REPOST: MSR Dragonfly Stove - Roger Ault

  • chance4272
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
      Mr. Caffin,
      I sincerely appreciate the change in tone. I hope it doesn't cause
      friction to persist.

      I have made the changes, and will endeavor to be more vigilant in the
      future.

      I considered changing the "fuel valves" to "control valves" I have
      not done so purely because I did not want to create further delays.(I
      did not change anything except as noted in this edit) However if you
      still wish for the change to be made I will make it.

      The HTML version can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/b2ng68

      Sincerely,
      Roger Ault

      MSR DRAGONFLY STOVE
      BY ROGER AULT
      OR
      February 18, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Roger Ault
      EMAIL: chance4272@...
      AGE: 45
      LOCATION: Spencer, Indiana USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 276 lb (125.00 kg)

      I have been camping for several years. I had limited chances as a
      child but have been camping a lot the past 20 years. I love
      backpacking and consider myself moderately equipped although I can
      never have enough gear. I want to spend more time winter camping. I
      typically carry 25 - 45 pounds (~11 - 20 kg). I generally use a tent
      for shelter. I generally hike in the woods and rolling hills of
      Indiana.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research
      "http://www.msrgear.com/" LINK TEXT = "msrgear.com">>
      MSRP: US $129.95
      Listed Weight: 14 oz (395 g) stove with pump
      Measured Weight: 13.5 oz (383 g)
      Folded dimensions of stove: 5.5 X 6.5 X 4 in (140 X 165 X 102 mm)
      (including fuel hose)
      Open dimensions of stove: 9 X 7 X 4 in (229 X 178 X 102 mm)
      (including fuel hose)
      Fuel Bottle: 22 oz (650 ml) capacity 2.9 X 9.25 in (74 X 235 mm) 5 oz
      (142 g) (others available)
      Field weight: Stove, pump, stuff sack, windscreen, maintenance kit,
      empty 22 oz (650 ml) fuel bottle 23 oz (652 g)
      Fuel types: (as stated by manufacturer) White gas, kerosene, unleaded
      gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel. I have always used white gas. Tonight
      I tried some diesel fuel and found it less volatile but with a small
      effort it seemed to work fair. White gas is preferable to me for it's
      clean burning and being easier to get going.

      The Dragonfly has three stainless steel wire leg/pot supports which
      also support the burner base and burner. These fold in and snap in
      place to pack away. They also provide a very stable surface for the
      stove base and a pot. The burner is suspended in a heavy aluminum
      base and pivots to pack away.One fuel valve protrudes out the side
      and has the fuel hose attached. The fuel hose clips into the fuel
      pump and there is a second fuel valve located at the pump. The pump
      screws into the fuel bottle, which is pressurized by pumping.

      The Dragonfly stove comes with a windscreen, fuel pump, instructions,
      maintenance kit, stuff sack as well as the stove itself. Altogether
      17.5 oz (496 g). It is possible to shave a couple ounces (57 g) by
      leaving the windscreen at home.

      Fuel bottles are sold separately and are available in 3 sizes at
      $10.95 - $14.95 MSRP. I have a 22 oz and it will last for a few days
      for a couple of people.

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "MSR Dragonfly" IMAGE CAPTION
      = "courtesy msrgear.com">>

      I have used this stove for several years in all types of weather and
      temps from 0 F to 95 F (-18 C - 35 C). I use it for backpacking as
      well as car camping. I tend to prefer my "regular gear" even when car
      camping. I carry a 22 oz (650 ml) fuel bottle which is made of
      aluminum and also available from MSR. This stove has always performed
      quite well for me. The area here in Indiana, USA is generally 500 -
      1000 ft (152 - 305 m). I spend a great deal of my time just wandering
      here in Indiana and hoping to do more traveling in the future.

      Setup is literally a snap. I just snap open the three wire pot
      supports/legs and connect to the fuel pump after removing the cap
      from the fuel bottle and inserting the pump. The fuel tube inserts
      into the pump and is clipped in place with a wire retainer. I always
      place the bottle stopper cap in the bag when using the stove to keep
      track of it. It is gray and not very large so it could probably be
      lost easily. (Maybe I should paint it a bright color?) I keep a
      butane lighter in the pouch the stove packs in. This works well but a
      match works even better and I always carry matches everywhere I go.

      The first time or two using it was a little tricky to get the correct
      amount of fuel to prime the stove successfully. After that it has
      become quite easy and functions as I feel it should. I really like
      the fact that it can go from a light simmer to a blowtorch and
      virtually anywhere in between with the two fuel adjustments provided.
      One control valve is on the fuel pump and a second one at the stove.
      With a little practice I found this works very well.

      At temperatures near 0F (-18C) getting going can take just a little
      more priming. I usually start to open the valve and if it doesn't
      generate a flame I back off and allow more more priming fuel to burn
      to produce more heat. After it is burned I can slowly open the fuel
      valve to produce a usable flame.

      I also like the stability of this stove. There is a large pot support
      surface that works very well. The base is large enough that once a
      nice level spot is located this stove sits quite steadily. It packs
      easily into the MSR Blacklite pot that I generally use. I have also
      put my stainless steel coffee cup on the "cup" (main burner cup) of
      this stove and lightly simmered to keep coffee warm in cold weather.

      Meals can vary from dehydrated meals purchased in advance to going to
      the grocery and getting creative. It usually just depends on my mood
      and if I feel like going for the dehydrated meals. These are not
      available in grocery stores and tend to be a little expensive yet
      very convenient. Quickly heating water and being able to eat in a few
      minutes leaves more time to enjoy the surroundings.

      I have seen where some question the plastic fuel pump. My experience
      has been good with this pump and only minor cleaning and maintenance
      has been necessary so far in several years of use. Maintenance and
      repairs can be done in the field, however I prefer to do all I can at
      home. Some of the parts are quite small and could easily be lost
      outdoors. If I do any work in the field it has to be done on a towel
      or something where any dropped parts can be easily seen.

      SUMMARY

      This stove performs well and has held up nicely over the years. It is
      not ultra compact or ultralight but is packable inside a pot and is
      not that heavy for the many features provided. I like to cook on the
      trail and this stove does an excellent job. The manufacturer states
      multiple fuels can be used although I have only used white gas while
      camping. The fuel jet can be cleaned by shaking and should be done
      regularly. MSR claims 126 minutes of burn time on 20 oz (600 ml)
      white gas fuel. I have never actually timed a tank of fuel but it
      does seem to last well. Boil times vary but I have experienced
      anywhere from a little over 3 minutes up to near 4 minutes for
      approximately one quart (.95 L).

      I feel this is a dependable and versatile stove even though for
      weight and compactness it is neither the lightest nor the smallest. I
      cannot say how it would do at higher altitudes because I have never
      done any climbing.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1) Adjustability of flame.
      2) Stability of stove with larger pots
      3) Multi fuel capability
      4) Aluminum fuel bottle with good sealing cap
      5) Low fuel consumption

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      The windscreen that is supplied is not that strong and could be
      better. I have found that placing rocks or pieces of wood around
      generally serves the purpose for me.

      SIGNATURE

      Roger D. Ault

      Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.