OR- Big Sky Summit Evolution Improved 1P 1D 1V Shelter- Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2009
      Dear Mystery Editor,

      Here is another OR for your delight to take to.

      A copy is in the test folder.

      The link is:

      DATE: 27th February, 2009

      Summit Evolution 1P 1D 1V Shelter

      Summit Evolution 1P 1D 1V Shelter

      Personal Information

      Name: Ralph Ditton

      Age: 56

      Gender: Male

      Height: 1. 76 m (5 ft 9 in)

      Weight: 71 kg (156.5 lb)

      Email: rdassetts at optusnet dot com dot au

      City: Perth. Western Australia. Australia

      Backpacking Background

      My playgrounds are the Bibbulmun Track and the Coastal Plain Trail. I

      aim to become a sectional end-to-end walker of the Bibbulmun Track. I am

      nearly there as it is 964 km (603 mi) long. My pack weight including

      food and water tends to hover around 18 kg (40 lb) but I am trying to

      get lighter. My trips range from overnighters to five days duration.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Big Sky Products - Jackson, Wyoming - USA

      Manufacturers website: http://www.bigskyproducts.com/

      Year of Manufacture: 2007

      Made in: China.

      Batch: T07H006

      Model:Summit Evolution Improved 1P 1D 1V Shelter

      Colour: Granite Grey

      Sleeping capacity: 1

      Number of poles: 2

      Pole choice: Aluminium or Carbon

      Aluminium poles: 7075 - T9 Easton main tube 8.74 mm (0.344 in)

      7075 - T9 Easton insert tube 7.07 mm

      (0.303 in)

      Tensile strength of aluminium pole: 67 Kg/mm² (96,000 PSI)

      Rainfly fabric: 30 D Silnylon

      Inner fabric: No-see-um mesh

      Floor fabric: 30 D Silnylon

      ShelterSavers ground sheet with webbing tie straps

      Factory seamed sealed: yes

      Door: 1

      Zips: 2 YKK on the inner and 1 YKK on the fly.

      MSRP: Shelter with aluminium poles only: US$249.95

      Shelter with a set of carbon and aluminium poles: US$349.95

      Carbon Poles only: US$100

      ShelterSavers ground sheet without grommets: US$14.95

      Listed Measurements

      Shelter without accessories + carbon poles : 916 g (2 lb 0.3 oz)

      Shelter without accessories + aluminium poles : 1. 05 kg (2 lb 4.9 oz)

      Pole diameter: Aluminium 8.74 mm (0.344 in)

      Carbon 7.42 mm (0.292 in)

      Floor length and tapered width dimensions: 213 cm x 91 cm x 61 cm (84 in

      x 36 in x 24 in)

      ShelterSaver length and tapered width dimensions: 200 cm x 79 cm x 53

      cm (79 in x 31 in x 21 in)

      Peak height: 99 cm (39 in)

      Floor area: 1.62 sq m (17.5 sq ft)

      Vestibule area: 0.84 sq m (9 sq ft)

      Packed size: 13 cm x 48 cm (5 in x 19 in)

      Accessories: 2 Easton aluminium stakes and 6 Ti Stakes kit: 77g (2.7 oz)

      4 reflective spectra guy lines with 4 Easton

      aluminium stakes kit: 61 g (2.1 oz)

      My Measurements

      Weight of Rainfly: 342 g (12.06 oz)

      Weight of Inner: 376 g (13.26 oz)

      Weight of Aluminium poles: 338 g (11.92 oz)

      Weight of Carbon poles: 216 g (7.61 oz)

      Weight of repair sleeve: 8 g (0.28 oz)

      Weight of stuff sack: 35 g (1.23 oz)

      Weight of ShelterSaver ground sheet with webbing tie straps: 74 g (2.6 oz)

      Weight of shelter without accessories + aluminium poles:1 kg 56 g (2.33 lb)

      Weight of shelter without accessories + carbon poles : 934 g (2.05 lb)

      Weight of shelter in my backpack with aluminium poles and the two above

      stake and guy line kits: 1 kg 198 g (2.64 lb)

      Length of tent poles fully extended: Aluminium 3m 615 mm (11 ft 10½ in)

      Carbon 3m 630mm (11 ft 11 in)

      Length of each pole section: Aluminium 445 mm (1 ft 5½ in)

      Carbon 457 mm (1 ft 6 in)

      Repair sleeve : 126 mm (5 in) long

      Floor area inside inner: 213 cm (long) x 91 cm (head end) x 61 cm (foot

      end) (84 in x 36 in x 24 in)

      Inner door: 109 cm long x 80 cm high (43 in x 31.5 in)

      Peak height inside inner: 1 m (39 in)

      Pocket in inner at the head end: 55 cm long (base) x 19.5 cm high x 38.5

      cm opening x 21 cm (21.6 in x 7.6 in x 15 in x 8.3 in)

      Pocket in inner at foot end: 51 cm long (base) x 27 cm high x 35.5 cm

      opening x 32 cm (20 in x 10.6 in x 14 in x 12.5 in)

      Packed size:

      Diameter of repair sleeve: 9 mm (3/8 in) inside

      11 mm (7/16 in) outside

      Diameter of tent poles: Aluminium 8 mm (6/16 in)

      Carbon 7 mm (5/16 in)

      Roughly measured for each vestibule area: 0.79 sq m (8½ sq ft)

      Number of pole sections per tent pole: 9

      Internal loops in Inner: 7

      Product Description

      The Big Sky Summit Evolution Improved 1P 1D 1V shelter is a one person,

      free-standing, one door, one vestibule shelter with an inner and a

      rainfly. In fact, there is a de facto vestibule also on the non-door

      side. Due to the cut of the rainfly (hereinafter known as "fly") there

      is an excess of material that requires the fly to be stretched out and

      pegged. This created the de facto vestibule which is the same in area as

      the legitimate vestibule on the door side. To gain access and put items

      in there, I have to lift the stake loop over the tent peg and lift the

      fly up. When finished, I just slip the stake loop back over the tent

      peg. There is no zippered access to it.

      A) The fly.

      The colour of the fly is Granite Grey and the material is silnylon, but

      to me it looks like a very light olive green and I find that it is a

      very pleasing colour. There are four plastic/nylon type material dog

      clips that clip onto the respective loops on the inner. There is one on

      each corner. Two at one end of the fly are attached to red strips of

      material that are sewn to the edge of the fly. The other two clips at

      the other end are attached to black strips. This is the colour coding to

      match the fly to the inner as there are red and black strips on the

      corners there also. There are four cord tie down points around the

      perimeter of the fly. They are all halfway on each side The door entry

      runs vertically from the base to the vent at the top. Underneath the

      flap covering the zipper there are two small patches of hook and loop,

      one at the bottom and the other about halfway. So when I go to open the

      fly I have to break apart these two patches so that the fly can be

      opened for me to get in and out of. The zipper pulls are yellow cord

      with a reflective strip woven into them. There is one for the outside

      and one for the inside of the tent. At the top of the fly there is a

      vent that can be propped open by a little rod covered in silnylon that

      has a foot of loop that marries up with a patch of hook on the other

      edge of the vent. The vent can only be opened so far because there is a

      strip of black ribbon that is attached to both sides of the vent. Along

      the four outside edges where the poles go behind, there is a reflective

      strip about halfway along. On the door side immediately above these

      reflective strips there is a toggle which marries up with a loop on the

      underside to keep the door open when rolled back. The fly is further

      secured to the poles by way of a wrap around hook and loop system. They

      are around halfway along the stand up sewn seams. The final piece de

      resistance is the "Egyptian Eye" window sewn and seam sealed into the

      fly. It is 24 cm long and at the highest point 10 cm (9.5 in x 4 in). At

      certain spots along the seam I can see where the seam sealing brushwork

      was a bit dodgy as it has intruded onto the window from between a half

      and full brush width of 8 mm (0.3 in). The bottom edge is the one mostly

      B) The inner.

      The tub floor is made out of silnylon and is navy blue in colour. The

      height of three of the sides are 17 cm (6.7 in) and the head end is 24

      cm (9.4 in). From the four corners of the tub floor are two strips of

      material that are joined to a piece of webbing that has a grommet and

      elastic loop. The grommet hole is for the end of the tent pole to hook

      into and the webbing is an anchor point for a tent peg. When stretched

      out fully the straps form a triangle with the side of the tub floor

      forming the vertical base. At the foot end, two of the straps are red

      for the colour coding match up with the fly.

      Stitched to the tub is a canopy made of no-see-um mesh. Attached to the

      outside of the canopy along the seams that run diagonally form corner to

      corner are the pole clips that hook onto the tent poles. There are

      fourteen of them. At the very apex, instead of a pole clip there is a

      loop and buckle. This is where the poles cross over. Just like on the

      fly and in the same position, there are four reflector tabs that serve a

      purpose when the inner is being used only.

      The door is quite generous in size. It is 80 cm (31.5 in) high and 109

      cm (43 in) long at the deepest part. The end that opens is gently

      curved. The two door zippers have two reflective loops attached to them.

      One for the inside and the other for the outside operations. Inside the

      tent there are two pockets whose dimensions are mentioned above under

      "Lengths". They are both on the door side of the canopy. There are seven

      loops along the seams. Four of them are clustered in such a way that

      they are anchor points for a gear loft. There is one loop that is at the

      very apex of the canopy and the other two are located 40 cm (15.7 in)

      above the tub line at the head end. To hold the rolled open door

      together, there is a toggle and loop arrangement to facilitate this.

      C) Fabric

      I contacted the manufacturer to find out the denier of the silnylon, the

      weight of the fabric per square metre and tear strength. I was advised

      that the nylon is 30 denier with silicone coating on both sides. The

      manufacturer does not give out the exact weight of the fabric per square

      metre expressed as g/m² (grams per square metre) nor tear strength.

      However, the manufacturer advises that the material is light weight and

      strong or stronger than similar fabric used in other shelters on the

      market. In addition I asked if the floor has a very high puncture and

      abrasion resistance. The response was that they use the strongest nylon

      yard in their fabric for strength and abrasion resistance.

      Changes/New Features

      I have an original model of this tent and there are a number of

      alterations and new features in the "Improved" version.

      The differences are set out below:

      Weight 392 g (13¾ oz)

      342 g (12¼ oz)

      Vent No strap across the base.

      Strap across the base.

      Window Larger. 26.5 cm x 12 cm (10.4 in

      x 4.7 in) Smaller 24 cm x 10 cm (9.5 in x 4 in)

      Weather flap over Opens to the left.

      Opens to the right.

      doorway zipper

      Stake out points No loops at halfway point at base

      on Loops at halfway point at base on all four sides.

      front and rear.

      Vestibules One.

      Tent pole set up Grommets at each corner for the

      Clips at each corner that clip onto the inner.

      pole tips to lock into.

      Weight 464 g (1 lb 3/8 oz)

      376 g (13¼ oz)

      Tent pole set up Two pole sleeves.

      Fourteen pole clips.

      Pockets Two. One the same size as in the

      Two. One the same as in the old version. The other pocket

      new version. The other

      is a very large is very much smaller. Both on the same side.

      triangular pocket. On

      alternate sides.

      Field Information

      My first trip with this tent was for two days and one night and took

      place on the Bibbulmun Track around the Murray River campsite.

      Temperatures during the hike ranged from 28 C to 33 C (82 F to 91 F).

      Humidity I estimated was around 70% judging by the amount sweat on my

      clothes. Elevations ranged from 143 m to 280 m (467 ft to 919 ft). The

      Ultra Violet Index peaked at 9 which is very high. During the evening

      when I went to bed around 8.30 pm I estimated the temperature to be

      about 18 C (64 F). I had the tent door on the fly zippered closed and

      the vent open. I did not leave the tent during the night, but when I got

      up at 6 am I noticed that there was a light mist present. I checked

      under the fly and sure enough, there was a very thin film of

      condensation that left a track in it when I drew my finger through it.

