Repost- Owner Review- Victorinox camping knife-Keith

  • keithmitch81
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2009
      Hi, the link to the test folder is here:http://tinyurl.com/bghl6r
      <http://tinyurl.com/bghl6r>  Below is the test copyThanks!Keith
      Victorinox "Camping" KnifeOwner ReviewMarch 1, 2009Name: Keith
      MitchellAge: 27Gender: MaleHeight: 6 ft (183 cm)Weight: 175 lb (79.3
      kg)Email: RkeithATpshiftDOTcomCity: BendState: OregonCountry: United
      Hiking Background:I grew up hiking in the Green Mountains of northern
      Vermont, Where every conceivable form of inclement weather is tolerated.
      Now I live in central Oregon and hike where the weather is nice and the
      woods relatively bug free! I'd like to be a lightweight
      backpacker...but refuse to compromise my comfort for a few pounds. I use
      a tarp/ bivy sack when backpacking solo and a Jumbo dome tent and tons
      of luxury when car camping with my wife and dog.
      Product Details:Victorinox Swiss Army Camping KnifeNow sold as
      "Camper" knifeManufacturer: VictorinoxManufacturer URL:
      www.victorinox.com <www.victorinox.com>  Listed length: 3.58 inches
      (91 mm) Verified AccurateWidth: .875 inches (22.2 mm)Thickness: .63
      inches (16 mm)Listed Weight: N/AMeasured weight: 3 oz (85 grams)Blades
      and tools are stainless steelRed plastic handle is made of
      CellidorLifetime WarrantyMSRP: N/A
      This knife is a little bigger than a large BIC lighter but much heavier.
      It has an embossed logo and model name on the side of the rounded red
      handle which I find quite comfortable to hold. It has a key ring and 12
      tools sturdily packed into the body so that no tool pokes out or is
      uncomfortable to hold while not in use. The tools are as follows: large
      blade, small blade, corkscrew, can opener, small screwdriver, bottle
      opener, large screwdriver, wire stripper, punch/reamer (the camper has a
      thread hole in this blade), wood saw, tweezers and toothpick. Field
      Use:In thinking of the field conditions I've used this knife in,
      I'm reminded of the fact that I've had this knife for almost 20
      years. And as it was my very first knife, it's taken a lot of abuse.
      I grew up camping with this knife, it's been dropped in the mud,
      water, and snow. I've built childhood forts with it, and used it in
      10 below zero conditions and traveled from sea level to 11,000 ft (3,353
      m) with this knife in my pocket.
      All the tools have been used thoroughly and every tool has functioned
      very well. The only part I have yet to use is the wire stripper. The
      blades are high quality stainless steel, so they hold a very sharp edge
      for a very long time, I've probably only given this knife 4 or 5
      tune-ups in its 20 year life! The saw (the teeth resemble a mini Sierra
      saw in design) works very well but is restricted by its 2.875 in (7.3
      cm) blade. The large straight blade is a nice size for cutting food and
      doing kitchen work, while the small 1.5 in (3.8 cm) blade is the one I
      use for cutting rope and non-kitchen stuff. At some point, I lost the
      toothpick which may or may not have been the fault of the tool. The red
      plastic handles have many superficial scratches and dings, but are
      otherwise undamaged. A friend broke the small screwdriver tip off of the
      can opener in an act of stupidity involving the use of my tool to turn a
      huge screw, this huge screw, did in fact break the tip off (take note:
      this tool is not invincible); As of now, I have not tried to send it
      back to Victorinox for repair. With no rust, no wobbling blades or
      broken handles this knife has been working for me longer than any other
      piece of camping equipment I own. A few of the blades have a bit of
      stiffness opening and closing, but otherwise the whole package functions
      the same today as it did almost 20 years ago.
      Durable construction, plus durable materials, equals durable product.
      Outstanding multi-tool that has functioned well for most of my life and
      looks a though it will keep on going.The only other tool I could want on
      this knife would be the scissors, if I ever lose this knife I will
      replace it with the Victorinox Hunstsman which has the scissors.