REVISED OR- BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL EVOLUTION 1P 1D rev. G SHELTER- RALPH DITTON

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2009
      Dear Mystery Editor,

      Here is a revised effort for your consideration so kindly disregard my
      earlier effort.

      The text version is below and the test folder can be accessed at:

      http://tinyurl.com/dhkeu4

      Best

      Ralph

      BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL EVOLUTION 1P 1D rev.G SHELTER

      OWNER REVIEW BY RALPH DITTON

      DATE: 27th February, 2009

      Summit Evolution 1P 1D 1V Shelter

      Big Sky Evolution 1P 1D Shelter

      Personal Information

      Name: Ralph Ditton

      Age: 56

      Gender: Male

      Height: 1. 76 m (5 ft 9 in)

      Weight: 71 kg (156.5 lb)

      Email: rdassetts at optusnet dot com dot au

      City: Perth. Western Australia. Australia

      Backpacking Background

      My playgrounds are the Bibbulmun Track and the Coastal Plain Trail. I

      aim to become a sectional end-to-end walker of the Bibbulmun Track. I am

      nearly there as it is 964 km (603 mi) long. My pack weight including

      food and water tends to hover around 18 kg (40 lb) but I am trying to

      get lighter. My trips range from overnighters to five days duration.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Big Sky International - Jackson, Wyoming - USA

      Manufacturers website: http://www.bigskyinternational.com/

      <http://www.bigskyproducts.com/>

      Year of Manufacture: 2007

      Made in: Product of USA sewn in China.

      Batch: T07H006

      Model: Evolution 1P 1D rev. G Shelter

      Colour: Granite Grey

      Sleeping capacity: 1

      Number of poles: 2

      Pole choice: Aluminium or Carbon

      Aluminium poles: 7075 - T9 Easton main tube 8.74 mm (0.344 in)

      7075 - T9 Easton insert tube 7.07 mm

      (0.303 in)

      Tensile strength of aluminium pole: 67 Kg/mm² (96,000 PSI)

      Rainfly fabric: 30 D Silnylon

      Inner fabric: No-see-um mesh

      Floor fabric: 30 D Silnylon

      ShelterSavers ground sheet with webbing tie straps

      Factory seamed sealed: yes

      Door: 1

      Zips: 2 YKK on the inner and 1 YKK on the fly.

      MSRP: Shelter with aluminium poles only: US$249.95

      Shelter with a set of carbon and aluminium poles: US$349.95

      Carbon Poles only: US$100

      ShelterSavers ground sheet without grommets: US$14.95

      Listed Measurements

      Shelter without accessories + carbon poles : 916 g (2 lb 0.3 oz)

      Shelter without accessories + aluminium poles : 1. 05 kg (2 lb 4.9 oz)

      Pole diameter: Aluminium 8.74 mm (0.344 in)

      Carbon 7.42 mm (0.292 in)

      Floor length and tapered width dimensions: 213 cm x 91 cm x 61 cm (84 in

      x 36 in x 24 in)

      ShelterSaver length and tapered width dimensions: 200 cm x 79 cm x 53

      cm (79 in x 31 in x 21 in)

      Peak height: 99 cm (39 in)

      Floor area: 1.62 sq m (17.5 sq ft)

      Vestibule area: 0.84 sq m (9 sq ft)

      Packed size: 13 cm x 48 cm (5 in x 19 in)

      Accessories: 2 Easton aluminium stakes and 6 Ti Stakes kit: 77g (2.7 oz)

      4 reflective spectra guy lines with 4 Easton

      aluminium stakes kit: 61 g (2.1 oz)

      My Measurements

      Weights

      Weight of Rainfly: 342 g (12.06 oz)

      Weight of Inner: 376 g (13.26 oz)

      Weight of Aluminium poles: 338 g (11.92 oz)

      Weight of Carbon poles: 216 g (7.61 oz)

      Weight of repair sleeve: 8 g (0.28 oz)

      Weight of stuff sack: 35 g (1.23 oz)

      Weight of ShelterSaver ground sheet with webbing tie straps: 74 g (2.6 oz)

      Weight of shelter without accessories + aluminium poles:1 kg 56 g (2.33 lb)

      Weight of shelter without accessories + carbon poles : 934 g (2.05 lb)

      Weight of shelter in my backpack with aluminium poles and the two above

      stake and guy line kits: 1 kg 198 g (2.64 lb)

      Lengths

      Length of tent poles fully extended: Aluminium 3m 615 mm (11 ft 10½ in)

      Carbon 3m 630mm (11 ft 11 in)

      Length of each pole section: Aluminium 445 mm (1 ft 5½ in)

      Carbon 457 mm (1 ft 6 in)

      Repair sleeve : 126 mm (5 in) long

      Floor area inside inner: 213 cm (long) x 91 cm (head end) x 61 cm (foot

      end) (84 in x 36 in x 24 in)

      Inner door: 109 cm long x 80 cm high (43 in x 31.5 in)

      Peak height inside inner: 1 m (39 in)

      Pocket in inner at the head end: 55 cm long (base) x 19.5 cm high x 38.5

      cm opening x 21 cm (21.6 in x 7.6 in x 15 in x 8.3 in)

      Pocket in inner at foot end: 51 cm long (base) x 27 cm high x 35.5 cm

      opening x 32 cm (20 in x 10.6 in x 14 in x 12.5 in)

      Packed size:

      Diameters

      Diameter of repair sleeve: 9 mm (3/8 in) inside

      11 mm (7/16 in) outside

      Diameter of tent poles: Aluminium 8 mm (6/16 in)

      Carbon 7 mm (5/16 in)

      Area

      Roughly measured for each vestibule area: 0.79 sq m (8½ sq ft)

      Miscellaneous

      Number of pole sections per tent pole: 9

      Internal loops in Inner: 7

      Product Description

      The Big Sky Evolution 1P 1D rev. G shelter is a one person,

      free-standing, one door, one vestibule shelter with an inner and a

      rainfly. In fact, there is a de facto vestibule also on the non-door side.

      Due to the cut of the rainfly (hereinafter known as "fly") there is an

      excess of material that requires the fly to be stretched out and pegged.

      This created the de facto vestibule which is the same in area as the

      legitimate vestibule on the door side.

      To gain access and put items in there, I have to lift the stake loop

      over the tent peg and lift the fly up. When finished, I just slip the

      stake loop back over the tent peg. There is no zippered access to it.

      (Note. Big Sky does offer a 2 Door version with door and vestibule

      zippers on both sides. The 2 Door version has two vents and four

      pockets. The 2 Door version is US$15 more and adds 104 g (3.6 oz) to the

      weight. The manufacturer advised me that the reason for the design

      decision is that in most cases those purchasing the 1 Door version want

      light weight so it has fewer features that add weight, for example: it

      has two pockets, while those purchasing the 2 Door version want more

      features, so it has 4 pockets.)

      A) The fly.

      The colour of the fly is Granite Grey and the material is silnylon, but

      to me it looks like a very light olive green and I find that it is a

      very pleasing colour.

      There are four plastic/nylon type material dog clips that clip onto the

      respective loops on the inner. There is one on each corner. Two at one

      end of the fly are attached to red strips of material that are sewn to

      the edge of the fly. The other two clips at the other end are attached

      to black strips. This is the colour coding to match the fly to the inner

      as there are red and black strips on the corners there also.

      There are four cord tie down points around the perimeter of the fly.

      They are all halfway on each side.

      The door entry runs vertically from the base to the vent at the top.

      Underneath the flap covering the zipper there are two small patches of

      hook and loop, one at the bottom and the other about halfway. So when I

      go to open the fly I have to break apart these two patches so that the

      fly can be opened for me to get in and out of. The zipper pulls are

      yellow cord with a reflective strip woven into them. There is one for

      the outside and one for the inside of the tent.

      At the top of the fly there is a vent that can be propped open by a

      little rod covered in silnylon that has a foot of loop that marries up

      with a patch of hook on the other edge of the vent. The vent can only be

      opened so far because there is a strip of black ribbon that is attached

      to both sides of the vent.

      Along the four outside edges where the poles go behind, there are

      reflective guy line loop about halfway along. On the door side

      immediately above these reflective guy line loops there is a toggle

      which marries up with a loop on the underside to keep the door open when

      rolled back.

      The fly is further secured to the poles by way of a wrap around hook and

      loop system. They are around halfway along the stand up sewn seams.

      The final piece de resistance is the "Egyptian Eye" window sewn and seam

      sealed into the fly. It is 24 cm long and at the highest point 10 cm

      (9.5 in x 4 in). At certain spots along the seam I can see where the

      seam sealing brushwork was a bit dodgy as it has intruded onto the

      window from between a half and full brush width of 8 mm (0.3 in). The

      bottom edge is the one mostly affected.

      B) The inner.

      The tub floor is made out of silnylon and is navy blue in colour. The

      height of three of the sides are 17 cm (6.7 in) and the head end is 24

      cm (9.4 in).

      From the four corners of the tub floor are two strips of material that

      are joined to a piece of webbing that has a grommet and elastic loop.

      The grommet hole is for the end of the tent pole to hook into and the

      webbing is an anchor point for a tent peg. When stretched out fully the

      straps form a triangle with the side of the tub floor forming the

      vertical base. At the foot end, two of the straps are red for the colour

      coding match up with the fly.

      Stitched to the tub is a canopy made of no-see-um mesh. Attached to the

      outside of the canopy along the seams that run diagonally from corner to

      corner are the pole clips that hook onto the tent poles. There are

      fourteen of them. At the very apex, instead of a pole clip there is a

      loop and buckle. This is where the poles cross over. Just like on the

      fly and in the same position, there are four reflector guy line loops

      that serve a purpose when the inner is being used only.

      The door is quite generous in size. It is 80 cm (31.5 in) high and 109

      cm (43 in) long at the deepest part.

      The end that opens is gently curved. The two door zippers have two

      reflective zipper pull loops attached to them. One for the inside and

      the other for the outside operations.

      Inside the tent there are two pockets whose dimensions are mentioned

      above under "Lengths". They are both on the door side of the canopy.

      There are seven accessory hanging loops along the seams. Four of them

      are clustered in such a way that they are anchor points for a gear loft.

      There is one loop that is at the very apex of the canopy and the other

      two are located 40 cm (15.7 in) above the tub line at the head end for

      hanging a light or attaching a clothes line.

      To hold the rolled open door together, there is a toggle and loop

      arrangement to facilitate this.

      C) Fabric

      I contacted the manufacturer to find out the denier of the silnylon, the

      weight of the fabric per square metre and tear strength. I was advised

      that the nylon is 30 denier with silicone coating on both sides. The

      manufacturer does not give out the exact weight of the fabric per square

      metre expressed as g/m² (grams per square metre) nor tear strength.

      However, the manufacturer advises that the material is light weight and

      strong or stronger than similar fabric used in other shelters on the

      market.

      In addition I asked if the floor has a very high puncture and abrasion

      resistance. The response was that they use the strongest nylon yarn in

      their fabric for strength and abrasion resistance.

      Changes/New Features

      I have an earlier rev. B version of this tent and there are a number of

      alterations and new features in the "Improved" rev. G version.

      The differences are set out below:

      OLD

      NEW

      Fly

      Weight 392 g (13¾ oz)

      342 g (12¼ oz)

      Vent No strap across the base.

      Strap across the base.

      Window Larger. 26.5 cm x 12 cm (10.4 in

      x 4.7 in) Smaller 24 cm x 10 cm (9.5 in x 4 in)

      Weather flap over Opens to the left.

      Opens to the right.

      doorway zipper

      Stake out points No loops at halfway point at base

      on Loops at halfway point at base on all four sides.

      front and rear.

      Vestibules One.

      Two.

      Tent pole set up Grommets at each corner for the

      Clips at each corner that clip onto the inner.

      pole tips to lock into.

      Inner

      Weight 464 g (1 lb 3/8 oz)

      376 g (13¼ oz)

      Tent pole set up Two pole sleeves.

      Fourteen pole clips.

      Pockets Two. One the same size as in the

      Two. One the same as in the old version. The other pocket

      new version. The other

      is a very large is very much smaller. Both on the same side.

      triangular pocket. On

      alternate sides.

      Total weight fly and inner 856 g (1 lb 14.2 oz)

      718 g (1 lb 9.3 oz)

      Note: rev G is

      138 g (4.9 oz) less weight than rev. B

      Field Information

      My first trip with this tent was for two days and one night and took

      place on the Bibbulmun Track around the Murray River campsite.

      Temperatures during the hike ranged from 28 C to 33 C (82 F to 91 F).

      Humidity I estimated was around 70% judging by the amount sweat on my

      clothes. Elevations ranged from 143 m to 280 m (467 ft to 919 ft). The

      Ultra Violet Index peaked at 9 which is very high.

      During the evening when I went to bed around 8.30 pm I estimated the

      temperature to be about 18 C (64 F). I had the tent door on the fly

      zippered closed and the vent open. I did not leave the tent during the

      night, but when I got up at 6 am I noticed that there was a light mist

      present.

      I checked under the fly and sure enough, there was a very thin film of

      condensation that left a track in it when I drew my finger through it.

      When I was packing up the tent I gave the fly a good few flicks but did

      not notice any moisture flying away from the fabric.

      I was impressed with the two vestibules. I utilized both of them and the

      lifting up of the tent peg loop over the tent peg to gain access to the

      gear did not irritate my emotional well being. I had to go back and

      forth getting stuff as the afternoon progressed. Yes, I could have left

      the vestibule collapsed until I went to bed, but I liked the look of it

      fully pegged out.

      There were a lot of flies and very small biting insects but they did not

      gain access to the interior of the inner canopy although they buzzed and

      crawled around on the outside of the no-see-um mesh. I had a very sound

      sleep.

      My next trip was over the Easter break at Greens Island in the south

      west of Western Australia.

      This was a four day, three night camp out. I found a nice spot to pitch

      the tent just under a low hanging pine tree branch.

      For the first two nights it rained but not heavily. Just a steady patter

      on the tent fabric which was very soothing to listen to.

      Temperatures overnight averaged around 10 - 12 C (50 - 54 F). I had the

      vent open on all nights and no rain entered through it. Due to the high

      humidity and relatively still nights I was very surprised to find that

      there was no condensation inside on the fly, nor did the no-see-um mesh

      feel damp.

      The window was not much help as it was fogged over from the rain. On the

      morning when it did not rain overnight the window looked opaque and I

      couldn't see too much through it.

      During the day little ants tried to get inside the tent. All that they

      succeeded in doing was to craw all over the fly. I sprayed the fly

      fabric with my personal insect repellent which has the active ingredient

      of picaridin. It is tropical strength at 14.25%. I sprayed the tent on

      all three days. No damage was suffered by the fabric.

      When I got home, I washed the fly in warm water only to clean off the

      spray and dirt that had adhered to it after being wet. The rain beaded

      well on the fabric.

      The next trip was to the Granite Monolith area south of Perth. This was

      an overnighter. The overnight temperature from 7 pm to 6 pm when it was

      dark ranged from a high of 18 C (64 F) to a low of 12 C (53 F). Relative

      Humidity was stuck around 88% and it was very still with a clear sky.

      What this meant was that there was condensation on the tent even before

      I went to bed. Everyone's tent was wet before they got into theirs as we

      all commented about it.

      Needless to say, condensation also formed on the inside and where the

      inner touched against the fly it got wet. Some moisture did fall onto my

      sleeping bag but did not affect the down due to the waterproofing

      material of the sleeping bag.

      I did not have the choice of a large area to pitch the tent as the

      ground was sloping and had a lot of spiky short bushes. When I put my

      hand down on the ground it got pricked by very tiny little spikes like

      the very fine hairs from a blister bush. I swept the ground as best as I

      could.

      I did not carry a ground sheet so the floor of the tent went directly

      onto the ground. My sleeping bag and mat fitted very well inside the

      tent without either end touching the ends. This prevented the inner

      being pushed up against the fly and getting wet there. I placed my

      backpack in the de facto vestibule and the pack touched against the fly

      and it got wet where it touched. Moisture did not penetrate inside the

      pack. In the morning when I was packing up I noticed that a little bush

      had managed to puncture the floor, leaving a tiny pinprick of a hole. As

      the fly was very wet I flicked as much water off it as I could when

      packing up. In the process I got a good drenching also.

      Summit Evolution 1P 1D 1V Shelter

      Big Sky Evolution 1P shelter

      Upon returning home I washed the tent in plain luke warm water to clean

      it up as dirt had stuck to the floor.

      After this trip I purchased the new ground sheet designed for this model

      tent. It is called "ShelterSavers ground sheet" The model that I

      purchased does not have any grommets to hook onto the pole tips. Mine

      has coloured tapes which indicate which end they tie to. They match up

      with the colour coding straps on the inner. The ground sheet is tapered

      to match the base of the tent; wide at the head and narrow at the foot end.

      ShelterSaver ground sheet

      ShelterSaver ground sheet

      The photo below shows the tie for the ground sheet. The red tie matches

      the red strap so I have the ground sheet at the right end.

      ties on ground sheet

      ties on ground sheet

      On my next outing to the Coastal Plain where elevations range from 20 m

      to 80 m (65 ft to 197 ft) and the soil is very sandy. The trip lasted

      three nights and it rained on the last night whilst I was inside the

      tent. Overnight temperatures over the three nights ranged from a low of

      0.3 C to a high of 10.8 C (32.5 F to 51.5 F). (Source. Bureau of

      Meteorology).

      When I erected the tent, I noticed that the window had a patchy milky

      look. I tried rubbing it with a cloth and tissues, all to no avail. It

      would appear that the plastic of the window has been "bruised" in places

      thereby causing the milky appearance. I have notified the manufacturer.

      The polyurethane material (PU) is very soft and pliable in my fingers,

      whereas on the old version the polyvinylchloride (PVC) material is

      stiffer and is still very clear.

      window with milky look

      window with milky look

      The orange colour seen through the window is my sleeping bag.

      I heard back from the manufacturer very quickly who asked that I send

      the fly back to them so that they could examine the window and replace

      it with a clear window.

      After a few weeks the fly was returned with a new window. There is no

      cloudiness at all in the new window. I was extremely pleased with the

      turn around time and quick response to my problem. The only expense that

      I suffered was the postage cost to America which came in around AU$10.

      As this tent is a single person tent, there is not a lot of room left

      inside after putting my sleeping mat and sleeping bag inside. I always

      place a relatively full clothing stuff sack behind my pillow so that it

      fills the gap between the end of my mat and the wall of the tent so that

      the pillow does not end up on the floor of the tent during the night.

      looking inside the tent

      looking inside the tent

      During the course over the three nights I only experienced a very thin

      film of condensation on the underside of the fly for two of those

      nights. The first night and the last night. The Dew Point got close to

      the temperature on a few occasions. The first night the Dew Point was

      0.2 C (32 F) and the temperature was 1.5 C (35 F) at 1 am. The closest

      the Dew Point got on the second night was 2.7 C (37 F) when the

      temperature was 5.1 C (41 F) at 10 pm. The final night was when it

      rained. The Dew Point was 9 C (48 F) and the temperature was 10.7 C (51

      F) at 6 am whilst the humidity was 94%.

      The fly was very wet on the outside surface so I had to flick off as

      much water as I could before packing the tent away. I packed the inner

      away separately as I did not want to get it wet also.

      rain on fly

      rain on fly

      Subsequent outings have been to my favourite retreat at Prickly Bark on

      the Coastal Plain Trail where I love to go and chill out. There is a

      three sided shelter at the campsite but I prefer the tent as it offers

      protection from the flies, wasp and ticks that inhabit the area.

      Yes, I have had condensation issues on cool, dew laden still nights, but

      I have experienced this problem with other tents also, so it is not a

      fault of the tent. This comes with camping in a tent because hot air

      from a person's breath and body heat from the head and face will react

      with the cool air inside a tent and start to warm up the interior

      causing the condensation.

      Summary

      I have had this tent for over a year now and have used it extensively

      during the year at various locations in Western Australia.

      The performance has been excellent and I love the size of the vestibule

      space on the door side and the de facto vestibule on the other side

      which is created when the fly is pegged out. It is a good place to store

      my backpack and boots so that they are out of the way as I don't use

      them whilst in camp. I always have camp boots/shoes for around camp and

      they live in the vestibule on the door side together with my cooking

      gear, stove, fuel, pot and eating utensils.

      I alternate between the carbon and aluminium poles just to give them

      both equal usage.

      Recently, I used the older rev. B version to see if I missed it and yes

      I did as I love them both. What I would love to see is the larger pocket

      on the older version incorporated in the newer version. I doubt that

      there would be any weight gain. The larger pocket is great for placing a

      damp shirt in the pocket to assist with drying during the night.

      What type of pole assembly do I prefer? Pole sleeves or clips? On

      balance, probably the clips. It is definitely much easier to erect and

      pull down using the clips. With the pole sleeve, the pole tip is

      scraping along the top of the pole sleeve when it reaches the top of the

      tent and then starts to bend over to go down the other side. I have to

      be careful that I do not punch or wear a hole through the sleeve and I

      have to assist it in the latter stages of feeding it through the sleeve

      as it can bunch up.

      The follow up service by the manufacturer was excellent and this speaks

      volumes about them caring for their product.