Owner Review of Light My Fire Spork by David Stancil

  • david.stancil@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      LIGHT MY FIRE SPORK
      BY DAVID STANCIL
      OWNER REVIEW
      MARCH 01, 2009

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: David Stancil
      EMAIL: david.j.stancil@...
      AGE: 22
      LOCATION: Chicago, IL
      GENDER: Male
      HEIGHT: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      WEIGHT: 205 lb (93 kg)

      I have been backpacking and camping for roughly 12 years. In the
      past I have carried heavy loads but am slowly converting my gear to
      lightweight. I hike mainly in the Midwest and I am a year round
      hiker. My trips usually consist of hikes lasting no more than 2-3
      days and have a distance of roughly 25 miles (40.25 km).

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Light My Fire
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: www.lightmyfire.com
      MSRP: None Listed
      Model: Regular Polycarbonate Spork (Orange)
      Listed Weight: 0.32 oz (9 g)
      Measured Weight: 0.35 oz (10 g)
      Other Details: Available in 20 colors, 3 different sizes (regular,
      extra-medium, large), and 2 materials; polycarbonate and titanium.

      FIELD USE

      I have had the Light My Fire Spork for 7 months and have used it to
      eat and prepare all of my backpacking/camping meals. It has been
      used primarily with the GSI Soloist Cook System using both a canister
      stove and alcohol stove.

      The food I normally prepare while backpacking is what I would
      consider basic backpacking food. I am not a gourmet chef in the
      backcountry and like to keep my meals simple, hassle free, and easy
      to clean up. I usually stick to dehydrated bag meals, ramen noodles,
      instant rice, pasta, and the manufactured meals such as Mountain
      House or Backpackers Pantry when I am feeling lazy.

      So far the Light My Fire Spork has spent time with me in both
      summer/fall and winter. I have had this spork in temperatures
      ranging from 100 deg. F (38 deg. C) to 15 deg. F (-9 deg. C). I have
      found that there is no change is performance or quality with
      temperature change.

      REVIEW

      The Light My Fire Spork is a lightweight eating utensil comprised of
      a spoon on one end and a 4 tined fork on the other end with a short
      serrated edge on the edge of the farthest tine of the fork. The
      spork has an overall length of 6.5 inches (16.5 cm) which I find is a
      decent size. It is just long enough to get into the bottom of my pot
      or a bag of dehydrated food without having to struggle to get the
      contents out. I find that I use the spoon side of the spork much
      more than I do the fork/knife portion. I find the spoon to be deep
      enough for my purposes and have no trouble eating soup. The fork is
      more useful for longer pasta that I have not broken up such as
      spaghetti or ramen.

      The material used does make it a bit slippery compared to a metal
      fork but it does serve its purpose. The only portion of the spork
      that I do not use is the serrated portion of the fork. I find that
      it is not very useful in cutting much of anything. I also really
      don't have a use for it due to the fact that I usually do not have
      food that needs a knife to be eaten. I find that the knife is really
      a mute point; it neither hinders the performance of the fork nor
      enhances it. If I do have anything that I need to cut such as
      vegetables, fruit, or bread I just use my personal pocket knife to do
      the job which makes much more sense.

      Cleaning the spork is certainly a pleasure. The polycarbonate
      material used makes cleanup very easy. I usually clean my spork with
      a little bit of water and a bandana. If cleaned this way I find that
      there is little residual smell imparted on the spork as I have found
      found with some other plastic eating utensils/containers.

      This is a very tough eating utensil. There is quite a bit of give in
      the way that you can bend it without it breaking. I have not noticed
      any melting, chipping, or scratches to my spork even though it is
      going on 7 months old. I will say that this is my second spork after
      I broke the first at no fault of the product. It had fallen on the
      ground and was against a small stone. When I went to pick it up I
      had slipped and stepped on it which resulted in it snapping in half.
      I was a bit upset seeing as it was my only eating utensil. I solved
      the problem with a bit of duct tape and a small stick and it made it
      thru the rest of the trip wonderfully. Overall I think this is a
      wonderful addition to anyone who is looking for an all purpose,
      lightweight, inexpensive eating utensil. I would highly recommend
      this product.

      Things I Like:

      Cheap
      Lightweight
      Strong
      No tiny crevices for food to get stuck
      Easy clean up

      Things I Don't Like:

      The knife is a little useless if you carry a pocket knife.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2009
        Hi David,

        Welcome to BGT and thanks for your Spork OR. Before I can add it to the edit queue you will need to revised the report with more specific use data. I know it may be hard to recall the exact number of times you have used it over 7 months you have had it but give us your best guess please. When you have added this info. to the report please repost it with REvised add to the subject line.

        Thank you,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Admin Manager
      • richardglyon
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2009
          David,

          Jamie picked up another EDIT, and another reason to request a mentor. Richard