OR - Just Veggies - David Wilkes

  • amatbrewer
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2009
      Below is the text for a short (and hopefully sweet) OR for "Just
      Veggies". The report can be found in the OR folder @
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20JustVeggies%20-%20David%20Wilkes/
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/dx54zq

      Thanks in advance for the edits!
      Dave

      Just Veggies from the "Just Tomatoes, Etc.!" company is a combination
      of dried carrots, corn, peas, bell peppers and tomatoes, and
      "Absolutely nothing added". It is available in six sizes:
      • 0.75 oz Snack Bag
      • 3 oz Ziplock Bag
      • 4 oz Small Tub
      • 0.5 oz Large Tub
      • 1 lb Tub
      • 6 lb Bulk Bag

      Nutritional Information (from manufacturer's web site)
      Serving Size: 1 oz.
      Servings Per Container: 4
      Product Size: 4 oz. tub
      Calories: 100
      Fat Calories: 10
      Total Fat: 1g
      Sodium: 40mg
      Total Carbohydrate: 21g
      Dietary Fiber: 2g
      Sugars: 10g
      Protein: 4g
      Vitamin A: 210%
      Vitamin C: 60%
      Calcium: 4%
      Iron: 8%

      In the last 12 months, I have purchased and consumed three of the 3 oz
      bags (the only size available in my local stores). The first bag I
      tried at home then finished during a day hike as a snack directly out
      of the bag. The second and third bags were consumed while testing an
      alcohol stove, while I ate some of it directly from the bag when
      hiking, and used some as a salad topping (at home), most was added to
      broth and other ingredients to make soup for dinners while backpacking.
      This is a key ingredient to my current favorite backpacking meal –
      tortellini & veggie soup.
      • 8 oz ( 250 ml) water
      • 1 bouillon cube (I prefer chicken but any should work)
      • 4 oz ( 113 g) mini dried tortellini (I prefer the 3 cheese or cheese
      and spinach)
      • 1 small handful Just Veggies (more or less to taste)
      Add all ingredients to pot, bring to boil and simmer until tortellini
      and veggies are tender. I find it takes about 10min of simmering after
      the water boils. To save fuel (or when I am using an alcohol stove),
      after bringing the water to a boil I wrap the pot in insulation and
      allow to sit for 15-20min.

      I find the aroma of the dried tomatoes to be very alluring and always
      makes my mouth water. I do love my veggies, and greatly enjoy the
      added dimension that these contribute to my hiking and backpacking
      cuisine. I find the veggies when added to my food brighten up the
      flavors and add depth as well as texture. As a snack directly from the
      bag, the veggies are a bit dry, but tasty and are a welcome change
      from GORP and energy bars. When I first looked at the product, I
      expected the corn and peas to be very hard and crunchy. Upon first
      tasting them, I was quite surprised to find them reasonably crunchy
      but not difficult to chew at all. The texture is difficult to
      describe, and I find the taste to be addictive. When I start eating
      them, I find it difficult to put the bag away. The slightly sweet
      taste of the corn and tomato for me is very satisfying, and the fact
      that it is nothing but dried vegetables, makes it guilt free. I like
      to believe it in some way helps to offset my favorite hiking lunch – Spam.
      The manufacturer's web page contains links to recipes and recipe
      contests for adults as well as kids. They also have nutrition related
      education projects for teachers. Just Tomatoes offers a wide array of
      dried vegetables and fruit (organic and conventional) as well as fruit
      powders, in an assortment of sizes. They also offer gift baskets
      containing assorted combinations of their products.

      I need to add one slight correction to the above. I purchased another
      bag of Just Veggies for reference while writing this. The bag was
      empty before I finished writing this OR.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager