OR Titanium Spoon

  • Selena Leonard
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2009
      Here's a review of the MSR Titan Tool spoon. Tell me what you guys think.

      spoon link<http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20MSR%20Titan%20Tool%20Spoon/>

      And the text version . . .

      Personal Information
      Name: Selena Leonard
      Age: 22
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'7'' (1.7 m)
      Weight: 145 lbs (66 kg)
      Email Address: SelenaALeonard AT gmail DOT com
      City, State, Country: Des Moines, Iowa, USA.

      Backpacking Background
      I'm a repeat-offender thruhiker. The long hikes have been in the
      continental US in forests, plains, deserts, mountains, swamps, etc. As
      with thruhiking's nature, I have been in all of the worst and the best
      weather, and have had to hike through it, or camp in it. Besides long
      distance hikes, I've also backpacked in provincial Canada, and in the
      Alps. For weight, my pack generally is light to midline for the season
      and terrain. Two to seven days of food is regular, carrying 0.5 to 6
      liters of water. I generally hike 15-30 miles a day (24-48 km).

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research (MSR), a division of Cascade Designs
      Year of Purchase: 2006
      Listed Wt: 22 g (0.79 oz)
      Actual Weight (in 2009): 22 g (0.79 oz)
      Color: Natural Material
      Length: 6.9 in (17.5 cm)
      Material: Titanium
      Manufacturing Country: USA
      MSRP: $17 USD

      Product Description
      The titanium Titan Tool Spoon is not just sold as a lightweight, durable
      spoon. It also has the tools a person needs for "maintaining and
      cleaning MSR stove cables and jets." (REI's product page) The handle
      has two sizes of wrenches, and a square hole.

      Official Photo (Photo from MSR website, accessed February 2009)

      Modified Spoon (Photo taken February 2009 by Selena Leonard)

      On the Appalachian Trail, I carried a stainless steel spoon. I never
      liked the taste of it; but, I was able to use it for cooking at high
      temperatures. Lexan spoons work; but, I've also had them break on me.
      And, it's never fun being in the middle of the woods, hungry, and now a
      proud owner of a finger scoop.

      Following that trip, I looked in every shop in Des Moines for a titanium
      spoon. Three months, and a half dozen outfitters later, I came across
      this spoon. So, I bought it, just in time for the Florida Trail.

      I've been carrying it ever since.

      Field Information
      This spoon has been used for countless meals. It is my pot stirrer, a
      peanut butter scoop, an ice cream spoon, my eating utensil, and many
      other things, including a mini pry bar. It has been through everything.
      Weather, water, and heat have not fazed it. I plan to use it,
      indefinitely, for future outings.

      For me, titanium is the ultimate, lightweight dinnerware. It currently
      is expensive; but, it has little taste to it, is strong, heat resistant,
      durable (doesn't dent/bend easily), and cools quickly.

      There are approximately 4 designs of titanium spoons on the market.
      One, is a spork. The trouble with a spork is that it is difficult to
      scrape the bottom of the pot; and, it is difficult to ladle soup or
      other watery foods.

      Secondly, is the long handled spoon. By function, this is a nice idea.
      In actuality, I've never used one. By comparison, I was able to fit my
      old stainless steel spoon in my 0.8 liter titanium cook pot; but, the
      MSR tool spoon does not fit. The handle of the MSR spoon is just short
      enough that it is easy to get food on one's finger knuckles when eating
      out of a Jetboil pot, a quart sized freezer bag, or a freeze dried meal
      bag. It is appoximately the same length as a standard teaspoon, and
      does fit into my Jetboil pot when the ignitor isn't in there.

      The third style is the standard spoon, with no extra tools. This type
      of spoon is typically sold as part of a set, along with a fork, and
      sometimes a knife. Conveniently, buying the MSR tool spoon did not
      require me to find a place for spare utensils I'll never use. But, the
      advantage of these spoons is that they are the most simple, full
      handled, titanium spoon designs around.

      Which, number four style, is the multiuse MSR tool spoon. Not being a
      MSR stove user, I have no use for all those tools. The wrench wasn't
      the right size the one time I needed a wrench. And, actually, I have
      had to duct tape the end wrench because it was poking holes into my
      otherwise hole-free food bag (I allow the spoon to float around in my
      food bag, so each night it's like going on a treasure hunt). Duct tape
      has solved that. It has held up to quite a few dishwasher washings, too.

      Also on the tool spoon are three small holes, of descending size, along
      the handle. I'm not sure what they're for (visual stimulus?), and they
      are my biggest complaint with the spoon. They are close enough to the
      eating end of the spoon that food gets into the holes, and they are
      small enough that the food isn't readily accessable when cleaning the
      spoon. The smallest hole (and closest to the spoon bowl), has to be
      cleaned with something as small as a safety pin. Personally, I find
      this situation gross; but, I can't figure out how to fix it.

      In summary, the titanium features are nice in this spoon. I also like
      that I didn't have to buy a full silverware set to get a spoon. The
      spoon is a decent, standard size; but, if it were shorter, or longer, it
      would be more efficient in fitting in pots, or reaching the bottoms of
      pots, respectively. I do not use a MSR stove, so I cannot comment on
      how functional the tools are; but, I have found that the wrench tool on
      the end is too sharp for my lightweight backpacking gear. And, finally,
      the little holes on the handle near the eating end get food in them, and
      make it difficult to clean the spoon thoroughly. Overall, this spoon
      works for me; but, I do plan to replace it someday with something
      simpler in design.

      Features I like about the Tool Spoon:

      - Titanium
      - Relatively tasteless
      - Low heat conduction
      - Doesn't melt when cooking
      - Won't break
      - Good length to hold
      - Standard teaspoon size

      Features I dislike about the Tool Spoon:

      - Holes in handle get food in them
      - Difficult to clean because of holes
      - Wrench on end of handle is sharp

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009

        Edit Administration Manager
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2010
          RICHARD - Selena Leonard(M)(2) - MSR TITAN TOOL SPOON - Posted Feb 24(msg#77220), Taken Mar 9, Edit Mar 9(77277), OOP until Aug, Repost Nov 16, Edit: Test folder version requested Nov 17(78473), HTML link posted Nov 27, Edit/Approved Nov 30(78556), follow up sent Jan 8

          Hi Selena,

          After reviewing our edit queue I noticed you have not uploaded this approved report. Anything we help with to get it done?

          Let me know what your plans are.
          Jamie D.
          BGT Edit Admin Manager