oz (10 g)
        Height: 1.65 in (42 mm)
        Width: 2.56 in (65 mm)
        MSRP: $12.00
        Material: Aluminum
        Color: Silver (some of soda can printing may still be visible)

        The stove comes by itself when ordered individually. If ordered as part of a
        kit, some optional accessories may be included. The basic shape looks like the
        bottom 1/3 of a soda pop can.

        The stove is an alcohol stove, designed to burn denatured alcohol. The stove
        has no moving parts, and is composed of 2 pieces that have been fitted and
        sealed together with epoxy and silver heat tape. The center of the stove is open
        on the top, and this is where the user pours up to 1 oz of denatured alcohol
        into the stove before lighting. On the outside of the stove, around the middle,
        are a series of pin sized holes – 24 in all. As the fuel warms and begins to
        vaporize, the side holes become jets where the burning fuel forms a ring around
        the stove.

        I have carried the stove on many trips over the last 9 months. It has been on
        multi-night backpacking trips, as well Boy Scout camping trips – since I am an
        adult leader (Scoutmaster). It has been used in light rain, under sunny skies,
        during the day, and at night. Since most of the trips were in the central US,
        elevations were all less than 3000 feet during my use of the stove. I have used the stove approximately 8 nights in the field, and has been used to heat water for approximately 25 meals.

        The stove is simple, so it works the same and works well every time. I typically
        need to boil 2 cups of water at a time. I first fill my 0.9L pot with 2 cups
        (0.47 L) of water and cover it with the lid. Next, I set the stove on the
        optional primer tray (0.3 oz / 8 g). I put a few drops of fuel in the primer
        tray around the base of the stove, then I pour 1 oz (30 ml) of fuel into the
        middle of the stove. Next, light the stove and the primer tray. It takes about
        20 seconds for the stove to get hot enough to vaporize the fuel and for the jets
        to light around the outside of the stove. Once the outside jets have ignited, I
        place the pot of water directly centered over the stove. Since the pot rests on
        the stove top, no pot holder or other support is necessary.

        On a warm day, with temperatures around 60 F (16 C), it takes about 5 minutes to
        boil 2 cups (0.47 L) of water with the 1 oz (30 ml) of fuel. Obviously on warmer
        or cooler days, or with very cold water, these burn times would change slightly.

        I always boil water in my cook pot, and then mix meals in a Ziploc bag, so I
        don't need to simmer or cook on low heat. This stove is on or off, there is not
        an adjustment for the flame or heat output.

        The only real issue that I found was related to stability. If your cook pot is
        very large, then you have to be careful to balance it carefully on top of the
        center of the stove. It would not take much of a nudge to dump your pot off onto
        the ground.

        The primer tray is not necessary, but gives the stove some stability. Also, have
        a few drops of fuel in the primer trays, helps the stove's side jets to ignite
        more quickly. As with any stove, a windscreen will improve the efficiency and
        help the stove to perform better.

        Since the stove is constructed of 2 nested soda cans, durability is quite good.
        I carry my stove in a small plastic container that came in the Stove Set from
        AntigravityGear. This protects the stove, and fits nicely into my cook pot.

        Often, the simplest solution is the best, and I think that is certainly the case
        with this lightweight stove from AntiGravityGear.

        Summary

        The alcohol stove from AntiGravityGear is a lightweight stove that burns
        denatured alcohol. It is easy to setup and use, and it does not have any moving
        parts to break or wear out. I don't think you could ask for anything more for
        heating water.

        Things I like:
        1. Lightweight
        2. Low cost
        3. Compact

        Things I don't like:
        1. Stability not great with a large pot
        2. Can't simmer or slow cook (might be an issue for some)
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20 8:51 PM

          Thank you Shawn. It has been added to the Owner Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. If you are new to BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get your first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Do not worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let me know directly at jdeben(at)hotmail.com

          Edit Administration Manager