      When I was packing up the tent I gave the fly a good few flicks but did

      not notice any moisture flying away from the fabric. I was impressed

      with the two vestibules. I utilized both of them and the lifting up of

      the tent peg loop over the tent peg to gain access to the gear did not

      irritate my emotional well being. I had to go back and forth getting

      stuff as the afternoon progressed. Yes, I could have left the vestibule

      collapsed until I went to bed, but I liked the look of it fully pegged out.

      There were a lot of flies and very small biting insects but they did not

      gain access to the interior of the inner canopy although they buzzed and

      crawled around on the outside of the no-see-um mesh. I had a very sound

      My next trip was over the Easter break at Greens Island in the south

      west of Western Australia. This was a four day, three night camp out. I

      found a nice spot to pitch the tent just under a low hanging pine tree

      branch. For the first two nights it rained but not heavily. Just a

      steady patter on the tent fabric which was very soothing to listen to.

      Temperatures overnight averaged around 10 - 12 C (50 - 54 F). I had the

      vent open on all nights and no rain entered through it. Due to the high

      humidity and relatively still nights I was very surprised to find that

      there was no condensation inside on the fly, nor did the no-see-um mesh

      feel damp. The window was not much help as it was fogged over from the

      rain. On the morning when it did not rain overnight the window looked

      opaque and I couldn't see too much through it. During the day little

      ants tried to get inside the tent. All that they succeeded in doing was

      to craw all over the fly. I sprayed the fly fabric with my personal

      insect repellent which has the active ingredient of picaridin. It is

      tropical strength at 14.25%. I sprayed the tent on all three days. No

      damage was suffered by the fabric. When I got home, I washed the fly in

      warm water only to clean off the spray and dirt that had adhered to it

      after being wet. The rain beaded well on the fabric.

      The next trip was to the Granite Monolith area south of Perth. This was

      an overnighter. The overnight temperature from 7 pm to 6 pm when it was

      dark ranged from a high of 18 C (64 F) to a low of 12 C (53 F). Relative

      Humidity was stuck around 88% and it was very still with a clear sky.

      What this meant was that there was condensation on the tent even before

      I went to bed. Everyone's tent was wet before they got into theirs as we

      all commented about it. Needless to say, condensation also formed on the

      inside and where the inner touched against the fly it got wet. Some

      moisture did fall onto my sleeping bag but did not affect the down due

      to the waterproofing material of the sleeping bag. I did not have the

      choice of a large area to pitch the tent as the ground was sloping and

      had a lot of spiky short bushes. When I put my hand down on the ground

      it got pricked by very tiny little spikes like the very fine hairs from

      a blister bush. I swept the ground as best as I could. I did not carry a

      ground sheet so the floor of the tent went directly onto the ground. M

      sleeping bag and mat fitted very well inside the tent without either end

      touching the ends. This prevented the inner being pushed au against the

      fly and getting wet there. I placed my backpack in the de facto

      vestibule and the pack touched against the fly and it got wet where it

      touched. Moisture did not penetrate inside the pack. In the morning when

      I was packing up I noticed that a little bush had managed to puncture

      the floor, leaving a tiny pinprick of a hole. As the fly was very wet I

      flicked as much water off it as I could when packing up. In the process

      I got a good drenching also.

      Summit Evolution 1P 1D 1V Shelter

      Summit Evolution 1P shelter

      Upon returning home I washed the tent in plain luke warm water to clean

      it up as dirt had stuck to the floor.

      After this trip I purchased the new ground sheet designed for this model

      tent. It is called "ShelterSavers ground sheet" The model that I

      purchased does not have any grommets to hook onto the pole tips. Mine

      has coloured tapes which indicate which end they tie to. They match up

      with the colour coding straps on the inner. The ground sheet is tapered

      to match the base of the tent; wide at the head and narrow at the foot end.

      ShelterSaver ground sheet

      ShelterSaver ground sheet

      The photo below shows the tie for the ground sheet. The red tie matches

      the red strap so I have the ground sheet at the right end.

      ties on ground sheet

      ties on ground sheet

      On my next outing to the Coastal Plain where elevations range from 20 m

      to 80 m (65 ft to 197 ft) and the soil is very sandy. The trip lasted

      three nights and it rained on the last night whilst I was inside the

      tent. Overnight temperatures over the three nights ranged from a low of

      0.3 C to a high of 10.8 C (32.5 F to 51.5 F). (Source. Bureau of

      When I erected the tent, I noticed that the window had a patchy milky

      look. I tried rubbing it with a cloth and tissues, all to no avail. It

      would appear that the plastic of the window has been "bruised" in places

      thereby causing the milky appearance. I have notified the manufacturer.

      The plastic is very soft and pliable in my fingers, whereas on the old

      version the plastic is stiffer and is still very clear.

      window with milky look

      window with milky look

      The orange colour seen through the window is my sleeping bag.

      I heard back from the manufacturer very quickly who asked that I send

      the fly back to them so that they could examine the window and replace

      it with a clear window.

      After a few weeks the fly was returned with a new window. There is no

      cloudiness at all in the new window. I was extremely pleased with the

      turn around time and quick response to my problem. The only expense that

      I suffered was the postage cost to America which came in around AU$10.

      As this tent is a single person tent, there is not a lot of room left

      inside after putting my sleeping mat and sleeping bag inside. I always

      place a relatively full clothing stuff sack behind my pillow so that it

      fills the gap between the end of my mat and the wall of the tent so that

      the pillow does not end up on the floor of the tent during the night.

      looking inside the tent

      looking inside the tent

      During the course over the three nights I only experienced a very thin

      film of condensation on the underside of the fly for two of those

      nights. The first night and the last night. The Dew Point got close to

      the temperature on a few occasions. The first night the Dew Point was

      0.2 C (32 F) and the temperature was 1.5 C (35 F) at 1 am. The closest

      the Dew Point got on the second night was 2.7 C (37 F) when the

      temperature was 5.1 C (41 F) at 10 pm. The final night was when it

      rained. The Dew Point was 9 C (48 F) and the temperature was 10.7 C (51

      F) at 6 am whilst the humidity was 94%.

      The fly was very wet on the outside surface so I had to flick off as

      much water as I could before packing the tent away. I packed the inner

      away separately as I did not want to get it wet also.

      rain on fly

      rain on fly

      Subsequent outings have been to my favourite retreat at Prickly Bark on

      the Coastal Plain Trail where I love to go and chill out. There is a

      three sided shelter at the campsite but I prefer the tent as it offers

      protection from the flies, wasp and ticks that inhabit the area.

      Yes, I have had condensation issues on cool, dew laden still nights, but

      I have experienced this problem with other tents also, so it is not a

      fault of the tent. This comes with camping in a tent because hot air

      from a persons breath and body heat from the head and face will react

      with the cool air inside a tent and start to warm up the interior

      causing the condensation.

      I have had this tent for over a year now and have used it extensively

      during the year at various locations in Western Australia.

      The performance has been excellent and I love the size of the vestibule

      space on the door side and the de facto vestibule on the other side

      which is created when the fly is pegged out. It is a good place to store

      my backpack and boots so that they are out of the way as I don't use

      them whilst in camp. I always have camp boots/shoes for around camp and

      they live in the vestibule on the door side together with my cooking

      gear, stove, fuel, pot and eating utensils.

      I alternate between the carbon and aluminium poles just to give them

      both equal usage.

      Recently, I used the older version to see if I missed it and yes I did

      as I love them both. What I would love to see is the larger pocket on

      the older version incorporated in the newer version. I doubt that there

      would be any weight gain. The larger pocket is great for placing a damp

      shirt in the pocket to assist with drying during the night.

      What type of pole assembly do I prefer? Pole sleeves or clips? On

      balance, probably the clips. It is definitely much easier to erect and

      pull down using the clips. With the pole sleeve, the pole tip is

      scraping along the top of the pole sleeve when it reaches the top of the

      tent and then starts to bend over to go down the other side. I have to

      be careful that I do not punch or wear a hole through the sleeve and I

      have to assist it in the latter stages of feeding it through the sleeve

      as it can bunch up.

      The follow up service by the manufacturer was excellent and this speaks

      volumes about them caring for their product.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager