Owner Review - Arc'teryx Men's Fugitive Hoody

  • Matthew Mioduszewski
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 2:58 PM
      ARC'TERYX - FUGITIVE HOODY MENS
      BY MATT MIODUSZEWSKI
      OR
      February 28, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Matt Mioduszewski
      EMAIL: Mattanuska AT gmail DOT com
      AGE: 26
      LOCATION: Portland, Oregon
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 140 lb (63.50 kg)

      I have done small weekend trips in Michigan, in addition to a 5 month
      section hike on the AT in 2007. After this I moved to Portland, OR and
      frequently hike in the Columbia River Gorge and OR and WA, Cascades. I
      generally do day hikes, and weekend over nighters, with 5-15 lbs (2.3 - 6.8
      kg), but carry 25-30 lbs (11.3 - 13.6 kg) on multi-day trips. I enjoy doing
      steep climbs, 2000-5000 ft (610 - 1524 m) over 1 to 4 miles (1.6 to 6.4 km)
      of distance. I have begun to do winter hiking with traction devices,
      snowshoeing, and will be taking a basic mountaineering course in the spring
      of 2009.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: ARC'TERYX
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Manufacturer's Website: <<http://www.arcteryx.com>>
      MSRP: US$250
      Listed Weight: 15 oz (426 g)
      Measured Weight: 15.5 oz (440 g) (size small)
      Other details:

      This a lightweight, full zip, hooded fleece made of Polartec® Wind Pro® with
      Hardface® Technology. This hoody has a very minamalist design. The fleece
      itself is very thin. It is a form-fitting cut fleece with two hand zips, a
      soft-chin guard, scuba-style hood, and a short waist. The sleeve cuffs,
      bottom, and hood all have piping at thier edge. The two front hand zip
      pockets have mesh backs.

      Polartec® Wind Pro® is a form of fleece that better blocks wind, and
      Hardface Technology is a "finish" on the fleece that gives it a smoothed,
      snag resistant property. Close inspection reveals a micro-waffle-like
      texture. Arc'teryx states that the Fugitive Hoody has mild water
      repellency. It is not clarified if this is from the Hardface Technology or
      a DWR (Durable Water Repellent).

      available in:
      Sizes: S, M, L, XL
      Colors: Black, Cactus (Green), Shitake (Brown)

      FIELD USE

      This hoody was originally purchased to use both in urban and back country
      settings. This hoody has been used in Michigan, Oregon, and along the
      Appalachian Trail. I have used the Fugitive Hoody in all four seasons. In
      the heat of summer it has been worn without a t-shirt underneath, and in the
      dead of winter I have used it as a 3rd layer, and under a 4th layer. I can
      verify it has been worn (with and without layers) in a temperature range of
      18 to 80 F (-7.77 to 26.7 C).

      For use on the Appalachian Trail, this was my main 'warmth' option while in
      camp and for hiking when it was cool or cold. I also used it on a few
      occasions for bug protection when it was warm out. It was frequently used
      as a pillow, as well. The Fugitive Hoody was very functional for these uses
      for a variety of reasons. First of all, at 15.5 oz (440 gm) it was
      relatively light. Secondly, it was very compressible, taking up a small
      volume for a fleece. Thirdly, as it is form fitting, very thin material, it
      is also highly breathable, with superior wicking properties, which allowed
      me to wear it with a backpack on. Forth, it has mild water repellency,
      suitable for very light rain or mist, the "after" rain that drops from trees
      long after showers have stopped, and dew or rain that one may come into
      contact with when pushing through brush, trees, or tall fields. Fifth, it
      is very soft! it feels good on bare skin and it rides over layers very
      well. Sixth, and finally, it dries very quickly.

      This versatility allowed the Fugitive to work well over a wide temperature
      range, as at warmer temperatures with more sweating, it breathed, wicked,
      and dried quickly and at colder temperatures still performed these tasks,
      but at the same time provided necessary warmth. I found it's use to be
      excellent for the situations when it was mildly wet and cool out, yet a full
      rain coat was overkill. I specifically find that I use it when doing long
      declines, after a day hike with lots of elevation gain, because it gives the
      appropriate warmth when less body heat is being generated, and isn't too
      bulky to wear under my backpack. It is also worth noting that after
      multiple days on the Appalachian Trail without a shower, this hoody did not
      seem to hold body odors very much. I have found some synthetic materials to
      wreak body oder after a short time of wear, but this is not one of those
      items.

      The water repellency is not something I would depend upon in continued
      exposure to rain, snow, or heavy mist. It is sufficient for short durations
      of these types of precipitation, if they are light. That said, under light
      conditions, the water repellency works great, water does bead up and roll
      off the Fugitive Hoody. Wind protection is also light, but better than a
      regular fleece. However, in any significant wind, other options would
      probably be desired, as a moderate wind easily cuts through it. I will
      provide more details on it's wind blocking properties in the next paragraph
      when I describe it's winter use.

      In Oregon I have used this Hoody similarly to how I used it on the
      Appalachian Trail, with the addition of winter use. As a 3rd layer winter
      use, above a silk/fine merino base layer and a patagonia capilene 3 mid
      layer, it has performed great during snowshoeing. It's wicking, fast drying
      properties make it excellent for warmth for winter time aerobic activity. I
      especially enjoy using the hood for basic neck, head, ears, and chin wind
      protection and warmth. That said, when I have stopped snowshoeing for a few
      minutes, the Fugitive Hoody does relatively little to stop a cold winter
      wind. So, while this lack of windproofing is great while aerobically
      snowshoeing and sweating a lot, it is not when stopped in cold
      temperatures. The impact of changing from this "wind blocking" to a nearly
      "wind proof" shell was stark. However, I do not consider this to be a
      weakness of the Hoody, as it is a light hoody and never intended as a
      serious winter shell. I have used it as a 3rd layer with a heavy winter 4th
      layer, though that was for warm only, and I think it's thinness was more of
      an asset in gaining warmth with 4 layers, than was it's actual
      warmth/insulating properties.

      One caveat I have found with winter use that I do not encounter during other
      seasons is that the zipper is difficult to operate when using heavy gloves.
      Getting the zipper going is fine, but getting it zipped up to below the chin
      with one hand is nearly impossible. The small chin-guard of brushed, very
      soft fleece seems to get hung up on the zipper at the top. I have had to
      use both hands to get the zipper zipped to the top. I do not believe I
      encountered this in other seasons because I have rarely felt the need to zip
      it to the very top.

      Worthy of note about the "Hardface Technology" is that after close to 1000
      miles (1600 km) of wear, it has few, if any snags or pilling in the
      material. I have not hesitated to run, creep, or stomp through brush with
      the Fugitive Hoody because it does not pill, snag, rip, or get 'stretched
      out'. The construction is superior, with welded seams, and after lots of
      hard use, there are no 'loose' threads, frayed areas, or worn spots.

      SUMMARY

      The Arc'Teryx Fugitive Hoody is a light weight, wicking, light wind and
      water repellent full zip hooded fleece. It has minimalist design, and a
      formfitting cut. It can be used over a wide range of temperatures and
      conditions because it is light weight, form fitting, dries quickly, and
      provides light weather repellency. It seems quite impervious to rips,
      snags, or stretching from underbrush, sharp or rough rocks, or backpack
      strap rubbing. The thinness and lightness of the hoody allows it to be
      compressed in a pack, or worn without being too bulky with a backpack on.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Thinness - not bulky at all for fleece
      Quick drying
      Minimalist design (there are no 'features' to fool with or to break).
      Inside fleece is very soft

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Zipper gets hung up on the hard backed fleece chin protector at the top of
      the zipper
      Polartec WindPro in this hoody only provides minimal to light wind
      protection, though the water repellency seems satisfactory given the
      material.

      SIGNATURE

      Matt Mioduszewski

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.